Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Well, after twiddling my thumbs on the sidelines, finally went to Micro Center and grabbed a 7800X3D and a Steel Legend Board. Once the case comes tomorrow, I get to do my first build in over 10 years!
You made a good choice with the motherboard & I decided to get one too! Are you going with B650 or X670 boards?

On another note, I've been trialling an MSI B650 Edge WiFi board & found their bioses have issues that are unfriendly to enthusiasts (yet the bios is full of enthusiasts tweaking tools). I lodged a complaint on their forums.... Yet here we are nearly a full year into the AM5 platform & major vendors like MSI are still struggling to get even the fundamentals right with their Zen 4 bioses. Yet I have a Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite board & they have got their act together for enthusiasts, so how come MSI can't do this??

Reactions: Tlh97 and MangoX

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
You made a good choice with the motherboard & I decided to get one too! Are you going with B650 or X670 boards?
I opted for the X670 board. Finally seeing all the motherboard options laid out in front of me I did my best to do some on-site comparisons and some instant internet research. Seemed like a good blend of features and price point so I pulled the trigger. Never had an ASRock board before so hoping it's not to bad.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007

On another note, I've been trialling an MSI B650 Edge WiFi board & found their bioses have issues that are unfriendly to enthusiasts (yet the bios is full of enthusiasts tweaking tools). I lodged a complaint on their forums.... Yet here we are nearly a full year into the AM5 platform & major vendors like MSI are still struggling to get even the fundamentals right with their Zen 4 bioses. Yet I have a Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite board & they have got their act together for enthusiasts, so how come MSI can't do this??
I'm not having any issues with my B650 Edge but evidently I'm not trying to do the same things that you are.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
I'm not having any issues with my B650 Edge but evidently I'm not trying to do the same things that you are.
Are you on the latest bios? I tried it & also the last non beta bios.... never in my life have I had to clear the CMOS manually with a jumper numerous times within the last week of any enthusiasts board I've owned in over 20 yrs & I was only trying to get the same RAM timings happening with my Samsung B die kit like I could do quite easily on the Gigabyte B650 board. MSI seem to not have an effective bios recovery option without having to clear the CMOS manually every time. Pathetic in this day & age with new stuff. Also, what's with this nitro training options? they seem preconfigured & don't set themselves back to auto when rebooting & telling it to save changes - never saw that on the Gigabyte board.
I'm not entirely dirty on MSI, as I have a Z590 Unify board here & have for a couple yrs already, it works well.

Last edited:

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
I opted for the X670 board. Finally seeing all the motherboard options laid out in front of me I did my best to do some on-site comparisons and some instant internet research. Seemed like a good blend of features and price point so I pulled the trigger. Never had an ASRock board before so hoping it's not to bad.
That's the one I ordered too. From what I can gather from a plethora of enthusiasts sites. Gigabyte & Asrock have done the best with agesa updates & implementing them in the bios.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I opted for the ASRock X670E PRO RS, and been very happy with it, upgraded from a ASRock X99 and 5820k from 2014, so I don't think you'll regret your decision. :)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
To be honest, I have not felt substantial changes, moving from i7-6700K to Ryzen 7 7800X3D (and X670E Steel Legend).
I also upgraded from a GTX 1070 to a RX 6800XT, and while the the video vCard upgrade was the most significant, upgrading the CPU gave me ~30% better fps, and there is definitely less stutter in CPUS heavy scenarios. But I don't feel like I need to upgrade my CPU more often than every 7-8 year.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Kaluan

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
I opted for the ASRock X670E PRO RS, and been very happy with it, upgraded from a ASRock X99 and 5820k from 2014, so I don't think you'll regret your decision. :)
I was looking at that board as well but for some reason was drawn to the Steel. I am moving up from a 4770 and GTX 970 so I am sure I'll see some pretty solid gains no matter what!

Really excited to finally build a new computer, especially with my son around and he has shown a bit of interest in it as well, even at age 7. Anything I should be aware of before I get started (BIOS update for sure I am guessing)? I doubt I am going to do much messing around in the BIOS like you all do as I just need it to run stable and straightforward from the get-go.

Reactions: biostud

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I was looking at that board as well but for some reason was drawn to the Steel. I am moving up from a 4770 and GTX 970 so I am sure I'll see some pretty solid gains no matter what!

Really excited to finally build a new computer, especially with my son around and he has shown a bit of interest in it as well, even at age 7. Anything I should be aware of before I get started (BIOS update for sure I am guessing)? I doubt I am going to do much messing around in the BIOS like you all do as I just need it to run stable and straightforward from the get-go.
I updated the BIOS using flashback before installing the CPU, then installed Windows, and once everything was up and running I applied Buildzoids "safe" memory timings, and that's about it. I use memory context restore and haven't had any stability problems, but others will advise you to disable it and do memory training on every boot.

