Will the next stimulus bill be passed by March 14? And, when will this end?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
imrs.php

Dems need to plaster this figure everywhere, and maybe it will start to sink in who is better for working class Americans.

You're comparing tax reformation to stimulus for a pandemic that has disproportionately effected the lower class?

That takes a special kind of stupid.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
You're comparing tax reformation to stimulus for a pandemic that has disproportionately effected the lower class?

You appear to be claiming that its not possible to reform taxes in such a way as to improve conditions for the lower and middle class. Is this an accurate representation of your opinion?

Nov 8, 2012
You appear to be claiming that its not possible to reform taxes in such a way as to improve conditions for the lower and middle class. Is this an accurate representation of your opinion?
No it's not an accurate representation of what im saying.

I'm saying that tax reformation was created in the mind and thoughts of reforming our tax system as it relates to our tax payers. Specifically during a time that doesn't have a global pandemic.

This 3rd stimulus bill is targeted specifically to those effected by a global pandemic.

Why in the living Fuck would you compare those 2 things as if they are equal or something that SHOULD be compared?

The logical comparison if anything would at minimal to be to compare this to the first stimulus bill - The CARES act.

This is statistics and data analysis 101. You compare like to like. Why do I have to explain this to grown adults?

Christ just shows how much we REALLY need to reform our shithole education.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

That dumb ass mother fucker thinks the tax cut trump passed was tax reform. That’s only true if you take the word reform to mean change, any kind of change. Otherwise trump and republicans billed it as a stimulus plan. Apparently s0mestupidshitforbra1ns forgot about trumps promise of 3%+ gdp growth while talking/pushing it.

But hey you know, I know, and everyone else on this forum knows he’s the dumbest mother fucker on this forum.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I'm saying that tax reformation was created in the mind and thoughts of reforming our tax system as it relates to our tax payers. Specifically during a time that doesn't have a global pandemic.

This 3rd stimulus bill is targeted specifically to those effected by a global pandemic.

Why in the living Fuck would you compare those 2 things as if they are equal or something that SHOULD be compared?

The logical comparison if anything would at minimal to be to compare this to the first stimulus bill - The CARES act.

This is statistics and data analysis 101. You compare like to like. Why do I have to explain this to grown adults?

Holy shit you are stuck on stupid! I’m guessing it’s cuckold night for you.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

I'm comparing the two things because they are the two signature achievements of the two administrations (at least to date for Biden), and both are tools that can be used to affect the financial lives of citizens. Republicans used their power to legislate a change to the tax code that benefited the top 1%. Democrats used their power to legislate a stimulus package that benefited everyday Americans. And both were passed along party lines. We can certainly expand the data set, and it won't change the conclusion anyone with quantitative reasoning skills will draw.

For example, lets look at the first CARES act. Dems were on board with that act as well, because Dems are willing to look beyond party politics to do what is best for every day Americans. Republicans on the other hand are only willing to do what is best for everyday Americans if they are in power and dictating the conditions.

I really hope you don't work in a field that requires data analysis. Of course you want to compare data of different types. This is what any good data scientist does. If you want to understand a phenomenon, you don't just look at a single type of data. You look at all the data available related to that phenomenon, and you propose a mechanism that fits all the data. The more types of data you have, the more robust is your defense of the validity of your model.

You should really lay of the insults. I don't take offense when someone who clearly has no clue what he is talking about tries to insult my intelligence. Rather than insults, why don't you focus on putting together an argument that is actually factually correct. I can't remember the last time you didn't make a fool of yourself trying to do so.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Before calling anyone else stupid, you might want to check the difference between "effect" and "affect".
Oh sure, it might be a minor error that in no way affects the actual premise of your argument, but one of the effects of having such a vociferous post is that it draws more scrutiny to all the post content, however (in)significant ;)

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Don't worry though! You can trust the gooberment to fix ev3rythinng

It's going to be pretty hilarious. 30M that are months and months behind on rent. Landlords that are hanging on by a penny because of those tenants.

