wowowow Surface Pro review

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know what's worse, Microsoft for saying that crap, or the people that actually believed it.

Which is stupid, because you can't not have compromise. Want more battery life? Going to have to compromise on size and weight to add a bigger battery or compromise on power by using a less power-hungry chip. Want to have a low cost? Going to have to compromise on storage or build quality.

As a marketing slogan it's not bad, but you can't take it at face value as it's something that simply isn't true. Life is about compromises. You can't have everything that you want at once, and as soon as you can, you'll just want something more that you can't have quite yet.

pyjujiop

Mar 17, 2001
I can definitely see myself with a second-gen version of this in a year or so. Or maybe even one of the first-gen models if the price comes way down after the first refresh of the product. Wouldn't pay a dime for one of those ARM-powered versions with a stripped down Windows 8, but will for a version with a full-power x86-64 and real Windows.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Interesting the MS design team had an AMA today. Some quick tidbits:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...h_the_surface_windows_8_pro/c8afvjj?context=3

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/18063g/i_am_panos_panay_with_the_surface_windows_8_pro/c8aezas

Possible extended battery option? Full docking accessory?

I hope WMC will extend some details for more Surface Pro accessories.

Direct AMA link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/18063g/i_am_panos_panay_with_the_surface_windows_8_pro/

They have made some awesome things possible, they have clearly stated as much: now the question remains, WILL said awesome things actually happen? Will Microsoft be the one who produces them, or will we have to wait until third-party accessory manufacturers think it's a worthy investment to produce?

Sometimes they give everything necessary for others to take the idea and run with it - and nobody does the running; which in such an event, the entire product tends to flop.

I do like the standard accessories approach. It looks like any item made for the "accessory spine" will be physically compatible with both models of the Surface - but, perhaps, most extra features will only function on the Surface Pro, which seems to have additional contacts embedded in the little peg-holes to the left and right of the pogo-style connection.

But some may only function ONLY with the Pro model, if it relies on the physical dimensions of the Pro around that spine.

I just hope this pans out well - strong accessory support will ensure that this product at least performs decently on the market, but more importantly should help ensure that: A) Microsoft will create follow-ups; B) the entire design concept will catch on, and this market category will flourish.

edit:

Oh, and then there's the fact that Microsoft has confirmed ability of disabling Secure Boot (they state you can access BIOS and do so), which then completely enables the ability to dual-boot or otherwise install a different OS.

As someone replied: Linux on a high-end tablet!
Seriously, a touch-friendly Ubuntu on a proper x86 tablet? Drool.

Granted, this should be equally possible on all x86 tablets/convertibles.

edit2:

Also confirmed, the SSD is not accessible for upgrade. That said, that's just officially-sanctioned user-upgrade ability. I'm sure with a little tinkering, breaking warranty tape or whatever, it should be super easy once inside.
Then again, they could have done something strange to the SSD, so even then without soldering skills or absolutely fearing a bricked device with trembling hands, it may not be possible. Anything is possible with Microsoft. :\

That said: by including SDXC, and by MS stating unlimited expansion ability, and it was followed up with stating the format can technically handle 2TB, can they technically support whatever size the manufacturers can throw into a MicroSD card?
And is there a physical limit of throughput? As in, even if manufacturers make SDXC cards in three years that are 10x faster than today, can the Surface still support those speeds?
Regardless, large and reasonably fast storage is easily available using the USB3 drive, but it would simply mean carrying something a little more bulky than, say, a handful of MicroSD cards.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Think the Surface Pro will be compatible with UHS-2 speeds when such cards are released?
Can the card reader even properly handle UHS-1 speeds?

Sep 7, 2009
Well..... I live in a major city with 5+ best buys and 5 staples, no store got more than 1 128gb device.

The Microsoft store said they only 10 for launch day.

Looks like Microsoft has completely figured out the apple supple demand tactics.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Same here in the Twin cities area. Every Best Buy is completely out. I talked with a sales person at one of their stores and they said they only had 1 of each ( 64/128) and they sold within 10 minutes of opening the doors. That is just pain crazy.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I drove an hour to a Best Buy and Staples. The Best Buy had 1x128gb model and it was sold before they opened. They still had a 64gb model in stock. Staples had none. I called and searched other Best Buys and Staples in a 300 mile radius, and found the 128gb model only in stock in 2 Houston area Best Buys. They'd be sold by the time I could get there though.

Best Buy, Staples and Microsoft websites are all showing sold out. Ebay prices are outrageous. FML.

master7045

Jul 15, 2005
I'm starting to think that one of these would be the perfect front end as an HTPC. Full windows install. I'm thinking Plex or XBMC, it has an i5 (mobile) processor to do any transcoding if necessary, HDMI out, touchscreen and a built in kickstand. It has checks in all the right boxes. Am I way off base?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I drove an hour to a Best Buy and Staples. The Best Buy had 1x128gb model and it was sold before they opened. They still had a 64gb model in stock. Staples had none. I called and searched other Best Buys and Staples in a 300 mile radius, and found the 128gb model only in stock in 2 Houston area Best Buys. They'd be sold by the time I could get there though.

Best Buy, Staples and Microsoft websites are all showing sold out. Ebay prices are outrageous. FML.

Do you remember which Houston Best Buy stores had them? *lives in Houston*

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I'm starting to think that one of these would be the perfect front end as an HTPC. Full windows install. I'm thinking Plex or XBMC, it has an i5 (mobile) processor to do any transcoding if necessary, HDMI out, touchscreen and a built in kickstand. It has checks in all the right boxes. Am I way off base?

Assuming you would pretty much always keep it around the house, it would probably be pretty great. Like every review has already said, the only downside to the Surface Pro is battery life and weight.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
we saw the surface pro today and loved it! too bad i have too many laptops at home already. we really wanted 7 inch tablets for true portability though.

is MS making a 7inch tablet any time soon? anyone remember the overpriced 7inch OQO tablet with full windows?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh I wanted to buy one today. I did not believe demand would be this high. That, and demand will of course look high when every store had one or two at most.

Now...how long until best buy receives more.

Sep 7, 2009
I ended up finding one.

So far, it's a fairly amazing device. The first thing I noticed is that it isn't that bad to hold the device and use it with one hand. A number of reviews talked about how it was too heavy and thick, but I don't find that to be the case and that was a primary concern.

One thing I don't like is that the onscreen keyboard doesn't always pop up, and the type cover is too flimsy to use unless it's on a hard surface.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Ugh I wanted to buy one today. I did not believe demand would be this high. That, and demand will of course look high when every store had one or two at most.

Now...how long until best buy receives more.

Same here....I can understand the demand but the lack of stock for the demand is absurd. Seriously, 1 of each on the 1st day... They put more damn blu ray out on new movie release on Tuesdays!

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
I went to a futureshop nearby and all of the 128GB's were out. Seems like nobody wants the 64GB version. I think they had about 40 of each model.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
im not sure why nobody is buying the 64gb. the tablet can take full size usb flash drive or microSD...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This is a full on computer. You don't buy flash drives to increase your desktops storage do you?

Granted, the fastest USB 3 flash drives are finally reaching read/write speeds that move beyond magnetic platter speeds and approach SSDs - but the price/performance ratio is also rivaling SSDs. 64GB 200MB/s thumbdrive is somewhere around $100 iirc.

Which, in the end isn't terrible at all and I am very much interested in that - but I will not rely on that for regular storage on a tablet, or for anything. Regular, daily storage must be internal. External is for occasional use. Carrying about a tablet with a large thumbdrive attached doesn't sound like a great solution. :\