Win 10 Fall Creators (1709) is On.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Log here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the Media Tool.

Previous media Tool for 1703 was about 17.5MB The new Media Tool is 17.7MB.

Run the Media Tool and follow up with the selection that is your desired Option.

Personally, I choose to Download Win10 ISO Both version (x86 x64). Make a Boot-able USB Flash Drive (fie size of the combo is about 6.32GB), so 8GB Flash Drive is needed for the x86 x64 combo), then Upgrade with it locally any computer as needed.

:cool:

Reactions: Puffnstuff

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It would be nice if those idiots at Microsoft (or maybe somebody else can do it) would find a way to auto delete the old restore partitions that windows likes to create. The computer should end up with: The original factory restore partition and a restore partition for the last version of windows installed before the update is installed. I know we can delete them using Disk Management, but it is very hard to tell which ones to delete and which to leave. For some idiot reason, the Disk Management does not show a Date Created .. If it did, we could easily tell what to delete.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was happy to find out that today is the day, for Fall Creator's Edition Upgrade release.

I downloaded the MediaCreationTool, from the same link that Jack listed in the OP. I then plugged in a USB3.0 DataTraveller flash drive (8GB) in, and went through the prompts, to create a USB bootable installation, x64.

I wanted to do both x86 and x64 on the same stick, but when I used the 1703 MediaCreationTool to try that, it wouldn't work with an 8GB stick, it was apparently too large. So I'm curious what got pared down if the dual-bitness installation media is less than 7GB now.

Maybe I'll try a dual-bitness USB install stick later with another USB drive, if I get daring and have the time.

Anyways, when the USB stick was done, I closed out of the MCT, safely removed the USB stick, re-inserted it, ran Setup.exe, and voila.

Didn't have any issues. My Intel iGPU drivers for my G4560 CPU, were 4771. I don't recall if I had installed those before the upgrade, or if 1709 installed them.

Could be placebo, but it seemed that it rebooted faster, and programs launched a little quicker.

Other than a potential performance uplift, I didn't notice anything markedly different, there was another category on the Settings app root menu.

Also to note, there is a new version of Shutup10 to go with, make sure to update that too.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I"d completely forgotten about this update until I saw this thread so thanks for the heads up. I've got multiple machines to update so I'll be busy for a little while with installing it.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I installed it on my wife's old laptop using the media creation tool. No issues, and it's the first update I've seen that didn't remove all my custom settings.

My desktop on the other hand had the update rolled out automatically, it started while I was eating dinner. Screwed up my desktop because it messed up my Nvidia driver. Couldn't believe they rolled it out to me on the first day, and there was no option to stop it. I prefer clean installs on my desktop. Doing it twice a year is getting a little old as well. Especially when I can't tell any difference, or improvement. just an hour wasted fixing the desktop and settings.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
really don't like how they keep trying to make Windows like idiot proof with their dumb little update messages. "Don't turn off your computer or it'll mess things up!"

???

Is Microsoft just a bunch of sandal and tie dye wearing hipsters now? please MS, people are dumb enough with computers, let's not make things worse. we know you Californians are all trendy and free-spirited but let's try to retain a professional approach to OS that is used for business and other heavy lifting. I don't need to be pat on the back for pressing buttons.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Task Manager, Performance tab / view, now has an entry for GPUs! I have an Intel iGPU in this box (G4560), and it shows five graphs, four on the top right, "3D", "Copy", "Video Decode", and "Video Processing", and along the middle-right, they have "Shared GPU memory usage".

Helpful!

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Disk Cleanup has been improved. Used to be, many files were not deleted even though they showed up in the categories of files selected for deletion. Now they all get deleted. Better/.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The first thing 1709 did was kill my classic shell install and nothing I do will bring it back even though its supposed to be compatible with the fall creators update. I found out that on the machines that I left on 4.3.0 1709 installed leaving it alone so that it works normally afterwards. I made the mistake of updating to 4.3.1 before installing 1709 and it killed it. No matter how many times I wipe the registry and then attempt to reinstall it will just not work on my system anymore.

