YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 568 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
despite all the fanboys testifying to the contrary, 1911's are shit for every day carry.

I like my Sig P365. Its excellent for concealed carry in every aspect.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Yea I wouldn't carry a 1911, but I'd carry the Sig for sure. The Glock 43X felt pretty good in hand also.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Recently acquired Beretta M1951. PW Arms must have scored a ton of Italian surplus to import. Better than Century who usually emblazons their huge import mark in the largest most conspicuous place possible. PW puts theirs on the underside of the slide.

M1951.jpeg

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
despite all the fanboys testifying to the contrary, 1911's are shit for every day carry.

I like my Sig P365. Its excellent for concealed carry in every aspect.

I love my Sig P365. It is absolutely the best carry gun currently out there. I've tried the Kimber micro 1911 for a bit there and wasn't a fan. I'm not sure how Sig got such performance out of a smaller gun, but I'm glad they did.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
My take is the best EDC is the gun you have at the ready when the shtf. The other half of the equation is being able to make the hit.

Those who can make both of these things happen will always be in an infinitely better position than those who cannot.

Make, model, caliber, size, capacity, etc are all fun and interesting to explore, but in real life, pretty inconsequential.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My take is the best EDC is the gun you have at the ready when the shtf. The other half of the equation is being able to make the hit.

Those who can make both of these things happen will always be in an infinitely better position than those who cannot.

Make, model, caliber, size, capacity, etc are all fun and interesting to explore, but in real life, pretty inconsequential.
no offense but your take is wrong.

Having something that works well for the task at hand (in my case self defense against an unplanned attack) is the best choice. Pick something that you know you can carry and handle easily, will do the job, and fits your budget (keeping in mind you will need a lot of ammo to train with) and then make sure you actually carry every day.

Also take classes. Any time I decide to switch my carry weapon I go thru a class with it first. Found out the hard way a lot of nice looking guns dont do what needs to be done in a self defense situation. Too hard to reload under stress. Too hard to shoot accurately under stress. Too hard to draw or reholster.

Oh, and for the same reason, you choice of belt and your choice of holster are just as important as your choice of firearm. I know that sounds stupid but its true.

SO MANY things need to work right when you defend yourself with a gun. Too easy for one step to go badly and then you are in deep trouble. Better to make everything as simple and effective as possible.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
no offense but your take is wrong.

Having something that works well for the task at hand (in my case self defense against an unplanned attack) is the best choice. Pick something that you know you can carry and handle easily, will do the job, and fits your budget (keeping in mind you will need a lot of ammo to train with) and then make sure you actually carry every day.

Also take classes. Any time I decide to switch my carry weapon I go thru a class with it first. Found out the hard way a lot of nice looking guns dont do what needs to be done in a self defense situation. Too hard to reload under stress. Too hard to shoot accurately under stress. Too hard to draw or reholster.

Oh, and for the same reason, you choice of belt and your choice of holster are just as important as your choice of firearm. I know that sounds stupid but its true.

SO MANY things need to work right when you defend yourself with a gun. Too easy for one step to go badly and then you are in deep trouble. Better to make everything as simple and effective as possible.

No offense taken, and I don't see how our takes differ that much. I did omit one crucial part, that gun at the ready needs to function.

Clint Smith talks about picking a gun up out of the dirt, as long as it goes bang, you are almost half way there.

I know guys who will out shoot anyone likely on this forum. Holster, no holster, with any gun that will go bang. Training will overcome a whole lot.

It's like having to go against Michael Jordan one on one. Handicap him with worn shoes or a crappy basketball, you are still screwed.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

How do you end up with your Every Day Carry if you haven't explored Make, model, caliber, size and capacity? I would hope one would spend time with the gun they've decided to carry with them all the time..

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I love my P365 SAS in my recluse pocket holster, it is an upgrade from my old glock 43 in every way.

O49gIIE.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
How do you end up with your Every Day Carry if you haven't explored Make, model, caliber, size and capacity? I would hope one would spend time with the gun they've decided to carry with them all the time..

I got the Ruger LCP because it was small and at the time it was my only requirement.
Had to use it to defend myself once and now I know better. After that I tried lots of guns, took several thru self-defense classes and ended up with much better weapons.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006

Since how well you swing the hammer is by far the most important part, choosing is not that difficult. Like showing up to your first day on the job to learn the framing and 75% of the really skilled framers use XYZ hammer and 20% use ABC hammer, you choose and then get to the real difficult part, getting which ever one you choose to become automatic.

