Woodward/Costa book: Worried Trump could 'go rogue,' Milley took top-secret action to protect nuclear weapons

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Woodward and Costa write that Milley, deeply shaken by the assault, 'was certain that Trump had gone into a serious mental decline in the aftermath of the election, with Trump now all but manic, screaming at officials and constructing his own alternate reality about endless election conspiracies.'
Milley worried that Trump could 'go rogue,' the authors write.
"You never know what a president's trigger point is," Milley told his senior staff, according to the book.

In response, Milley took extraordinary action, and called a secret meeting in his Pentagon office on January 8 to review the process for military action, including launching nuclear weapons. Speaking to senior military officials in charge of the National Military Command Center, the Pentagon's war room, Milley instructed them not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.

This stuff is pretty crazy. I think it deserves a congressional investigation to fully understand Milley's actions. And this is the man that Republicans want to run again?

Reactions: Puffnstuff

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Woodward and Costa write that Milley, deeply shaken by the assault, 'was certain that Trump had gone into a serious mental decline in the aftermath of the election, with Trump now all but manic, screaming at officials and constructing his own alternate reality about endless election conspiracies.'
Milley worried that Trump could 'go rogue,' the authors write.
"You never know what a president's trigger point is," Milley told his senior staff, according to the book.

In response, Milley took extraordinary action, and called a secret meeting in his Pentagon office on January 8 to review the process for military action, including launching nuclear weapons. Speaking to senior military officials in charge of the National Military Command Center, the Pentagon's war room, Milley instructed them not to take orders from anyone unless he was involved.

This stuff is pretty crazy. I think it deserves a congressional investigation to fully understand Milley's actions. And this is the man that Republicans want to run again?

Investigate what? That Milley was ensuring his subordinates followed procedure to the letter?

Reactions: Leeea

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah I read that this morning. Was thinking of starting a thread but the article is long and covers a lot so I didn't know what to even focus on. Here's an interesting snippet.

Then Milley received a blunt phone call from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, according to the book. Woodward and Costa exclusively obtained a transcript of the call, during which Milley tried to reassure Pelosi that the nuclear weapons were safe.
Pelosi pushed back.
"What I'm saying to you is that if they couldn't even stop him from an assault on the Capitol, who even knows what else he may do? And is there anybody in charge at the White House who was doing anything but kissing his fat butt all over this?"
Pelosi continued, "You know he's crazy. He's been crazy for a long time."
According to Woodward and Costa, Milley responded, "Madam Speaker, I agree with you on everything."

Trump is completely unhinged and the vast majority of the people who worked in his administration damn well knew it.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Investigate what? That Milley was ensuring his subordinates followed procedure to the letter?

I don't disagree with his sentiment, but I do think a full accounting of his actions are necessary esp. to ensure we do continue to have civilian control of the military no matter how righteous the actions. And I'm sure he would agree.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Since at least 2016, or maybe since the Tea Party, the GOP has gone full cuckoo death cult conspiracy theory. Think about what their solutions are to any of the major issues this country is facing, oh you can't because they don't have any.

It wouldn't surprise me if they nominated him again because they're no longer a serious political party. You know they've completely fallen when they devote almost all their energy to propping up a debunked 4chan conspiracy theory.

I know it'll never happen, but an intellectually serious conservative party really needs to supplant them, so they can be shoved to the side with the Libertarians and other nutcases.

Reactions: Pohemi and Leeea

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Yeah I read that this morning. Was thinking of starting a thread but the article is long and covers a lot so I didn't know what to even focus on. Here's on interesting snippet.

Trump is completely unhinged and the vast majority of the people who worked in his administration damn well knew it.

Everyone knows he's crazy. even the Fox News crowd. That is what is so dangerous and insidious about the game they are playing. They have decided to put power/money over the US.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
More interested in Stephanie Grisham's book. Not to say there's a different side to the orange monkey when with cabinet and tv vs in private. But will get to read even more unhinged behaviour that she witnessed.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Once again I am a predictive genius. I posted this back on Aug 2017. How did I know this almost 4 years before it happened?

I don't see an immediate danger of this. I do however think a "Trump buffer" has been built in by higher ups in the military to prevent Trump from doing something stupid quickly aka nukes. We've already seen glimpses of this when the military refused to institute a policy to kick out/ban transgender people based on presidential tweet.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
More interested in Stephanie Grisham's book. Not to say there's a different side to the orange monkey when with cabinet and tv vs in private. But will get to read even more unhinged behaviour that she witnessed.

Her book will mostly be about Melania. Boring topic. IMO of course. Because who cares if Melania is an asshole too. Commentary and snippets:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Her book will mostly be about Melania. Boring topic. IMO of course. Because who cares if Melania is an asshole too. Commentary and snippets:

And self serving to make her (if possible) look better. Loved all those pressers she did.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
So we have a General admitted that he had implemented a coup. The same General that had zero clues that the Tallyban was going to overrun Afghanistan in a matter of days? The same General that failed to prevent hundreds of thousands of weapons and other military hardware to now be the property of the Tallyban?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I still believe we owe Gen. Milley a debt of gratitude. He was looking out for us the same way the capitol police were, by doing his duty. They were the ones tasked with dealing with TDS-seasoned treason firsthand, and they were successful. Examples to follow, not to rebuke. Milley was correct and completely warranted in his precautions, especially after that dipshit started his Jan 6th insurrection.

People who support insurrection and contest verified fair elections can take their calls of firing Milley and get fucked. Renounce Trumpism, election lies and outright insurrection, then people might give a shit about what you think regarding national security.

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
if Trump would had been able to fire nukes, who would had been his target? China? Russia? NewYork?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So we have a General admitted that he had implemented a coup. The same General that had zero clues that the Tallyban was going to overrun Afghanistan in a matter of days? The same General that failed to prevent hundreds of thousands of weapons and other military hardware to now be the property of the Tallyban?

Swing and a miss as usual, bullshit. Bravo. Still ignoring the ANA walking away, proving Biden correct. Shocker.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Save your fucking bullshit for the space between your upper lip and your nostrils, as you are the only person who enjoys its smell!

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Save your fucking bullshit for the space between your upper lip and your nostrils, as you are the only person who enjoys its smell!
Go fuck yourself fuck nuts. Save your stupid threats for someone else, dickhead. Still don't understand why you didn't get banned.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
I still here and not shutting up. You tried your soy boi threats and did nothing.
Yes we know there is no end to.your ability to spread lies, bullshit and propaganda, and your handlers fucking love you for doing this work for them. That's we we tell.you to fuck.off so much...and if your tiny brain takes that as some sort of threat then yes you truly are a person with the mind of a 2 year old.

Stop being so full of shit and people wont tell you to fuck yourself...simple concept to grasp...except for the willing morons

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and DaaQ

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
brandonbull is useful in that he is a regular reminder of how fucking evil and dishonest the right is. that they will never change and they are truly the enemy of western values, decency and freedom.

the basket of deplorables is not only massive, they are irredeemable as they constantly remind us.