x800xt. dosen't exist!.. questionable ethics.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
the problem is a shortage of 1.6ns ram, and ati doesn't wan't to ship cards with overclocked 2.0s ram like a lot of the nvidia card makers are doing with the 6800ultra; the later sounds more like questionable ethics to me.

link?

Bar81

Banned
Mar 25, 2004
Check the nvnews forums. It's very well known that most Ultras are shipping with overclocked 2.0ns GDDR3 which is why you are seeing more of them. 1.6ns GDDR3 remains in short supply. In reference to the original poster, the X800 XT PEs are as available as Ultras with 1.6ns, both being not very.

Selso2109

Jun 20, 2004
I got my X800 XT a little over a month ago for a low low price of $790... hahah i dont care i wanted it and i got it thats all that matters to me. :p

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Selso2109
I got my X800 XT a little over a month ago for a low low price of $790... hahah i dont care i wanted it and i got it thats all that matters to me. :p

Would that I had that kind of cash to blow....effin' ridiculous.

As for the link - Eh, Albatron. Wouldn't touch a card made by them anyway. If it's not Gainward, eVGA, BFG, or Leadtek, I want nothing to do with it. Maybe ASUS or MSI.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
read the whole page, the asus is using 2.0ns ram as well. i have also seen reports of gainward and leadtek ultras with 2.0ns ram. as for evga and bfg i haven't seen anyone with either who has taken their heatsinks off to check, but it wouldn't shock me if some of those wound up being 2.0ns stuff too.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
read the whole page, the asus is using 2.0ns ram as well. i have also seen reports of gainward and leadtek ultras with 2.0ns ram. as for evga and bfg i haven't seen anyone with either who has taken their heatsinks off to check, but it wouldn't shock me if some of those wound up being 2.0ns stuff too.

You seem to be under the misinterpretation that I care about the 2.0ns RAM. I don't. I just don't trust manufacturers outside of Leadteak, Gainward, eVGA, BFG.

The RAM I could care less about. Why? Because the videocards still work. Just fine. It may limit overclocking potential, but I couldn't care less. The point is, you get what you pay for - a card with chips operating at advertised speeds that are covered by warranty.

Besides, this is an issue with the card manufacturers, not the chipmaker. The X800XT and 6800 Ultra's having poor availability is the fault of ATi and Nvidia. If an add-in card shows up with slower RAM, that's because of Albatron, ASUS, Gainward, Leadtek, eVGA, BFG Tech, XFX, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, ATi (if they made the card), ABIT, Powercolor, etc.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
i honestly don't give a crap what you care about, i was posting to expain why the 6800u is more avalable than the x800xt.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

I hope they at least used Vaseline..

Drayvn

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
If uve checked the news on AT, ull see that ATi have been busy sending all their boards to OEMs, which in turn sell em to their companies like the pre built computers. And so that is why there are very few XT-PEs being sold.

Ive never heard any news about shortages of the 1.6ns RAM, that i think is just rumour.

Also, from what i have heard and read in the news, the companies like CDW (i think they are called that) and Gateway, were supposedly selling the XT-PE to low, and to save their own backsides and profits they quickly cancelled all orders for the XT-PE because they wouldnt have gotten much profit or none at all.

There is loads of news for my paragraph above...

P.S. i also want to state that in the UK, where i live, there are quick a number of ppl who have XT-PEs and the pro and gt's are fully in stock, and the 6800 are starting to arrive in bulk, so over in the UK the shortages dont seem to be as bad everywhere else.

If u wanna check this stuff out, check Overclockers in the UK

Also none of the prices are inflated too, if u use a currency calculator, the prices should be just above the MSRP.

sleepeeg3

May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
The chances of this happening are extremely good. I went to CompUSA last Saturday to purchase my 6800GT. The only reason I knew they were there was from an automated phone call with me entering the part number. Said as of the the Wednesday before the actual Saturday I picked up my card, there were 8 6800GT's in stock. When I got to the store, they said they were out of stock. I actually looked the salesperson in the eyes and said, "You have 8 in your back room". He went back there and came out with it. They were there for 3 days and still not on the shelves out in the open. So theres a lot of sneaky sh!t going on with video cards lately.
Ya, that's the employees saving them for themselves! :p I worked at Compscrew and remembered when the first Voodoo2 came out. Saw it in the warehouse and asked if I could buy one. Turns out they officially were not released for sale to the general public until the next day. Hey, but I worked there, I could buy it, there was no reason I should not have.

Keep in mind that's going to be a very limited number of cards not available to the rest of the public and only when the cards are first released. I see it as fair though, as it helps pay for the suffering that one must endure for working in a hellhole like CompScrew or Worst Buy.

However, I'm sure your scenario has more truth to it than people realize.