You could go to the internet and look what people who talk but cannot do say. You end up with something that looks soooooo cool. Then get laughed at the next day on the job.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Got me a light/laser for the VP9. Olight just came out with an upgrade to their Baldr Mini, the Baldr S. It has a 800 Lumen light and a really freakin' bright green laser that's built right into the light. The light throttles to 300 lumens after 2 minutes of usage. You can also set it at a lower setting of 100 lumens. It's got three modes: light only, green laser, or light and laser.

qQ55AMSl.jpg

E5lCtlml.jpg

OT8f0ugl.jpg

Light only (800 lumens)
ReTy0ZXl.jpg

Green laser is insanely bright. Photo is not how it really looks. I turned on the overhead for this pic.
cAgHAmol.jpg

Light and laser
lCkfUmIl.jpg

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Since how well you swing the hammer is by far the most important part, choosing is not that difficult. Like showing up to your first day on the job to learn the framing and 75% of the really skilled framers use XYZ hammer and 20% use ABC hammer, you choose and then get to the real difficult part, getting which ever one you choose to become automatic.

You could go to the internet and look what people who talk but cannot do say. You end up with something that looks soooooo cool. Then get laughed at the next day on the job.

I have no idea what you're on about here.. Hammers aren't as diverse as guns are. If they were there would be a lot less choices. Unlike a hammer a fit is important to a gun's use, not even getting into all the other options. There really isn't a one size fits all as you're alluding to. The fundamentals of shooting are the same, but not every gun will be as effective as others for some people. Also if you're judging what someone is shooting and laughing at them, that just makes you an asshole.

I got the Ruger LCP because it was small and at the time it was my only requirement.
Had to use it to defend myself once and now I know better. After that I tried lots of guns, took several thru self-defense classes and ended up with much better weapons.

I had the Nano for the same reasons. I had spent some time looking though and it fit the requirements I had at the time, which was my point. For the 'every day carry' I would hope that people spend a bit of time deciding what they wanted/needed in the gun and worked best for them.. which is what I was replying to. The post said "Make, model, caliber, size, capacity, etc are all fun and interesting to explore, but in real life, pretty inconsequential" which I disagree with. Deciding what fits and works best for you is very consequential. If anything going from the Nano to the Sig highlights how make and model are very consequential. They're worlds apart in terms of ease and handling.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
There seems to be a whole lot of folks who think they will find the "perfect defense gun" and they will be golden. There are a lot of diverse choices, some better than others but by far the important boxes to check are availability, reliability and performance. Having a gun at the ready that will not malfunction and being able to make the hit will beat the opposite every single time. The "perfect defense gun" in the gun safe, or without a round in the chamber, or being unable to effectively deploy it in time all result in a fail during perhaps the most important 3 seconds of your life.

The hammer was an IDPA analogy. These guys live and breath shooting, specifically defensive shooting. You will find matches are dominated by Glocks, then 1911's and a very small minority of everything else. Choose a weapon that has proven itself and get on with the real business of learning how to use it in defensive situation. Showing up with something from Star Wars might draw a few chuckles. That could easily be overcome if you out shoot them, Good luck with that.

I can remember drawing some laughter myself. Draw and fire and all you hear is a click. You hear the laughter and look around and see everyone smiling, nodding their head and saying "Been there done that". Same holds true when you draw and fire and hear the bang but your magazine flies out ten feet down range. If you have never done either of these you just have not shot enough. You acquire procedures that greatly lessen the chance of these errors occurring.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Damn, I am so envy at some of you guys with new toys.

Look like guns are steady with pricing for now but ammo are still too high IMO . Over 50 cents per round of brass .223/5.56? Yike.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Damn, I am so envy at some of you guys with new toys.

Look like guns are steady with pricing for now but ammo are still too high IMO . Over 50 cents per round of brass .223/5.56? Yike.
I bought my guns way back when I had a decent job.
Now there is apparently another rush on the gun stores. I think I may sell some of mine at a profit.
Wait.
Buy guns cheap later.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I bought my guns way back when I had a decent job.
Now there is apparently another rush on the gun stores. I think I may sell some of mine at a profit.
Wait.
Buy guns cheap later.

I purchased cheap completed AR from PSA a few years back and the price was about $300 something (can't remember exact number but it was below $400 total) Now the same AR is about $450-$500. They were over $500 a few months ago.

I am more concern about the availability of ammo. Everywhere is higher price or out of stock.

Latest pricing from PSA - CCI 9 mm is $23 for 50 FMJ rounds from PSA (almost 50 cents per round). Federal AE is $650 for 1000 rounds or 65 cents per round. Yike.

