Win 10 Fall Creators (1709) is On.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Now that 1709 is out in the wild I'm certain that new issues will be discovered soon requiring a CU to patch.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I was poking around on usenet and someone brought up the swap file/virtual memory reset. I know that most people probably don't mess with it but for those that do I did notice that mine was set back to system managed instead of what I had it set at. Just one more thing to look at I guess so I'll put it out there for memebers to check.

Wolfpup

Jan 25, 2006
Anyone else feel like Fall Creator's Update is really shockingly buggy?

I like the GPU in the Task Manager...that's awesome, but stuff I've noticed that's screwed up includes:

-switching back to windows, they're frequently "blacked out" for a few moments. I've NEVER seen Windows behave like that, and it happens on 2 systems with 2 generations of Nvidia GPUs, both running the newest drivers. (Hopefully something that will get fixed, and I don't know whether it happens with AMD or Intel GPUs, and it's not the end of the world, but it is ugly, and slows me down a bit). Occasionally a window won't even fill back in. It's almost like what you got prior to Windows moving the GUI over to run on the GPU's 3D hardware like Apple had already done. It's almost like it's having to rerender it like it used to in XP-doesn't look identical, but it's ugly like that, and slow like that.

-MPEG2 playback in "Movies & TV" is broken, even when you have the DVD player installed...worked fine until this release.

-Unless you shut down with the proper command from the command line or with Alt-F4 from the desktop, Windows now tries to relaunch open programs. I find this behavior OBNOXIOUS, and am amazed that Microsoft failed to notify the user it's going to do that, made it the default, and doesn't even give a way in the GUI to disable it! I'm amazed anyone thought this was a good idea, and hasn't fixed it yet! How could you possibly not think at least to put an option in Settings?

The whole thing comes off astonishingly half-baked.

I really feel like these yearly and 2x yearly release schedules for OSes are gimmicky, done for business reasons rather than what makes sense for the user.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I haven't run into your first issue on four different installs.

Unfortunately, I am not qualified to give you any feedback on the other two, but I hope MS addresses them quickly.

akaikaia

Jun 2, 2016
Tried updating to 1709 and it failed to recognize my Realtek Audio, tried updating from Device Manager-nothing, tried from motherboard site-installed drivers but not recognized by windows-yellow exclamation in device manager, tried from the Realtek site, same issue. Motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-z170x-ud5. I had an image from right before the update, so I went back to 1703, which works just fine-no unrecognized devices. Went to submit feedback to Microsoft, seems they are aware of the issue, hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.
Anyone here have any other ideas?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
That's kind of strange. My mainboard also uses the ALC1150 for audio same as yours but I experienced no issues when 1709 was installed. A quick look in my device manager suggests I'm using a generic high definition audio device driver published by Microsoft on 9/28/2017. Is there an advantage to using a Realtek driver vs. the Microsoft one?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The newest HWMonitor.exe from CPUID.com , on 1709 64-bit , if left open for a few days, starts leaking handles, I'm up to 2,568,403 handles. (Normal system handles total for a freshly-booted system is around 46,000.)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
A customer's laptop reacted oddly to the update. Originally it was a Win7 -> Win10 upgrade (x86 I believe), and it was on 1607 when I visited (a week or so ago). It was installing updates up to that day reliably, but no amount of manual update checks resulted in it showing a feature update to 1703 or 1709. I downloaded the upgrade package from the MS website and told it to do the update to FCU. It reckoned the system was compatible, but then acted extremely squirrely afterwards, even after a few hours of idle time and a few reboots (unreliable start menu, flaky wireless driver). In the end I reverted it to 1607.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It reckoned the system was compatible, but then acted extremely squirrely afterwards, even after a few hours of idle time and a few reboots (unreliable start menu, flaky wireless driver). In the end I reverted it to 1607.

It happened to me two times when the free Space on the OS' SSD was too low.

At the start the Upgrade routine seemed to check the available space and then kept going as though everything is OK, but at the end it reverted back to 1703.

Plugging in an empty fast 32 GB Flash Drive solved the problem as it revert to the Flash drive for spare space. The only unpleasant thing that it took much longer to do the upgrade since Flash Drives are slower than SSDs.

:cool:

akaikaia

Jun 2, 2016
I updated the driver on my 1703 build to the latest Realtek, no time to try the 1709 again until next week. Probably no real advantage to the Realtek vs. MS driver unless you are using advanced sound features. I just have an old pair of computer speakers hooked up.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hmm. Well I'm not using any advanced sound features just a pair of old computer speakers like you so I guess I will not worry about it. If it ain't broke why fix it, right?haha
Maybe you should try the MS driver next time you try to update to 1709 and see if it works. I wish I could tell you how to do that but mine was just installed automagically when I updated so maybe it was a hold over from 1703.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is this being pushed out by WU at all? It's less work for me, if WU does it, rather than have to plug in a flash drive.

Edit: I may have "defer upgrades" set via Shutup10...

Edit: That seems to be it. I disabled that on one PC, and it didn't upgrade, but I tried that on my desktop, and it started to download the upgrade, when I hit WU.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is this being pushed out by WU at all? It's less work for me, if WU does it, rather than have to plug in a flash drive.

It did on all my PCs besides one of them. After waiting for a week and it still not automatically downloading and installing, I went to Microsoft's website to get it going. I'm not sure why it automatically did it on 4 machines by itself, but didn't on the one.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It did on all my PCs besides one of them. After waiting for a week and it still not automatically downloading and installing, I went to Microsoft's website to get it going. I'm not sure why it automatically did it on 4 machines by itself, but didn't on the one.

