Would you accept full pardon for Trump in exchange for his resignation?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sure you are. And refusing to see any variance to situations where pleas are effective is foolish.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I just read through this !@#$ of a topic, and NO ONE bothered to ask...

A pardon for what?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Some people are dumb, and don't understand that an investigation doesn't mean a crime has been committed.

True, an investigation doesn't necessarily mean a crime has been committed. But that's why investigations are done....to determine if crimes have been committed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Well, right now it seems to be an on-the-record admission of obstruction of justice.

You think firing Comey was an obstruction of justice.
What you may find in the end, is that the actual investigation has not been infringed.
Trump might be pleased if you tie impeachment to something as flimsy.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
What you may find in the end, is that the actual investigation has not been infringed.

so if you try and rob a bank, but you don't succeed in actually getting any money, it is no longer a crime?

when there are several instances of obstruction of justice, it adds up and doesn't look so flimsy, not unlike Trump's own words stopping his travel ban.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

He explicitly said he fired Comey in a bid to take pressure off of him in the Russia investigation. Not only that, but the initial reason given for the firing (how Comey handled the Clinton investigation) is now known to be a blatant lie. That's the opposite of flimsy -- the only way it could be more damning is if Trump confessed to a crime that motivated the attempt to hinder the investigation.

And like alien42 said, it's the intent that matters, not the amount of damage done.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Worth noting that impeachment doesn't require anything more than Congress to say it is warranted.

The terms are vague.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I am not talking about the men and women of law enforcement. I am taking about the crooks making the deals to finger their counterparts who may be innocent to save their own skin.
Someone has to offer and accept said deal. Those people are the law enforcement agents.

You flatly disregard their expertise and judgment. That's a rather big part of the equation to exclude.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Someone has to offer and accept said deal. Those people are the law enforcement agents.

You flatly disregard their expertise and judgment. That's a rather big part of the equation to exclude.

OK. I agree I don't generally think plead bargains are a good idea. Results vary.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I never said ALL were bad. Just that in general I am against them.
And I never claimed all were good.

My opinions are typically case by when they hit the news. The ones that are bad in my mind are when people plea out even though innocent, for whatever reason, or when people aren't being truthful, which is far more likely from a drug addict than a whistle blower.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
And I never claimed all were good.

My opinions are typically case by when they hit the news. The ones that are bad in my mind are when people plea out even though innocent, for whatever reason, or when people aren't being truthful, which is far more likely from a drug addict than a whistle blower.

Then we agree. Why are you being argumentative?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You took a stand, I challenged it. Isn't that what this is? If you see the gray areas, put it in your posts man.

Started with this, not much room for wiggle

https://forums.anandtech.com/index.php?posts/38903237

There are Always gray areas in everything.

Edit:

"I believe that deals and plea bargains only lead to crooks stabbing their enemies in the back and is rife with lies to save their own skin."

What I said is exactly what I meant and I still do. I said it leads to... nowhere did I say always. Why do you think people agree to a plea bargain?

Reading without reading into I guess is an art.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Only, only was the word you used. Leaving no room to variance. And the statement as whole is nonsense.

Only leading to crooks stabbing enemies in the back? Really. So it's never lead to crooks stabbing accomplices, partners in crimes, friends in the back? I'm to assume you have such a vast knowledge of the topic that there's no variance and it ONLY happens on your specific scenario?

Innocent people have never been talked into a plea?

I submit you can't see the gray areas, so dig in.

You should try answering your own question. Why do people take deals or pleas?

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Only, only was the word you used. Leaving no room to variance. And the statement as whole is nonsense.

Only leading to crooks stabbing enemies in the back? Really. So it's never lead to crooks stabbing accomplices, partners in crimes, friends in the back? I'm to assume you have such a vast knowledge of the topic that there's no variance and it ONLY happens on your specific scenario?

Innocent people have never been talked into a plea?

I submit you can't see the gray areas, so dig in.

You should try answering your own question. Why do people take deals or pleas?

You are reading into what I said only to argue.I done with that.

No, I asked you. I guess I should define it better for you.

Why do you think criminals take plea deals?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I just read through this !@#$ of a topic, and NO ONE bothered to ask...

A pardon for what?
Winning. Because half the nation simply cannot process the concept that he could win without some great mass of Spandex-clad nefarity.