WoW Open Beta

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
Fix that crap or you will rue the day!

Here is a mirror of the WoW Stress Test Downloader.

The client itself is about 2.5GB, and requires an existing Closed Beta account OR a Stress Test key from Fileplanet.

If this link is inappropriate, please PM me and i'll remove it immediately.

http://s91037920.onlinehome.us/wow-openbeta.exe

would you happen to have a mirror of the client :D

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: mchammer187
did you d/l from FP or the blizztorrent?

Blizztorrent. I started my download the moment it was released... :(

:(

waited 4 hours for them to send me a damn key so i can begin the downloads

before i go to sleep

driving me insane i just want to sleep but if i'm not able to play this game when i get home from work tomorrow i'm going to be pissed

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001

For a huge DL like this I usually start a download from more than one place, then keep whichever file happens to complete first. The only reason to cancel/pause a download is if you're approaching the downstream limit of your pipe...

Ah well - sucks you're not in the SoCal area, we might be able to work something out.. ;)

Chompman

Banned
Mar 14, 2003
did you d/l from FP or the blizztorrent?

Blizztorrent. I started my download the moment it was released... :(

:(

before i go to sleep

driving me insane i just want to sleep but if i'm not able to play this game when i get home from work tomorrow i'm going to be pissed

Insane in the membrane? :D

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
I finally got my key/download shortly after midnight. Download was 10 minutes heh, about 35Mbps (it might've slowed i dunno).

Installing now... I'll watch the cinematic, make my char, then go to sleep.

Chompman

Banned
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
I finally got my key/download shortly after midnight. Download was 10 minutes heh, about 35Mbps (it might've slowed i dunno).

Don't jynx yourself :D

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

do you mind sending me the client mr. 35 Mbps connection? :)

i need some sleep and if FP doesn't mail me my key soon so I can d/l this crap i think i'm going on a killing spree haha

Chompman

Banned
Mar 14, 2003

do you mind sending me the client mr. 35 Mbps connection? :)

i need some sleep and if FP doesn't mail me my key soon so I can d/l this crap i think i'm going on a killing spree haha

I call mchammer187's key after he is shot down by the cops when it comes 5 minutes after he starts his killing spree :D

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I have my account created I just need the damn client : ( 1 hour 20 minutes on the torrent going at like 80K. 300 megs off file planet going at 800K who will win?! DA DA DAH!

mattg1981

Jun 19, 2003
wait wait wait ....
so I have been downloading this stupid client all night long (currently at 25%) ... but because I am not a member at FP I cannot play this? Will I be able to later? Please fill me in

... kinda sucks for me as I havnt been able to play CS:S at all because d/l speed is just fast enough to make online gaming suck and just slow enough to drive me insane

Chompman

Banned
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: mattg1981
wait wait wait ....
so I have been downloading this stupid client all night long (currently at 25%) ... but because I am not a member at FP I cannot play this? Will I be able to later? Please fill me in

... kinda sucks for me as I havnt been able to play CS:S at all because d/l speed is just fast enough to make online gaming suck and just slow enough to drive me insane

You need to pay for a key but that is just for 5-7 days and open beta will be out and then you can use this then so you will be ready for that :p

mattg1981

Jun 19, 2003
ohhhh I see .... so worst come to worst ... in 5-7 days, when everyone is allowed to play it (not just those who paid) .... I wont have to re-download the client, and I can begin playing immediatly ....

If it is legal (and you guys tell me how) I can create a .torrent for the file so those who missed out can be in the same boat that I am in and begin playing as soon as we can without wasting a whole night (which I am doing now) just to download the game

edit: btw ... no offence to anyone .. but who would pay just to play a BETA for 5-7 days more than the non paying people?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
ARGH FP DOWNLOAD FROoZE AT 2.1 GIGS!!!! going at 900 kB/s... well atleast the torrent is 94%...

JRSork

Sep 18, 2004
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
ARGH FP DOWNLOAD FROoZE AT 2.1 GIGS!!!! going at 900 kB/s... well atleast the torrent is 94%...
900kb/s!?!?! I've been lucky to get 150kb/s and sometimes it completely stops. I started DL at about 9PM, it's 2:28AM and I've got 1.7/2.6 Gigs.
:frown:

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Any version of the client released before Nov 1, 2004 is now useless for all tests.

Blizz may release a patch after the Stress test that will be required to play Open beta, or they may release a new client altogether. On the chance they may decide to patch the client released today for Open beta, I recommend downloading the client that was released today, even if you aren't planning to participate in the Stress test.

Thanks, I guess I'll clear the old stuff off my drive to make space for the new download. I'll take your advice and start downloading now. If it's this bad now, it'll only be 10x worse when OB really opens up.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hehe got the client to work and watched the cinematic (it rules) but I do not have an account, alas :( at least I don't have to worry about setting it up next week