Ozone1

Jun 26, 2004
Here's what you do. Find ALL the online stores offerring the X800XT and then select the ones that have "Notify when In Stock" and sign up for that. I did that to about 20 stores. Newegg was the first to notify me a few days ago and I picked up a X800XT from powercooler with a gey backback + HL2 voucher + Hitman3 + HL:source for $580 ($617 w/overnight). So yeah, that's more than $400, and more than $500, but at least I've got the card and you don't. (Not trying to sound like an ass, but if you're going to wait on that Gateway deal like I did any longer, you'll be waiting until xmas or longer).

stevennoland

Aug 29, 2003
I don't know about the rest of you , but I'm now waiting for nvidia's SLI . I want to run two cards that I can't find on a MOBO that comes from fantasyland! Ha Ha!

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ronnn
Yes, I just looked at ;NCIX , one of the biggest Canadian sellers. No GT's or ultras in stock. They now claim they can get the Asus 800xt pe in 2 to 5 days, but who knows. A couple of pro's in stock, and a saffire pro vivo in stock (but someone complaining he hasn't received his yet). Lots of vanilla 6800's in stock. These cards when available remain way over priced. In Canada at least - the sales of high end cards must have plummeted with the paper release of all these cards. Canada has never been this far behind in receiving new hardware - to my knowledge. Seems odd that the only way to get an xt pe is to flash a pro vivo. This is major bad news, as I was hoping for a price war and to be able to cash in. :frown:

especially odd seeing as ATi is Canadian

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
What's odd is that NCIX has always had the top line cards in stock. Now here we are several months after both companies made big launches and they only have the pro and the pro vivo and 6800 vanilla in stock. I am confused and annoyed by the marketing strategies of these companies. It is true that NCIX has had small amounts of these other cards, but only for a nice (for them) premium. Generally after a spring launch, one can expect a fall price cut and maybe refresh.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
The X800XT/PE does exist. Saying it doesnt is ignorant. But feel free to carry on!

Blastman

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
Originally posted by: Drayvn

? ull see that ATi have been busy sending all their boards to OEMs, which in turn sell em to their companies like the pre built computers. And so that is why there are very few XT-PEs being sold.
That?s what I?ve read too. OEM?s have ordered so many XT?s that retailers are having a hard time getting them. The big OEM contracts are taking priority.

Drayvn

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Blastman
Originally posted by: Drayvn

? ull see that ATi have been busy sending all their boards to OEMs, which in turn sell em to their companies like the pre built computers. And so that is why there are very few XT-PEs being sold.
That?s what I?ve read too. OEM?s have ordered so many XT?s that retailers are having a hard time getting them. The big OEM contracts are taking priority.

Yup, and to the retailers and DIYers, ull be saddened but ATi have to make money, and the OEM market is a less risky business, as theyve already recieved their money and they ship em, but sending them to retailers means that its up to supply and demand, and so its more risky, u might not seel many to the retail market, but ull sell a helluva lot to OEM guys...

hokahknow

Apr 23, 2001
They are out there and they are coming. I have 3 coming in and ofcourse I am putting them on Ebay and marking them up. Need to help pay for my 6800GT:)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: hokahknow
They are out there and they are coming. I have 3 coming in and ofcourse I am putting them on Ebay and marking them up. Need to help pay for my 6800GT:)

Definition of ho-kah-know: Gutterslime; thin layer of green fungus on the surface of ponds, or pond scum; Ebay markup Glutton; and all around "nice guy".. Will grow a mustache and twirl it as he thinks of ways to screw people.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003

I hope they at least used Vaseline..

LOL. Intensive care is always needed... :D

hokahknow

Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: hokahknow

Definition of ho-kah-know: Gutterslime; thin layer of green fungus on the surface of ponds, or pond scum; Ebay markup Glutton; and all around "nice guy".. Will grow a mustache and twirl it as he thinks of ways to screw people.

Actually it is the definition of smart economics. Suppy and demand. By the way wholesale cost on the X800XT PE are roughly $550 (for low volume purchases). I get them from a distributor in Chicago. So after paying Ebay fees, Paypal fees the real cost is about $590. Then ad a 20% markup you get $700. So you wonder why Gateway cancelled them.

I am sure the Neweggs and ZZF will buy in bulk to get a cheaper cost, but I wouldn't expect too much. They also don't have to pay the crummy ebay and Paypal fees. They are probably getting marked up more all along the pipeline. And in the end the ones that get screwed are the consumers.

I wouldn't pay these prices either. That is why I got a 6800GT:)

I would recommend waiting a few weeks to buy an X800XT PE. They are coming into the distributors, however only in small quantites. A case only holds 4 cards.

Keysplayer I know your just picking on me:)

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
its gateway screwing you, not ati

no, it ati. they've not only screwed their customers, but they've screwed their dists and oem's as well. that places such as gateway and cdw were supposed to receive cards and didn't is the full responsibility of ati.

Drayvn

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: CaiNaM
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
its gateway screwing you, not ati

no, it ati. they've not only screwed their customers, but they've screwed their dists and oem's as well. that places such as gateway and cdw were supposed to receive cards and didn't is the full responsibility of ati.

Yea but those companies u stated were selling the XTs to low in price and so they werent gonna get anything from them when they sold em and so thats why they cancelled it, i thought that was widely known and was reported and thats why the statement from CDW said the XTs were cancelled also which everyone found out was a lie...