YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 501 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I took home the 2nd Howa Mini Action rifle today. The barrel on this one is still off to the left a bit but not touching the stock. I'll hopefully get to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots...

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Is that a 1st gen or 2nd?
Which magazines for it?
Where did you order it from?

I have a 40 HiPoint that has been flawless that replaced a 30 carbine. I kinda think I would have been happier with a 9mm though.

Gen2. It takes the glock mags. I have a S&W shield but they do not have a sub2000 version for that yet... plus they have a cool glock 50 round drum I want to buy. I picked it up off gunbroker.com.

I thought a lot about the hi point as well. My only issue with it was the weight. The kel-tec is a little over 4 pounds unloaded and folds up for easy transport. otherwise I would have saved a little money and went with the hi point 995. There are a lot of hi-pint haters as well (maybe from their hand guns) but the 995 has nothing but good reviews. I am good with the 9mm since I can trade ammo with my M&P shield.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The howa shot great groups at 25 yards but when moved back to 100 yards would not group worth crap. Was using american eagle 55 gr .223. My dad shot it using hornady vmax 55 gr and got a decent group. Need to adjust the scope though as its shooting several inches low and to the left.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Anyone shot a 300 Winchester Magnum? Remington has a $100 rebate for a few more days, and I'm considering building one of my bucket list guns, a long range rifle off of one of their 700 series guns, but I'm reading the recoil is 30% greater than a 30-06, and affects accuracy & is uncomfortable to shoot.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Finally bit the bullet on a 45 ACP, found a factory refurbished Glock 21 frame with all the internals for $200, and a used Lone Wolf long slide, BBL, and recoil spring for $300. Considering a 10mm barrel conversion as well. Should have it all delivered in a week or so. There's a cosmetic gap using the LW slide on a gen 4 frame, but it'll be a fun range toy with the longer sight radius and soft shooting 45's.

Since I only have Glocks, and use one as a carry weapon, it'll keep up my skills, make me a touch safer, faster, etc...

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I decided I wanted to add an underfolder AK to the collection, so last night I ordered a new AK63D from Buds. Hopefully it will be delivered next week sometime.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Using the Dillon at work yesterday. Targeting from left to right then back left. Pretty awesome weapon in my opinion.

Dillon

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Has anyone seen gun safe shelving for sale anywhere? I've been looking at a Cannon "Valley Forge" safe that's on sale at a local place. It's lacking any shelving (and I'm kicking myself for not buying it's partner in the place that was the same safe only with shelving and another $10.) but I can't find any place to see what shelving might cost me. I understand that I could make my own, but I'd prefer if possible to get the same shelving that's in all the other safes..

Thanks!

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Got the Model 21 frame, but was outbid on the slide :(. Have a search set up on Gunbroker to find a used Lone Wolf long slide for it.

Got the Remington 783 in as well, it looks and feels like Glock made a cheap rifle, LOL, scope is just this side of trash bin quality, but will move it to a 10/22 eventually.

Have the urge to buy a Ruger 110BA, might cave, damn 338 Lapua has always been a bucket list caliber for me.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
looks like the new Howa is going back. can't get a decent group out of it and i tried 6 or 7 different brands of ammo.

this is so annoying and frustrating. Not sure what to try next. Thinking Tikka T3 Lite.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
looks like the new Howa is going back. can't get a decent group out of it and i tried 6 or 7 different brands of ammo.

this is so annoying and frustrating. Not sure what to try next. Thinking Tikka T3 Lite.

Did you notice if the SN # were close? Wonder if they were from the same batch.

I'd like you all to know you're a terrible influence, I think I'm going to win an auction on gunbroker for a 110BA. D: LGD says its $300 cheaper than he can buy it for, and there's a $100 rebate too.

Last edited:

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
And...

It's mine, for $300 less than my FFL guy can buy it for, and there's a $100 rebate too.

110bax1200.png

Last edited:

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Bought me one of these to go with the spare lower I have sitting in the safe.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ite-11-lightweight-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html

Just trying to abide my the platinum rule, since I have extra parts I am obligated to finish them into complete builds.

I have 2 PSA lowers sitting around I picked up for $49 each, so tempted to build AR pistols out of them, but for the life of me, I don't need 3 :)

And holy shit, long range scopes are expensive. :eek:

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have 2 PSA lowers sitting around I picked up for $49 each, so tempted to build AR pistols out of them, but for the life of me, I don't need 3 :)

And holy shit, long range scopes are expensive. :eek:

Long range scopes are expensive, but are worth it. I absolutely love my Nightforce NXS on my precision rifle. You certainly get what you pay for.