Win 10 Fall Creators (1709) is On.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I'm not gonna have this install on my main PC. Laptop works fine now after the update installed again.
So how do you block this Fall creator's update? I'm using W10 Home. It already downloaded to my pc and is ready now to be installed. I could only delay it couple of days. Anyting I can still do to block this update as I don't want this.

How long does an install of this update last btw. I read people saying like 6 hours :eek:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So how do you block this Fall creator's update? I'm using W10 Home. It already downloaded to my pc and is ready now to be installed. I could only delay it couple of days. Anyting I can still do to block this update as I don't want this.

How long does an install of this update last btw. I read people saying like 6 hours :eek:

Nope, they force the update upon you. You might be able to delay it by selecting you are on a metered connection, but it won't help for very long.

Unless you are installing this update on on an Atom-based PC, there is no way it takes 6 hours. I've updated all the PCs in my house, and it took the longest on my wife's laptop (Intel Haswell dual core 'U' CPU), and it took about an hour I believe. It sat for a long time doing whatever it was doing in the background, and then it started installing, and it wasn't that bad after that.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
@UsandThem Thanks for the reply. I have a Dell XPS i7-6600U 2.6Ghz with an SSD. How long do you think this update will take in my case?

Is there anything useful about this update or is windows wasting our time to

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for the reply UsandThem. I have a Dell XPS i7 with an SSD. How long do you think this update will take in my case?

On my i7 Skylake build (I have a NVMe drive though), I think it was about 20-30 minutes from the time I clicked update to begin the download. It was pretty fast, and I don't remember impatiently staring at the screen like I was on my wife's laptop.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Thanks for the reply UsandThem. I have a Dell XPS i7-6600U 2.6Ghz with an SSD. How long do you think this update will take in my case?

Is there anything useful about this update or is windows wasting our time to

I've updated over 2 dozen different laptops and desktops with the 1709 update with no issues at all. Should only take about 15-25 minutes or so to install once downloaded.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Ironically I did it this morning on my main pc. Went fine. Took about 15 minutes.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I probably had one of the strangest upgrade bugs with this update that I just noticed last night when I went to listen to some music in Windows Media Player. It seems that it changed lots of my album images from multipe artists (Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, etc.) to a Bon Jovi greatest hits one. :eek:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I probably had one of the strangest upgrade bugs with this update that I just noticed last night when I went to listen to some music in Windows Media Player. It seems that it changed lots of my album images from multipe artists (Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, etc.) to a Bon Jovi greatest hits one. :eek:
Something similar happened on my S8+ using PowerAmp. All my music/album art switched to "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oh, I just discovered another issue after updating relating to many of my album covers being replaced. When I tried pasting the correct cover on the albums, it made my mouse cursor jump outside of Media Player, and then scrolled the albums. Makes it really difficult to fix. I thought it was some type of odd fluke at first, but it did it on every album so far.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Oh, I just discovered another issue after updating relating to many of my album covers being replaced. When I tried pasting the correct cover on the albums, it made my mouse cursor jump outside of Media Player, and then scrolled the albums. Makes it really difficult to fix. I thought it was some type of odd fluke at first, but it did it on every album so far.
Any particular reason you are using WMP? I switched to AimP after Winamp died.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Any particular reason you are using WMP? I switched to AimP after Winamp died.

Really just because I have used it for so long, and just familiar with it. I also have the Prime Music app, but don't use it much. I might have to look into other options if they don't fix it soon.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Bon Jovi ? You have my deepest deepest.

Nothing wrong with listening to Bon Jovi 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and 'Wish You Were Here'. :p

At least Bon Jovi is better than Oyeve having his albums replaced with 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Just this year I finally got off of WMP. I have been on it since, I don't know, 98? It continues to do everything just fine (I thought it did anyway) except album art - which it sucks at royally! After lots of searching I switched to MusicBee and couldn't be happier. So much easier to update media content when needed and has a lot of extra features that I do like!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, I think I have used it since I think Windows 95 (definitely remember it on 98), and it has just always worked and was simple. It's nothing fancy for sure, but I am just so familiar with it. Maybe it's just time to use something better......

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Give aimp a try. Has great eq, dsp effects and not only will it find album art, it will embed it into the file.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Give aimp a try. Has great eq, dsp effects and not only will it find album art, it will embed it into the file.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

After fixing all the Bon Jovi album covers everywhere in my collection, I noticed Media Player has also decided to place Iron Maiden album images on the true Bon Jovi albums (before anyone laughs, I was 10 when 'Slippery When Wet' was released, so I will admit I rocked out to that because it was just so heavy and cool). :p

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How do i uninstall this update and revert back and stop it from ever installing again?

Its screwing up my USB and i need it to stop or im going to go postal. never had a problem with USB since i built system. Then creators update happens and MS provided USB driver is broken, it randomly drops my USB devices sometimes, the AMD provided USB driver works fine has for months since i built system, never once have i had it drop a USB device.

The problem is since the fall creators update installed i no longer have control of what hardware drivers are installed. Previous there was an option in control panel to disable windows from automatically updating hardware drivers and i used this. Post update this option is removed. The registry hack also does not work post update.

So now i install the amd driver it works for a few hours then windows downloads the MS driver and im back at square one with broken USB.

So how do i either:

1. Disable automatic hardware driver updates permanently.
2. Uninstall creators update permanently and stop it from ever installing again.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
is there a way to force this to happen

my main comp is still on 1607 and has not seen a winupdate in forever. all the other comps in my house have gotten the fall update (1709)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
is there a way to force this to happen

my main comp is still on 1607 and has not seen a winupdate in forever. all the other comps in my house have gotten the fall update (1709)
I found that when using "Shutup10" and selecting "Recommended", that it disabled "Windows Upgrades", you need to turn that back on.

And for someone mentioning the selector for Windows Driver Update, there's a selection for that too. Maybe use Shutup10, if that selection is missing from the Windows' built-in menus now in the newest version? It's still an option, in the newest released build of Windows 10, in Shutup10.