Woz calls out apple for being arrogant with screen size!

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Phokus, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

I don't really care about the technicalities, either way my basic premise is true: you can't generally take the same phone hardware and stuff it into a smaller space without cutting a corner somewhere. You can blame the battery or the SOC, same difference to me.

2. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

You haven't shown that it's anything to do with the size of the device though.

3. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

I didn't blame the battery. I remember the iPhone (4 I think) being in the media for overheating easily. There's nothing special about the N4 battery. They shut down/go into limp mode in case there's a problem that's causing a battery problem. You don't want a high capacity smartphone battery going pop in your pocket.

Its not the SOC making enough heat to shutdown, chips are happy into the high 90s C, it's the power draw heating the battery.

4. Chiropteran

It's difficult to prove because no manufacturer is foolish enough to actually stuff too much phone into too small of a case.

However, there is plenty of evidence that it is true- available larger devices have more powerful CPU than available smaller devices, everything else being equal. Where is your evidence to the contrary?

Why are you trying to argue in this direction? It's like saying that AMD FX CPU don't use any electricity unless they can draw it through a power supply. Yes, cellphones get power from batteries, and in using that power they produce heat. I don't think anyone in this or any thread is trying to argue that an SOC produces heat when it isn't receiving electricity.

#229 Chiropteran, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

You're the one saying that the SOC is more thermally constrained in a smaller phone. I'm saying that you haven't proved that. Its you that needs to support your claim not me.

What I'm saying is that the phone may be downclocking because the battery is getting too hot not the SOC. And I dont see how that has anything to do with the size of the phone.

6. Chiropteran

Do you need proof of the basic laws of physics? When you have equal heat production in systems of different sizes, the smaller one will heat up faster.

See above. The heat, produced by a battery or an SOC or anything else all exists within the phone. The larger the phone the more that heat can disperse. See ivy bridge based CPU, which generally ran hotter than the previous Intel generation even though it used less power, because the smaller process concentrated the heat into a smaller area.

* Also, the heat produced by the battery is based on the energy it is outputting. Faster processor requires more energy. Thus it's directly related to the phone's processor.

7. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Have you looked inside a phone? They aren't full of large air spaces regardless of the size of the phone. Please could you point out the specific things that are going to stop you putting a faster SOC in a smaller phone.

Or it could just be a bug causing the phone to constantly draw too much energy from the battery.

This disagreement was about putting a fast SOC that exists in a larger phone in a smaller one. I've seen nothing that you have posted that suggests that this is impossible. One phone running on unfinished firmware that has shown a problem at one review site does not support your argument.

8. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

I dunno, I used to side with Apple on this, but everywhere I go I see people with giant Android phones using them without any issues. I don't think most people care that you might have to use 2 hands to operate the phone - the larger screen is easier to read and more fun to use. Even the cheapo/freebie Pantech Droid phones are getting pretty large these days.

Plus, a lot of people have big hands. I'm much more comfortable on a larger screen than a small screen because I have large hands; the iPhone 5 actually gave me hand cramps because of the increased vertical reach with my thumb. I'm back on my 4S and have an easier time using it 1-handed, as well as an easier time slipping it into my pants pocket or shirt pocket, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a 5" iPhone!

9. Chiropteran

You don't need to look inside a phone. I really can't believe you don't understand this, but I'll go ahead and break it down.

You have a phone with 100 units of "stuff" inside it. It's a larger phone, and it works.

Now you have a smaller phone, 20% smaller, but it still has those same 100 units of "stuff" in it. How do you think you fit the same amount of stuff in less space?

It's all packed tighter and closer together. There is no other way to do it, stuff takes up space and you can't just ignore this law of nature to suit your argument, sorry.

Basically, there are two possible scenarios- 1- the larger phone has a little extra space, which helps with handling heating and such, or 2- the larger phone has exactly as much space as it needs, which means it is physically impossible to fit all of it's parts into a smaller phone, no matter how hard you try. Either possibility supports my argument, so I don't really care which one you pick.

10. Super56K

Super56K Golden Member

I spoke with an older brother about current phones last weekend. He made the comment that he might get a Note II when the subsidized price drops. His reasoning was that more and more his phone was his main computer; like the old adage about the best camera being the one you have with you. His main usage aside from texting and web browsing are eBay and Craigslist. He liked the idea of a giant 'phone' with a stylus.

11. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Lol you really need to look inside some phones if you think there's loads of air space inside large phones.

Also as we are talking about the SOC all your mysterious "stuff" is irrelevant unless you think the faster SOC needs more "stuff" as well.

12. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

Your entire reasoning is based on the assumption that because smaller phones tend to have lesser specs than larger phones that they must have lesser specs. This is a poor foundation for an argument. See iPhone 5, Razr i, Razr M for examples of very small phones with very high end specs.

It's been said many times I don't know why it needs to be repeated: Manufacturers make a line of phones, some high end some low end. People associate how good a phone is with how large the screen is. Manufacturers tend to only make their high end phones on the large size for the aforementioned marketing reason. Manufacturers don't fill out a small phone with all of the greatest specs because they do not make flagship small phones. They don't make small flagship phones because large flagship phones sell better. They make small smartphones as cheaply as possible(smaller screen size and lesser specs being a good way to produce a device at lower cost) to be able to still make money off people who do not wish to pay what it costs to buy a flagship phone. This is not rocket science.

13. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

You guys are free believe what you want but just know that for you to be right physics has to be wrong lol.

14. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Feel free to explain your point any time you like.

15. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Already have multiple times now. If you take the internals of "A" and squeeze it into something smaller, "B," the temperature of "B" will be higher than "A" even though they produce the same amount of heat.

16. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Well that highly technical and detailed explanation with its superb examples from modern smartphone design has got me convinced.

/sarcasm

17. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Man, your just really being daft now. Smartphones are not some alien technology they have the same limitations as any other computer device as soon as you can accept this the faster you will understand the explanation. Why are you trying to argue against a scientific theory? Are you an wizard?

18. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Ok explain what more "stuff" is inside the bigger phones and what scientific theories pertain to that.

19. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

But this is all besides the point isn't it? The question isn't will a smaller phone run hotter, but rather will a smaller phone run too hot? I can run an i7 in a full sized ATX tower case or I can run that same system in a micro ATX case. Everything will be a little warmer inside the smaller case but both still run at acceptable temperature levels for the equipment. I have yet to see anyone prove one way or the other that the same SOC in a big and small phone will push the temperature of the small phone over acceptable levels.

#244 ControlD, Nov 8, 2012
  20. Chiropteran

So you stance is that scenario 2 is correct- large phones don't have any extra space, so it would be physically impossible to squeeze them into the smaller case of a small phone. Now you understand why smaller phones don't have the same specs, finally.

Also, the "stuff" isn't irrelevant at all. The "stuff" is everything needed to make the phone a phone. Cellular radio, antennae, battery, external connection interfaces, memory, flash storage, etc. The SOC needs that stuff, yes indeed. And in some cases, faster SOC needs "more", for example if you want to have the same overall battery life and you are switching to a faster but more power-hungry SOC, you need to increase the battery too.

...which brings us to the whole reason this thread was revived. The Nexus 4 was overheating in Anandtech's first round of tests. I think that is indisputable proof that, at least in some situations, modern cellphones can produce heat.

Phones are supposed to work in pretty crazy conditions sometimes, sitting in a car in a sunny day with no AC on for example, so I believe the manufacturers tend to play it safe and leave a large margin of error. So you probably could fit a full-size phone into a smaller case and get it working, but you wouldn't have the same safety margin.

#245 Chiropteran, Nov 8, 2012
  21. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

You're making the assumption that we're at the point where the thermal limitations have been met. A few small but powerful phones existing plus small phones being overclockable to high end phone performance levels while still being completely stable proves that we're not at a point where going from a GS3 size phone to a smaller phone requires the device to be less powerful because of physics.

It blows my mind how people continue to say something is impossible/doesn't exist even when shown it does... This whole conversation shouldn't be happening because small phones as powerful as the GS3 exist and phones more powerful than the GS3 that are the same size as the GS3 also exist. Geez...

#246 dguy6789, Nov 8, 2012
  22. Chiropteran

Yep, like when people claim you can shrink a computer down to an arbitrary size without increasing cost or cutting down specs.

23. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

Basically you would have an iPhone then right? A full sized phone's internals packed into a smaller than average form factor.

24. Chiropteran

As I said in the other thread, I don't think it's any coincidence that Apple switched from a glass back to Aluminum when upgrading to the faster CPU in the iPhone 5. In addition, the iPhone 5 is larger than the iPhone 4. So, to turn things around, if you try to pack the iPhone into it's smaller form (iPhone 4s), you need to reduce the CPU compared to what they put in the iPhone 5.

I'm assuming that isn't what you had in mind, you were probably trying to compare the iPhone 5 to an Android phone such as the Galaxy S3. The problem is you can't do an apples to apples comparison because the OS is different. For example, the iPhone5 actually has a very tiny and weak battery compared to the Galaxy S3, but because iOS is apparently more efficient it still gets reasonable battery life. In addition to that you give up a few features- no SD card slot, non-removable battery, etc.

25. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

That could very well be true in regards to the aluminum back. I was more wondering if that is why my 4S has a habit of overheating and shutting down if I am using GPS on sunny days. Maybe the package is too small for the internals.