The PRO RS had a better PCIE layout for me as I use a soundcard. :)

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
I use memory context restore and haven't had any stability problems, but others will advise you to disable it and do memory training on every boot.
Is there any evidence that memory training is needed on every boot up?

Here’s what Crucial has to say about it:

”A small number of DDR5 systems and motherboards require a period of "training" newly installed memory to work with the system and allow access to the UEFI, or otherwise to complete the system's power-on self-test (POST).
[…]
After this process is complete, future reboots will not require this wait [training], unless hardware is changed again in the future or other modifications are made in the system's BIOS or UEFI, in which case another delayed startup for this process may be seen.”

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Is there any evidence that memory training is needed on every boot up?

Here’s what Crucial has to say about it:

”A small number of DDR5 systems and motherboards require a period of "training" newly installed memory to work with the system and allow access to the UEFI, or otherwise to complete the system's power-on self-test (POST).
[…]
After this process is complete, future reboots will not require this wait [training], unless hardware is changed again in the future or other modifications are made in the system's BIOS or UEFI, in which case another delayed startup for this process may be seen.”
There is a lengthy discussion in this thread about it. Some believe it to be necessary, personally I don't.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Are you on the latest bios? I tried it & also the last non beta bios.... never in my life have I had to clear the CMOS manually with a jumper numerous times within the last week of any enthusiasts board I've owned in over 20 yrs & I was only trying to get the same RAM timings happening with my Samsung B die kit like I could do quite easily on the Gigabyte B650 board. MSI seem to not have an effective bios recovery option without having to clear the CMOS manually every time. Pathetic in this day & age with new stuff. Also, what's with this nitro training options? they seem preconfigured & don't set themselves back to auto when rebooting & telling it to save changes - never saw that on the Gigabyte board.
I'm not entirely dirty on MSI, as I have a Z590 Unify board here & have for a couple yrs already, it works well.
I'm still on v15. I wanted to wait to update the BIOS until after the SOC voltage issue had some time to be fixed and tested before I updated. Lately I haven't had much time to spend on the system so I've not updated yet. I do agree that while trying out new settings any time you have to clear CMOS sucks. And I have a vertical mount GPU!!! So I bought a switch to connect to the clear CMOS pins and ran it outside of my case for easy access. For my system I simply spent time getting the voltage and power settings where I wanted and just enabled XMP. Then Buildzoid's video came out so I tried his settings and tried to push things a little more. Finally settled on what I felt was a good balance of performance without pushing too far. I've not used the Nitro training you mention. In fact, I'm not even sure where that is in the BIOS. I don't recall running into that option or maybe they renamed in it later BIOS versions?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just put together 7950x number 6. I had most of the parts left over from a 3950x system (U15 HSF, power supply, NVME) CPU, $550, motherboard (x670) $150, memory $93 for 6000 CL32. Thse are now getting affordable ! And its a screamer !

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
There is a lengthy discussion in this thread about it. Some believe it to be necessary, personally I don't.
I followed that discussion but could not find any technical evidence for why memory training would be needed on every boot up. Just some vague "it gives me peace of mind" argument, which is not really any technical reason. Did I miss something?

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Got the new case yesterday. be quiet 901, not for people with bad backs. Thing is humongous but so far it is absolutely spectacular to build in.

Before I hit the power button for the first time, what should I expect regarding boot times? I hear the new memory training procedure can be lengthy, so just trying to set my own expectations.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Got the new case yesterday. be quiet 901, not for people with bad backs. Thing is humongous but so far it is absolutely spectacular to build in.

Before I hit the power button for the first time, what should I expect regarding boot times? I hear the new memory training procedure can be lengthy, so just trying to set my own expectations.
First boot could take a few minutes. Just let it sit and do it's thing. If it doesn't boot in ~5 minutes you may need a BIOS update. My daughter's 7600X system had this issue with a Gigabyte board in December. I didn't have the same issues with my 7700 and MSI board in late January though. Mine posted first time.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Flashing the BIOS these days is so much easier than it used to be as going to version 1.28 didn't even involve powering on the system. Everything is built, but just realized I don't have a USB drive big enough to get Windows 10 onto. Gonna have to go grab that for the install and then it's on to Buildzoids safe memory timings.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Flashing the BIOS these days is so much easier than it used to be as going to version 1.28 didn't even involve powering on the system. Everything is built, but just realized I don't have a USB drive big enough to get Windows 10 onto. Gonna have to go grab that for the install and then it's on to Buildzoids safe memory timings.
You can get 3 16 gig usb drives for like $10.

Just one example, 16 gig $3.29

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003