Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Dude... you gotta keep that Nimiq mining info under wraps for a few weeks until we earn a small horde of it. You're just going to drive up the difficulty for everyone :(

If this stuff becomes popular, so you know that someone will write a GPU miner for it, and we'll be competing with the Ethereum miners to make a pathetic $2 a day with our video cards again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crono

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Tell me more about the Nimiq stuff

It doesn't come out for another three days, and I would surprised if the site didn't crash under the load on launch day.

Atotcoin is available now, though. You just need to ask for some! :)

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Wow. Crypto had quite the night.

I've been discouraged by the entire 2018 bearish market, I kinda stopped looking and just hodling.

I just looked it up. Meh.

Wake me up when btc reaches 13k at least and VET breaks 4.50.

Just when it breaks 4.50 that's when 'normal' just starts.

When it gets $6 I'll start to think about maybe getting excited.

Reactions: Red Storm

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
...and ETH back < $500. The FOMO is hard to resist.

For me, the FOGTZ (Fear Of Going To Zero) is bigger than the FOMO when it comes to Ethereum.

Oh... I tried mining some Nimiq on launch day, and look at that... the site isn't working. The account "safe" page doesn't work, and neither does the mining page. It doesn't seem that any of these cryptojokers know how to properly load test a web site before launching it.

This is why we should all get behind Atotcoin instead... no mining, no problems! :)

Reactions: Ns1

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Please send me atot coin, @ mod edit.

also, send me bch at mod edit

I would guess, even hope, that you meant this post as a joke, but begging is verboten here, and so, in an abundance of caution, I have edited out the most pointed parts of your "joke."

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zeze

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Yea otherwise it becomes a slippery slope, very dangerous for atot
I created an atot coin address that involved spelling out leet boobs... it was a joke, but I why we don't do begging (even as a joke) here.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Please send me atot coin, @ mod edit.

also, send me bch at mod edit

I would guess, even hope, that you meant this post as a joke, but begging is verboten here, and so, in an abundance of caution, I have edited out the most pointed parts of your "joke."

Perknose
Forum Director

Yeah, that wasn't a valid address. I didn't really got the joke, though.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, that wasn't a valid address. I didn't really got the joke, though.
If the word leet boobs in an address isn't funny in and of itself, then I can't really help.

Note "LawlzIamStuckInTheBlockChainLawlz" is also legitimate address.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Finally finished doing tax for this crypto basically doing this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7tdkln/bitcointax_and_turbotax/

What a pain. It imported all my crap nicely, but actual filing paperwork totally omits what exchange I used. It's just bunch of ETH & BTC values with dates & prices.

I guess IRS probably has their info to cross check this? But how?? They gonna run my checking account to see that I made deposits to Coinbase and check that with Coinbase database which IRS obtained from them few week ago in the news?

What a sh*tshow.

I owe nothing by end of 2017 from crypto capital gains. 2018 is where all the fun is though. Ugh.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I guess IRS probably has their info to cross check this? But how?? They gonna run my checking account to see that I made deposits to Coinbase and check that with Coinbase database which IRS obtained from them few week ago in the news?

it's basically not a problem until you get in an audit. I mean how could they possibly have info on miners? They don't.

I certainly gave my social security number to NO ONE for my crypto stuff.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I didn't bother with any tax stuff, but I avoided doing any trading back and forth, I think they watch that more closely than mining. I asked my tax person about crypto and she did not even know what it was. If it was important enough she would have been notified about rule changes etc as she gets notices from the government whenever there are new things.

If they're going to tax it they should make it simpler and fairer. Don't tax mining, don't tax trades, only tax when you deposit it to your bank. That way at least you would not end up losing money through taxes if you do a lot of small trades. Easiest bet would be to tax when it gets deposited to your actual bank account from the exchange. They should also automate this process.

From what I gather they only really go after big time miners so I think I'm ok. If they really started to give me trouble I'd just register as a business so I can write off my hardware as a loss. If they want to be crooks then I'll play the system too. It technically would not be wrong. My whole server room can technically be considered as being dedicated to mine even if I just have 2 GPUs. :p