YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 566 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm so old I remember when it was 12 cents a round, then as it slowly climbed to 20 cents a round people went apeshit and complained like crazy.
Todays prices must seem like a joke to the old bastards.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I'm so old I remember when it was 12 cents a round, then as it slowly climbed to 20 cents a round people went apeshit and complained like crazy.

That's how I feel when I see the prices of late. I thought they were fucking with me when I heard it hit 60 cents a round.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You can still find it for sub 30 a round if you're willing to wait in lines at the big box sporting good stores. Seems like it's pretty readily available now at around 80 cents a round which is on par with what 45 was about 10 years ago. I'm still not buying, I've got enough to be happy, I'm just not going shooting right now.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You can still find it for sub 30 a round if you're willing to wait in lines at the big box sporting good stores. Seems like it's pretty readily available now at around 80 cents a round which is on par with what 45 was about 10 years ago. I'm still not buying, I've got enough to be happy, I'm just not going shooting right now.

I just check Academy and the cheapest 9 mm brass would be about $0.35 per round from Winchester. You can get lower price but you will have to have steel case ammo from Tulammo.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
The NYPD allowed revolvers up until 2018.

if you care about accuracy the revolver is the better option. nypd uses glocks with mandatory 12 lb ny trigger mod part. my dept required the 9 lb trigger for my off-duty g23 and it was miserable to shoot. the 12 would be torture.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
if you care about accuracy the revolver is the better option. nypd uses glocks with mandatory 12 lb ny trigger mod part. my dept required the 9 lb trigger for my off-duty g23 and it was miserable to shoot. the 12 would be torture.
Not sure I get what you're saying about revolvers being more accurate than semis. I've personally had different experiences and seen a lot of stuff on my range that lead me to believe that's just not the case.. more so when you're talking about firing in double action, which you have to include as it's the first round that goes out normally. IDK.. YMMV greatly on the subject I guess.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There's a shitload of bad information spreading around the internet concerning firearms. One of the biggest lies (that's also universally believed) is the loading action of a gun directly affects its accuracy.
It does not.

The second biggest lie is that 5.56mm bullets tumble. No bullet tumbles unless its weirdly shaped and designed to tumble. There's a handful of specialty 12 gauge slugs that do so, and they are horribly ineffective which is why no one uses them.

Reactions: Skel

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
From what I have seen, nearly all the accuracy of a handgun is a function of the skill of the shooter, be it semi or revolver. Shooting prone or off the bench may be a different story.

There are always exceptions. A buddy had an old 22 revolver that he bought for nine dollars I believe........... he overpaid. I've never seen anything like it. It would be off a foot in either direction at ten feet.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
There's a shitload of bad information spreading around the internet concerning firearms. One of the biggest lies (that's also universally believed) is the loading action of a gun directly affects its accuracy.
It does not.

The second biggest lie is that 5.56mm bullets tumble. No bullet tumbles unless its weirdly shaped and designed to tumble. There's a handful of specialty 12 gauge slugs that do so, and they are horribly ineffective which is why no one uses them.
Yeah I always laugh when I see such comments. A revolver has the potential for being more accurate simply from the fact that everything is fixed. There is no slide to move, the barrel is fixed, etc. However accuracy is purely a result of barrel length, round ballistic properties, and familiarity with the gun. Single action or double action has no impact on the accuracy if you are familiar with it.

And I've never heard claims of 5.56 rounds tumbling. What a funny thought. I've had issues with some keyholing out of 1911s but I'm almost 100% sure it's just due to the paper targets not being well supported enough.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
From what I have seen, nearly all the accuracy of a handgun is a function of the skill of the shooter, be it semi or revolver. Shooting prone or off the bench may be a different story.

There are always exceptions. A buddy had an old 22 revolver that he bought for nine dollars I believe........... he overpaid. I've never seen anything like it. It would be off a foot in either direction at ten feet.

Back in the 60's that was called a Saturday Night Special. It was usually purchased by hoodlums and rabble-rousers since it could be bought for pocket change.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Not sure I get what you're saying about revolvers being more accurate than semis. I've personally had different experiences and seen a lot of stuff on my range that lead me to believe that's just not the case.. more so when you're talking about firing in double action, which you have to include as it's the first round that goes out normally. IDK.. YMMV greatly on the subject I guess.
in the case of nypd they have a choice between continuing to use a revolver or going to a glock with a ny trigger. the average shooter thinks it is a no-brainer, but they have never had to use a ny-trigger.

