Woods..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
He's played very well this year and entered tournamets where the course suits his game.

I wouldn't call it domination, but he is apparently tough to beat if he has the lead starting sunday. Other than that he doesn't fair so well. He's also within the last few years to conqour the mental aspect of the game...playing smart so to speak, playing high percentage shots.

Tough, virtually impossible if he has the lead on the final day.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Almost all pro sports are internal battles. How they can convince themselves they are the winner. Some are better than others at this.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: ognabor
Originally posted by: ManyBeers
becoming just a little too easy for this guy? He won 7 of the 16 he entered including the PGA Championship, a major. In 11 years he has won 61 tour events over 5 per year on average. Personally, i am all for winning but i have never liked domination, and he appears to be dominating the tour and i don't enjoy watching the same guy win over and over, but that's just me.
I guess most of his fans would be equally happy if he was beating them so easily, like a man playing with boys so to speak.

what, exactly, would you like to do about it?

break his hands.

oh and he is not winning easy.

Well then maybe mine and your definitions of easy vary. I say it easy for him.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
why is it bad to have someone raise the bar and show us all what is possible?

Why do you care what bar he climbed? What does that have to do with you? He climbed the bar , not you.

um, i'm a human. when thousands of humans try to do something and a single 1 excels far beyond all others, i find that inspiring.

have you never had anyone inspire you? have you never had a childhood hero? have you never aspired to be like that person?

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
just because he's the best doesn't mean it's easy.

So you honestly don't think winning on the PGA tour is easy for Woods. Come on he has won almost 50% of the tourneys he entered this year alone and routinely wins by wide margins and NEVER loses when he has a 4th round lead. ARE you serious?

Unless he is winning 100% of the time, then no, it isn't too easy. If it was too easy, he wouldn't ever lose.

Well that is YOUR definition of easy, not mine

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

So you honestly don't think winning on the PGA tour is easy for Woods. Come on he has won almost 50% of the tourneys he entered this year alone and routinely wins by wide margins and NEVER loses when he has a 4th round lead. ARE you serious?

Unless he is winning 100% of the time, then no, it isn't too easy. If it was too easy, he wouldn't ever lose.

Maybe it's time to rethink YOUR definition of easy then. Especially the way your poll is going anyways.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

if it was easy, would he land in the rough and bogey some holes?
your definition of easy is obviously flawed if you think the sport is 'easy' for him. Now sure, some specific courses are easy, but when he screws up even at those places, that proves there is still a chance of error when he swings that club. But it's not chance. If he doesn't line his body up perfectly, he is introducing a possibility of screwing up. A champion has to read everything about the environment and himself, that is the constant challenge of the game. If you misread your own body cues, you will screw up greatly. That is why EVERY golfer has bad days and will every now and then, or some more than others, land in the rough or in hazards. Bad reads, be it from the environment or your body.
Golf is a helluva challenging sport once you reach the pro level. The challenge never lets up, just how much you perfect your ability will help your score. But the challenge constantly exists.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
It isn't Tiger you should be talking about, but the mental fragility of most of his opponents. On any given day, one or more can take him down, but if he's on top of everything like he has been recently, no one is going to beat him. I can appreciate his dominance, and the phenomenal things he does on the course. I would like for a legitimate competitor to step up and routinely challenge him, if for no other reason than to see what level he can attain.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: fredhe12
I bet the rest of the guys on Tour think it's great for the game, if not for them personally as competitors. The Tour purses are astronomical because of Tiger. The TV contract is what is because of Tiger. The amount of youngsters taking up the game (particularly minorities) has gone up because of Tiger. Golf has more interest than ever as a spectator sport because of Tiger. I could go on and on, but the point is that all the attention he brings to the sport is because he is so dominant. Remember, America loves a winner. Particularly one who pwns at will!

I don't know what the other players think, other than one player remarked;"It just makes it harder for the rest of us," Johnson said. "Why give him another thing to try to achieve. He's a very driven man. When you add another element to that drive, what are you going to do?" So all of the players are not enamored of Woods.

