YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 462 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
This sounds like an old wives' tale. I found (only) two videos of people trying to demonstrate "feed issues" with the P14 easily attributed to user error...one was limp-wristing and another was riding the slide when chambering a round. I doubt Para or RIA would still make double-stacked 1911s (new models with no magazine changes) if they had such a perverse failure rate.

RampantAndroid is right. Not only is a single stack 7-8 round 1911 the preferred choice for accuracy and reliability, the best mags for the 1911 are Wilson Combat 7-8 round magazines. If you want a double stack 1911, knock yourself out. But if I'm looking for a high capacity pistol, I'm not looking at a 1911.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I have a Specwar 7.62 and a sparrow. I was considering the harvester 30, but I wanted to be able to quickly move it from my bolt .308 to the ARs, using their flash hider instead.

The Specwar 7.62 is a great suppressor. Definitely one of the top 7.62 cans. The Sparrow is not bad either, but it does have a first round pop. Easy to clean though.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
RampantAndroid is right. Not only is a single stack 7-8 round 1911 the preferred choice for accuracy and reliability, the best mags for the 1911 are Wilson Combat 7-8 round magazines. If you want a double stack 1911, knock yourself out. But if I'm looking for a high capacity pistol, I'm not looking at a 1911.
I've used chip McCormick mags without a single problem. Id say those, wilson, and tripp research get mentioned the most.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

The 10 round single-stack magazines can also be reliable, but I've found they're very gun specific for some reason. One will work flawlessly in one 1911 and jamb every other round in another.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My neighbor says he's got a 1916 Luger to sell me.
Its stiff and doesnt always work, but he'll let me have it dirt cheap. I would have to take it to a gunsmith and I dont know what it costs to fix those things.

Thoughts?

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
My neighbor says he's got a 1916 Luger to sell me.
Its stiff and doesnt always work, but he'll let me have it dirt cheap. I would have to take it to a gunsmith and I dont know what it costs to fix those things.

Thoughts?

I would absolutely get it (well, depending on what "dirt cheap" means). Even if its not shootable its a great piece of history. Honestly I'd probably be hesitant to shoot it even if a gunsmith ok'd it. Early 20th century metallurgy wasn't the greatest, at least by modern standards.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Ugh, so much crap going around about some tweet from the NRA supposedly mocking Gabby Giffords for saying everyone should have to get a background check as it would stop violence.

The tweet in question - “Gabby Giffords: Everyone Should Have to Pass Background Check My Attacker Passed"

Is it really mocking? It's a fact...which we all know the anti-gunners have no use for or make up facts.

Why are anti-gunners so violent? Is it because they are so violent they cant trust themselves with guns so therefore no one else cN be trusted?

So many comments from antis that want gun ownners to kill themselves or hope they die...

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I would absolutely get it (well, depending on what "dirt cheap" means). Even if its not shootable its a great piece of history. Honestly I'd probably be hesitant to shoot it even if a gunsmith ok'd it. Early 20th century metallurgy wasn't the greatest, at least by modern standards.

I'd be curious what dirt cheap is also. Lugers are very expensive.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
So I still have the 1911 bug, but I've kinda swung away from the modernized versions. I am very seriously considering picking up one of these Cimarrons. Cimarron being, much like Uberti, a company known for Italian replica wheelguns, but they also sell this 1911[not A1] that is pretty much the most legit old school GI model that you can get without spending a fortune. The frames and slides are made by Armscor.

ZHAGUUe.jpg

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Welp, looks like I'm gonna just have to buy this gun, because I happened to see it in the polished blue finish and, well, fuck me, I'm in love.

2krsD4T.jpg

Can be had new for about $550. The parked version is more like 450. I'm normally all about function over form, but that gun is just the only chance I'll ever have at owning a classic-looking blued 1911 short of spending ~$2000+ on an actual Colt repro.