There is zero bailout that can cover that magnitude. Zero.
Can you explain how any of the previous stimulus packages from the previous administration that where aimed primarily towards businesses, the rich, and not the citizens helped in that regards? You act like those 30 Million just spontaneously appeared in the last 60 days. It's about time you pull your head out of what ever dark hole you have it shoved up, and face reality. Had the previous administration passed stimulus packages geared toward helping the citizens, we wouldn't have such issues for you to bitch about.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Can you explain how any of the previous stimulus packages from the previous administration that where aimed primarily towards businesses, the rich, and not the citizens helped in that regards? You act like those 30 Million just spontaneously appeared in the last 60 days. It's about time you pull your head out of what ever dark hole you have it shoved up, and face reality. Had the previous administration passed stimulus packages geared toward helping the citizens, we wouldn't have such issues for you to bitch about.
Do you know where that 30M # is coming from? The numbers seem to have been getting much better over the past couple of months and I am sure the stimulus plan rolling out will help further.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What do you think happens when the landlord can't pay - and the mortgage bank forecloses and takes possession?

That doesn't change the statement I made. I firmly believe the 2008 housing crisis should have had us "bail out" the people and not the banks. Here we are again with a far bigger revision of that. To secure American families we need to secure the roofs over their heads and not toss them to the street every time Wall Street stubs its toe.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Do you know where that 30M # is coming from? The numbers seem to have been getting much better over the past couple of months and I am sure the stimulus plan rolling out will help further.

It's the number someonesmind1 used, so ask him. . Not sure if it is accurate or not, but that wasn't the focus of my response. As for those being months behind on rent/mortgage payments which is what his 30 million was in reference to, and it getting better the last few months; I haven't seen any indication of that yet, as many states have state eviction bans still in place. That and nothing has happened the last couple months that gave these people the means to pull them out of the situation in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
It's the number someonesmind1 used, so ask him. . Not sure if it is accurate or not, but that wasn't the focus of my response. As for those being months behind on rent/mortgage payments which is what his 30 million was in reference to, and it getting better the last few months; I haven't seen any indication of that yet, as many states have state eviction bans still in place. That and nothing has happened the last couple months that gave these people the means to pull them out of the situation in such a short amount of time.

I specifically avoid asking that guy anything because in my experience his responses are always idiotic. WAs looking around for some resent information on this and do not see a ton of it form good sources.

Does anyone seen national figures for how many people are behind on rent? I have not seen anything that indicates anywhere close to 30M. There are what a third of that on on unemployment? Those people are getting money in so probably paying at least partial rent. California which has a moratorium on evictions has approximately 240,000 folks behind on rent totaling about $1.7 billion. There are already discussions happening to provide state aid to help wipe out most of that debt.

Nov 8, 2012
I specifically avoid asking that guy anything because in my experience his responses are always idiotic. WAs looking around for some resent information on this and do not see a ton of it form good sources.

Does anyone seen national figures for how many people are behind on rent? I have not seen anything that indicates anywhere close to 30M. There are what a third of that on on unemployment? Those people are getting money in so probably paying at least partial rent. California which has a moratorium on evictions has approximately 240,000 folks behind on rent totaling about $1.7 billion. There are already discussions happening to provide state aid to help wipe out most of that debt.

The number has been mentioned multiple times by multiple media companies.

Heres NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/02/opinion/eviction-moratorium-ending.html

And here is the study they cite that is calculating this as being between 30M - 40M: https://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/The_Eviction_Crisis_080720.pdf

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Nov 8, 2012
An opinion article and a study form August. This is why I do not respond to this guy.

lol you're an idiot. Show me your articles and studys where this problem has been fixed and everyone recoup'd their 5 months that they are behind on rent?

If it's fixed, why do we have a blanket rule that doesn't allow landlords to evict anyone?

You're an idiot and prefer to use your feelings instead of facts.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The thread was started on March 1. I'm pretty sure the Pres announced recently that checks would go out before end of the month.

As I've said before, there are folks in the lower income range -- around the median for families of four people -- who have a fixed, guaranteed income from pensions, social-security, or solid IRAs. I can only judge my own case and situation: I don't need the checks.

On the other hand, taxation is a matter of obligation and not altruism. The corollary applies if the government chooses to give you money. And the stimulus checks are for "stimulus". If I had put the $1,200 from last year into my savings account, I would do better to spend the new money. Heck! If I answer the questions properly and honestly in Turbo-Tax this year, the second check for 2020 of $600 is automatically credited against my tax obligation. It was neither deposited to my bank account, nor sent to me as a Treasury check.

Anyway, I was a bit stunned at the result for routinely getting my taxes done (with Turbo-Tax) this year. I had budgeted for $850-worth of payments in taxes owed and 2021 estimated taxes for April. Instead, I get refunds from both the IRS and CA. The whole gravy-bowl of savings is something like $1,400. That means I have $2,800 in cash windfalls that was not anticipated or planned.

It looks as though the new Michelins I was planning to purchase for my old car aren't going to make a dent in my budget, and I had originally added them to this year's budget-plan. -- expecting an expense of $1,000. I've had nothing but good news for the last week. I just paid off my mortgage, and the lender is sending me two checks totaling another $800 for payment of excess principle and the escrow account close-out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaQ

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
lol you're an idiot. Show me your articles and studys where this problem has been fixed and everyone recoup'd their 5 months that they are behind on rent?

If it's fixed, why do we have a blanket rule that doesn't allow landlords to evict anyone?

You're an idiot and prefer to use your feelings instead of facts.
I hope you are not stupid enough to think I am going to have a conversation with you. You are not worth my time.

• Haha
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Notice, the many republicans that voted against this bill yesterday (or was it Tuesday???) are now claiming credit for what the bill will do. Republicans that voted against this bill now telling their state citizens "help is on the way". That same help that this same republican(s) voted against. Not only are republicans full blown liars, they are deceivers. On the plus side, for democratic challengers come the next election, this republican lying and deceit will be used against their republican opponents in ad and on tv. Democrats need to put a catchy memorable catch-phrase attached to this Biden achievement and then repeat it over and over. Something really catchy and something that makes it clear that democrats and only democrats made this happen. Any suggestions out there?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Notice, the many republicans that voted against this bill yesterday (or was it Tuesday???) are now claiming credit for what the bill will do. Republicans that voted against this bill now telling their state citizens "help is on the way". That same help that this same republican(s) voted against. Not only are republicans full blown liars, they are deceivers. On the plus side, for democratic challengers come the next election, this republican lying and deceit will be used against their republican opponents in ad and on tv. Democrats need to put a catchy memorable catch-phrase attached to this Biden achievement and then repeat it over and over. Something really catchy and something that makes it clear that democrats and only democrats made this happen. Any suggestions out there?
"Eat the Republicans"

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The thread was started on March 1. I'm pretty sure the Pres announced recently that checks would go out before end of the month.

As I've said before, there are folks in the lower income range -- around the median for families of four people -- who have a fixed, guaranteed income from pensions, social-security, or solid IRAs. I can only judge my own case and situation: I don't need the checks.

On the other hand, taxation is a matter of obligation and not altruism. The corollary applies if the government chooses to give you money. And the stimulus checks are for "stimulus". If I had put the $1,200 from last year into my savings account, I would do better to spend the new money. Heck! If I answer the questions properly and honestly in Turbo-Tax this year, the second check for 2020 of $600 is automatically credited against my tax obligation. It was neither deposited to my bank account, nor sent to me as a Treasury check.

Anyway, I was a bit stunned at the result for routinely getting my taxes done (with Turbo-Tax) this year. I had budgeted for $850-worth of payments in taxes owed and 2021 estimated taxes for April. Instead, I get refunds from both the IRS and CA. The whole gravy-bowl of savings is something like $1,400. That means I have $2,800 in cash windfalls that was not anticipated or planned.

It looks as though the new Michelins I was planning to purchase for my old car aren't going to make a dent in my budget, and I had originally added them to this year's budget-plan. -- expecting an expense of $1,000. I've had nothing but good news for the last week. I just paid off my mortgage, and the lender is sending me two checks totaling another $800 for payment of excess principle and the escrow account close-out.
As you were, I was shocked that I will be getting a refund of $1700 because I never directly received anything other than an EPI2 check of 141.45, and the IRS specifically told me in a letter not to claim as income. I would have received nothing otherwise. I do need to replace my lawn tractor, so it will be going back into the economy pronto. :)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Geez, I forgot why I came in to this thread. For you impatient ones, the orders went over to the WH last night instead of today, so Biden will be signing the COVID relief bill today.