YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 570 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
It is sad that one cannot find inventory on a lot products these days. Its one thing that the resellers (FFLs) don't have inventory, but not even the manufacturers have any. Of course I'm talking about product I'm interested in. Me sad.

Nov 20, 2009
Picked up a Canik TP9, but not the Elite Combat I was really wanting. To less sour the experience, I also got a Sig SR1911. The Sig's always make me smile.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
On my lunch break I saw at least 30 guys looking for steel shot or 12 gauge deer slugs. Plenty of 9mm and 5.56 though. I have been looking for a Sig 220 in 10mm, it's a rare unicorn around here. I just want one for backpacking where the bears are, and general plinking etc. Ammo for it is insane though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Thinking of picking up a Glock model 19 for home defense. I like 9mm as it is powerful enough but recoil is pretty mild and ammo is slightly less expensive and easier to find so I can shoot it more often. This would be my fourth Glock, I already own a G17 which is the full-size 9mm along with a G21 (which I love) and a G30 (my least favorite).

I am also interested in picking up the Ruger PC Carbine. A friend of mine has one and he let me try it out on a recent desert shooting trip and I really liked it. I talked to my local gun shop and they’re going to let me know as soon as they get one in stock.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Thinking of picking up a Glock model 19 for home defense. I like 9mm as it is powerful enough but recoil is pretty mild and ammo is slightly less expensive and easier to find so I can shoot it more often. This would be my fourth Glock, I already own a G17 which is the full-size 9mm along with a G21 (which I love) and a G30 (my least favorite).

I am also interested in picking up the Ruger PC Carbine. A friend of mine has one and he let me try it out on a recent desert shooting trip and I really liked it. I talked to my local gun shop and they’re going to let me know as soon as they get one in stock.

Durning and after the most recent ammo shortage my mantra has been "do not buy guns in hard to find calibers" which has resulted in a lot of 9mm buys. I've never subscribed to the people who argue it doesn't have "stopping power" or whatever since +p hollow points are going to ruin anybody's day unless they are wearing body armor and even then they are not going just to walk through them like a T-800.

Nov 20, 2009
True, but the prices on all handguns is getting rather absurd. When you can spend damn near $1K on a Turkish 9mm then someone needs to second guess needs>desires.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
True, but the prices on all handguns is getting rather absurd. When you can spend damn near $1K on a Turkish 9mm then someone needs to second guess needs>desires.

Not sure where you are but around here you can buy all the brand new Glocks you want for about $500.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure where you are but around here you can buy all the brand new Glocks you want for about $500.

Yep $579 gets me a new Glock G19 equipped with night sights and two magazines. I have over a thousand rounds of 9mm ammo on hand… will need to pick up some more or just buy range ammo when I go shoot it. At least you can generally get 9mm ammo these days so I will try to build up more of it just so I don’t run out.

I could shoot through 200 rounds in one range session so a thousand rounds is about five trips to the range. If I get the PC Carbine it also eats 9mm so I definitely need more.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yep $579 gets me a new Glock G19 equipped with night sights and two magazines. I have over a thousand rounds of 9mm ammo on hand… will need to pick up some more or just buy range ammo when I go shoot it. At least you can generally get 9mm ammo these days so I will try to build up more of it just so I don’t run out.

I could shoot through 200 rounds in one range session so a thousand rounds is about five trips to the range. If I get the PC Carbine it also eats 9mm so I definitely need more.

Relatedly do you have a range recommendation in your part of the world? We're doing a recon trip out there early next year to see if we want to accept a relocation and I need to find somewhere to shoot.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I may be a hoarder lol. I counted my 9mm this morning, and I have over 3,600 rounds of various types. I pick up whatever is available here and there, I only shoot maybe 100-200 rounds a week. I suspect I have about $1,400 worth of 9mm sitting there. In the good old days that would be probably 10,000 rounds. I have 4,500 22lr sitting around, I have been finding 325 round boxes for 7 cents a round so buying like 3 boxes at a crack which is all they allow. I have been getting more than an ordinary amount of FTF with those Federal 40 grain so I'm not buying any more of those though. 22lr I mainly plink with, lately I have been using 17hmr for small game hunting. I have to have a head shot or the middle of the squirrel or it ruins too much meat, but the 17 is far more accurate than my Ruger 10/22 and I can get them almost twice as far away.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Relatedly do you have a range recommendation in your part of the world? We're doing a recon trip out there early next year to see if we want to accept a relocation and I need to find somewhere to shoot.

Where exactly is “out there”?

I live in north county San Diego.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
His job would be in UTC. Exactly where we might live is one of the things we’ll be looking at.

Well, working in UTC you wouldn’t want to live in north county. It would take you an hour to get to work. The 5 freeway is the worst for commuting and I generally try to avoid it as much as possible.

I haven’t done any shooting in that area but Poway Weapons and Gear isn’t too terribly far from UTC and they have a great facility. A lot of cops shoot there but there are probably other ranges in that area that I am not familiar with.

Reactions: K1052

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Blue Force Gear is have a 30% secret sale. 30% OFF - Promo Code: BF30

Might be a good time to pick up a sling if you need/want one.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Blue Force Gear is have a 30% secret sale. 30% OFF - Promo Code: BF30

Might be a good time to pick up a sling if you need/want one.

Fine timing since I just bought one from them two weeks ago hah.

Though I'm going to need one for the the white whale rifle I ordered yesterday...

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Fine timing since I just bought one from them two weeks ago hah.

Though I'm going to need one for the the white whale rifle I ordered yesterday...
They are great slings. I bought one of the padded slings but I guess I'm too small since I can't shorten it enough to fit my body. The perils of being a manlet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I may be a hoarder lol. I counted my 9mm this morning, and I have over 3,600 rounds of various types. I pick up whatever is available here and there, I only shoot maybe 100-200 rounds a week. I suspect I have about $1,400 worth of 9mm sitting there. In the good old days that would be probably 10,000 rounds. I have 4,500 22lr sitting around, I have been finding 325 round boxes for 7 cents a round so buying like 3 boxes at a crack which is all they allow. I have been getting more than an ordinary amount of FTF with those Federal 40 grain so I'm not buying any more of those though. 22lr I mainly plink with, lately I have been using 17hmr for small game hunting. I have to have a head shot or the middle of the squirrel or it ruins too much meat, but the 17 is far more accurate than my Ruger 10/22 and I can get them almost twice as far away.

I wish I had stockpiled more back in 2019. I had the money. I had the space. I had the boxes.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I wish I had stockpiled more back in 2019. I had the money. I had the space. I had the boxes.

You can never have enough ammo. A thousand rounds is only enough for a few range sessions and I barely have that much of a few of the common calibers I shoot. I tend to buy range ammo whenever available just so I don’t shoot through all my own ammo.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You can never have enough ammo. A thousand rounds is only enough for a few range sessions and I barely have that much of a few of the common calibers I shoot. I tend to buy range ammo whenever available just so I don’t shoot through all my own ammo.

You remember when Remington had their Freedom Bucket? Those are long gone.