YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 562 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
LTC came in the mail today, unrestricted. So now I can start looking at what to buy, safety gear first.
First congrats...

Curious about states that have different 'levels' of carry permits. What are the different flavors of your states LTC, and what are the differences? Did you have to get the permit before you can purchase a handgun?

I have a NC CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). There are different levels.

footnote: You will end up owning more holsters than guns, whether you have 1 gun or 20.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Decided to buy myself a 357 revolver as a retirement present.
Anyone have opinions on Ruger Match Champion and S&W Performance Center?
4" barrel
Adjustable rear sight
No SA only
Prefer 6 shot

I've have the S&W 686 Performance Center 2.5" barrel. It's got wood grips and holds 7 shots. The 4" has a vented barrel, black synthetic grips and holds 6 shots. They all SA/DA and have an adjustable rear sight.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
First congrats...

Curious about states that have different 'levels' of carry permits. What are the different flavors of your states LTC, and what are the differences? Did you have to get the permit before you can purchase a handgun?

I have a NC CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). There are different levels.

footnote: You will end up owning more holsters than guns, whether you have 1 gun or 20.

Yea, you have to have a permit to buy a handgun. You don't have to have the LTC to buy rifles / shotguns, but those need FID to buy.

LTC has two versions:

Restricted - cannot conceal carry. Can have handgun at home, in vehicle to transport to gun range, and at the range

Unrestricted - can conceal carry in allowed areas. Off the top of my head, it's like schools, government buildings, that aren't allowed.

What are the NC levels?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yea, you have to have a permit to buy a handgun. You don't have to have the LTC to buy rifles / shotguns, but those need FID to buy.

LTC has two versions:

Restricted - cannot conceal carry. Can have handgun at home, in vehicle to transport to gun range, and at the range

Unrestricted - can conceal carry in allowed areas. Off the top of my head, it's like schools, government buildings, that aren't allowed.

What are the NC levels?
Anyone that can own a gun, (not a felon, no restraining orders, etc) can open carry starting at age 18. There is no permit required to own a gun. There is no gun registration either.

A CHP if for concealed carry, with the exception of places where laws don't permit, and of course federal property like the post office. Can't carry into schools, but can have in vehicle, or on my person if I remain in the vehicle, on school property, which was nice when I was picking up grandsons before they started driving.

To purchase a handgun you either need a PPP (pistol purchase permit) or CHP both of which are obtained from the sheriff. Long guns are done through the NICS database check at time of purchase, or if you have a PPP or CHP.
CHP can be used to purchase handgun or long gun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finally sold my fucking LCP.
Only got 275 for it which is shit because I also included a bunch of holsters and magazines. Some of the magazines had never been used.

Also it looks like the gun hoarding is over, but the ammo hoarding is not.
9mm is now going for a dollar ten. That makes for a very expensive day at the range. Experts predict the bullet shortage will continue for one more year. Every time something happens the morons start buying it by the case, and most of them are not even gun nuts. They're noobs.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
9mm is now going for a dollar ten. That makes for a very expensive day at the range. Experts predict the bullet shortage will continue for one more year. Every time something happens the morons start buying it by the case, and most of them are not even gun nuts. They're noobs.

I've given up on ammo during the pandemic. I guess I'll stock up after this is over. I will not be gouged.

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Finally sold my fucking LCP.
Only got 275 for it which is shit because I also included a bunch of holsters and magazines. Some of the magazines had never been used.

Or we buy it by the case before something happens.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Or we buy it by the case before something happens.

Buying by the case is definitely the way to go. The UPS guy used to show up about once a month with a case of 45ACP and I remember it being $202 including shipping and any taxes.

I think prices have crept up a little now :wink:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Buying by the case is definitely the way to go. The UPS guy used to show up about once a month with a case of 45ACP and I remember it being $202 including shipping and any taxes.

I think prices have crept up a little now :wink:
Last time I bought 9MM it was $217 shipped for 1k rounds.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Brass brand name 9 mm bullets are about $0.28 to $.30 per bullet if you buy them in a standard box of 50 at BassProShop and .223/5.56 ammo are about $0.55/ea per box of 20. I need to use my $10 off from $40 purchase soon. Holly smoke, Ammoman is even more expensive on ammo than BassPro. Academy is about the same with brass ammo, about $1 cheaper per box on steel case ammo.

