wowowow Surface Pro review

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I think I'm sold. I'd pre-order one now if I could. I need the i5 and full version of Windows 8 Pro for facebook and my email.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I think I'm sold. I'd pre-order one now if I could. I need the i5 and full version of Windows 8 Pro for facebook and my email.

Hey, not all of us are officers and we need to be able to do some real work. :biggrin:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It looks like maybe waiting to see how the Surface fairs against the Helix is a good thing to do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6580/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-demo

I wonder what kind of digitizer is on that.

That WAS the machine I was waiting for, but not sure if I want to wait, plus it'll cost more (though, arguably, it MIGHT be worth it).

Sadly, Lenovo recently announced it will be delayed until March or April, no longer the "sometime in late February" they had stated before.

I was prepared to strongly fight my urges to buy the Surface Pro, but... I don't know if I'll be able to resist.

There have been a few like the Helix already, but they are either missing the pen digitizer, or have other issues. I was hoping more with all the bells and whistles would already be out.. it seems most manufacturers are waiting to truly push this concept later in the year instead of doing so now.

I'm just slightly worried about having to adapt from my current 14" laptop working just about anywhere I want/need to use it, to using the 10.5" Surface Pro with limited positioning.
But when it comes to using it for a whole heck of a lot, it'd be more about ability than regular use - my current laptop is hardly used, for instance. But a beast of an x86 tablet, with moderate laptop-like functionality, does seem like enough, considering I do have a full proper "work" laptop.
It suffers in battery life compared to other tablets, but is right at home with ultrabooks and would be fine enough for me. My little Nexus 7 could satisfy desires for additional entertainment if I'm away from outlets.

Question: Surface Pro - can you open it up and replace the SSD?
Wouldn't be a bad idea to grab the 64GB model, save $100 at that point and instead of that $100 getting 64GB additional storage, rather spending $200 or so and getting a 180 or 256GB drive. Much more cost effective, but as the RAM is apparently soldered into the motherboard (no upgrades? :(), I'm worried the thing isn't even capable of being opened without voiding your warranty. And the SSD could be soldered or otherwise permanently installed anyhow.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I wish companies would hurry up and release Displayport 1.2 mst hubs, one of those would allow Surface Pro to drive 2-3 external monitors which would be awesome for business use.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Speaking of the Lenovo Helix, I do wonder:

is it possible for Microsoft to manufacture a similar keyboard? One that's obviously not geared towards the "smart cover" approach but rather in the "dock" approach, strong hinge and all.
On the face of it, I can't see anything that would say Microsoft can't do that. The only thing is whether that keyboard connection interface can also transfer any additional power and/or data. Even if it's just a dumb keyboard/trackpad combo, but sturdier, thicker, and overall like the Helix's keyboard (minus extra battery), I'd definitely buy it if I owned the Surface Pro at that point in time.

Microsoft has continued to say there will be more accessories using that keyboard connector, both first and third party, so I'm curious what else they have in mind.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
This is the same level of CPU performance you can get in most Ultrabooks, and the exact same hardware that’s used in Apple’s 11-inch MacBook Air by default.

The 64GB model retails for $899, while the 128GB model is $999.

Tracking and responsiveness were both excellent in using the pen. I’m not much of an artist but I did have a good experience sketching with Surface Pro’s pen. Creative professionals who are already Wacom users will probably appreciate the inclusion. Surface Pro doesn’t really offer the same drawing surface area as some of the larger Wacom tablets, but I can see how it’d be a nice addition for those who don’t want to carry around a separate drawing tablet.

You can configure Surface Pro to work in second screen mode, allowing you to use the entire display as a pen surface while using the integrated miniDP out to drive your display to an external monitor. In this mode Surface Pro approximates a Wacom digital tablet, although without the software customization that you get with those tablets. The biggest issue I had in second screen mode is the lack of a toggle to switch between pen and mouse positioning, Surface Pro operates exclusively in the former.

Since the introduction of the 3rd generation iPad with Retina Display several folks have pointed out to me that UI frame rate isn’t always so smooth on the device. I personally never noticed because I found that most of the competition was even worse, so it always seemed relatively smooth to me. After playing with Surface Pro however and going back to even the 4th gen iPad all of the sudden frame rate stutters are much more noticeable. Playing around with Bing maps on Surface Pro vs. RT is like night and day. Even if you compare scrolling and zoom performance to native iOS maps on the iPad 4, Surface Pro wins out.

jizz. do want. now.