Like I said, these are Armscor (who makes RIA) parts. I'm not certain how the parkerized versions are manufactured, but apparently for the blued ones, the parts get shipped to Florida, where some shop there cleans up the parts, blues them, and does the assembly. So, basically, I'd be paying $550 for a $400 RIA that has been refinished (...if RIA made a 1911 model in this style; which they don't).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Welp, looks like I'm gonna just have to buy this gun, because I happened to see it in the polished blue finish and, well, fuck me, I'm in love.

2krsD4T.jpg

Can be had new for about $550. The parked version is more like 450. I'm normally all about function over form, but that gun is just the only chance I'll ever have at owning a classic-looking blued 1911 short of spending ~$2000+ on an actual Colt repro.

Like I said, these are Armscor (who makes RIA) parts. I'm not certain how the parkerized versions are manufactured, but apparently for the blued ones, the parts get shipped to Florida, where some shop there cleans up the parts, blues them, and does the assembly. So, basically, I'd be paying $550 for a $400 RIA that has been refinished (...if RIA made a 1911 model in this style; which they don't).

damn, that looks sweet. only $550 you say? I need me a high polish blued 1911 like that. I have a parked Springfield, a SS springfield, and a SS custom.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I'd be curious what dirt cheap is also. Lugers are very expensive.

Yeah, I looked just now and found a functional 1916 Luger on gunbroker, starting price $1300. I'd hazard a guess that even a non-functional Luger in decent condition is probably worth $800-1000.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
damn, that looks sweet. only $550 you say? I need me a high polish blued 1911 like that. I have a parked Springfield, a SS springfield, and a SS custom.

Yeah, it seems pretty reasonable to me, too. It's actually about $525 on Buds if you get the 'cash price.' I think the parked one is 460, but it has the 'Make an Offer' option. I still like the latter for its unique 1911 [non-A1] features (I think collectors usually just call it a 1918, whereas the 1911A1 is a 1919?)- namely the frame with the smooth mainspring and lack of reliefs behind the trigger. The purists are quick to point out that it still has a lot of incorrect parts for that model, though- the hammer and safety aren't right, and it still has a lowered ejection port (likely because ALL Armscor slides have that). Luckily, though, I'm not a purist, I just like the general 'throwback' look.

It's also worth noting that even parkerizing has become an 'extra' on low-end 1911's...most seem to have either the black oxide finish (which can look pretty decent, at least) or some kind of polycoat a la CZ, which I think looks awful. BTW, the Cimarron also comes in Nickel, which is neat, but not as rare as the legit bluing.

I do find myself falling into the trap of the 'just a little more' temptation, though. I noticed base model Colts are available for 699 now, which would be tempting if they weren't parkerized series 80 models. I dunno why bluing is generally held at such a premium; it's just another variety of chemical dip, which is common in all kinda of fairly inexpensive guns.

On a kinda related note (not really, but I felt like sharing it), I just finished converting my compact Canik (CZ clone) to a FPB-less SAO-

1j6vNtL.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Ugh, so much crap going around about some tweet from the NRA supposedly mocking Gabby Giffords for saying everyone should have to get a background check as it would stop violence.

The tweet in question - “Gabby Giffords: Everyone Should Have to Pass Background Check My Attacker Passed"

Is it really mocking? It's a fact...which we all know the anti-gunners have no use for or make up facts.

Why are anti-gunners so violent? Is it because they are so violent they cant trust themselves with guns so therefore no one else cN be trusted?

So many comments from antis that want gun ownners to kill themselves or hope they die...

It goes with the liberal slant of gun control advocates. On of their most sacred rules is "anyone who's been through a personal tragedy is entirely above judgement, and to judge them is to be an ignorant hateful asshole."

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
It goes with the liberal slant of gun control advocates. On of their most sacred rules is "anyone who's been through a personal tragedy is entirely above judgement, and to judge them is to be an ignorant hateful asshole."

That and desperation tend to make people mean.