Yale student screaming at professor for not providing safe space

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
This appears to be a fairly good example of black privilege...i.e. not getting fired after saying that white college males are a problem population.

I think white male college students at Boston Univ should begin protests ASAP.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
#BlackLivesMatter Protesters Disrupt Students in Library: ‘F*ck You, You Filthy White F*cks!’

What exactly does it take to get kicked out of a college these days?

Protesters at Dartmouth University disrupted students studying in the library, reportedly directing profanity towards white students and physically pushing others.

In a critical editorial, the conservative Dartmouth Review listed some of the epithets hurled by the protesters: “Fuck you, you filthy white fucks!” “Fuck you and your comfort!” “Fuck you, you racist shits!”

In addition, the Review reports that some of protesters became physically violent: “Men and women alike were pushed and shoved by the group. ‘If we can’t have it, shut it down!’ they cried. Another woman was pinned to a wall by protesters who unleashed their insults, shouting ‘filthy white bitch!’ in her face.”

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Protesters at Dartmouth University disrupted students studying in the library, reportedly directing profanity towards white students and physically pushing others.

In a critical editorial, the conservative Dartmouth Review listed some of the epithets hurled by the protesters: “Fuck you, you filthy white fucks!” “Fuck you and your comfort!” “Fuck you, you racist shits!”

In addition, the Review reports that some of protesters became physically violent: “Men and women alike were pushed and shoved by the group. ‘If we can’t have it, shut it down!’ they cried. Another woman was pinned to a wall by protesters who unleashed their insults, shouting ‘filthy white bitch!’ in her face.”

Walking around in a library protesting isnt exactly an offense that should get someone expelled although pushing someone up against a wall to shout racist crap at them should at least be grounds for some disciplinary action. That said -- and I'm not really doubting it happened, I just didnt watch the video very carefully -- I didn't see that on a cursory glance through the video, do you have a min:sec spot where it actually happened?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Walking around in a library protesting isnt exactly an offense that should get someone expelled although pushing someone up against a wall to shout racist crap at them should at least be grounds for some disciplinary action. That said -- and I'm not really doubting it happened, I just didnt watch the video very carefully -- I didn't see that on a cursory glance through the video, do you have a min:sec spot where it actually happened?

None of the alleged conduct is on the video, which doesn't mean it didn't happen. It could have happened before or after, or perhaps during but we can't hear it because the chanting was so loud. Given the arms length list of awful things described in the Dartmouth Review article, you'd think at least one of them could be heard on the video.

On the other hand, there's this:

One of the protesters posted online, saying they were ashamed of what the protest turned into. “After making a girl cry, a protester screamed ‘Fuck your white tears,'” he reports. “I was startled by the aggression from a small minority of students towards students in the library, many of whom were supporters of the movement.”

Since that apparently came from one of the protesters, I'm inclined to believe it, and if there was one such comment, there might have been more.

I don't really know what to make of it. My guess is at least some of these comments were made but we don't know how many or how many of the protesters were guilty of it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
None of the alleged conduct is on the video, which doesn't mean it didn't happen. It could have happened before or after, or perhaps during but we can't hear it because the chanting was so loud. Given the arms length list of awful things described in the Dartmouth Review article, you'd think at least one of them could be heard on the video.

On the other hand, there's this:

Since that apparently came from one of the protesters, I'm inclined to believe it, and if there was one such comment, there might have been more.

I don't really know what to make of it. My guess is at least some of these comments were made but we don't know how many or how many of the protesters were guilty of it.
Maybe, but I can't help remembering the accusations of racial slurs and even spitting made by black activists which after video surfaced of the whole period clearly never happened. I'm not saying these things never happened, just pointing out that everyone there probably has a smart phone with video capabilities. Everyone tends to exaggerate traumatic discrimination, so in the absence of video or audio I'll remain agnostic.

Nov 8, 2012

It's the black privilege.

