Yale student screaming at professor for not providing safe space

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
What's more important, free speech/expression or the right not to be offended or have one's feelings hurt?

I'm not sure if you're serious? I think you're being sarcastic. There is not right not to be offended or have hurt feelings. These kids willing to give up the 1st in the video are just ignorant and appear to lack common sense.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The older generation always bashes the younger generation. So this girl is squeamish and maybe a little bit pathetic, but she will grow out of it. People are stupid until their mid-late 20s. its not a generational thing, every generation before went through their growing pains as well.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm not sure if you're serious? I think you're being sarcastic. There is not right not to be offended or have hurt feelings. These kids willing to give up the 1st in the video are just ignorant and appear to lack common sense.

I was addressing a portion of Gonad the Barbarian's comment that I quoted. Feel free to answer the question as well if you'd like.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
151110171259-mizzou-protesters-clash-media-journalism-school-professor-lead-live-00011630-large-169.jpg

Harvard Professor: Diversity just a code word for 'more of us'.
Every white feminist's dream. Snapping your fingers to summon black muscle to remove a student reporter that might not share your perspective...

Why bother with free speech when you can have diversity?

Uno

She has now been charged with assault. And rightfully so. So much fail in the entire protests.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/2...t-in-fracas-with-journalist.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Oct 16, 1999
What's more important, free speech/expression or the right not to be offended or have one's feelings hurt?

Basic consideration of others is more important than either and these episodes (and far worse) more often than not boil down to a lack of it on one side, the other, or both.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Basic consideration of others is more important than either and these episodes (and far worse) more often than not boil down to a lack of it on one side, the other, or both.

The problem is that "basic consideration" is not something clearly defined, it's subjective. Especially when dealing with idiots that can't stand anyone else uttering an opinion that differs from theirs.

The fact that this moron continues to "teach" at the uni is a good indication of how lousy things are -- idiots that don't believe in the concept of freedom of speech and are in favor of violence to prevent free speech are allowed to continue to teach students.

It's a misdemeanor and a slap on the wrist, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Meh, I'll still take a generation that's overly impassioned for the consideration of others...
Newsflash: screaming at people, calling for people to be fired or trying to ruin careers, shouting down opposing viewpoints, protesting in ways that block other people from going about their own business (to name a few examples) is not 'consideration for others'. It's extreme narcissism, as well as babified.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
How the hell has this woman not been fired yet? Why would anyone spend their hard earned money to have that kind of trash teaching their kids?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Apparently she is confusing "university" with "preschool."

But in any event, like spandex, dreadlocks are best viewed, imnsho, as a privilege, not a right. I'm not suggesting it should actually be outlawed (after all, my political views are generally so far left that full exposure would make half the posters' in this subforum's ears bleed and I of course would not want to trample on the poor dear's civil liberties)... but seriously - people without the hair for it really, truly should not wear theirs in dreadlocks. Not in public anyway. Not unless they actually intend, at first glance, to convince everyone they come in contact with that they're dumbass, ignorant retards, anyway... (no offense to the developmentally disabled intended, of course... the intellectually-developmentally disabled, that is...)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
The problem is that "basic consideration" is not something clearly defined, it's subjective.
You're right, and it makes it all the more important to consider the potential impact one's words and actions have on others. Not doing so is shirking the responsibility that comes with freedom of speech.

Especially when dealing with idiots that can't stand anyone else uttering an opinion that differs from theirs.
"My willfully insensitive views are merely an honest difference of opinion! Quit trying to impose your political correctness on me! You're the real bigot for not tolerating my opinion! Freedom!"
I'm so, so tired of this shit. So tired of the complete lack of empathy so many show anyone they consider "those others." The justification for it that it's that person's fault for being different in the first place. The fact is you, me, everybody is one of "those others" to somebody.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
You're right, and it makes it all the more important to consider the potential impact one's words and actions have on others. Not doing so is shirking the responsibility that comes with freedom of speech.

"My willfully insensitive views are merely an honest difference of opinion! Quit trying to impose your political correctness on me! You're the real bigot for not tolerating my opinion! Freedom!"
I'm so, so tired of this shit. So tired of the complete lack of empathy so many show anyone they consider "those others." The justification for it that it's that person's fault for being different in the first place. The fact is you, me, everybody is one of "those others" to somebody.
Ohh god no! Not insensitive opinions! How will you ever get through life knowing I may disagree with you! Quick call the thought police and publicly flog the blasphemer! Better yet, stone the fucker for going against the Word of Social Justice!

Are you that insecure in your own mind that you cannot rationally deal with dissent of others? Must you only have group think in order to feel safe in your life?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Sad irony is that those that you're trying to have empathy for will be the first to rip you a new one if you (even unintentionally) say something that they don't like. Sure, I think we can all try to season our words and show some mercy, but that's still no guarantee that people aren't going to like what you say and react in a highly negative fashion. The actions of these kids / professors clearly indicate that they don't practice what they preach.

As was stated earlier, kids don't wise up until their mid/late 20s. That all well and good, but these kids are ruining (or attempting to ruin) other people's lives just because someone got them upset and made them wet their bunched up panties.

And quite frankly, if a kid in their late teens / early 20s is acting stupid, it's up the the adults to be adults and tell them they're being stupid.

Our constitution was written by smart people that knew the dangers of a tyrannical government. I'll defer to them.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

So tired of the complete lack of empathy so many show anyone they consider "those others."

FYI, you're not entitled to anybody's empathy. You're tired of not getting something you're not entitled to. That's why you're catching shit.

An actual Barbarian would laugh at you.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
You're right, and it makes it all the more important to consider the potential impact one's words and actions have on others.

Doesn't sound like "free" speech to me. Sounds like speech that is constrained by the possibility that someone might not like what you have to say.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
You mean <gasp> politeness?

I don't think you'll find many people who disagree that politeness and manners are important. I also don't think you'll find many who think that politeness and manners trump the freedom of speech. Does this mean you need to be rude? Of course not. But the fact that you can be if you want is a very important thing.