Woz calls out apple for being arrogant with screen size!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
This time I think Woz is totally off base. IMO the sweet spot is somewhere between 4" and 4.3". That's the prime market, and Apple has smartly chosen to attack that market first. And they're selling a bazillion of them, because people want them.

If anything, it's the Android makers who are going down the wrong path, only making giant flagship phones, and saddling the 4" phones with 2nd tier specs. I don't know if that is arrogant, but it certainly is irritating. Most people don't want giant geek phones like the Galaxy S III. I had hopes for the Galaxy S III mini, but it has turned out to be a major disappointment.

Last edited:

ew915

Jun 19, 2001
This time I think Woz is totally off base. IMO the sweet spot is somewhere between 4" and 4.3". That's the prime market, and Apple had smartly chosen to at attack that market first.

that doesn't mean they can't have a larger version and it would be really interesting to see which version would sell more

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
This time I think Woz is totally off base. IMO the sweet spot is somewhere between 4" and 4.3". That's the prime market, and Apple has smartly chosen to attack that market first. And they're selling a bazillion of them, because people actually like them.

If anything, it's the Android makers who are going down the wrong path, only making giant flagship phones, and saddling the 4" phones with 2nd tier specs. I don't know if that is arrogant, but it certainly is irritating. Most people don't giant geek phones like the Galaxy S III.

Yes, because the SGS3 doesn't sell like hotcakes. And it's not like android doesn't have the larger domestic and international market share. Oh wait, they do.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
This time I think Woz is totally off base. IMO the sweet spot is somewhere between 4" and 4.3". That's the prime market, and Apple has smartly chosen to attack that market first. And they're selling a bazillion of them, because people want them.

If anything, it's the Android makers who are going down the wrong path, only making giant flagship phones, and saddling the 4" phones with 2nd tier specs. I don't know if that is arrogant, but it certainly is irritating. Most people don't want giant geek phones like the Galaxy S III. I had hopes for the Galaxy S III mini, but it has turned out to be a major disappointment.

... Have you met Galaxy S3 mini?

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini/4505-6452_7-35484855.html

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The iPhone has the biggest sales of any line. Android sells the most overall because they sell a bazillion low end phones.

If anything that argues for Apple to sell cheaper low end phones. However, we all know that Apple dislikes that market.

There's nothing wrong with selling larger phones, and I do believe Apple will eventually do that. However, that should not be the main target.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005

Woz is way off base for suggesting that apple *gasp* have more than 1 phone!?!?!?!? Apple would have sold a bazillion phones even if they had kept the phone at 3.5" and called it 4ss, so your sweet spot theory is stupid. Just because you prefer it doesn't mean it is a sweet spot.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
IMO it is the sweet spot for the general public, even if it might not be for some AnandTech geeks.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I thought specs didn't matter to Apple people. :D
Of course they matter, but only to a point. It's a combination of hardware AND software AND ecosystem.

There's not much point if having say a quad-core CPU if the OS sucks (RIM) and there is no app support (Windows Phone).

mosco

Sep 24, 2002
Yes, because the SGS3 doesn't sell like hotcakes. And it's not like android doesn't have the larger domestic and international market share. Oh wait, they do.

I think the real question is, if they made an actually GS3 mini, that had the same specs, except with a 4 inch screen, which one would sell more?

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
The iPhone has the biggest sales of any line. Android sells the most overall because they sell a bazillion low end phones.

If anything that argues for Apple to sell cheaper low end phones. However, we all know that Apple dislikes that market.

There's nothing wrong with selling larger phones, and I do believe Apple will eventually do that. However, that should not be the main target.

Does not Samsung sell more phones than Apple?

How many more phones would Apple sell if they offered, in addition to the smallish 3.5/4 inch phones, a larger SIII sized phone? I'd bet they'd sell a shit-ton more but they're kind of cornered by the dear leaders rant against them.

There are more phones 4.3 inches and larger being sold then 4 inches and smaller and you think Apple owns the sweet spot -- keep dreaming...

Brian

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I think the real question is, if they made an actually GS3 mini, that had the same specs, except with a 4 inch screen, which one would sell more?
We'll never know, because they gimped the mini on purpose. As someone else said, the mini is a G S III in name only.

There are more phones 4.3 inches and larger being sold then 4 inches and smaller
Huh? That's not true at all.

Like I said, using the argument that Apple should cater more to the masses with more choice, Apple should be making more phones to sell to the masses, which means smaller, lower end, and cheaper phones.

The giant phones are almost akin to the 17" MacBook Pro... which Apple recently discontinued in fact.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I think we've pretty much exhausted the size a phone screen can go. I mean the Nexus 7 and the Note II are less that 2' away from each other lol. The max I would say that Apple can push the screen size is 4.5 inches and after that I think would be overkill. None of the current crop of Android devices appeal to me anymore and it's mostly because of the screen size. I used the One X for 4-5~ months and though the screen is nice to look at there isn't much that I can do with it that I can't do with a 4 inch screen and the extra screen space just becomes a dead weight.

It seems like all the current and future Android phones will continue to grow in size and I can't really see myself using a phone that big.

