YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 560 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Do you remember what place? I've contacted a few places around that don't have openings. Worcester is only a 30-40 minute ride for me

Literally just Mass firearms school :p

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
Some things for you guys to mull over:

nMb3PXr.jpg

BiUMQGv.jpg

aByZ2Ha.jpg

H2MG2EQ.jpg
What firearm? What ammo? At what distance? Zeroed? They all seem to be very "off" and poorly zeroed.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So some cop on duty that day is doing the interview gets to decide if he is sane or insane. That's fucking insane.

I'll let you know how mine goes, might not be for a bit. I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten it approved. If you go to the MA.gov gun info site, the LEO will check you against the MA mental health DB at least, but I haven't found on the actual site where an in person interview is required. I have not read more than the webpages.

Edit: and my town has a single officer who is in charge of this. You won't talk to anyone else about it afaik

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Yep, MA takes both mental health and gun ownership seriously. ;)
So some cop on duty that day is doing the interview gets to decide if he is sane or insane. That's fucking insane.

The idea is good, the execution is poor. It shouldn’t be up to the “firearms detective” that I’m meeting tomorrow but the safety class requirement and some kind of in person appearance is a decent idea. The things that really irritate me are that I have to find special MA legal guns with lower capacity, AR-15 and AK-47 rifles are illegal but I can go out and buy a Mini 14, which to me seems substantially similar but less “scary looking”. Anyway I’ve decided to go for a full unrestricted/CCW license “just because” basically since I have no good reason for it, we will see how it goes.

On the other hand NH 20 minutes north seems to do just fine with no licensing requirements whatsoever.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The idea is good, the execution is poor. It shouldn’t be up to the “firearms detective” that I’m meeting tomorrow but the safety class requirement and some kind of in person appearance is a decent idea. The things that really irritate me are that I have to find special MA legal guns with lower capacity, AR-15 and AK-47 rifles are illegal but I can go out and buy a Mini 14, which to me seems substantially similar but less “scary looking”. Anyway I’ve decided to go for a full unrestricted/CCW license “just because” basically since I have no good reason for it, we will see how it goes.

On the other hand NH 20 minutes north seems to do just fine with no licensing requirements whatsoever.

Yea, NH is quite a bit different than MA. They've got a much less populous state and the "Live Free or Die" motto.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

My state also takes gun ownership and mental health seriously. There is a background check where the local hospital, the local mental health facility, the state mental hospital, if you are a vet, the VA hospital are checked to see if you have ever been admitted for mental issues, in addition to check with the clerk of court to see of there are any legal proceedings related to your mental stability.

That is much saner and more thorough than a chat with a cop, who is possibly having a bad day unrelated to you.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Which is worse, not being a gun fanatic, or being one and too poor to support the habit?
Assuming that is a serious question, you can slowly build a decent collection for not a lot of money depending on the type of guns you like. Or at least you could before the pandemic/unrest scares pushed demand and prices through the roof. Hopefully things will calm down after the elections, or maybe by next year. Prices have come down a tiny, tiny bit lately, but nothing like they were 12 months ago.

Gun.deals is a good website to watch prices on. Deals on basic ARs are running around $550+ right now. Brownells has one going right now, but they are back ordered.

Reactions: gill77

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Everything about guns is more expensive, especially the AR15. Upper, BCG, CH, Lower, magazine, ammo all are higher priced.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
My state also takes gun ownership and mental health seriously. There is a background check where the local hospital, the local mental health facility, the state mental hospital, if you are a vet, the VA hospital are checked to see if you have ever been admitted for mental issues, in addition to check with the clerk of court to see of there are any legal proceedings related to your mental stability.

That is much saner and more thorough than a chat with a cop, who is possibly having a bad day unrelated to you.

Since I don't have any first hand xp with MA and licensing, I'm not sure what to expect. I dont want to jump to conclusions about the interview thing.

MA certainly has a low firearm mortality rate, which I'm totes coo with

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
You missed he's in Massachusetts I bet. Some states have some really screwed up hoops to jump through to prove you are a responsible person.

