Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Is there any evidence that memory training is needed on every boot up?

Here’s what Crucial has to say about it:

”A small number of DDR5 systems and motherboards require a period of "training" newly installed memory to work with the system and allow access to the UEFI, or otherwise to complete the system's power-on self-test (POST).
[…]
After this process is complete, future reboots will not require this wait [training], unless hardware is changed again in the future or other modifications are made in the system's BIOS or UEFI, in which case another delayed startup for this process may be seen.”
Just wanted to add for the record, that on my MSI B650 Edge WiFi board with v17 bios, booting a 32GB kit at 4800 or 5200 & with manual primary timing changes that I entered did not require memory training. The system booted up like a normal system should. Perhaps this is also to do with pushing memory bandwidth beyond AMD officially supported spec for Zen 4 IMC which is 5200MT/S?
Also the training mechanism seems to vary from board to board & agesa to agesa versions from I've found, at least on my Gigabyte & MSI boards so far with bios updates. This is using the exact same memory kit too.
I'm still on v15. I wanted to wait to update the BIOS until after the SOC voltage issue had some time to be fixed and tested before I updated. Lately I haven't had much time to spend on the system so I've not updated yet. I do agree that while trying out new settings any time you have to clear CMOS sucks. And I have a vertical mount GPU!!! So I bought a switch to connect to the clear CMOS pins and ran it outside of my case for easy access. For my system I simply spent time getting the voltage and power settings where I wanted and just enabled XMP. Then Buildzoid's video came out so I tried his settings and tried to push things a little more. Finally settled on what I felt was a good balance of performance without pushing too far. I've not used the Nitro training you mention. In fact, I'm not even sure where that is in the BIOS. I don't recall running into that option or maybe they renamed in it later BIOS versions?
The SOC voltage issue from some time ago now is certainly fixed limiting it to 1.30v max only. Yes, If I am to continue using this board for OC I'll have to get one of those eternal switches to clear the CMOS. But one should not have to do that when the Bios recovery screen can enter into the failed boot process & prompt the user to reconfigure their system like GIgabyte have done on my B650 board from them. Don't know why MSI can't do this. I only had to manually clear the CMOS on that board once within a couple months of experimenting with RAM OC. Completely different situation with this MSI board.
Nitro options can be found like this - Settings > Advanced > AMD Overclocking > "Accept" > DDR & Infinity Fabric Frequency / Timings > DDR Options . DDR5 Nitro Mode - click on Auto & select enable to enter the sub menu & you'll see what I mean.
When I enable XMP with my set of ram, 3 settings were automatically preconfigured here in this Nitro sub menu, the rest where on auto. Gigabyte had the nitro options but did not have those pre-configurations that MSI have . Interesting to say the least!

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
What does everyone use to stress test the CPU for temperatures? Right now, all I've been doing is downloading lost software so I've not really stressed the CPU and my temps are in the mid-40's on HWiNFO64.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Is there any reason for me to get a X670E instead of a B650 motherboard if I'm going not going to be using any PCI-E 5.0 devices now or within the next 2 years? I've been considering upgrading to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D system and narrowed my motherboard choice to either the MSI Tomahawk B650 or the MSI Tomahawk X670E. Is the B650 chipset just as reliable as the X670E chipset when it comes to USB devices? With my current motherboard, Asus B550-F Strix Wi-Fi, I have some USB connection issues with certain USB devices and I don't want to have the same issue on my next motherboard and I will go spend the extra money for an X670E instead of a B650 if the B650 is unreliable with certain USB devices but the X670E isn't.

