SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
I am building a budget CAD/FEA/Gaming machine.
I have a Xeon E5649 (six core 2.5Ghz Base), and a MSI X58 PRO-E (MS-7522 V3.1) motherboard.
The Xeon supports ECC DDR3 1333Mhz , but there is no info about ECC in the manual.
Would ECC ram (PC3-10600R) work,or is the mobo lacking the extra traces?

Any help would be appreciated :)

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I think that if the CPU supports ECC (Xeon) that it will work, as the memory controller is on the CPU package. However, from the MSI website the only Xeon CPU supported is the W3520. No other Xeon CPUs were listed. I'm not sure if additional CPU support was added with BIOS updates as they don't list those changes.

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply :)

There was a BIOS update that added support for Gulftown (aka 56xx Westmere-EP). I just ordered some cheap cheap Registered ECC, unregistered ECC, and consumer DDR3 sticks.

My thinking is that the unregistered should work, but the registered might be a no go. If the registered doesn't post, I'll prob will go with the consumer as the price similar.

It's all about the cash money :(

24GB Registered ECC = 65 Euro
24GB Unregistred ECC = 112 Euro
24GB Consumer =140 Euro

ElectroPulse

Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply :)

There was a BIOS update that added support for Gulftown (aka 56xx Westmere-EP). I just ordered some cheap cheap Registered ECC, unregistered ECC, and consumer DDR3 sticks.

My thinking is that the unregistered should work, but the registered might be a no go. If the registered doesn't post, I'll prob will go with the consumer as the price similar.

It's all about the cash money :(

24GB Registered ECC = 65 Euro
24GB Unregistred ECC = 112 Euro
24GB Consumer =140 Euro

Hey SeanGorry,

What were your results for the registered ECC? I'm looking to do this exact thing with my newly available (just did a new PC build last night) MSI Pro-E x58 and buying a Xeon for cheap online.

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
The ECC ram ended up not working, so I got 24GB of normal Kingston ValueRam 1333Mhz. However when I went to install them, only 16GB showed up ('missing ram' is common enough issue with X58 it seems).

I got all 24GB to be recognized by installing a dimm at a time and booting the computer, so if you get this the same issue try doing the same and it should work.

Also with the X58 Pro-E the north bridge gets a quite hot (mine was sitting at 70c in bios with no oc). I got a small fan and screwed it onto the nb heatsink, definitely recommend putting a small fan on it if you're overclocking.
20ztnpk.jpg

FYI I got my E5649 up to 3.5Ghz with a 4.0Ghz boost on a cheapish air cooler.
2rge0pi.jpg

Hope this helps

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, that north bridge gets quite warm. I still have the original teeny fan that came with my P6T Deluxe v2 mobo.