Good news for tight ammo supply? Remington Ammo (NOT Arms) is back -

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
At the local huge chain gun store yesterday they had a ton of ammo in, so they had signs up declaring no limits on purchases. Most of the 223 was Remington, the 9mm Federal. Prices still at 40 cents for 9mm and 50 for 223, but it is what it is. I bought a couple boxes of cheap Blazer 9mm to run through a Ruger Max-9 I picked up, along with a Holosun 407K RDS. I'm probably set for ammunition right now, so I'll wait and hope prices trend down.

235248840_4625019797510301_2645914712678239561_n.jpg

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Ok, I just checked PSA and the prices for their completed AR's are (as of 8/2021):

Cheapest - $410
MOE w/ sight - $440
Short 10.5" Pistol - $530
Rail w/sight - $510

Those prices are before shipping/handling and applicable sale tax and other fee(s).

Reactions: gill77

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Ok, I just checked PSA and the prices for their completed AR's are (as of 8/2021):

Cheapest - $410
MOE w/ sight - $440
Short 10.5" Pistol - $530
Rail w/sight - $510

Those prices are before shipping/handling and applicable sale tax and other fee(s).

I was hoping that barreled uppers would have also come down in price, and they have, just not as much as I was hoping.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
What are some good EDC's for someone 5'5" 130lb. I bought a Canik Tp9da last year but with a 4" barrel and 18 or 20rd mag I believe it's too big to carry at my size. Looking for something reliable and hopefully low recoil for accurate follow up shots. I'm my mind those requirements are pretty important. From what I understand smaller guns are pretty "snappy" with recoil and I was wondering if there was a pistol that was an exception to the rule.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
What are some good EDC's for someone 5'5" 130lb. I bought a Canik Tp9da last year but with a 4" barrel and 18 or 20rd mag I believe it's too big to carry at my size. Looking for something reliable and hopefully low recoil for accurate follow up shots. I'm my mind those requirements are pretty important. From what I understand smaller guns are pretty "snappy" with recoil and I was wondering if there was a pistol that was an exception to the rule.
Bigger, heavier guns are more comfortable to shoot. Physics related.

Unless the double stack is too difficult to grip, the size should not be a deal killer.

Controlling recoil is a learned skill that may be the most important aspect of shooting. Rob Leatham has an excellent video discussing this.

As an EDC, I would not worry about size unless you are having concealment issues.

Putting the time in to acquire the skill to make the hit at a moment's notice is what it really boils down to.

If getting a different gun will get you committed to train, then it will make a significant difference. If not might as well stay with what you have.

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Bigger, heavier guns are more comfortable to shoot. Physics related.

Unless the double stack is too difficult to grip, the size should not be a deal killer.

Controlling recoil is a learned skill that may be the most important aspect of shooting. Rob Leatham has an excellent video discussing this.

As an EDC, I would not worry about size unless you are having concealment issues.

Putting the time in to acquire the skill to make the hit at a moment's notice is what it really boils down to.

If getting a different gun will get you committed to train, then it will make a significant difference. If not might as well stay with what you have.
I realize that larger heavier guns are easier to shoot. I also have watched a ton of videos on recoil and grip. What I don't have is a nearby place to put it to practice. I have a laser bullet that helps with trigger control but it doesn't help with recoil control.

I just think the pistol I have is going to be too large to conceal for my size unless I wear a jacket. It is a tad too large for my hands but I can adapt. I do live in WV where we have constitutional carry but I don't want to deal with the law every time I'm caught printing.

I remember the honest outlaw shooting a small pistol and the recoil seemed very manageable. I can't for the life of me remember what it was though. Edit: It could be the Sig Sauer P320 X Compact.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wow, yet more ignorance masquerading as "fact".

Bigger heavier guns are NOT automatically better.

I have a Sig P230 and its a well-made, very heavy steel gun. The recoil is atrocious. It was designed in 1977 and produced between 1978 and 1996.

The Glock 42 was started in 2014 and weighs slightly more than half a P230. It has considerably lighter recoil because it was designed by people who actually think about how guns operate instead of just crapping out something that works.

Reactions: Skel

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

EDC is such a personal thing. What will work for me may not work for you and vice versa.

This is what I would do. Go to a range and ask them to let you handle different guns and if possible, do fire off a few rounds to see how that gun would response in your own hand. See how you like a particular gun and how it feels in your hand. I may like "X" gun because it fits me but that same "X" gun may not work for your at all because your hand is bigger/smaller. I like Glock 26 but Walther fits in my hand a little better so my next hand gun would be it.

Another thing, do you like gun with safety? I would not but it is just me. As I say, it is a personal choice/refer.