YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 558 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I do have a comment/question about shorties. Why bother to go through with all the hassles and paper work with the fed or you can just get a shock wave or brace or "bare tube" receiver?

1. Full stocks are more comfortable than the brace, though YMMV.
2. There's always the chance someone will fix the glitch and braces will be outlawed again.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I definitely want to get a SAA pistol one day.

I don't know anything about them though so I'll have to do some research. Such an iconic design.

There are plenty of options but there is only one original and the cool thing about them is how long they’ve been making them and the fact that it is largely unchanged since it was introduced.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I'm sure everyone has heard how gun sales have gone through the roof. One thing that seems to be overlooked is also securing a holster. If I have heard it once, I have heard it 1,000 times:

"YOUR HOLSTER IS A SAFETY DEVICE!"

Given how crazy things have become lately, it might be time acquire one for your pistol of choice or get real comfortable with the one you have.

Besides the safety issue, if the shtf, it is advantageous to know exactly where your gun is, that it is safe and secure, and your hands are free for other things that need your attention.

The best bang for the buck that I can think of is dry firing. No drive time, no ammo cost.

3,000 has been said to be the magic number for muscle memory. Seems like a lot, but it is 100 a day for a month. The results will amaze you.

Probably best to take some time to learn the proper technique before you hard wire it in.

Good luck, be safe.

ps. Mexican Carry: I do know highly trained folks who use it, but I don't recommend it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'm sure everyone has heard how gun sales have gone through the roof. One thing that seems to be overlooked is also securing a holster. If I have heard it once, I have heard it 1,000 times:

"YOUR HOLSTER IS A SAFETY DEVICE!"

Given how crazy things have become lately, it might be time acquire one for your pistol of choice or get real comfortable with the one you have.

Besides the safety issue, if the shtf, it is advantageous to know exactly where your gun is, that it is safe and secure, and your hands are free for other things that need your attention.

The best bang for the buck that I can think of is dry firing. No drive time, no ammo cost.

3,000 has been said to be the magic number for muscle memory. Seems like a lot, but it is 100 a day for a month. The results will amaze you.

Probably best to take some time to learn the proper technique before you hard wire it in.

Good luck, be safe.

ps. Mexican Carry: I do know highly trained folks who use it, but I don't recommend it.

I have holsters for a couple of my guns and a couple guns that will fit multiple holsters. Anyway, if the SHTF I'm packing my Springfield Armory 1911 on my hip with a few extra mags in my pocket. I've put over 1000 rounds through this gun and it works flawlessly. I have several 1911's and have been shooting them for over 30 years. I am very comfortable with them.

I would never carry a gun just shoved into my waistband. I do have an ITWB holster for a compact 1911 though.

Reactions: gill77

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I have holsters for a couple of my guns and a couple guns that will fit multiple holsters. Anyway, if the SHTF I'm packing my Springfield Armory 1911 on my hip with a few extra mags in my pocket. I've put over 1000 rounds through this gun and it works flawlessly. I have several 1911's and have been shooting them for over 30 years. I am very comfortable with them.

I would never carry a gun just shoved into my waistband. I do have an ITWB holster for a compact 1911 though.

Perfect.

A nice addition would be a double magazine carrier. Faster access. Pockets are fine for empties.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Holster selection is EXTREMELY important and since so many people are hideously ignorant about guns they are also ignorant about holsters.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

For reference, Greg Ellifritz is NOT an armchair commando.
He's been a patrol officer for a long time, and a police instructor and civilian instructor for many years. The guy has seen a great many issues while conducting training with real people and knows what works and what doesnt.
A lot of shit propagated by instructors will no real world experience gets pushed around as "Expert Advice" but is actually quite dangerous and worse, needs to be untrained at some point.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Perfect.

A nice addition would be a double magazine carrier. Faster access. Pockets are fine for empties.

I’m not planning on going into combat and I seriously doubt I will ever be able to carry a gun concealed or otherwise in this state so a magazine carrier has never been something I have ever had much use for.