Speak for yourself. I'm an American and i don't love dominating athletes. And there were many millionaire golfers long before Woods came along, and large purses too.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy

So winning half the tournaments he entered in a year and finishing in the top ten in the events he didn't win, never missing the cut, you don't think that is easy? In 216 starts he has made the cut 211 times. I think it easy for him.

so what you want tp penalize him because he is so much better then the rest?

sigh this is why schools are takeing away AP classes and youth sports are fucked up.

I don't propose anything. I just asked a question.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Yeah, let's ban all the players who win more than twice in their career. :roll:

While we are at it, why don't we redistribute the wealth of millionaires and billionaires because they are so dominant with their wealth.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
if you don't like then do not watch.

I don't like the idea of handicaping someone just because they dominate a sport.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Speak for yourself. I'm an American and i don't love dominating athletes. And there were many millionaire golfers long before Woods came along, and large purses too.

Not really ... Tiger has driven it to entirely different realms ... sure there may have been a few millionaires, but the regular grinder on tour is now at that point too. I'd be willing to bet that although it hurts to lose to him all the time, most are thankful for his presence in terms of what sort of financial rewards come about.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: bignateyk
uhh.. tiger is the only reason that many people even watch the game to start with. Trust me, without tiger, the tour would lose quite a bit of popularity.

Your nuts, get out of this thread. I've been watching golf since the 60s and i know many people who have been watching for years. You don't know what you are talking about.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko

Why do you care what bar he climbed? What does that have to do with you? He climbed the bar , not you.

Do you think Tiger makes $100 million a year because the spectators don't matter? Are you kidding me?! We, those that watch (and therefore fund) the sport, ARE what defines what is good for the sport!

Those that support Golf are playing not watching. It costs Far more money to play Golf that it does to watch it. You dig.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
uhh.. tiger is the only reason that many people even watch the game to start with. Trust me, without tiger, the tour would lose quite a bit of popularity.

Your nuts, get out of this thread. I've been watching golf since the 60s and i know many people who have been watching for years. You don't know what you are talking about.

Yeah, and you were the only 3 people. If you don't think Tiger has been a huge draw for non-golf fans, then you've spent too much time with the ball washer (I don't even know what that means).

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004

So if you have been watching golf since the 60's and have all these friends that watch it with you wouldn't you realize that the ratings of golf have increase since tiger has been playing? Haven't you realized that when tiger is on his game more people start to tune in? OP your are acting like a tool right now. And to answer your question, No! I'll watch tiger win every day and still not get tired of it. Watching what he does is just breath taking at times and seem impossible.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004

um, i'm a human. when thousands of humans try to do something and a single 1 excels far beyond all others, i find that inspiring.

have you never had anyone inspire you? have you never had a childhood hero? have you never aspired to be like that person?

I'm human too. I don't find pro golfers particularly inspiring.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: KLin

Maybe it's time to rethink YOUR definition of easy then. Especially the way your poll is going anyways.

I'll stick to mine you go with his.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Why have you been watching golf since the 60s?

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: destrekor

your definition of easy is obviously flawed if you think the sport is 'easy' for him. Now sure, some specific courses are easy, but when he screws up even at those places, that proves there is still a chance of error when he swings that club. But it's not chance. If he doesn't line his body up perfectly, he is introducing a possibility of screwing up. A champion has to read everything about the environment and himself, that is the constant challenge of the game. If you misread your own body cues, you will screw up greatly. That is why EVERY golfer has bad days and will every now and then, or some more than others, land in the rough or in hazards. Bad reads, be it from the environment or your body.
Golf is a helluva challenging sport once you reach the pro level. The challenge never lets up, just how much you perfect your ability will help your score. But the challenge constantly exists.

How do you know what a champion has to do? Are you one?

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Why have you been watching golf since the 60s?

Well since he doesn't seem to like it that much my guess is self punishment?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: destrekor

How do you know what a champion has to do? Are you one?

Why are you claiming it's easy to be a champion, are you one?

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Yeah, let's ban all the players who win more than twice in their career. :roll:

While we are at it, why don't we redistribute the wealth of millionaires and billionaires because they are so dominant with their wealth.

Why don't you just answer the poll and cut out the hyperbole.