And AR15 magazines are higher too. Magpul mags were about $8/ea. shipped and now they are $12.50/ea. or more.

I am glad that I stocked up long before this run up on ammo and guns.

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
One unexpected benefit of having planned ahead is being able to help a buddy out when he comes over looking for ammo.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
After the last time we had a ammo drought (after Sandy Hook I believe) I hoarded bullets like crazy. My friends were all amused at it until now. Now suddenly I'm the one that gets to still shoot.. Which is even better as the range isn't as busy as it normally is.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Can't buy anything here except overpriced crappy stuff in 9mm or 5.56 etc. I'm not into handguns, just long rifles, which is a bit easier to buy for though. I have to drive an hour to a Scheels store to buy .22 or .17HMR or 25.06 and they only sell you two boxes per caliber. The good thing is you can just go grab two more boxes and go through the register again until you're tired of it.

I have about 1,000 22lr and 1,000 .17 and maybe 30 rounds of 25.06 lol. I do have several thousand .22 pellets for my pellet guns though, but even some of the stuff I like to use I can't find. I think my .22 pellet gun is more picky about what I put through it than any other gun I own.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
C... they only sell you two boxes per caliber. The good thing is you can just go grab two more boxes and go through the register again until you're tired of it..
I did that a few years ago with 5.56.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
The media always made their narrative revolve around banning guns and or the confiscation of guns.

Gun guys knew this was either improbable or would not be successful. They worried about the ammo supply drying up.

Given that nothing ever becomes 100% unavailable at any cost, it makes me wonder just where we are currently and what the future looks like.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I could get through a few seasons of the walking dead with my 9mm, .22LR, and 5.56 stock from years ago. As with others above, I'd rather have more magazines and bullets than 15 ar-15 rifles and no bullets.

It's why I always shake my head when the media narrative after a mass shooting is how the cops went to the shooter's home and he had 500 ROUNDS OF AMMO!!!!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I could get through a few seasons of the walking dead with my 9mm, .22LR, and 5.56 stock from years ago. As with others above, I'd rather have more magazines and bullets than 15 ar-15 rifles and no bullets.

It's why I always shake my head when the media narrative after a mass shooting is how the cops went to the shooter's home and he had 500 ROUNDS OF AMMO!!!!

Ding..ding..ding...winner winner chicken dinner.

A gun with no bullet is less useful than a stick/baseball bat in my opinion.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I bought 500 rounds of .223 in 2018. I'm not running short. My only problem is purchasing a .357 revolver during the early pandemic. Would like to at least have 200 rounds of .38 special. Haven't really looked for it in over a month. I am hopeful that things will return to normal once Biden is sworn in. I'm not holding my breath. Hoarders will probably keep on buying until we stop wearing masks. Sometimes next year at this time.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
After the last time we had a ammo drought (after Sandy Hook I believe) I hoarded bullets like crazy. My friends were all amused at it until now. Now suddenly I'm the one that gets to still shoot.. Which is even better as the range isn't as busy as it normally is.
About that time 9mm and 45ACP were not to be found. I also had several 40S&W guns, and it was relatively easy to find... stocked up.
When things slacked off I built my 9mm stock back up. Scored cases of 5.56 and 9 at good prices, plus a bunch of 22lr. It is my precious metal of choice.

Today I'm good, except for .380, but that's not my go to when SHTF. Still pleanty for daily carry needs, as it is still my favorite carry, simply because of size.

Reactions: gill77

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
About that time 9mm and 45ACP were not to be found. I also had several 40S&W guns, and it was relatively easy to find... stocked up.
When things slacked off I built my 9mm stock back up. Scored cases of 5.56 and 9 at good prices, plus a bunch of 22lr. It is my precious metal of choice.

Today I'm good, except for .380, but that's not my go to when SHTF. Still pleanty for daily carry needs, as it is still my favorite carry, simply because of size.

Similar situation re the .380. Also a tad light on .308, but it doesn't keep me up at night :)