Question Working on PSU cables with PSU Power switch on cause damage ?

Noobpcbuilder2020

May 8, 2020
Reconnect , connect or check cable conections ,internal cable connections like 24 pin cable.or others ,with PSU switch on but PC powered off can cause any issue to the computer ? in my case I was only pushing the 24 pin cable to make sure the connection was good , I think was good anyway . the problem was that the power switch was on and power cord connected . The computer was turned off

the pc is working , even did a stress test of 1 hour ... I am afraid to have done any damage anyway

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Nah... I mean, the +5VSB rail was live that whole time. So it's not a good idea. But if you damaged something, you'd know it by now. :D

Noobpcbuilder2020

May 8, 2020
Nah... I mean, the +5VSB rail was live that whole time. So it's not a good idea. But if you damaged something, you'd know it by now. :D
Yes it was :( , if is that the only power that remains with the switch on , I justed pushed the 24 pin cable to be sure was well connected , so I did not actually connected or disconnected anything , at least I think so if was really well connected .
Hope didin't damage anything in the process . It's running for 6H today.

thor23

Jul 13, 2019
You still have to short the pins on the 24 pin to turn the psu on properly, and plugging unplugging shouldn't do that. Still I'd make sure the psu switch is off next time.