WIP: Karaktu's (and Zap's!) Unofficial Guide to mobile Celeron overclocking success!

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Zap
Good job on that Dell and welcome to the forums!!! :thumbsup:

Just goes to prove that there IS life after Dell. ;)

PoopyPants

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2004
i got a celie D 310 2.1ghz
ASUS P4P800-VM

this baord flipping blows another reason why asus is one of the worst mobo makers ever... sorry for the hate but i cant stand asus. i got this board buy going by the thread over at H on mATX boards and it said it had everything for overclocking , needless to say i have gotten the thread updated to reflect the bios doesnt give you anything but vdimm max of 2.65v and VID control that dont change the vid much at all... oh and mem freq. but no fsb and no real vcore control

anywho...

ok i am not about to read thru this whole thread.

Celeron D 310 478 chip asus P4P800-VM mobo the chip will boot at 200mhz FSB using clockgen (since clockgen writes to the PLL until the system is physically powered off. meaning you can reboot and the clockgen settings stay) anyway its not stable at 200mhz so i need two things
vdimm mod and more cpu voltage............

so what mod do i do for the vcore .... im not quite sure i understand the voltage mod. i am on air and if i pump 1.6v into this chip its gunna implode.

i can run 3.15ghz at less than 1.4v and the chip is already proven at 3.7ghz at a little over 1.4v so all i really need is maybe a max of 1.5v so what mod/wire setting do i use for 1.5v ?

lastly anyone wanna do a vdimm mod for me

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
We're talking about mobile Northwood cores, not desktop Prescott cores in this thread. As to the forum thread on overclockable mATX boards, some of what they list are "overclockable" in the sense of modding or custom BIOSes. Also, some boards have had options disappear with newer BIOS revisions. A mATX MSI board I bought was like that, but then again it was never stable with even a 1MHz overclock so no great loss (on a 2.6C that can do 3GHz+ on another board).

You are hating Asus just because they fall into the same trap as almost all other manufacturers in thinking that people who buy mATX boards are not looking to overclock.

If you want mATX and overclocking on a budget, get a socket 754 Sempron and a Biostar Geforce or Tforce 6100 board. It will be faster than your Deleron and run a lot cooler. I know because I've had both CPUs.

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
Check this tread out, this guy did a fsb and voltage mod on his Celeron D

link

Originally posted by: PoopyPants
i got a celie D 310 2.1ghz
ASUS P4P800-VM

this baord flipping blows another reason why asus is one of the worst mobo makers ever... sorry for the hate but i cant stand asus. i got this board buy going by the thread over at H on mATX boards and it said it had everything for overclocking , needless to say i have gotten the thread updated to reflect the bios doesnt give you anything but vdimm max of 2.65v and VID control that dont change the vid much at all... oh and mem freq. but no fsb and no real vcore control

anywho...

ok i am not about to read thru this whole thread.

Celeron D 310 478 chip asus P4P800-VM mobo the chip will boot at 200mhz FSB using clockgen (since clockgen writes to the PLL until the system is physically powered off. meaning you can reboot and the clockgen settings stay) anyway its not stable at 200mhz so i need two things
vdimm mod and more cpu voltage............

so what mod do i do for the vcore .... im not quite sure i understand the voltage mod. i am on air and if i pump 1.6v into this chip its gunna implode.

i can run 3.15ghz at less than 1.4v and the chip is already proven at 3.7ghz at a little over 1.4v so all i really need is maybe a max of 1.5v so what mod/wire setting do i use for 1.5v ?

lastly anyone wanna do a vdimm mod for me

PoopyPants

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2004
i know Zap Joe just sent me over here to look at the vcore mod cuz he thought it might work for the Celie D prescott core also.

but can anyone else verify that the P4P800-VM has zero overclocking options aside from vdimm - mzx 2.65 and the usual cas timings ? there is a VID setting but it doesnt work ,,, atleast not on my chip it dont.

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
The multiplier and FSB on P4P800-VM are locked. You can use Clockgen to change the fsb, but not the voltage.

Originally posted by: PoopyPants
i know Zap Joe just sent me over here to look at the vcore mod cuz he thought it might work for the Celie D prescott core also.

but can anyone else verify that the P4P800-VM has zero overclocking options aside from vdimm - mzx 2.65 and the usual cas timings ? there is a VID setting but it doesnt work ,,, atleast not on my chip it dont.

HaxEJxuK

Dec 30, 2005
:( I'm having real hard time finding P4S800 MX. I did find them but they were like $80 and some more. Any one of you know where to get good priced P4S800 MX v2.0 that is new? Also, all these sites that I found(sold for $57 or so) all of them said they are sold out and discontinued, is it true? Thanks

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hmmm, did a quick search and indeed looks like the supply of the P4S800-MX boards dried up. There's the P4S8X-MX boardx for $53 that may do the trick.

Pro: Cheap price, updated with SATA.

