YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 572 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
1)My BIL was wondering what gun you recommend in the 9mm category with a budget of $500-700. Any opinions?

The Glock 19 is one of my favorite handguns currently and I have four Glocks. I don’t want to seem like a Glock fanboy, because I have many other semi-auto handguns that are not Glock but the Glocks just seem to point better for me and I am more accurate with them. That said, my Springfield Armory 1911 has about the best trigger of any handgun. They are expensive though.

2)
Another 9mm question from the BIL...he was wondering why there are so many different types of 9mm ammo (he read them all off to me; there are indeed a lot). Are they for specific guns? Can some take more than one type?

Glock will feed anything, it doesn’t matter what you put through it.

3)
While we were shooting, i noticed the Ruger .22 seemed to kinda...jam up a lot or something. The Glock didn't jam once. Is there any way to prevent this (why does this happen?)? Kind of annoying.

I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Ruger Mark IV and they both jam, more so when they get dirty. I think it is the nature of the rimfire 22, they just have a tendency to jam.

4)
Could you guys please recommend a good starter gun for ME? :awe: Not really sure what caliber/type/whatever is good for a beginner.

Go to a gun store and talk to a few people there, handle a few guns in your price range and see how they feel. Wouldn’t hurt to rent a few of the models you are considering and shoot them either. 9mm is a decent defensive round with low recoil allowing for faster follow up shots, perfectly suitable for home defense. I like my Glocks but they do not have an external safety and you need to be very aware that when you place your finger inside the trigger guard it is ready to fire.

Remember these two rules and live by them:

1) Never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot, even if it is unloaded, and never point a gun at another person.

2) Always treat every gun as if it were loaded. Whenever someone hands you a gun, check it to make sure it is unloaded even if you just watched them demonstrate that it is unloaded. It shows that you have developed safe gun handling habits and it doesn’t hurt to check twice, plus it gives you a feel for how to operate that particular gun.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Purchased my first shotgun today. It's a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security with FDE stock and forearm. Pump-action, 7+1 capacity, 20" barrel. Got some #00 buckshot for it. I'm off on Monday and thinking about taking it to the range.

bbwwb1Wh.jpg

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
A friend was needing to come up with cash in a hurry so I bought a BNIB Glock 40 MOS (10mm) from him (now I have two of them), and a 10/22 with a franklin armory binary trigger installed which looks like its gonna be fun.

Reactions: bigboxes

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Dang Jules that M1 is total chad material. Definitely would like to have one someday.

I wasn't planning on it at all but I picked up an M1 Carbine recently. They came up on Classic Firearms and I have wanted one, and since their prices have gone nuts I decided to get one before the prices are doublenuts.

It's an Inland-GM production, mismatched serial numbers. Haven't looked up the year yet from the serial number, and while it's certainly old, it's not in horrible shape IMO. I'm gonna refinish the stock cause it's not really a collectible and it could use it. The bore is very nice looking so that's good.

But I'm wondering if I can do anything about this on the metal? I don't think it's rust, is it? Maybe just like dirt; it is quite a dirty mofo. I ordered a bolt disassembly tool and have it all stripped apart so I can clean it well, using the ultrasonic except for the barrel/receiver.

20220409_032832.jpg

I dunno, I'm not a gunsmith person, but was just wondering if I could do anything to make it better.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
By the way, I finally joined the AR club yesterday. I picked up this Nemo Arms AR-10 with scope and bipod. I am heading to the range with it on Wednesday to dial it in. It is bore sighted. It is chambered in .308 Winchester.

I don’t know why I waited so long. These guns are sweet! Now I have the AR bug.

2B38FC81-EB8C-44CC-8138-7F430EE4F320.jpeg

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Picked up my Springfield Armory M1A not too long ago. I put a scout scope on it almost immediately but I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. I am going to the desert next weekend to sight it in and put some rounds through it.

View attachment 58538
Really nice. Doesn't quite hit Jeff Coopers specs, but still, a spectacular rifle. Would love to have one, maybe with the synthetic stock. Have fun.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
1)My BIL was wondering what gun you recommend in the 9mm category with a budget of $500-700. Any opinions?

The Glock 19 is one of my favorite handguns currently and I have four Glocks. I don’t want to seem like a Glock fanboy, because I have many other semi-auto handguns that are not Glock but the Glocks just seem to point better for me and I am more accurate with them. That said, my Springfield Armory 1911 has about the best trigger of any handgun. They are expensive though.

2)
Another 9mm question from the BIL...he was wondering why there are so many different types of 9mm ammo (he read them all off to me; there are indeed a lot). Are they for specific guns? Can some take more than one type?

Glock will feed anything, it doesn’t matter what you put through it.

3)
While we were shooting, i noticed the Ruger .22 seemed to kinda...jam up a lot or something. The Glock didn't jam once. Is there any way to prevent this (why does this happen?)? Kind of annoying.

I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Ruger Mark IV and they both jam, more so when they get dirty. I think it is the nature of the rimfire 22, they just have a tendency to jam.

4)
Could you guys please recommend a good starter gun for ME? :awe: Not really sure what caliber/type/whatever is good for a beginner.

Go to a gun store and talk to a few people there, handle a few guns in your price range and see how they feel. Wouldn’t hurt to rent a few of the models you are considering and shoot them either. 9mm is a decent defensive round with low recoil allowing for faster follow up shots, perfectly suitable for home defense. I like my Glocks but they do not have an external safety and you need to be very aware that when you place your finger inside the trigger guard it is ready to fire.

Remember these two rules and live by them:

1) Never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot, even if it is unloaded, and never point a gun at another person.

2) Always treat every gun as if it were loaded. Whenever someone hands you a gun, check it to make sure it is unloaded even if you just watched them demonstrate that it is unloaded. It shows that you have developed safe gun handling habits and it doesn’t hurt to check twice, plus it gives you a feel for how to operate that particular gun.