There is usually a staggered roll-out of big updates in my experience, so if one was a month or so behind the others it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks to a machine I just did a clean install of 1607 not receiving the Fall Creators Update automatically, I have a theory (based partly on my other experience that I mentioned in this thread and this one) that a silent compatibility check is done and if a machine is determined to be potentially problematic then it won't automatically receive the update. This machine now has 1709 running on it, but I ended up replacing the onboard graphics with a basic, newer graphics card because after the 1709 update it fell back to VGA mode. It also switched the IDE drivers to ones that I'm pretty sure don't support TRIM, so that was a bit scary. Why on earth are Windows updates playing with storage drivers? Talk about playing with fire.

I have a small reason to doubt my theory though as while this machine said 'no updates waiting' even after checking several times (after picking up the initial slew of Windows updates), it had a message beneath asking if I'd like to get the latest version of Windows (normally it just goes on automatically), so like the other machine I had trouble with lately, I downloaded the upgrade program from the MS website. I don't think the other machine gave me that message.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Eventually when I get a new desktop computer, it will be set up once and then I will let Windows do normal security updates, but not always newer releases of Win 10 .. Once it is up and working, leave it be.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Eventually when I get a new desktop computer, it will be set up once and then I will let Windows do normal security updates, but not always newer releases of Win 10 .. Once it is up and working, leave it be.
With W10's built in be a beta tester option, aka windows insider program, they are able to simulate even more environments before releasing updates to the general public making them safer than ever but that's not to say that mistakes don't make it through the process because they do.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, just got a BSOD in 1709. Using G4560, NOT overclocked, Intel iGPU using latest drivers, running Skype and Firefox Nightly, was watching a video that would keep crashing Firefox in the same spot, then it finally caused a BSOD.

Suspect possibly the SSD, had problems with another rig that I had to re-format (a Ryzen rig that WAS overclocked), with the same Adata 128GB SU800 Ultimate SSD.

This video, the new AC. Plays OK after the BSOD / reboot.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...dard-poll-inside.2523544/page-7#post-39154944

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Firefox Nightly, was watching a video that would keep crashing Firefox in the same spot, then it finally caused a BSOD.
I also run the quantum beta latest version, currently b14, and have never had an issue watching a video on any source using it.,

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I woke up this PC, and was having issues clicking, the Right-Click Mouse menu would keep popping up. Eventually, the Mouse cursor changed to a solid busy. I had to use the ATX power-off switch to power off my PC.

I then rebooted, and tried another keyboard and mouse, and rebooted again, and now I can't click the Start menu, nor the notification window thingy on the lower-right corner either. The OS UI is dead. I can interact with Firefox though.

Serious WTF is going on here.

I just recently upgraded to 1709, I do NOT use a Shell Replacement.

CTRL-ESC doesn't bring up the start menu either.

But I was able to right-click the start menu, bringing up the right-click menu, selected "PowerShell (Admin)", and then a blue text window came up, and I typed SFC /SCANNOW, and it said it repaired a few things, and then I restarted, but no, still no Start menu.

Can't ALT-TAB, either.

Edit: What is this, Windows Purgatory? Can't use the Start Menu, can't get to Notifications, and Settings won't launch? Can at least launch programs using desktop icons.

And SFC.EXE corrected some files, but didn't fix the problem. I suspect that it's a service that's mis-behaving, but I went over all of them, and I can't figure out which one.

I might have to load a Shell Replacement on here, just to simply have a working Start menu at all.

Edit: I got it working. I had Radeon Crimson drivers 17.11.1 installed. I installed the AMD Chipset drivers, that didn't fix it, so I installed Radeon Crimson 17.7.2 WHQL, and now my Start Menu and whatnot work!

Stupid AMD drivers bug, that may or may not have been caused by the new OS build.

Last edited:

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
My SSD finally started going bad and I picked up a new one. Did a fresh install. Every time I try to click a link from an external program it takes 30 second to a minute for a web page to open. If I click a link in Discord, it will totally freeze until the page is open. Thunderbird does not freeze, but it still has the delay. I have reinstalled 3 times with the same results. I used two different versions of install media. Anyone have any ideas? I tried rolling back GPU drivers, turning off the game record items. Set all the program defaults. It does it to Chrome, Edge, and IE.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I would test the ssd to ensure that it is not the problem. Is it 2 1/2 inch or NVMe ? Look to the manufacturer's site for a test suite or try Crystal Disk Mark .Try an internet speed test next, is the throughput what you expect ? What sites are not opening ?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stupid AMD drivers bug, that may or may not have been caused by the new OS build.

From build 17035:
PLEASE NOTE: Due to a bug that causes PCs with AMD processors to bugcheck during upgrading to current builds, we are blocking PCs with AMD processors from receiving this build. We are investigating and working to fix so we can remove this block.

I wonder if what you are seeing is a precursor to this issue?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
From build 17035:
PLEASE NOTE: Due to a bug that causes PCs with AMD processors to bugcheck during upgrading to current builds, we are blocking PCs with AMD processors from receiving this build. We are investigating and working to fix so we can remove this block.

I wonder if what you are seeing is a precursor to this issue?
I'm confused. The above warning/block seems to be for the insider build, not the main Fall Creators branch, is it?