Last edited:

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
That WAS the machine I was waiting for, but not sure if I want to wait, plus it'll cost more (though, arguably, it MIGHT be worth it).

Sadly, Lenovo recently announced it will be delayed until March or April, no longer the "sometime in late February" they had stated before.

I was prepared to strongly fight my urges to buy the Surface Pro, but... I don't know if I'll be able to resist.

There have been a few like the Helix already, but they are either missing the pen digitizer, or have other issues. I was hoping more with all the bells and whistles would already be out.. it seems most manufacturers are waiting to truly push this concept later in the year instead of doing so now.

I'm just slightly worried about having to adapt from my current 14" laptop working just about anywhere I want/need to use it, to using the 10.5" Surface Pro with limited positioning.
But when it comes to using it for a whole heck of a lot, it'd be more about ability than regular use - my current laptop is hardly used, for instance. But a beast of an x86 tablet, with moderate laptop-like functionality, does seem like enough, considering I do have a full proper "work" laptop.
It suffers in battery life compared to other tablets, but is right at home with ultrabooks and would be fine enough for me. My little Nexus 7 could satisfy desires for additional entertainment if I'm away from outlets.

Question: Surface Pro - can you open it up and replace the SSD?
Wouldn't be a bad idea to grab the 64GB model, save $100 at that point and instead of that $100 getting 64GB additional storage, rather spending $200 or so and getting a 180 or 256GB drive. Much more cost effective, but as the RAM is apparently soldered into the motherboard (no upgrades? :(), I'm worried the thing isn't even capable of being opened without voiding your warranty. And the SSD could be soldered or otherwise permanently installed anyhow.

Ouch, I didn't realize that it was delayed.

As for the expand-ability options, I doubt it will be easy. Surface RT from the iFixit site looks to be finicky and definitely voids the warranty. Surface Pro should have been 128 base model, then options to go 256 and up.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Ouch, I didn't realize that it was delayed.

As for the expand-ability options, I doubt it will be easy. Surface RT from the iFixit site looks to be finicky and definitely voids the warranty. Surface Pro should have been 128 base model, then options to go 256 and up.

At this point, I think I'm sold on the Pro 128GB with Type Cover ($1130+tax).

Just trying to figure out if I have much to gain by choosing a different product entirely for around the same price.

I should really like this thing, I'm just hoping the resale value is pretty good in the event I find better stuff later this year, or in the event I hate it and/or the Helix is just too awesome.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
How tight is your time line? I'm thinking, that if you can, wait a month to see any other reports of device failures and better long term reviews.

InfiniteLurker

Mar 3, 2004
I'm most likely going to pick one up on Saturday. The only thing that is giving me pause is the 4GB of RAM, really wish there was an 8GB option.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Really...?

I remember when people doubted me for putting an i7 in my desktop, but I knew that at times I would have up to 20 Google Chrome tabs open and I'd need the extra power. Here we are over a year later and my desktop has handled Google Chrome without issues.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I remember when people doubted me for putting an i7 in my desktop, but I knew that at times I would have up to 20 Google Chrome tabs open and I'd need the extra power. Here we are over a year later and my desktop has handled Google Chrome without issues.

I think I read about some dude upgrading (adding) memory to 24 GB for Chrome in memory forum. I literally s*** myself because I was reading it on a 256 MB iPad in the bathroom.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I wish companies would hurry up and release Displayport 1.2 mst hubs, one of those would allow Surface Pro to drive 2-3 external monitors which would be awesome for business use.

So much this. I would ask work to toss my current laptop and get me one of these if it could drive some decent monitor real estate.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
At this point, I think I'm sold on the Pro 128GB with Type Cover ($1130+tax).

Just trying to figure out if I have much to gain by choosing a different product entirely for around the same price.

I should really like this thing, I'm just hoping the resale value is pretty good in the event I find better stuff later this year, or in the event I hate it and/or the Helix is just too awesome.

Interesting the MS design team had an AMA today. Some quick tidbits:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...h_the_surface_windows_8_pro/c8afvjj?context=3

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/18063g/i_am_panos_panay_with_the_surface_windows_8_pro/c8aezas

Possible extended battery option? Full docking accessory?

I hope WMC will extend some details for more Surface Pro accessories.

Direct AMA link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/18063g/i_am_panos_panay_with_the_surface_windows_8_pro/