I have both a 10/22 and a MK4.

I haven't had many issues with the 10/22, other than FTE. I use shoot mostly cci maximags or aguila 40g high velocity.

The mark 4 was problematic out of the box, but a bit of work into it and it's extremely reliable and a fantastic little shooter.

Getting a volquartsen extractor and doing a bit of modding to the magazine solved all my jamming issues. I did recently put the VQ firing pin in as well, shot about 500 rounds today, and not a single jam, FTE, or FTF.
This was firing mostly the aguila.

Lastly, the gun likes to be clean. The 22 is dirty, so I'll clean it the bore, chamber and bolt.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite (first gen) and I don't think it's ever malfunctioned. Worked fine with my Liberty Cosmic can on it too, although the can getting stuck on it so fricking ridiculously hard getting it off caused the end of the fricking barrel to screw off too, but that's another story. All from a couple mags of ammo through it, hand tightened.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite (first gen) and I don't think it's ever malfunctioned. Worked fine with my Liberty Cosmic can on it too, although the can getting stuck on it so fricking ridiculously hard getting it off caused the end of the fricking barrel to screw off too, but that's another story. All from a couple mags of ammo through it, hand tightened.

Good to hear. It's a common enough problem that there is quite a bit of discussion about it.
Not sure how it applies to earlier marks.

They are simple tweaks that take less than an hour if you have a Dremel and have made a world of difference.

Fwiw, I didn't do all the sanding in the video. I rounded the corners on the top lips of the magazine as shown, enough so that the follower no longer sticks on them. I then threw the mags in the vibratory bowl (loaded with crushed walnut shells) for a few hours and they came out super smooth. Putting in the pins for the magazine springs isn't a bad idea either, but not necessary.

Little bit of sanding of the edges of plastic follower to remove flashing. I also did the trick with the follower buttons in the Dremel to spin them up and hit then with some sand paper underneath to smooth out the areas where they ride in the magazine rail.

Lastly, I put a little graphite on the follower to finish it off.

That was 2500 rounds ago and all jamming issues solved.

The new extractor fixed the occasional FTE.

Last issue was I was getting a decent number of FTF after several thousand rounds through the pistol, so I got the VQ firing pin, and was 500 for 500 yesterday.

Also got the VQ trigger kit too, and man, what a nice upgrade. Very light and crisp breaking trigger with minimal movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: clamum

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This thread needs a bump.

Here's some of the toys I've been enjoying especially lately.

Two SA Rugers, one DA/SA S&W 686 .357.

The smaller is an Single Six, .22 with a WMR cylinder. The other is a Blackhawk .357, with a 9mm cylinder.

Between the two Rugers, I can shoot .22 shorts to LR, .22 WMR, .38 spl, .357 and 9mm.

Easy to find some ammo that fits and is affordable. Easy to teach rookie shooters too if they come with me.
Simple platform, forced cocking between each shot to slow them down, and can start off with little baby bullet shorts and can move up power levels on same basic gun.

All three have great, light weight triggers, and the Rugers are Old Models from the 60s and have that great 4 click colt action.

16512554289190.jpg

Got to have a lever gun to go with. Here's a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Rifle is 80 years old.

Some .30 cal cowboy fun:

16512570966582.jpg

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
latest purchase... a beat up Type 56 SKS. Made in China in the 1960's it has been sitting in an Albanian warehouse for 20 years. The stock is beat up with some trench art but the rifling is in mint condition. Decided to buy one since 5.56 is still way more expensive than 7.62X39.

sks - Copy.jpg

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Love the single action revolvers! I have a few Colt Single Action Army revolvers myself including this engraved 7 1/2” Cavalry model that came out of the Colt Custom Shop. It is master engraved and a black powder frame model.

99F7AF6B-3A14-4523-B49B-AE89B8156068.jpeg

I also have a Winchester 94 lever action in 44 magnum. Fun guns to shoot!

4A16EE4D-03F4-4C95-ACE1-F40C5222EE57.jpeg

Another pair of Colts. These are both third gen guns but still made like the original, not safe to carry with six rounds loaded. The nickel plated gun is over 40 years old. All of mine are chambered in .45 Colt.

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Had a little upgrade for my Ruger PC Charger show up yesterday and I got it all installed last night. Looking forward to seeing just how much 9mm I can burn through now.

npM6Shg.jpg

Reactions: nOOky and Spoooon

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Picked this up yesterday. Just ordered the polymer Manticore Arms forend and Geissele trigger pack for it.

i-Jj5nn3h-X3.jpg

Get a locking charging handle. While you can prob find it cheaper, this is what I speak of. Link I've a SAR that I've kitted out.. and freely admit I went really overboard on it as it started amusing me to do so, but that charging handle is one of the better investments I've made on it.

20190108_152835.jpg

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Get a locking charging handle. While you can prob find it cheaper, this is what I speak of. Link I've a SAR that I've kitted out.. and freely admit I went really overboard on it as it started amusing me to do so, but that charging handle is one of the better investments I've made on it.
Yep. One bad thing about the Tavor is seemingly everything is out of stock. I'm on the notification list for that and a few other items.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I had been able to resist for many years but moving back to California likely for good and it isn't on the roster so...

941.jpeg

Reactions: nOOky

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Do you like it? Pros? Cons?

I've liked IWI bullpups and have considered their pistols.

I like the feel of the gip and the weight which feels comparable to my all steel full size Beretta. Ergonomically pretty good for me to use all the controls. Single action trigger pull is a little meh but I can fix that later.

Hoping to get to the range next week to see how it shoots.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got an X95. It seemed nice at first but I took it to a minuteman course and realized it would not suit my needs.