a revolver in double action is typically 12 lbs pull over a long stroke. it is predictable and consistent. the ny-trigger is actively detrimental when compared to civilian trigger glocks.
the ny-trigger takeup to disengage the firing pin safety is normal but once you get past that the poundage jumps to 9 lbs with no real feel or feedback and you still arent even close to the sear disengage. as you get thru to the final 98% of the trigger stroke you still dont feel the resistance of the striker or the sear trip, so it is just a weird friction and not a mechanical actuation.. the 4 lb civilian trigger uses a tiny bit of mechanical advantage in the trigger pivoting to push the sear past the trip point. the ny trigger part jams a plastic bit that fits in around the sear/drawbar connection area to create mechanical disadvantage. so you have to overcome the natural striker spring resistance and the resistance of the ny part. and the feel is squishy, like you are bending the plastic so it isnt predictable.

we were issued sig226s, but at my academy there were some guys who opted to use their own glocks which the dept armorer installed ny triggers on. these were relatively experienced shooters and you could see them struggling to shoot accurately. everyone else was getting 9 and 10 ring groups with the sigs in sa, while the glock shooters were just barely keeping 10-11 inch groups on the silhouette targets. one of the guys complained up a storm every chance he got, I didnt understand until later when I switched to my glock23 for my off duty gun to reduce some of the weight I was carrying around. after trying to qualify with the ny-trigger, the difference was jarring. and this was with the 9 lb ny trigger. the nypd used the 12 pound at that time.

civilian stock glocks are dead easy to shoot and be accurate. a ny trigger glock leaves you squeezing the trigger with all your might while trying to be smooth and keep the sight picture. you could watch the glock guys at the academy forearms straining and shaking while trying to shoot. [and they were big guys with plenty of upper body strength]. the best analogy i have is to stick a ball point pen behind a gun trigger such that to fire you have to crush the pen first before you can get the trigger past the actuation point.

for duty, if you have a choice between a revolver and a ny-glock, the glock isnt the natural choice. the mod makes the gun so much harder to shoot that it is difficult to have any confidence in being precisely accurate. while adrenaline may help in overcoming some of those trigger issues, if you have other options I would certainly consider them.
furthermore, in shoot/no shoot scenarios a 12 lb double action trigger is a very comforting thing to have, especially when you are holster drawing or clearing a building in the dark with your gun at the low ready.

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I can honestly say I have never heard of a ny-trigger. Guess I have tx-triggers.......2lbs.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I like this article:

A lot of it made sense to me. I've been to 4 minuteman classes, two of which I had AR style rifles.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Prices are going up on guns since the last two shootings. PSA is charging $20 extra on top of their sales of uppers and lowers. I don't need to say anything else about ammo.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I got myself a Shadow Systems MR920 Combat yesterday. I bit the bullet and ordered a few hundred 115 gr at 60 cents a round just to run the required 200 break-in rounds through it. You gotta do what you gotta do if you want to play. I was sold a box of 50 when I picked it up, I'll try it out tomorrow. I've been sitting her dry firing it for a while to loosen it up, but it's raining all day so I'll have to make noise on the Sabbath.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Found out we have a local remanufacturer. They've been around for years so not worried about the quality. Found them as I desperately need some 9mm. Picked up 115gr for $10/50 round box with a four box limit. 40S&W wasn't even a deal at $30/50 round box but I need to replace what I have to shoot. Now if I could find 9mm hollowpoints it would be great.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Found out we have a local remanufacturer. They've been around for years so not worried about the quality. Found them as I desperately need some 9mm. Picked up 115gr for $10/50 round box with a four box limit. 40S&W wasn't even a deal at $30/50 round box but I need to replace what I have to shoot. Now if I could find 9mm hollowpoints it would be great.

I tried some Freedom munitions reman, and while it had all worked it is very dirty. It's still $30 a box for 50 ugh.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I just picked up a Benjamin Ironhyde. its pretty fun for plinking and taking care of nuisance species without freaking out the neighbors.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
PSA is having a "sale" of 9 mm. A box of 50 rounds of CCI Blazer FMJ brass is $36. Over 3x the old price of $10/box.

A dollar per round soon?

$100 per strip lower, 2 x of the old price of $50.

Edit: look like Academy has better pricing for .223 ammo than other outlets, "only" $10 for 20 rounds of brass .223, if you can find them in stock.

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I was able to score two boxes of Remington 9mm from my local Scheels Sunday for $21 a box. They limit you to 1 box per day so the wife and I each bought 1 box. I just happened to walk by when an employee put about 30 boxes on the shelf.

We put what we bought in the car, and went back in to try and sneakily buy 2 more. The employee who sold me my last gun said they could not really enforce the ammo restrictions and that it was on the honor system, so I didn't feel too bad going back to buy 2 more. We did drive an hour one way to get there after all lol.

But when we got there the shelf was empty. They said that sometimes people just scoop them up and buy what they can, and will do things like try to hide boxes between shelves, or in the pockets of out of season clothing that no one might try on for a while. Then they either keep buying more, or tell their friends where it's at.