Reactions: lightmanek

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Is there any reason for me to get a X670E instead of a B650 motherboard if I'm going not going to be using any PCI-E 5.0 devices now or within the next 2 years? I've been considering upgrading to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D system and narrowed my motherboard choice to either the MSI Tomahawk B650 or the MSI Tomahawk X670E. Is the B650 chipset just as reliable as the X670E chipset when it comes to USB devices? With my current motherboard, Asus B550-F Strix Wi-Fi, I have some USB connection issues with certain USB devices and I don't want to have the same issue on my next motherboard and I will go spend the extra money for an X670E instead of a B650 if the B650 is unreliable with certain USB devices but the X670E isn't.
I haven't had any trouble with USB devices on either AM5 platform at my house. I believe with the x670e boards you get 10gb lan over 2.5 with b650. When I made my purchase I couldn't see spending the extra money on x670E.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I've had more trouble on my daughter's Gigabyte B650 board than I have with my MSI B650 board.
Could have been early BIOS issues. Are you still having issues with it? From what I've read, Gigabyte AM5 mobos so far have the best DDR5 support and shortest boot times. And @biostud is pretty pleased with his ASROCK mobo. I would have remembered if someone here had sung the praises for his MSI AM5 mobo.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Why MSI?

Gigabyte then ASROCK for best AM5 experience. Haven't read anything exceptional about MSI AM5 mobos. ASUS if you want their BIOS intern cooking your 7800X3D.
Because I narrowed it down to those 2 motherboard. However, I will consider the Gigabyte B650 Aorus Pro.
Could have been early BIOS issues. Are you still having issues with it? From what I've read, Gigabyte AM5 mobos so far have the best DDR5 support and shortest boot times. And @biostud is pretty pleased with his ASROCK mobo. I would have remembered if someone here had sung the praises for his MSI AM5 mobo.
Does this really matter if I plan on using DDR5-5600 JEDEC memory without XMP/EXPO and run it at the JEDEC 5200 profile setting? I plan on getting the 64GB Crucial Pro DDR5-5600 kit, which should have a JEDEC 5200 profile and I don't intend to use anything other than the JEDEC 5200 profile as that's what is the fastest memory officially supported by the Ryzen 7800X3D. I've read some user reviews that some people with Ryzen 7000 series CPUs can't run DDR5-6000 at their rated 6000 speed without issues and that companies consider XMP an overclock and warranty will be voided if the CPU manufacturer finds out that XMP was used such as if you tell them that you had XMP enabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:

H433x0n

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2023
No, B650 is just as reliable as X670. I’d recommend Asrock for any AM5 motherboard but MSI is fine as well.

The usb dropouts I’ve noticed has mainly been related to cIOD binning. If it does occur (which is pretty unlikely) it can usually be fixed by gradually raising vSOC until the problem subsides.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
No it's been working fine lately. Had issues with memory on first hoot. Took a few hours to get things working. She was also having issues with the Ethernet port randomly not working on boot up. Didn't even show up in device manager. She would have to reboot it. I don't remember what fixed it. It's possible it was a BIOS update.

My MSI board has been fine. Booted first time into BIOS with no trouble. Been great ever since. Sucks to have to clear CMOS when your OC settings don't work. But once you have everything tested you don't really have that problem. Same with my son's B550 Tomahawk. It's been rock solid for almost 2 years now.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Why leave performance on the table? I believe the latest AGESA is happy with DDR5-6400. Go with that.
I just don't want to take my chances. If I end up with a 7800X3D that can't run at 6000 memory speeds stable because the memory controller on it wasn't up to it and it wasn't actually defective memory, I don't want to fiddle around with memory controller/memory voltages, timings, or even lowering the speed settings for the memory. I wouldn't be satisfied if I bought 6000 speed memory but at the end I could only get it stable at 5800 and even then I would still question if it's going to remain stable at 5800 speed. I might take my chances buying a DDR5-6000 kit if there is one that actually has a JEDEC 5200 profile with native 5200 speed chips, but I won't take my chances buying a DDR5-6000 kit that only goes up to 4800 for it's JEDEC profiles and only has 4800 native speed chips. I want to fall back on the fastest officially support memory speed of the CPU including the timings and memory voltage if it's the memory controller on my particular CPU that has issues with 6000 speed. This reminds me that when I used to own a Pentium 166MMX, some people said at that time that they were running at at an 83MHz bus speed on that CPU for a performance increase without overclock the CPU. I tried that but I ended up getting frequent illegal operation messages in Internet Explorer and starting up Flight Simulator 98, until I went back to the officially supported bus speed of 66MHz for that chip, despite owning a motherboard that supported the 83MHz bus speed (SuperMicro P5MMS with the Intel 430TX chipset) and SDRAM with 10ns latency chips. I also had a Maxtor 3.5GB hard drive that was flaky at 83MHz bus speed.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Those that couldn't do DDR5 6000 were using boards with a BIOS version from when X670E was first released. I'm sure most, if not all, can do DDR5 6000 just fine with an updated BIOS. The memory controller can handle it. 6200 is easy to do with a small MC voltage increase. Some can even do 6400. I have not been successful at 6400 with either a 7950X or my 7950X3D. Don't want to push voltages. 6200 was very easy for me to achieve with many hours of stability testing and many months of usage after that.

