Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not trading crypto, just hobby mining (with like several PCs, each with a couple of GPUs). Basically, my F@H fleet, turned onto Mining.

I heard from one tax preparer, that if I didn't make more than $6000 (or was it $2000), then I didn't even have to file. (I'm on SSDI. Overall income less than $20K/year, even with some small mining revenue.)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yes sir! I am more confident in VEN than any other crypto by far (except ATOT Coin of course, that stuff is digital gold).

Coinbase just greatly increased how much crypto I can instantly buy from my checking account. They are playing a dangerous game.

You have more faith in ATOTcoin than the creator of it! I still have thousands of those things, with no idea what to do with them :)

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
s
Yes sir! I am more confident in VEN than any other crypto by far (except ATOT Coin of course, that stuff is digital gold).

Coinbase just greatly increased how much crypto I can instantly buy from my checking account. They are playing a dangerous game.

1. You guys following this very recent hype for ALL crypto? Many are believing that the bear market is over - with bunch of convincing articles announcing serious partnerships for top 20 coins.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurr...heads_up_boys_were_on_the_brink_of_something/

2. I'm so happy I'm in VEN. I couldn't bought far more for cheap. But it's okay. I'll take what I can take.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Yup. Good thing with having 2 kids is that time flies. I feel like we were talking here just in middle of January. I remember mentioning Vechain here for the first time. I love this VET. It's a solid mofo and I understand it now.

People have short memories... I remember all the general hype & mood around November/Dec 2017. They thought BTC would break $20K before EOY.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Yup. Good thing with having 2 kids is that time flies. I feel like we were talking here just in middle of January. I remember mentioning Vechain here for the first time. I love this VET. It's a solid mofo and I understand it now.

People have short memories... I remember all the general hype & mood around November/Dec 2017. They thought BTC would break $20K before EOY.

Shit I'm bachelor living up life with my doggo, and time has been flying by too! I remember thinking "just wait for spring, things will turn around" (and then got to thinking "where the hell is spring?! It's April and there's snow!" and now we're in May and the weather is beautiful and my portfolio is climbing once again.

A new job that actually keeps me busy and is enjoyable has played a tremendous role in helping pass the time.

Reactions: Zeze

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
So, what other crypto are you guys mining or buying right now?
Bitcoin Cash, It matches Visa in terms of transaction costs for a $1 transaction at a price of $10k/BCH (and is significantly less expensive at higher levels).

Presently double-spending will cost around $10k, so any transaction lower than that you can be really confident about before it even gets confirmed by the block chain.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Nimiq is looking interesting to me. It looks like they got their initial mining issues sorted out, and their network hash rate is steadily growing. It's not being traded on the exchanges yet, so now is a good time to get a bunch of them while they are cheap.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ether hit 1k the other day, now it's just a bit below. Great to see it come back up. Sitting on enough money right now to pay off half the cost of a GPU. :p

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The price action we have seen since the recovery is really making me think that the easy money in crypto is over. Making more in the stock market these days.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The price action we have seen since the recovery is really making me think that the easy money in crypto is over. Making more in the stock market these days.

Just like in the stock market, you gotta find the up and coming investments to make the real money. Nobody became a millionaire investing in Google when it was already at $1000, but a lot of people did when it was trading at $100.

Likewise, you're probably not going to make that much money investing in Bitcoin now. You gotta find the next Bitcoin.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Just like in the stock market, you gotta find the up and coming investments to make the real money. Nobody became a millionaire investing in Google when it was already at $1000, but a lot of people did when it was trading at $100.

Likewise, you're probably not going to make that much money investing in Bitcoin now. You gotta find the next Bitcoin.
Bit coin cash

File coin

Doge Coin

Reactions: pete6032

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I think so too, and honestly I kinda went into it knowing I was probably late. Figured it was still worth a shot though, and it still is but the days of making tons of money are probably over unless the next big crypto comes out. Too many copy cat ICOs now that just copy code from Ethereum or other cryptos. I'm still mining ether. Just not worth finishing the rig at this point especially with the price of GPUs. I will probably end up re-purposing the rig/case as a file server or something at some point.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I was thinking more like VeChain or Nimiq, but hey... Dogecoin could always make another roaring comeback :)