Next thing you know we will have 7 inch tablephones LOL.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
We'll never know, because they gimped the mini on purpose. As someone else said, the mini is a G S III in name only.

Huh? That's not true at all.

Like I said, using the argument that Apple should cater more to the masses with more choice, Apple should be making more phones to sell to the masses, which means smaller, lower end, and cheaper phones.

The giant phones are almost akin to the 17" MacBook Pro... which Apple recently discontinued in fact.

Samsung sold more than 10M of the first generation 5"+ phones (Samsung Galaxy Note) in less than a year! They are now prepping the release of the Note2 with a 5.5 inch screen and every indication is it will sell better than the first version as it will be available on all of the carriers in the US whereas the first one was not.

And I stand by my statement that there are more 4.3" and larger smart phones being sold than 4" and smaller...

Brian

mosco

Sep 24, 2002
Samsung sold more than 10M of the first generation 5"+ phones (Samsung Galaxy Note) in less than a year! They are now prepping the release of the Note2 with a 5.5 inch screen and every indication is it will sell better than the first version as it will be available on all of the carriers in the US whereas the first one was not.

And I stand by my statement that there are more 4.3" and larger smart phones being sold than 4" and smaller...

Brian

I think basically what Eug is saying is we don't actually know how strong the demand is for phones that have a 4.3+ inch screen because they don't make flagship phones with less than a 4.3 inch screen. Does the Galaxy well do so well because of its huge screen, or because its a flagship phone that is heavily marketed by carriers and samsung?

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I actually really like the 4" size. The only thing is that I would reduce the bezel further.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't understand why people assume screen size directly relates to device size. The 3.5" iPhone 4S is only slightly smaller than the 4.3" Razr M yet some people would consider the M to large just due to it's screen size. Likewise the 4.8" Galaxy S3 is only slightly larger than the 4.3" Galaxy S2 yet some people act like there is a night and day difference between the two.

It's also worth pointing out that the bestselling Android phone is the 4.8" Galaxy S3 so obviously the statement that people don't want phones like that is wrong.

It's also foolish to assume people are buying the iPhone because it has a smaller screen, they are buying it because that's the only size it comes in.

IMO 4" 16:10 is to small for me to type on the keyboard of a phone in portrait mode without having to be extra careful, I would need to file down the tips of my fingers to comfortably type on a 4" 16:9 screen.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I think basically what Eug is saying is we don't actually know how strong the demand is for phones that have a 4.3+ inch screen because they don't make flagship phones with less than a 4.3 inch screen. Does the Galaxy well do so well because of its huge screen, or because its a flagship phone that is heavily marketed by carriers and samsung?

Turn that around an you get what I was saying before about Apple selling a shit-ton more phone if they offered a larger phone -- they don't!

Brian

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't understand why people assume screen size directly relates to device size. The 3.5" iPhone 4S is only slightly smaller than the 4.3" Razr M yet some people would consider the M to large just due to it's screen size. Likewise the 4.8" Galaxy S3 is only slightly larger than the 4.3" Galaxy S2 yet some people act like there is a night and day difference between the two.

It's also worth pointing out that the bestselling Android phone is the 4.8" Galaxy S3 so obviously the statement that people don't want phones like that is wrong.

It's also foolish to assume people are buying the iPhone because it has a smaller screen, they are buying it because that's the only size it comes in.

IMO 4" 16:10 is to small for me to type on the keyboard of a phone in portrait mode without having to be extra careful, I would need to file down the tips of my fingers to comfortably type on a 4" 16:9 screen.

This.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

You are crazy. There is no 'prime market'. Whatever size Apple produced *will* be the sweet spot and *will* be selling a bazillion.

Everybody knows this.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that 4.3" is the right size for a phone screen. Past that point, they start getting bulky and awkward to use.

That said, the Galaxy SIII is an awesome phone.

Feb 19, 2001

Slightly larger is enough to make the device bulky. Your fingers are measured by centimeters, not feet. Add a few mm here and there and you can see why people are complaining about size. People have been making this claim forever. Oh a 4" phone is only slightly larger than a 3.7" phone. They kept doing this for 4.3" then 4.65" then 4.8" Fact is it's clearly a pretty recognizable size difference just LOOKING at the phone itself. It translates to a pretty hefty difference for your hands unless you have XL size hands. And sorry, as someone who has medium-large sized hands, I can certainly tell it's more difficult to manipulate a 4.8" device.

Your comment about the sales of the SGS3 is just as flawed as the iPhone statement. People don't buy iPhones for the small screen size? Well people don't buy SGS3s for the monstrous screen. I see plenty of girls using it and it's hilarious they need 2 hands to use. I see them dropping it too because it isn't something you'll carry 1 handed. They have it because there's no choice of a smaller SGS3... not without compromising the quality of the device significantly at least. Furthermore, you see plenty of people holding up phones at concerts, or when doing something fun. I held my camera out as I sat in the back of a scooter on some island in Asia. It takes 1 hand to manipulate the phone and it's clear with a 4.8" phone that's difficult and while it's an ergonomic phone, to manipulate it with 1 hand is difficult. It's much easier with my Nexus S.

Last edited: