YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 399 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
This horse has been beat to death in every gun thread ever, but imo the main factors on if a shotgun is right for your HD are layout of the home and confidence/skill of the shooter(s).

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I like the safety on my Glocks......it's called, "my finger". :thumbsup:

Love the Springfield safety on the grip. No chance for fumbling around in the dark in the middle of the night, and god forbid a child ever gets ahold of one and played with it, they cannot discharge it while pointing it at themselves. (I don't have kids, but people tend to suck and be careless).

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Shotguns are just relatively un-thought-through solutions for home defense.

Take the girlfriend shooting once with it and full powered 00 buck and see how interested she'll be in shooting it again.

Depends on the GF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6CBKUM9gk8

Obviously a new shooter will need some instruction in proper stance, shouldering, etc, but that's why you don't start off shooting magnum loads.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I like the safety on my Glocks......it's called, "my finger". :thumbsup:

BHD-044.jpg

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
:rolleyes:

finger discipline is more important than a safety

Id rather the gun be simple to operate than be complex and 'safe'

Absolutely true. I will however state that I love the idea of a grip safety...and I think it does more to increase the safety of the 1911 than its active safety does.

As for my winchester...if it's in home defense mode (which it seldom is really), it has 5 low recoil buckshot rounds in the tube (low recoil since the gun was made in 1911), empty chamber, hammer down and pump ready to move back.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Just got back from a long weekend, got to have some range time with my brother and try some new toys.

Got to fire his Springfield XD-45. Trigger is a bit mushy but a good shooter, just as controllable as my SIG Pro. Really makes me want to go for the XDm 3.8 I considered a while ago.

He got a job as armed security and was issued a S&W 64-5. It's a boat anchor, standard rounds in this are barely harder than .22 though the trigger is really heavy. Magtech .38 ammo is D-I-R-T-Y. I was the only one who fired anything out of that revolver since it was last cleaned, and only 6 rounds. I swear I cleaned way more carbon off that revolver than I did from my SIG after 75 rounds of 9mm.

Had my first experience with a Mosin Nagant M91/30 and he hadn't fired it yet. The recoil with surplus ammo wasn't nearly as bad as people were making it out to be...though something in the ejection assembly is broken. The casing would just get stuck on the extractor so I didn't fire more than 10 rounds.

That wasn't the worst though...my brother developed a high-pressure loading for .35 Remington he wants to use for hunting hogs (in one hit) in his Marlin 336C. He claims 1/2" groups at 100yd...I believe it. There was a sheet of paper at the 100 yard line and every shot he put was in the area. But man, the thing hits with the force of a small cannon. I fired only two rounds and it knocked me out of the scope relief so much I couldn't see where it hit. I didn't have that much trouble with the standard rounds when I shot it the first time.

My brother and his wife are really impressed with my SP2022, though. When I first got it his reaction was "You got THAT? WHY?" When he finally shot it he loved it so much he was trying to trade his XD for it.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Depends on the GF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6CBKUM9gk8

Obviously a new shooter will need some instruction in proper stance, shouldering, etc, but that's why you don't start off shooting magnum loads.

Sure. But how many stores are recommending semi auto pumps (these tend to be north of $1K price wise) for home defense versus the $300 pumps?

If your SO is into firearms, it's not a hard sell to make. But most SOs aren't into things that go boom. And putting a $300 pump into their hands, under stress, with a shell that they know is going to hurt to shoot and ask them how into it they'll be.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The Nikon p-223 came in from walmart (best price I could find). They must have thought it was a hammer. A refurbed hammer. The scope box was beat to hell, the scope was unsecured in the box and had been flopping around.

Already printed the return slip.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Sure. But how many stores are recommending semi auto pumps (these tend to be north of $1K price wise) for home defense versus the $300 pumps?

If your SO is into firearms, it's not a hard sell to make. But most SOs aren't into things that go boom. And putting a $300 pump into their hands, under stress, with a shell that they know is going to hurt to shoot and ask them how into it they'll be.

If it's what she's asking for, then ignorantly or not she's at least into the concept. If the shotgun doesn't work out then get her a decent handgun. *shrug*

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I took a couple of lady friends shooting for Memorial Day. Both were newbies.

They loved shooting the SIG (9mm), my AR with a .22 upper, and my AK (7.62x39). They didn't enjoy shooting my snub .44MAG at all. FWIW.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
:rolleyes:

finger discipline is more important than a safety

Id rather the gun be simple to operate than be complex and 'safe'

So how does finger discipline stop brush or branches from setting off a trigger?

In rough ground, sometimes people trip.

Every few years there's a new story about how a dog shoots his owner. The gun gets set down, and the dog steps on.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
So how does finger discipline stop brush or branches from setting off a trigger?

In rough ground, sometimes people trip.

Every few years there's a new story about how a dog shoots his owner. The gun gets set down, and the dog steps on.

yeah how does that relate to the comments about glocks? you should have a glock in a holster if you are out with it and not engaging something ;)

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
If it's what she's asking for, then ignorantly or not she's at least into the concept. If the shotgun doesn't work out then get her a decent handgun. *shrug*

I'm going to make her shoot her dad's 12 gauge a bit before we continue. If she handles it like a champ, then I'll go for it. Otherwise, I don't particularly want one and we can shelf the idea.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Just finished ordering the wifey this little beauty
411553190.jpg

Along with 2 7rnd mags and 500 rounds of ammo from LAXAmmo, anybody order from them before? Seems like decent reviews out there for them but I'm still not clear on if the ammo will be loose packed in the can or come in boxes:\

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Depends on the ammo. I've ordered several times from LAXAmmo. If it's reloads, it'll probably come in bags. If it's new manufactured, it'll come in boxes.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Cool, it was new...$175 for 500rnds is cheaper than Wally sells their WWB for locally, when they have any at all

I'll be damned...I order it 1.5 hours ago and just got the tracking number saying it's shipped:eek:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
My dad had inherited the families WWII era Sweet Sixteen, I asked him about it before he passed away.

It went to one of the grand kids in the family for the future, wish I had the thing but he'll probably get more use out of it anyway.

Are nice shotguns.