Cons: Unknown compatibility with mobile CPUs (though historically it should be good), unknown overclocking functions in BIOS, the chipset "officially" supports only 533MHz FSB but Asus "guarantees" it at 800Mhz so may mean that it may not hit much more than that.

Would you like to be the guinea pig?

nickdigger

Apr 24, 2002
I tried my 2.4 cel + intel stock 478 hsf on a Gigabyte 8igx (845g) with some weirdness. First, i isolated VID4 with nail polish, and got the 1.225v i was hoping for (mobo allows up to +0.3v or so). Then, i LAN-booted linux (2.4.20 kernel) & ran mprime for about 30min before it rebooted. Figuring i needed to add voltage, i went into bios setup, and then the fun started. Lots of random reboots just in the bios, at voltages ranging from 1.225 - 1.400v. Mobo reported decent temps 35-40c, so it wasnt overheating at all. Plus, room temp here is only 10-15c.

I cleaned off the nail polish & put the Cel back in my laptop, and it still runs XP just fine. Has anyone else experienced flaky behavior like this? Mobo has real old bios, dated Aug 2002, if that matters. I figure the worst effect of that would be not having good microcode for the Cel/mobile, but i doubt any of the newer desktop boards, that ppl are using with these chips, have that code either.

My ultimate hope is to BSEL0 it & run 3200 in the laptop, and hope like hell it doesnt overheat :) If it does better than 3.2 without ridiculous voltages, maybe i'll desktop it. Who knows.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Overclocking in a notebook, now that's hardcore! I did that for a friend with a Celeron 2GHz (his Toshiba at the time used regular desktop chips). The Celeron was tested on a desktop board for stability at that speed, and worked just fine overclocked in the notebook.

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
Jan 5th, 2006

newegg.com has the ASUS P4S800D-X on sales -- $ 54 + 4.64 for 3-day ship.

From Karaktu

P4S800D
- The only motherboard I have ever used that detects a mobile Celeron at 1.2v without bending the pin
- Only allows for a .5v voltage increase in the BIOS

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Good find. Hopefully this one doesn't have the problem that the earlier ones sometimes had where the board would not power up a second time - always had to flip the switch on the PSU off for a few seconds, then back on before it would turn on, but otherwise would work fine.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Overclocking in a notebook, now that's hardcore! I did that for a friend with a Celeron 2GHz (his Toshiba at the time used regular desktop chips). The Celeron was tested on a desktop board for stability at that speed, and worked just fine overclocked in the notebook.

That's what I used one of my first mobile Celerons for. My daughter had a Inspiron 5100 with a desktop 2.8 P4, you could fry eggs with it and the battery wouldn't even finish a short DVD.

Put a 1.8 in it with the BSELO pin mod, it ran 2.4GHz at low voltage with very little heat and had a battery life that could actually be used.

ishmael2k

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: rogue1979

That's what I used one of my first mobile Celerons for. My daughter had a Inspiron 5100 with a desktop 2.8 P4, you could fry eggs with it and the battery wouldn't even finish a short DVD.

Put a 1.8 in it with the BSELO pin mod, it ran 2.4GHz at low voltage with very little heat and had a battery life that could actually be used.

Hmm this sounds like what I need to do to my Dell 9100 with its 2.8 Prescott.

One question, what did you use, if anything, to shim the heatsink?

Great thread, found it on google...

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: buzzly
My first post.

Finally, there is a way to turbo-charge my old Dell Dimension 4500 (Intel D845EPT2 board). I was ready to junk the computer because it was just too slow even for my 7-year old's games. I kept it because it had a very quiet 1-fan design.

After reading this tread, I got 2 Mobile Celeron's off ebay (1.6 ($18 ship) and 2.2ghz ($30 ship)). The Dell mobo recognized both CPUs as Mobile Celeron without the bend-pin trick. I assumed the board assigned 1.3v or 1.25v to the CPU (the bios is locked down and showed no volatge info). After doing the 133fsb pin trick to the 2.2 ghz CPU, it would boot at 2.93 ghz @ 1.3v (??), but it was not stable at all. It ran fine now after the 1.6v pin mod (putting wire into the CPU socket).

Thanks OP.

Next project is to put one of these Mobile Celeron into my Asus P4G8X-Deluxe which has been running on a oc'ed 1.8a P4 running @ 2.6ghz, 1.65v.

Isn't the board on that dell limited to 2.8GHZ? I thought so...... I have that computer. If its not, then, hell I'm going to have to find a mobile celeron to pin mod my 2.0GHz Dimension 4500 and add a 6600GT for a fubar gaming machine!

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ishmael2k
Originally posted by: rogue1979

Hmm this sounds like what I need to do to my Dell 9100 with its 2.8 Prescott.

One question, what did you use, if anything, to shim the heatsink?

Great thread, found it on google...

The good ole' copper penny of course! Scroll up the thread a little and we explain how to sand one down. Little bit of elbow grease, but it works perfect and only costs one cent.

ishmael2k

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Great, thanks for the info.