Jul 27, 2020

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
What does everyone use to stress test the CPU for temperatures? Right now, all I've been doing is downloading lost software so I've not really stressed the CPU and my temps are in the mid-40's on HWiNFO64.
LinpackXtreme v1.1.5 &/or Prime95 small FFTs. With Linpack at least 10 runs with 10GB model (anything higher is experimental according to the author) , check consistency of Gigaflops output for all runs, this will show if the FCLK is stable with the CPU overclock. With p95, at least a few hrs with no failed cores.

For the record, I have an MSI B650 Edge WiFi board & compared to my Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite board, the bios in the Gigabyte board is easier to work with & has Gear Down Mode option for extra performance with RAM OC unlike the MSI board that lacks that option. That option is a big deal because when you have control over it its like giving the RAM a whole speed upgrade (200MHz) without doing anything else in the RAM fine tuning dept! Also the way you can boot successful OC settings with the MSI board is just plain weird (with latest bios & thus agesa update). If you build upon an already established OC profile, the board chucks a hissy fit & refuses to boot - thus a manual clearing of the CMOS is in order which is very irritating to those who have the system in a case under their desk. If an OC config is attempted on the Gigabyte board however & your adding onto an existing OC profile, the board generally boots just fine, if it doesn't you will get the bios recovery screen coming up without having to go to the trouble of manually clearing the CMOS like the MSI board.

So imo, the Gigabyte board is more friendly to OC enthusiasts at least with their latest bios updates.

Today, I'm expecting delivery of an Asrock X670E Steel Legend board.. so another rebuild is on the cards - but this time with some Thermal Grizzly extras to improve CPU thermals, I'll be able to at last use my old AM4 cooler which utilises dual 140mm fans! :D

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
The SOC voltage issue from some time ago now is certainly fixed limiting it to 1.30v max only. Yes, If I am to continue using this board for OC I'll have to get one of those eternal switches to clear the CMOS. But one should not have to do that when the Bios recovery screen can enter into the failed boot process & prompt the user to reconfigure their system like GIgabyte have done on my B650 board from them. Don't know why MSI can't do this. I only had to manually clear the CMOS on that board once within a couple months of experimenting with RAM OC. Completely different situation with this MSI board.
Nitro options can be found like this - Settings > Advanced > AMD Overclocking > "Accept" > DDR & Infinity Fabric Frequency / Timings > DDR Options . DDR5 Nitro Mode - click on Auto & select enable to enter the sub menu & you'll see what I mean.
When I enable XMP with my set of ram, 3 settings were automatically preconfigured here in this Nitro sub menu, the rest where on auto. Gigabyte had the nitro options but did not have those pre-configurations that MSI have . Interesting to say the least!
Evidently Nitro was introduced after v15, because I don't have those options. I also don't use the Settings menu to set up my OC and RAM settings. I use the OC menu.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Just wanted to add for the record, that on my MSI B650 Edge WiFi board with v17 bios, booting a 32GB kit at 4800 or 5200 & with manual primary timing changes that I entered did not require memory training. The system booted up like a normal system should. Perhaps this is also to do with pushing memory bandwidth beyond AMD officially supported spec for Zen 4 IMC which is 5200MT/S?
Interesting point regarding when DDR5 memory training is needed!