I saw that he was in Massachusetts. Not being from there, I didn't know such a thing existed. Of course, I'm here in Texas. But still never heard of an interview.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Interview was the wrong word. Basically just dropped off paperwork, took prints, firearms detective said all looks good, I’ll call you when the license is ready. He said they (my town couple miles from Boston in particular) don’t issue unrestricted concealed carry for first timers but I could call in a few-six months and get it switched.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Assuming that is a serious question, you can slowly build a decent collection for not a lot of money depending on the type of guns you like. Or at least you could before the pandemic/unrest scares pushed demand and prices through the roof. Hopefully things will calm down after the elections, or maybe by next year. Prices have come down a tiny, tiny bit lately, but nothing like they were 12 months ago.

Gun.deals is a good website to watch prices on. Deals on basic ARs are running around $550+ right now. Brownells has one going right now, but they are back ordered.

Thanks for the Gun.deals link.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Interview was the wrong word. Basically just dropped off paperwork, took prints, firearms detective said all looks good, I’ll call you when the license is ready. He said they (my town couple miles from Boston in particular) don’t issue unrestricted concealed carry for first timers but I could call in a few-six months and get it switched.

I'll put my pearls away for now😉

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
So you are treated like a 16 year old with a 'restricted drivers license' with limits on number of passengers, not allowed to drive past 9PM, etc., etc.

• Haha

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
And why do they do that to new drivers?
So how do you prove you are responsible enough to have 'unrestricted' carry permit. Not shoot someone? Do you have to document how many hours you carry, similar to how my grandson had so document the amount of driving he did.

If I break any of the restrictions of the carry laws in my state, my permit is revoked, or even things that do not involve a gun or gun laws, like a DWI, a restraining order, arrest, etc.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So how do you prove you are responsible enough to have 'unrestricted' carry permit. Not shoot someone? Do you have to document how many hours you carry, similar to how my grandson had so document the amount of driving he did.

If I break any of the restrictions of the carry laws in my state, my permit is revoked, or even things that do not involve a gun or gun laws, like a DWI, a restraining order, arrest, etc.

Yes, not having gun problems is how it's proved out. If you get your permit and do nothing with it, I guess that's enough for them.

The second paragraph seems reasonable.

It seems like you're looking for a problem to have. Whereas, I'll agree with @repoman0 , the restrictions are probably more problematic that's the permit req's.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
So you are treated like a 16 year old with a 'restricted drivers license' with limits on number of passengers, not allowed to drive past 9PM, etc., etc.

I can’t bring myself to care. My town is safe and no one carries a gun. The only thing I can’t do is carry a loaded handgun outside of state parks. Can still go hunting, carry it on hikes, defend my home with deadly force, etc.

I don’t prove anything when I ask for unrestricted .. just request it after some learning and training time, which is more than reasonable.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
It seems like you're looking for a problem to have. Whereas, I'll agree with @repoman0 , the restrictions are probably more problematic that's the permit req's.

The most annoying thing is that pre-AWB high capacity magazines for any gun, along with AR-15 and AK-47 rifles, are legal, but people know that so prices are inflated. So basically the restrictions are totally pointless, just a pain for legitimate owners, and criminals can still easily and legally access them.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I can’t bring myself to care. My town is safe and no one carries a gun. The only thing I can’t do is carry a loaded handgun outside of state parks. Can still go hunting, carry it on hikes, defend my home with deadly force, etc.

I don’t prove anything when I ask for unrestricted .. just request it after some learning and training time, which is more than reasonable.
So no one in your town carries a gun? So exactly why are you applying for a permit to carry a gun?
Do you have to document and submit any proof of your 'learning and training time'?

Second, what are the restrictions imposed on a "restricted" permit vs. "unrestricted"?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
So no one in your town carries a gun? So exactly why are you applying for a permit to carry a gun?
Do you have to document and submit any proof of your 'learning and training time'?

Second, what are the restrictions imposed on a "restricted" permit vs. "unrestricted"?

I need the permit to buy a gun, and I want to learn to shoot. I wrote in my reasoning for asking for unrestricted something like “I don’t plan to carry a gun and would prefer not to, but would like the option legally available to me in the unlikely event that COVID/other current events deteriorates to the point of compromising public safety”. No proof required when requesting a switch over to full unrestricted as far as I can gather.

The restriction is really just no carrying a loaded handgun in public. Still can transport it unloaded to the range, hunt, take it (loaded) on hikes in state parks.