Couple more questions before I cool that beast down, you did the 133FSB mod to the chip right?

Did you have to do any voltage mods on the chip to run in the Dell laptop?

Thanks again,

Rob

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah. This board takes P4 1.60 - 2.40 GHz 400Mhz and 2.26-2.80 GHz @ 533 mHz fsb (using the latest bios)

With a 133fsb-modded 2.0 mobile Celeron, you most likely have to do the 1.6v pin mod too (I used the wire-in-the-socket trick).

BTW, if you already have nomal 400fsb P4 in this computer, why not just do a 133fsb mod on the existing P4?

Originally posted by: Hacp
Originally posted by: buzzly

Isn't the board on that dell limited to 2.8GHZ? I thought so...... I have that computer. If its not, then, hell I'm going to have to find a mobile celeron to pin mod my 2.0GHz Dimension 4500 and add a 6600GT for a fubar gaming machine!

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I might look into it. But mobile chips should scale better than p4s with normal voltage, so i'm weary of doing the mod and finding that it won't work

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
May be. the problem is that the Mobile Celeron can scale up to 3.2ghz, but the voltage setting via (easy) pin mod can only be either 1.3v or 1.6v.

On the other hand, most of the normal P4 can run @ 2.6ghz @ 1.6v. For example, the P4 came with my Dell 4500 was a 1.8a which I could easily overclocked on another board to 2.6ghz @ 1.65v.

If you have, say, a 1.8 or 2.0ghz P4, with the 133fsb pin mod, it should run @ 2.39 ghz or 2.66ghz @ 1.6v (via pin mod).

I might look into it. But mobile chips should scale better than p4s with normal voltage, so i'm weary of doing the mod and finding that it won't work

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Does it adjust the voltage automatically or do you have to do a volt mod also? Any guides? thanks.(the link to the pinmod at the frontpage is outdated)

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ishmael2k
Great, thanks for the info.

Couple more questions before I cool that beast down, you did the 133FSB mod to the chip right?

Did you have to do any voltage mods on the chip to run in the Dell laptop?

Thanks again,

Rob

I would pick the 1.8 because it seems to make the 133MHz pin mod in a notebook at the stock voltage, which is 1.2 or 1.3v. You can easily get a 2.4 with a 133MHz pin mod and the 1.6v mod to work (3200MHz), but that defeats the purpose of having a cool low power solution.

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
Unfortunately ( or fortunately) the Dell 4500 board (intel) recognizes the Mobile Celeron and lower the voltage to 1.3v, so you have to adjust the voltage (via pin mod) when you do the fsb pin mod.

Connect VID3 and VID2 (I did the wire-in-the-socket trick) (see Karaktu's post. part of the guide is not outdated)

Does it adjust the voltage automatically or do you have to do a volt mod also? Any guides? thanks.(the link to the pinmod at the frontpage is outdated)

sandrogalli

Sep 15, 2005
I don't know if anyone's tried a volt-mod on a P4s800-mx but my 1.6ghz started having a little trouble at 200fsb, but was still running pretty cool, so I thought I would up try and up the vcore to 1.7 and see if that stabilised it. The hardware monitor read 1.6 before modding.

Inspired by buzzly, I used some copper jewellry wire to connect vid4 through vid1, and it posted at 1.8volts but temps were waay high, idling at about 53C and hitting 60C with PCmark before shutting down. I continued to remove the hoops but even with vid4, vid3 and vid2 shorted it still was taking 1.8volts. btw, i was stabbing the holes with a compass to make them wide enough for the extra wire.

At this point I adopted the trial and error school of thought and used the bent pin trick to see what that would do to the voltages: if it did anything I don't know cos it wouldn't post. Actually I tried this twice with no success so i think it's safe to say you cannot use voltage mods on any chip that has been modded with the bent pin trick. Update to the OP?

Anyway, perhaps just for the sake of it, I bent vid4 back and removed another hoop leaving just vid4 and vid3 shorted. I realised this wasn't covered in the OP so I didn't really know what to expect, but part of me was praying that it would just post at 1.7. Imagine my surprise when it did! Anyway my chip seemed a whole lot more stable and ran right through sandra and pcmark at a 200fsb/3.2ghz. I does however fail after just about a minute of prime95 with a rounding error(?) but I've decided not to worry about this unless it affects my everday usage (touch wood). Anyway if anyone gets bored with thier 1.5-1.6's than this is actually a pretty straightforward mod if you have the right wire. I don't know how it compares to any other motherboards though, as it might only be the p4s800-mx that acts this way.

It has increased my temps to about 35C idle and i guess about 45C at load and this is a little hotter than I would like. Does anyone know the upper rated temperature of these chips? How would they be running in a laptop? The air coming out of my 2.0ghz laptop does get pretty hot but I guess it is a P4-M.

anyway, great thread guys, definitely the best on the web. ;)