I have holsters for carry out in the desert when I go shooting with friends. We strap and spend a day out there hiking around and setting up camp even overnight so it is useful having a sidearm strapped to your hip in those situations but almost impossible to get a carry permit for anywhere near where I live.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The purpose of a second magazine is to compensate for possible failures with an automatic. Its much easier to drop your current mag, clear the problem, and insert a new mag.
Trying to pocket the old mag under duress is damn near impossible.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
The purpose of a second magazine is to compensate for possible failures with an automatic. Its much easier to drop your current mag, clear the problem, and insert a new mag.

Nope

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I get that, however, I cannot carry a gun legally in this state so the point is rather moot. I’m not carrying a gun around on me in my home and the only time I am carrying is on shooting trips out in the desert with friends so there are typically four of us, armed to the teeth together. You would have to really be desperate to try something against four armed men in the middle of nowhere who can see you coming a mile away.

I use nothing but Wilson magazines in my 1911s as they have proven to be extremely reliable over many years of use. No cheap gun show knockoffs or crap aftermarket mags.

Besides, if I’m dropping a magazine and inserting another one under duress why would I bother trying to pocket the one I dropped? I would just drop it, deal with the threat and then retrieve it later.

Last edited:
Reactions: mopardude87

gill77

Aug 3, 2006

Sorry buddy, none of this is correct.

The purpose of additional magazines is, imagine this, additional ammo.

Standard procedure for clearing a malfunction is tap and rack, not removing the magazine.

The reason to train is to be able to make the things you need to do automatic, to mitigate the effects of duress.

You train to do a speed reload where you could care less about the empty mag.

You train to do a tactical reload where you have expended some rounds, have cover and the time to save the rounds left in the mag, but would like to get back to fully loaded.

Reactions: Paladin3

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
For years I conceal carried my 12+1 compact 9mm in a soft Uncle Mikes IWB holster, which was comfortable as heck because of all the padding. More often than not I didn't even bother with an extra mag. A few months ago I switched to a Concealment Express IWB kydex holster and an OWB kydex magazine pouch. Both the new holster and pouch have much better retention and I can reholster the gun without looking or having to hold it open like I did with the soft holster. Twenty-five rounds of 9mm plus the gun itself is kinda heavy inside the waistband (that's what she said), but it balances out some carrying one on each side and one get's used to it pretty quickly. I doubt I will every have to use the weapon defensively, but I figured if I'm going to carry I should at least do it right in holsters with good gun and magazine retention.

When I go camping or into the woods I open carry in an OWB holster for comfort. Or I carry a SAA revolver in a OWB soft holster. Or a Mexican style tooled leather cowboy holster if I want to look fancy.

Reactions: bigboxes and gill77

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Maybe you posted it before, but what uses are you intending for the rifle/pistol you want to get?

As for building an AR, it's not very hard but there's a few tools you'll want to have, like a punch set, a mallet, snap-ring pliers (if you're not doing a free float handguard), wrench for barrel nut and muzzle device, some grease for putting barrel into upper. I'd actually not recommend building one as your first one but like I said, it's not that hard, and if you do the research and take your time, and have the right tools, then you can do it. I'd just save that for a future rifle build and go factory for the first one.
Pardon my late reply. I had a ton of questions (still do) so I did a little research. I settled on getting a Canik TP9 DA pistol. It gives me the option of a double action or single action first shot as well as double strike capability. I also grabbed a couple extra 20 round mags and a Olight PL-MINI 2 Valkyrie.

TP9DA.jpg

I also waited too long to grab an AR-15 and prices exploded again as stock disappeared. Since PSA now wants $719 for their CHF kits that were $599 two weeks ago I took a look at the Larue Ultimate Upper kits. I put in and order for a 5.56 16" Stealth barrel with a 13" rail for $800. What are your thoughts on Larue and their kits?

