wowowow Surface Pro review

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I'm excited but still can't imaging dropping more than 800 bucks on this thing.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3857076/microsoft-surface-pro-in-depth-impressions

I would actually be in the market of dropping $800 because I'm not looking for a tablet. I'm looking for a notebook with a tablet option. :)

However, as much as I like the Surface Pro, I really have to hold myself back and stay with my "avoid 1st Gen anything" rule. It's getting really hard to keep though. :(

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
We got a Dell Latitude 10 in for testing a week ago. It's thoroughly underwhelming.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I really have to hold myself back and stay with my "avoid 1st Gen anything" rule. It's getting really hard to keep though.

Even more important for this device since the 2nd generation is expected to have haswell; and so fairly improved power consumption, as well as improved gpu.

I really want one as well, but I just splurged on a couple nexus 4's for me and my wife, so I can wait for a good while...

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
. I tried holding it with one hand and it wasn't particularly comfortable

Yeah i can imagine even with 2 hands using it for any length of time, even just reading a book on it would likely get very uncomfortable pretty quickly.

There's a small whistle of air that you'll hear
noise...gotta love noise on a tablet. Author sounds biased anyway and I laugh and spit on this device.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
I would actually be in the market of dropping $800 because I'm not looking for a tablet. I'm looking for a notebook with a tablet option. :)

However, as much as I like the Surface Pro, I really have to hold myself back and stay with my "avoid 1st Gen anything" rule. It's getting really hard to keep though. :(

I'm pretty much in the same boat. It's the fact Haswell is upcoming that is holding me back.

noise...gotta love noise on a tablet. Author sounds biased anyway and I laugh and spit on this device.
There's a small whistle of air that you'll hear if you place it by your ear

Although this obviously isn't going to be in the same class as an iPad.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Do want

But I would like to be in a house within the next few months so not happening

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
This is what I've been waiting for. Happy to see that the pen/digitizer is decent; I'm not an artist, but I need to diagram stuff for a book I'm working on, and simply drawing is a lot more time efficient than doing tables or scanning drawn pictures later.

I could tell from the Surface RT after using it for past 2 months that the physical build quality is good. Better than iPad good. Possibly the best chassis of any device I've ever used. Except for the Touch Cover - going to make sure I get the Type Cover this time. Size for the Pro doesn't look that much bigger, which is a relief.

Glad to see also that they did heat dissipation right. No one wants to hear a loud fan on a tablet, even a powerful one.

<- Biggest Windows 8/Surface/Metro (Modern) fan on the planet

Last edited:

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Waiting for Haswell, but it looks like even raised a few eyebrows on some naysayers.
I'm impressed.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
It wasn't the hardware. It's the software. Windows 8 is too "in between" right now.

Ah, I felt the same way when I first started using Windows 8. Give it some time. I'm loving Windows 8 after using it a few months now.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I love my Surface RT. I don't need the Pro &#8212;*I can just RDP into my windows desktop if I need to run an x86 app. The gestures are amazing. They're so intuitive, I find myself touching my iMac and my iPhone thinking they work the same. And then I'm frustrated and annoyed that they don't. The Metro interface is perfect for a tablet. It just feels right, works perfectly and gives me everything I want at a glance and makes using my apps and getting work done so easy. I honestly haven't turned my Macbook on in more than two weeks because everything I used it for can be done on the Surface.

I'd love to see more apps in the App store, but I know that they'll get there at some point. The fact that Windows 8 apps will work on all W8 machines is great.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
A fan... on a tablet... D:

I will never spend money on such a device, ever.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I am absolutely loving all these different concept combination laptops/tablet hybrids. Companies are really flexing some imaginative designs around and its all to play for.

But there is no way I am using a blue keyboard...in a coffee shop I think the Apple users would be laughing their asses off and rightly so. Just because I could pick the tablet up and carry over to show how cool that was I think they would recommend I leave the keyboard at home cause its ugly.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Still too much money, especially for a 1st Gen device. I hate Win 8 on a desktop, but I can see it on a tablet being much much better.

But there is no way I am using a blue keyboard...in a coffee shop I think the Apple users would be laughing their asses off and rightly so. Just because I could pick the tablet up and carry over to show how cool that was I think they would recommend I leave the keyboard at home cause its ugly.

Glad you care what Apple users think of you. They laugh at you, others laugh at them so it's all pretty even.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Looks neato. I'd been slowly fostering a desire for a Lenovo Carbon but would at least give this consideration. Coming from someone who was looking for a high end 'ultrabook' type device, $800 is actually a relative deal. Though it really depends which side of the fence you're looking at it from.

For my use I still think I'd prefer a traditional laptop form factor, but who knows.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I am absolutely loving all these different concept combination laptops/tablet hybrids. Companies are really flexing some imaginative designs around and its all to play for.

You can get black. Or use any keyboard you want. I'm tempted to bring my Model M clicky keyboard to Starbucks and use it with my surface RT with the USB port. Because I care what Apple users think.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Glad you care what Apple users think of you. They laugh at you, others laugh at them so it's all pretty even.
Nah, with that type of attitude I think both Windows users and Apple users will laugh at him, assuming he's not just trolling of course.