"FUCK YO WHITE TEARS!"
-Life goes on. No consequences

"FUCK YO BLACK TEARS!"
-Expelled/Kicked out of school
-Fired from job from publicity outcry
-Possible life endangerment from threats

Hows that white privilege going eh? Oh boy I'm sure basking in my AMAZING PRIVILEGES. Would you like some? I would be glad to share.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

They won't get kicked out, diversity is the biggest consideration for colleges nowadays above academics and everything else. And thank goodness also, in the pre-diversity days universities wouldn't have any students to fill the niche of running around libraries saying "f*ck yo white tears." Think of how lacking that experience would have been for all the other students.

Nov 30, 2006
If White students would have done this, they would have been immediately identified and expelled....and rightfully so imo.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008

The bell curve of BLM popularity peaked several months ago. I'm surprised, at the moment, if anyone in any authority position even gives them the time of day.

What's left right now, are a bunch of communistic/far left wing liberal individuals who will band together and organize small events using the moniker BLM. Doesn't it make sense that what we are seeing right now, is pretty much organized movements through higher education? Higher education fosters the exploration of ideas/thoughts and I'm sure people have nothing but time on their hands to meet up, drink coffee, and talk on ends about their beliefs and what they should do.

So what you end up getting, are some half-baked plans like with what you linked above. At some point during the planning, they probably thought "Oh my, how could this NOT be a bad idea! We could band together, voice in unison our cause, and expose the most simple/basic priveledged few who hide in their ivory towers! They will not hide anymore! We will expose the truth!"

So when they act out in the plan, it just looks like an angry motley crew who comes in with only a voice...no brain....no eyes. They are yelling and that's pretty much it. I don't even think one of them could possibly sit down and say, Hey, here is why I am breaking your studying and telling you about something important. I didn't think you would listen, so here I am now to tell you why this is so urgent.

Nope.

Just a bunch of disorganized and misguided children who want to throw a tantrum party.

EDIT: Just to clarify. BLM is not a central run thing, it is just a rallying cry. I just feel it is so sad and terrible that people continuously do things in the name of BLM and just destroy it's cause. Perhaps if the movement was centralized, we would have been ahead by today versus being behind.

Last edited:

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Who knew that being helicopter parents, trophies for everyone, allowance big enough to not have to get a job in your teenage years or ever having to help out dad or mom in the kitchen or on the house would ever lead to a self-hating generation with no skillset outside of looking up answers on Google or paying contractors to do any and everything.

It's not these kids fault though, we were a horrible generation of parents that never let these kids fail. Why didn't we look back and say "getting a job when I was 14 taught me values that I still use today" Instead we said "I don't want my kids to have to go through the things I did" wow WTF really? This is why our stupid cycles through history always repeat themselves.

Every generation should be empowered to problem solve, not just have solutions given to them. When they don't get their way they blow the dumbest things out of proportion like the idiots in the videos.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
It's the black privilege.

"FUCK YO WHITE TEARS!"
-Life goes on. No consequences

"FUCK YO BLACK TEARS!"
-Expelled/Kicked out of school
-Fired from job from publicity outcry
-Possible life endangerment from threats

Hows that white privilege going eh? Oh boy I'm sure basking in my AMAZING PRIVILEGES. Would you like some? I would be glad to share.
I can kind of see some rationale for the discrimination though. Even today blacks can be virulently racist and still have only limited effect on white people's lives compared to the reverse. While it's amusing to see these particular chickens come home to roost in this particular barn, there was some justification for the original discrimination.

To paraphrase Chris Rock: I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I understand.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I can kind of see some rationale for the discrimination though. Even today blacks can be virulently racist and still have only limited effect on white people's lives compared to the reverse. While it's amusing to see these particular chickens come home to roost in this particular barn, there was some justification for the original discrimination.

To paraphrase Chris Rock: I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I understand.

Just to further conversation,

Could you describe a scenario where the same level of racism would have a limited effect on a white person's live to a major/larger effect on a black person's life?

I feel that the effect of racism would in reality be quite similar to the person, regardless of what race they identify with.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The types of racism that will affect a minority more are institutional in nature. A swastika drawn with poop, while it may be offensive, doesn't count as institutional.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Just to further conversation,

Could you describe a scenario where the same level of racism would have a limited effect on a white person's live to a major/larger effect on a black person's life?

I feel that the effect of racism would in reality be quite similar to the person, regardless of what race they identify with.
Let us posit that racism is at exactly the same (relatively high or at least noticeable) level between black and white people.

When you go for a job interview, is the interviewer more likely to be black or white?

When you get pulled over, is the cop more likely to be black or white?

When you go to rent an apartment or house, is the landlord more likely to be black or white?

Morally, racism is racism and racist acts are equally deplorable. Practically, white people are still more numerous and occupy more positions of power than our percentage of the population. It is highly unlikely that, say, everyone hiring welders in a particular town is black. It is not nearly as unlikely that everyone hiring welders in a particular town is white. Therefore racism among black people is not as likely to present a major stumbling block in the life of a white person as racism among white people is likely to present a major stumbling block in the life of a black person. Similarly, if we abandon the artificial concept of homogeneity by race and instead posit that significant racism occurs at the same percentage of individuals, then a black person is more likely to encounter it in a significant way than a white person, for the same reason.

As a white man, it is vastly unlikely that all local companies in my field will be owned by people who won't consider me because of my skin color. For a black man in small southern towns, this would be a much more significant risk. This white privilege thing has been vastly overblown, but it has a core of truth in its origin. We shouldn't forget that core of truth just because these people are idiots.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The types of racism that will affect a minority more are institutional in nature. A swastika drawn with poop, while it may be offensive, doesn't count as institutional.
That is true. It's pretty much true of everything these people demand changed. If people saying "all lives matter" significantly affects your life in a negative way, then you are a defective person, period.

Nov 8, 2012
The bell curve of BLM popularity peaked several months ago. I'm surprised, at the moment, if anyone in any authority position even gives them the time of day.

What's left right now, are a bunch of communistic/far left wing liberal individuals who will band together and organize small events using the moniker BLM. Doesn't it make sense that what we are seeing right now, is pretty much organized movements through higher education? Higher education fosters the exploration of ideas/thoughts and I'm sure people have nothing but time on their hands to meet up, drink coffee, and talk on ends about their beliefs and what they should do.

So what you end up getting, are some half-baked plans like with what you linked above. At some point during the planning, they probably thought "Oh my, how could this NOT be a bad idea! We could band together, voice in unison our cause, and expose the most simple/basic priveledged few who hide in their ivory towers! They will not hide anymore! We will expose the truth!"

So when they act out in the plan, it just looks like an angry motley crew who comes in with only a voice...no brain....no eyes. They are yelling and that's pretty much it. I don't even think one of them could possibly sit down and say, Hey, here is why I am breaking your studying and telling you about something important. I didn't think you would listen, so here I am now to tell you why this is so urgent.

Nope.

Just a bunch of disorganized and misguided children who want to throw a tantrum party.

EDIT: Just to clarify. BLM is not a central run thing, it is just a rallying cry. I just feel it is so sad and terrible that people continuously do things in the name of BLM and just destroy it's cause. Perhaps if the movement was centralized, we would have been ahead by today versus being behind.

Simple question for you...

Did you honestly expect otherwise? Be it at the beginning of the movement, or right now, Did you HONESTLY think that ANYTHING productive would come out of segregation protesting?

Nov 8, 2012
Let us posit that racism is at exactly the same (relatively high or at least noticeable) level between black and white people.

When you go for a job interview, is the interviewer more likely to be black or white?

When you get pulled over, is the cop more likely to be black or white?

When you go to rent an apartment or house, is the landlord more likely to be black or white?

Morally, racism is racism and racist acts are equally deplorable. Practically, white people are still more numerous and occupy more positions of power than our percentage of the population. It is highly unlikely that, say, everyone hiring welders in a particular town is black. It is not nearly as unlikely that everyone hiring welders in a particular town is white. Therefore racism among black people is not as likely to present a major stumbling block in the life of a white person as racism among white people is likely to present a major stumbling block in the life of a black person. Similarly, if we abandon the artificial concept of homogeneity by race and instead posit that significant racism occurs at the same percentage of individuals, then a black person is more likely to encounter it in a significant way than a white person, for the same reason.

As a white man, it is vastly unlikely that all local companies in my field will be owned by people who won't consider me because of my skin color. For a black man in small southern towns, this would be a much more significant risk. This white privilege thing has been vastly overblown, but it has a core of truth in its origin. We shouldn't forget that core of truth just because these people are idiots.

Black people, in general, tend to live together - just as all races do. So - If I lived in the bible belt states, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see tons of black cops, tons of black people in local government offices, tons of black people as managers, etc...

Why you say "For a black man in a small southern town..." is beyond me. Have you tried looking for where black people live? Regardless of the fact that they make up ~17% or so of the total population, they make up the majority of the south. It's rather funny how people in the north are quick to call the south racists when they don't even live with black people. They have the token black guy equivalent, and they claim to be diverse and not racist :D

map_nhblack.gif

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yes racism goes both ways. It is "ok" for black people to do certain things and not white people. It is "ok" for white people to do certain things and not black people. It is hypocritical, but common too. The simple fact is, if it was white people screaming and cornering black people calling them a racist piece of shit for not wearing white to support them, it would go down differently. While not fair, hypocritical, it's the way it is.

Black people, in general, tend to live together - just as all races do.

Having been born and growing up in Alaska I can attest to this. It was many years before I saw a black person in real life. Close to 10 years old. To be fair, I lived in an extremely remote town. Lots of Eskimo's though. After moving to the South, I agree with your map 100%.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Black people, in general, tend to live together - just as all races do. So - If I lived in the bible belt states, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see tons of black cops, tons of black people in local government offices, tons of black people as managers, etc...

Why you say "For a black man in a small southern town..." is beyond me. Have you tried looking for where black people live? Regardless of the fact that they make up ~17% or so of the total population, they make up the majority of the south. It's rather funny how people in the north are quick to call the south racists when they don't even live with black people. They have the token black guy equivalent, and they claim to be diverse and not racist :D

map_nhblack.gif
Agreed about the North. And yes, we have tons of black cops, officials, managers and business owners, but virtually nowhere do they form a majority of either. Twice in my lifetime I have heard my company's owner say "You didn't hire that n****r did you?" I'm not saying that level of racism - where you are willing to pass up the best candidate to get your preferred wrapper even though the better candidate will make you more money - doesn't exist among blacks or that it is common in blacks, I'm just saying it is highly unlikely to infect all your potential bosses. In a small area or in specialized trades, it's much more likely that statistical anomaly occurs among whites. If your expertise is in something specialized such as gold smithing or pet stores or lead burning, you might find statistics has dumped on you. If there are seven local companies working welders but the only two hiring hate your skin color, might as well be all of them.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
My question, "What exactly does it take to get kicked out of a college these days?" was posed because the article I linked to talked of several students committing assault. Nothing more was heard about that so perhaps it was just bullshit. I don't think idiots stomping around the library acting like brats shouting racial epithets is something worthy of expulsion.

But, were it reversed with white idiots, now that would be, to quote our VP, a "big fucking deal".

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...-suffer-amid-free-speech-debate/?intcmp=hpbt4

Yale’s Alumni Donations May Suffer Amid Free Speech Debate

Many alumni are saying that they will not donate if free speech is suppressed. All because a professor sent an email saying that people should wear whatever Halloween costume they want. Students are making demands now on what they want, because they feel "unsafe".

According to the Yale Daily News, the student newspaper, students have skipped classes and midterm exams, or requested extensions citing emotional distress as rendering them unable to fulfill academic obligations.

Emotional distress? Wow. I could give them a few examples of emotional distress, I doubt they have had any of it. These are our leaders of tomorrow? Ugh.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...-suffer-amid-free-speech-debate/?intcmp=hpbt4

Many alumni are saying that they will not donate if free speech is suppressed. All because a professor sent an email saying that people should wear whatever Halloween costume they want. Students are making demands now on what they want, because they feel "unsafe".

Emotional distress? Wow. I could give them a few examples of emotional distress, I doubt they have had any of it. These are our leaders of tomorrow? Ugh.

If I'm going to hire someone from Yale, I expect them to be able to work through emotional distress.

If these kids can't handle it, send them packing. There's soooo many other people that would die to be in Yale and not take it for granted.