I'm still pissed that I didn't mine more Litecoin back when it was 4 cents and held onto it until it hit $200. I could have been posting this from a yacht right now. :)

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I know Zeze and I sound like broken records in this thread, but I do think VeChain has the capability to be the next big thing. To me it's not even a question of if, but when. Too many big, reputable companies and smart investors have committed to VeChain for it to be some kind of scam. I think most crypto coins will crash and burn at some point with only a few survivors. One of those will be VeChain.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Projects like Vechain, OMG, Stellar and a few others (sorry, not Dogecoin) have huge potential however, the price is controlled by traders and I am not so sure interest will continue to pump these prices up higher and higher. I am not saying the projects are dead by any means, they just may not be good long term investments. I spend at least an hour a day (many more most days) reading about the market and I feel my time can better be spent elsewhere unless I am making 50K a year off my investments. I do that in the stock market every year and I 1) don't have to watch the charts carefully because day trading isn't necessary. 2) I don't have to live with a cloud over my head knowing that the price may go down, down, down and never recover because the stocks I do invest in all have great fundamentals.

We also have people like Oracle and Facebook making their own blockchain, and possibly a product to sell to consumers. I think these companies have the resources to make anything bigger and better than most these 20 man startups.

Reactions: Zeze

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
We also have people like Oracle and Facebook making their own blockchain, and possibly a product to sell to consumers. I think these companies have the resources to make anything bigger and better than most these 20 man startups.

Exactly. Amazon, Google and Microsoft probably each have more than 20 people working on blockchain services to add to their cloud platforms. In both distributed and in more controlled (and so more efficient) flavors.

If you are a large corporation already using AWS or Azure for your other services, why wouldn't you pick them over a rag-tag little company?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Exactly. Amazon, Google and Microsoft probably each have more than 20 people working on blockchain services to add to their cloud platforms. In both distributed and in more controlled (and so more efficient) flavors.

If you are a large corporation already using AWS or Azure for your other services, why wouldn't you pick them over a rag-tag little company?
For the same reasons why many companies don't pick Amazon, Google, or Microsoft for everything. This is a new industry, simply assuming the existing big players will automatically own it is as foolish as assuming Nokia and Blackberry would be fine when smartphones were first hitting the market.

A more realistic approach is to expect that some of the big players will get it right (and in a timely manner), while others won't, and the capability for smaller companies to move fast will lead to some new big players in the industry. There's also room for multiple companies to thrive in the same industry. Also you have absolutely huge markets like China that do their own thing instead of using Facebook/Google/Microsoft, which is one reason why I'm so hopeful for VeChain. They could do zero business in the US and I'm still confident they're going to become a major player in crypto.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For the same reasons why many companies don't pick Amazon, Google, or Microsoft for everything. This is a new industry, simply assuming the existing big players will automatically own it is as foolish as assuming Nokia and Blackberry would be fine when smartphones were first hitting the market.

A more realistic approach is to expect that some of the big players will get it right (and in a timely manner), while others won't, and the capability for smaller companies to move fast will lead to some new big players in the industry. There's also room for multiple companies to thrive in the same industry. Also you have absolutely huge markets like China that do their own thing instead of using Facebook/Google/Microsoft, which is one reason why I'm so hopeful for VeChain. They could do zero business in the US and I'm still confident they're going to become a major player in crypto.

That's definitely possible, and another possibility is them being bought by one of the big boys.

There's just the risk that others will take away their potential customers, and not just Amazon, etc.: They've partnered with some Chinese government operations, but China is big on forced technology transfers and shifting work to companies they control. They could mandate use of XiChain and sever the connection with VeChain.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
That's definitely possible, and another possibility is them being bought by one of the big boys.

There's just the risk that others will take away their potential customers, and not just Amazon, etc.: They've partnered with some Chinese government operations, but China is big on forced technology transfers and shifting work to companies they control. They could mandate use of XiChain and sever the connection with VeChain.
Definitely possible, which is why there's always risk and it's no sure thing. But I feel good about VeChain's future.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I find VeChain amusing, since it's an Ethereum contract token. That means that it has a lot in common with Coolcoin, except that it's apparently worth a hell of a lot more. :)