Then I tried the trial install of start10 and it bombed to. If stardock gets back to me and makes it work I'll be switching over to start10 so I can have my menus back.

Edit: LeeSoft menu works.
http://lee-soft.com/windows-start-menus/windows-aero-black-start-menu/

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Try renaming the installer for Classic Shell 4.3.1 and then run it as an Admin .. see if that works.
I will not let 1709 on my computer until Classic Shell can be made to work with it. I heard somewhere
that is being deliberately blocked by Microshit company

Read somewhere to try this: -- if it does, use Autoruns to turn it off so it does not start up again
end task "windows shell experience host" in task manager - should fix the problem

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Try renaming the installer for Classic Shell 4.3.1 and then run it as an Admin .. see if that works.
I will not let 1709 on my computer until Classic Shell can be made to work with it. I heard somewhere
that is being deliberately blocked by Microshit company
The installer works fine but when it tries to execute afterwards it never goes anywhere. I didn't try running as an admin during the install and I suppose that I could try that. MS's shitty menu needs to go away or they need to allow the user the option between their gay menu and the classic shell style of menu. CS is the reason I finally abandoned W7 for 8.1 as I would never even think about it with their horrible menu's.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Also try this:
Read somewhere to try this: -- if it does, use Autoruns to turn it off so it does not start up again
end task "windows shell experience host" in task manager - should fix the problem

I myself do not want build 1709 without my Classic Shell .. I like the normal XP / 7 style menu

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Brother I'm roughing it now with a pokki menu sitting in my task bar that brings some functions back while I try to sort out CS. I want my W7ish menu back.:(

Edit: I just figured it out. You have to allow it to install to its default directory and it will work. I just put it back that way and it immediately started working again.:D I did run it as admin too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakk

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That is good to know. Now I don't have to worry about 1709 screwing up my computer. Glad we have some software testers around here.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Classic Shell 4.3.1 worked fine on both the machines I updated. Didn't have to do anything, but click "OK" on message button that said CS had to be reconfigured.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Classic Shell 4.3.1 worked fine on both the machines I updated. Didn't have to do anything, but click "OK" on message button that said CS had to be reconfigured.
Apparently if you install to anything other than the default directory it gets confused during the upgrade. My desktop was in its own directory but the other machines went to the default one. If I tried to reinstall nothing changed until I let it go to the default. This isn't the first time I've seen this behavior from software and usually when its set that way you aren't offered the option to change the installation directory.

manderson

May 15, 2010
Remote Desktop does not work after installing version 1709. Anybody know a fix? Connects initially and 30 seconds later says the program is not responding. Real PITA because I use it to access all of my work computers in the basement. I can find an alternative, but would like to know what the problem is.

manderson

May 15, 2010
Disabling the printer redirection worked. Quick fix so at least my work is not interrupted. Thanks!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Remote Desktop does not work after installing version 1709. Anybody know a fix? Connects initially and 30 seconds later says the program is not responding. Real PITA because I use it to access all of my work computers in the basement. I can find an alternative, but would like to know what the problem is.

Is 1709 the local or remote computer that you're accessing? I have two computers with the fall update and both of them work fine, either as the access computer or the computer being remotely accessed.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Remote desktop working here too , and I didn't have to change any settings, like the printer. For reference, I have tried it on two computers running 1709 connecting to Windows Server 2008.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
With classic shell confirmed working I'm thinking of allowing the update, thanks.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Getting netio.sys BSODs after the update and running VLC. Had to do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers on my gaming laptop. My main gamig desktop works fine as it uses an AMD RX480.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Updated one of my virtual machines this morning (running VMware Player). After the update, the size adjustment was not working correctly - could not see the top of bottom of the screen. Updated VMware to version 10, uninstall and re-installed VMware tools, but it wouldn't budge - only runs pre-selected resolutions. But I am sure it's an issue that will be fixed shortly. The funny part is, another VMware VM on the same computer than was clean installed with 1709 doesn't have this issue.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Got a surprising bump in frame rate in Shadow of War after installing this on my desktop. Laptop hasn't seen much of an impact and everything seems to be running smooth.