It could take months for them to ship. In the meantime I'm hoping for a 4th sale or for prices to drop back down to pre-protest prices again. If they do I may grab something else since $800 is a lot of money to me and I still need to get a lower, ammo, sights, mags, etc.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Pardon my late reply. I had a ton of questions (still do) so I did a little research. I settled on getting a Canik TP9 DA pistol. It gives me the option of a double action or single action first shot as well as double strike capability. I also grabbed a couple extra 20 round mags and a Olight PL-MINI 2 Valkyrie.

TP9DA.jpg

I also waited too long to grab an AR-15 and prices exploded again as stock disappeared. Since PSA now wants $719 for their CHF kits that were $599 two weeks ago I took a look at the Larue Ultimate Upper kits. I put in and order for a 5.56 16" Stealth barrel with a 13" rail for $800. What are your thoughts on Larue and their kits?

It could take months for them to ship. In the meantime I'm hoping for a 4th sale or for prices to drop back down to pre-protest prices again. If they do I may grab something else since $800 is a lot of money to me and I still need to get a lower, ammo, sights, mags, etc.
LaRue is great, that's a great deal too.

Reactions: balloonshark

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
1. Full stocks are more comfortable than the brace, though YMMV.
2. There's always the chance someone will fix the glitch and braces will be outlawed again.
Yep my response as well. Might wanna look up the recent rumblings on the BATFE thinking about going after braces. :-/

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It is difficult, yes. :tearsofjoy: My understanding as far as engraving and when you have to have one (not an expert, not a lawyer):

- if you intend to sell and the lower receiver already has a manufacturer and serial number (in the case of a non 80% lower, so preexisting pistol or rifle, or stripped lower if sticking to AR examples)
- if you build from scratch and you are the manufacturer, so there is no manufacturer/serial number (80% lower, building a suppressor)

And you can have all the parts but you must be able to build a legal configuration.

In my case, I bought a stripped lower (so already has a manufacturer), I got it engraved, not going to sell, but I found conflicting information when I initially did research. No harm in getting it engraved though other than out the cost of engraving and shipping. And maybe it turns out it has to be engraved. :D

If you already have a rifle, it needs to stay a rifle until you get your stamp.

If you don't have anything and want to build an SBR, build it as a pistol, don't buy a stock, do the paperwork.

Or you can do a Form 4 and buy a pre-built SBR. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Yeah I suppose getting it engraved is the safer route to go. Hmmm.

Thanks for the reply!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Hoping to get approved this week. Seems to be 25 to 30 days, someone on reddit reported 24 days.
Oh that ain't too shabby. Man it took a year or slightly longer for my suppressor, filed online to a trust. Bought it through Silencer Shop; man they make it sooooo easy to do. Thinking about getting another one actually.

Reactions: gill77

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

TP9DA.jpg

I think those Canik pieces are supposed to be pretty good, especially for the price. Nice!

As for LaRue, I think their stuff is quite high quality.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Oh that ain't too shabby. Man it took a year or slightly longer for my suppressor, filed online to a trust. Bought it through Silencer Shop; man they make it sooooo easy to do. Thinking about getting another one actually.
Suppressor is the next thing. I just have to wrap my head around the idea of buying something and having to wait around a year to get to use it. :D

One of the local shops has the kiosk, sounds like it's as easy as it can be given that it's the government.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Suppressor is the next thing. I just have to wrap my head around the idea of buying something and having to wait around a year to get to use it. :D

One of the local shops has the kiosk, sounds like it's as easy as it can be given that it's the government.
Yeah it's best to submit it and then try and forget about it haha. Then you'll be surprised when one day you get the notification!

I didn't use the kiosk but I have seen one now at the gun shop I like around me. I guess you don't actually order it thru the kiosk, just do like the paperwork stuff (picture, fingerprints, etc).

I emailed Silencer Shop recently asking about adding one to my trust and that's what the guy said, which I didn't realize.

Reactions: Spoooon