wowowow Surface Pro review

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Ns1, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

2. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

That wasn't a review but a first look.

3. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

whatever, close enough for me.

4. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

I would actually be in the market of dropping $800 because I'm not looking for a tablet. I'm looking for a notebook with a tablet option. :)

However, as much as I like the Surface Pro, I really have to hold myself back and stay with my "avoid 1st Gen anything" rule. It's getting really hard to keep though. :(

5. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

We got a Dell Latitude 10 in for testing a week ago. It's thoroughly underwhelming.

6. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

That runs an Atom, it's not in the same category as the Surface Pro.

7. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

Even more important for this device since the 2nd generation is expected to have haswell; and so fairly improved power consumption, as well as improved gpu.

I really want one as well, but I just splurged on a couple nexus 4's for me and my wife, so I can wait for a good while...

8. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

It wasn't the hardware. It's the software. Windows 8 is too "in between" right now.

9. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

Yeah i can imagine even with 2 hands using it for any length of time, even just reading a book on it would likely get very uncomfortable pretty quickly.

noise...gotta love noise on a tablet. Author sounds biased anyway and I laugh and spit on this device.

10. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Platinum Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat. It's the fact Haswell is upcoming that is holding me back.

Although this obviously isn't going to be in the same class as an iPad.

11. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Administrator<br>Elite Member<br>Lifer
    Administrator

12. Mr. Pedantic

Mr. Pedantic Diamond Member

TheVerge reviews aren't really that much more detailed than this.

13. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

These things need at least one more generation before I jump in.

14. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

Do want

But I would like to be in a house within the next few months so not happening

15. Crono

Crono Lifer

This is what I've been waiting for. Happy to see that the pen/digitizer is decent; I'm not an artist, but I need to diagram stuff for a book I'm working on, and simply drawing is a lot more time efficient than doing tables or scanning drawn pictures later.

I could tell from the Surface RT after using it for past 2 months that the physical build quality is good. Better than iPad good. Possibly the best chassis of any device I've ever used. Except for the Touch Cover - going to make sure I get the Type Cover this time. Size for the Pro doesn't look that much bigger, which is a relief.

Glad to see also that they did heat dissipation right. No one wants to hear a loud fan on a tablet, even a powerful one.

<- Biggest Windows 8/Surface/Metro (Modern) fan on the planet

#15 Crono, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. foghorn67

foghorn67 Lifer

Waiting for Haswell, but it looks like even raised a few eyebrows on some naysayers.
    I'm impressed.

17. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

Ah, I felt the same way when I first started using Windows 8. Give it some time. I'm loving Windows 8 after using it a few months now.

18. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

I love my Surface RT. I don't need the Pro &#8212;*I can just RDP into my windows desktop if I need to run an x86 app. The gestures are amazing. They're so intuitive, I find myself touching my iMac and my iPhone thinking they work the same. And then I'm frustrated and annoyed that they don't. The Metro interface is perfect for a tablet. It just feels right, works perfectly and gives me everything I want at a glance and makes using my apps and getting work done so easy. I honestly haven't turned my Macbook on in more than two weeks because everything I used it for can be done on the Surface.

I'd love to see more apps in the App store, but I know that they'll get there at some point. The fact that Windows 8 apps will work on all W8 machines is great.

19. Qbah

Qbah Diamond Member

A fan... on a tablet... D:

I will never spend money on such a device, ever.

20. Eug

Eug Lifer

How bad is the keyboard (feel, key spacing)?

21. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

I am absolutely loving all these different concept combination laptops/tablet hybrids. Companies are really flexing some imaginative designs around and its all to play for.

But there is no way I am using a blue keyboard...in a coffee shop I think the Apple users would be laughing their asses off and rightly so. Just because I could pick the tablet up and carry over to show how cool that was I think they would recommend I leave the keyboard at home cause its ugly.

22. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Still too much money, especially for a 1st Gen device. I hate Win 8 on a desktop, but I can see it on a tablet being much much better.

Glad you care what Apple users think of you. They laugh at you, others laugh at them so it's all pretty even.

23. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

Looks neato. I'd been slowly fostering a desire for a Lenovo Carbon but would at least give this consideration. Coming from someone who was looking for a high end 'ultrabook' type device, $800 is actually a relative deal. Though it really depends which side of the fence you're looking at it from.

For my use I still think I'd prefer a traditional laptop form factor, but who knows.

24. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

You can get black. Or use any keyboard you want. I'm tempted to bring my Model M clicky keyboard to Starbucks and use it with my surface RT with the USB port. Because I care what Apple users think.

25. Eug

Eug Lifer

Nah, with that type of attitude I think both Windows users and Apple users will laugh at him, assuming he's not just trolling of course.