Some follow up questions:

1. For those who have Zen4 systems where memory training is done on boot up (at least once), are you running out-of-spec DDR5 memory (i.e. above 5200 MT/s)? Is that what triggers the memory training? So if you would use DDR5 with 5200 MT/s setting in BIOS instead, then memory training will never be needed with Zen4 regardless of MB / BIOS / DDR5 type (assuming the DDR5 RAM supports at least 5200 MT/s)?

2. For out-of-spec memory setting in BIOS (i.e. above 5200 MT/s), is memory training always triggered with Zen4 (at least once), or does it depend on what type of MB / BIOS / DDR5 combo that is used? I.e. are there some such combos where memory training is not needed despite running DDR5 out-of-spec?

H433x0n

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2023
Interesting point regarding when DDR5 memory training is needed!

Some follow up questions:

1. For those who have Zen4 systems where memory training is done on boot up (at least once), are you running out-of-spec DDR5 memory (i.e. above 5200 MT/s)? Is that what triggers the memory training? So if you would use DDR5 with 5200 MT/s setting in BIOS instead, then memory training will never be needed with Zen4 regardless of MB / BIOS / DDR5 type (assuming the DDR5 RAM supports at least 5200 MT/s)?

2. For out-of-spec memory setting in BIOS (i.e. above 5200 MT/s), is memory training always triggered with Zen4 (at least once), or does it depend on what type of MB / BIOS / DDR5 combo that is used? I.e. are there some such combos where memory training is not needed despite running DDR5 out-of-spec?
1. DDR5-5200 will still trigger a memory training if memory context restore is off on a full power cycle reboot. If you just shut down windows this doesn’t happen. If you’re running lower memory speeds the training session won’t be as long compared to DDR5-6000.

2. For any BIOS / Motherboard it will trigger a memory retrain no matter the memory speeds and DDR5 kit.

I would just keep MCR on and live with the memory training, it’s not that big of a deal and stability is worth it IMO.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
1. DDR5-5200 will still trigger a memory training if memory context restore is off on a full power cycle reboot. If you just shut down windows this doesn’t happen. If you’re running lower memory speeds the training session won’t be as long compared to DDR5-6000.

2. For any BIOS / Motherboard it will trigger a memory retrain no matter the memory speeds and DDR5 kit.

I would just keep MCR on and live with the memory training, it’s not that big of a deal and stability is worth it IMO.
ditto. This whole memory training thing is all blown out of proportion. If its that big a deal, don't power it down. If its not, wait the extra few seconds.

My Genoa systems use 4800 memory, which is in spec. Not sure why they take 5-10 minutes to post, but again, I don't boot that often.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010

How come Hotrod2go did not have to perform any memory training on his Zen4 system then?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011

If standard JEDEC DDR5-5200/5600 modules are used and they default to 5200 speed in the BIOS with Ryzen 7000 series, does memory training still occur? I'm not referring to DDR5-5200 modules that require XMP or manual settings to run at 5200.

H433x0n

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2023
How come Hotrod2go did not have to perform any memory training on his Zen4 system then?
He either had MCR off or was running lower memory speeds where the training only took a few seconds.
If standard JEDEC DDR5-5200/5600 modules are used and they default to 5200 speed in the BIOS with Ryzen 7000 series, does memory training still occur? I'm not referring to DDR5-5200 modules that require XMP or manual settings to run at 5200.
Yes, it's a mandatory requirement (same goes for Intel, it's just a part of modern memory spec). The memory training is just faster and doesn't need as tight of tolerances when running lower memory speeds.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I don't think the X670/B650 boot up times are solved. They're tolerable now but were unacceptable at launch.
Even with memory context restore it's 15 seconds which is slower than some platforms from a decade ago.
Without restore it's a minute or more.

They have improved it a lot but they should keep focusing on it if any more improvements can be made. Feel free to disagree, other people have different priorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjodor2001