Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Mr. Bill Gates of Microsoft will pay you $80,000 cash monies for every bitcoin you send to this wallet address: 178.294.32.108. Please forward this message to all of your friends.

I mean you could at least have put out a real bitcoin wallet address (it's like a public key in PKI, no harm in giving it out, in fact it's necessary). You can't even get any coin that someone sends to an IP address! Not even sure if a wallet will let you send to an address that isn't remotely close to looking valid. It's possible. The fools just lose it forever and yet you get nothing for it.

You'd never make it as a scammer, my friend. ;)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Do you really think that the Bank Of America is going to invest in something regularly fluctuates in value by plus or minus 20% a week?

If so, give us some advanced warning when they do it so we can dump their stock. They obviously lost their minds.
Not really now, but sometime out. In December they even looked into setting up their own exchange.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I mean you could at least have put out a real bitcoin wallet address (it's like a public key in PKI, no harm in giving it out, in fact it's necessary). You can't even get any coin that someone sends to an IP address! Not even sure if a wallet will let you send to an address that isn't remotely close to looking valid. It's possible. The fools just lose it forever and yet you get nothing for it.

You'd never make it as a scammer, my friend. ;)

Yeah, I don't know why people don't publish their public Ethereum wallet addresses in their signatures if they have one. I can't send them cool stuff like Atotcoin without it :)

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I didn't buy at ATH but I did put some money into BTC and LTC in later January after I got my ledger, but it was only a few hundred dollars because I'm not stupid enough to gamble with anything I can't afford to lose. I hope that both recover but I'm not worried about the short term because I will hold for at least 1 year to avoid short term capital gains tax.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I didn't buy at ATH but I did put some money into BTC and LTC in later January after I got my ledger, but it was only a few hundred dollars because I'm not stupid enough to gamble with anything I can't afford to lose. I hope that both recover but I'm not worried about the short term because I will hold for at least 1 year to avoid short term capital gains tax.
Lucky for you, you need gains in order for them to be taxed! You're off the hook!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Can I transfer from another wallet to RobinHood BTC? Did some light mining and would like to withdraw my $10 lol.

It would seem that such features have not been implemented in order to achieve zero fee trading, but I just started on the RH Crytpo thing today.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
No fee trading of ETH on robin hood is kind of amazing.
I never understood why this is such a big deal. Trades on Binance are 5 basis points and GDAX is free for limit trades. I am sure there are others that are as cheap. I doubt anyone using that app are making million dollar trades.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I never understood why this is such a big deal. Trades on Binance are 5 basis points and GDAX is free for limit trades. I am sure there are others that are as cheap. I doubt anyone using that app are making million dollar trades.

because coinbase charges 4% to get money in and 4% to get money out

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
because coinbase charges 4% to get money in and 4% to get money out
None sense. It is 4% if you are buying with a credit card. I transfer money to gdax, use limit orders including selling crypto for cash. Transfer cash to my bank. There is zero fee.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
My fault for picking coinbase I guess. And it's 4% with debit too.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah, I don't know why people don't publish their public Ethereum wallet addresses in their signatures if they have one. I can't send them cool stuff like Atotcoin without it :)
True, but linking your address to a forum account opens you up to potential targeting (particularly if your wallet is worth quite a bit). I guess you could use another address for that, but why bother?

I have 200 ATOTcoin, so I'm now in constant fear of hackers targeting me.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
True, but linking your address to a forum account opens you up to potential targeting (particularly if your wallet is worth quite a bit). I guess you could use another address for that, but why bother?

I have 200 ATOTcoin, so I'm now in constant fear of hackers targeting me.

Heh. 200 times 0 value is still 0 value :)

You can set up separate "throwaway" wallets for that. The Metamask wallet that I set up for Atotcoin and Coolcoin (the generic Atotcoin equivalent, just in case the mods throw the ban hammer at Atotcoin) isn't the same one I used for Ethereum mining.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
This is too complicated if its not going to make me a millionaire for minimal effort anymore :)

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
This is too complicated if its not going to make me a millionaire for minimal effort anymore :)
I've come to realize that if the market ever comes back, this will never be a buy and hold market. The best you can do is buy and then set stop sell orders. I spend literally hours every day looking at the market at reading news. It has occurred to me that unless you stand to gain 100k a year (and you won't in this down market), it is hardly worth it.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I've come to realize that if the market ever comes back, this will never be a buy and hold market. The best you can do is buy and then set stop sell orders. I spend literally hours every day looking at the market at reading news. It has occurred to me that unless you stand to gain 100k a year (and you won't in this down market), it is hardly worth it.

I earn less than 10% a year from my index funds, but I also only need to spend a few hours per year to buy more shares to hold. I'd guess 2-3 hours tops.

I spend the other 1,000 hours you lose to market-watching on important stuff like binge-watching Netflix, playing computer games (currently Pillars of Eternity), reading books, posting here....

Neither choice is wrong, some people enjoy playing the market more than casting fireball :)

Reactions: Ns1

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I earn less than 10% a year from my index funds, but I also only need to spend a few hours per year to buy more shares to hold. I'd guess 2-3 hours tops.

I spend the other 1,000 hours you lose to market-watching on important stuff like binge-watching Netflix, playing computer games (currently Pillars of Eternity), reading books, posting here....

Neither choice is wrong, some people enjoy playing the market more than casting fireball :)

I choose to spend my time mountain biking or with my family...did a bit of both in Moab last week...
22d0c22c9c9ce59353ae5e090d739fc5.jpg

I definitely would recommend it over reading crypto sub-reddit...but to each their own.

Reactions: zzuupp and Crono

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I choose to spend my time mountain biking or with my family...did a bit of both in Moab last week...

I definitely would recommend it over reading crypto sub-reddit...but to each their own.

Wow- that's breathtaking!!!!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

The Redditors would tell you that the reason you don't have a LAMBO in that picture is that you didn't HODL the crapcoin they were pumping like they told you to do ;)

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Nimiq countdown to mainnet is up on nimiq.com :

2r3gzfm.png

There's a spreadsheet with mining hashrates for anyone else interested in browser (or node.js) mining after mainnet launch, though if you have hardware already you can also check your hashrate on the testnet (keep in mind it's still play Nimiq until mainnet launch).

Last edited: