Why your Apple computers are so expensive?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I upgraded my macbook pro with 4 GB's crucial memory that was built for PC's. It worked just fine.
Pretty sure you voided your warranty by doing so. I'm mostly sure, not 100%, that if you use unapproved memory you void your warranty with Apple.

Like I said about the trackpad, I really like Apples I just prefer the actual FEEL of my Lenovo. I'd LOVE to have the gesture features on my laptop. It really is an awesome thing that those have, but it's not enough to get me to pay the premium for an Apple.

edit- just did a search, you don't void your warranty as long as the memory didn't cause the problems. still probably a good idea to hold on to the ram it came with and replace it if you ever have to take it in for service.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Pretty sure you voided your warranty by doing so. I'm mostly sure, not 100%, that if you use unapproved memory you void your warranty with Apple.

A quick search shows that this applies to warranty on RAM only and not on the whole PC

It also appears like Apple will try to blame any and everything on said ram.

ou may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty.

Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

Warning: Due to the risk of exposure to potentially lethal voltages, you should not under any circumstances separate the plastics of any computer that includes a cathode-ray tube (CRT) in its design, such as the iMac. Only an Apple Authorized Service Provider should separate the plastics of these computers to install an upgrade or make a repair.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Since there seems to be some conversation about the MBP battery life and my post was skipped over I'll repeat it.

Apple does not use the same battery tech. The lithium ions are laid out in sheets vs cylinders, contributing to better battery life.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
In terms of alternatives to the MBP 13" I offer the following. I put trackpad as a - for all windows laptops since apparently mac pads are the best thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't really know.

Acer Timeline X
+Better processor
+Significantly cheaper
+slightly lighter
=battery life
-trackpad
-lcd quality/Resolution (16:9 instead of 16:10, though some don't care)
-No optical drive
-weaker graphics, though I'm pretty sure there's an upgraded model with equivalent graphics (will cost you of course)

Asus U30JC
+Better processor
+Cheaper
=battery life
=graphics
-trackpad
-slightly heavier

HP Envy 13
+Graphics
+Battery Life
+Much lighter
=price
=lcd quality
-trackpad
-Resolution (16:9 instead of 16:10, though some don't care)
-processor
-No optical drive

Lenovo Ideapad Y460
++Graphics
++Processor
=trackpad (sounds like this one is pretty good)
=price
=14"-> may be a + or - depending on your preference
-Heavier
--Battery life
-slightly heavier

I also considered OSX, but I'll leave that as a neutral. Technically buying a mac is the only legal way to get OSX, but if you need windows software you'll need to purchase a copy of windows.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
The lack of an optical drive kills some of those for me. The shitty screen on the U30 kills that one as well which leaves the Lenovo. And I'm okay with that because it is pretty much an apples to apples comparison where price is similar and the consumer is debating the specs. However in typical Apple vs. The World conversations people only want to bring up the cheapest laptop they can find with better internals and screen size without looking at the specifics (backlit keyboard, screen, touchpad, etc.). If all of these conversations revolved around equivalent quality (Lenovo, possibly the Envy 14, etc.) then it would be a much more intelligent conversation.

Thanks for taking the time to look those up Terzo. You're the first one to attempt to put some actual meat behind your argument (though I'm not quite sure if you are arguing vehemently against Apple or just joining the conversation :) ).

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Thanks for taking the time to look those up Terzo. You're the first one to attempt to put some actual meat behind your argument (though I'm not quite sure if you are arguing vehemently against Apple or just joining the conversation :) ).

:thumbsup:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
16:9 isn't a deal killer for screens. It looks like they're pushing 16:9 more and more for PC/Laptop monitors every day. I wouldn't call 16:9 a negative, more of a neutral scoring.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Terzo to the rescue! Finally, someone who actually made a good apples to apples comparison.

Now I am waiting for OCguy to come out of the dark and stop being the exact person he hates.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The lack of an optical drive kills some of those for me. The shitty screen on the U30 kills that one as well which leaves the Lenovo. And I'm okay with that because it is pretty much an apples to apples comparison where price is similar and the consumer is debating the specs. However in typical Apple vs. The World conversations people only want to bring up the cheapest laptop they can find with better internals and screen size without looking at the specifics (backlit keyboard, screen, touchpad, etc.). If all of these conversations revolved around equivalent quality (Lenovo, possibly the Envy 14, etc.) then it would be a much more intelligent conversation.

why is a backlit keyboard important? honestly i haven't been able to figure that one out at all. you obviously aren't a computer savvy person if you're looking down at your keys all the time.

mumedina

Nov 5, 2009
Which row was that?

macbook.jpg

Somewhere, out there in the world, an Apple fanboy blew his load at the sight of this picture. (including Steve Jobs)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
why is a backlit keyboard important? honestly i haven't been able to figure that one out at all. you obviously aren't a computer savvy person if you're looking down at your keys all the time.

God, you can find a way to bash anything. So, it isn't a problem that Lenovo has been putting their ThinkLight (or whatever it is called) on their systems for years. And although I am a fairly proficient touch typist, I hate using the number row, I just can't get it (and I do data entry for 80% of my job, thank god for the numpad), or the F Keys, so I think it is still a nice thing to have.

I mean hell, why is a Windows/Mac OS important? You obviously aren't a computer savvy person if you can't roll your own linux kernel.

It isn't a bad thing for some people to like certain features, and just because you have no use for them doesn't make them useless. I had no use for Bluetooth before I got my RAZR, and have no use for it now that I have my iPhone, doesn't mean that it is useless for everyone.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Uhh dude I can type with the best of them. Sometimes it's just nice to have to find certain keys you don't use very frequently. WTF does it even bother you? Are you just trying to nitpick as much as you possibly can because it's fun for you?

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
For the record I'm pretty anti-mac but I'll agree that their laptops are hard to compete with..IF you want certain features. They have the macbook and macbook pro, which as far as I'm concerned are the same damn thing (internally, I know the chasis on the pro is better). Oh, I guess there is the air too but that's really niche.
I appreciate quality screens but it's not that big of a deal for me on a laptop; if I didn't have my desktop I'd probably feel differently. Anyways, when I look at windows notebooks there are so many more options. I think that's fundamentally what I like best: choice.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
God, you can find a way to bash anything. So, it isn't a problem that Lenovo has been putting their ThinkLight (or whatever it is called) on their systems for years. And although I am a fairly proficient touch typist, I hate using the number row, I just can't get it (and I do data entry for 80% of my job, thank god for the numpad), or the F Keys, so I think it is still a nice thing to have.

I mean hell, why is a Windows/Mac OS important? You obviously aren't a computer savvy person if you can't roll your own linux kernel.

It isn't a bad thing for some people to like certain features, and just because you have no use for them doesn't make them useless. I had no use for Bluetooth before I got my RAZR, and have no use for it now that I have my iPhone, doesn't mean that it is useless for everyone.
I would never take into consideration backlit keyboard when making a purchase. I have no interest if the keyboard lights up, it adds no functionality and the only way I would even really notice it except for the annoying glow out of the corner of my eye, would of been when I was 9 and learning how to type.

Windows is important because it dominates the market share, that's why Windows is important. OSX not so much. Your arguments are terrible. I wasn't even bashing the Apple product as I was you.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Uhh dude I can type with the best of them. Sometimes it's just nice to have to find certain keys you don't use very frequently. WTF does it even bother you? Are you just trying to nitpick as much as you possibly can because it's fun for you?

I think it's an incredibly stupid thing to be a deciding factor on a purchase of a laptop. If you know how to type and you're familiar with a keyboard you hardly ever look down and when you do you already know the general idea of where the key is anyways(unless of course it's a keyboard you're unfamiliar with). It's not like Apple makes you switch from QWERTY to Dvorak where you'd probably have to look down and see the keys. Hell the backlight isn't even my problem at all with the product. I just won't take someones opinion seriously about technology if something like a backlit keyboard is a deciding factor on the piece of tech.

My problem with the Apple keyboard, which I don't like and isn't exclusive to Apple, is the chiclet style keys.

ps- backlit keyboards aren't exclusive to Apple and I think anyone who allowed the backlit keyboard to be a deciding factor for them when all things are NOT equal is an idiot too.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I don't think backlit keyboards are a deciding factor for anyone, just another nice thing to have (like magsafe powercord)

No they are definitely deciding factors for people. Trust me. The dude wouldn't of even have brought it up if it wasn't.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
I would never take into consideration backlit keyboard when making a purchase. I have no interest if the keyboard lights up, it adds no functionality and the only way I would even really notice it except for the annoying glow out of the corner of my eye, would of been when I was 9 and learning how to type.

Windows is important because it dominates the market share, that's why Windows is important. OSX not so much. Your arguments are terrible. I wasn't even bashing the Apple product as I was you.

I repeat, just because it is useless to you, doesn't make it useless period.

If what you are saying is that Windows is ONLY important for most people because it is in a position of market dominance then I agree. Couldn't it also be argued that those OSes are aren't in a position of market dominance have to have something else to offer. And maybe that is part of what drives people to buy a MacBook. The backlit keyboard is icing on the cake. But how about if we are comparing two cakes, we make sure that they both have chocolate icing. That is why comparing a $399 blue light special to a $999 MacBook (or refurbed MBP) is bunk. Even if one of the things that the blue light special is missing is a feature that you deem to be useless.

Also, if you got the idea that I was marking it down as a selling point for me, then that was apparently my mistake. I brought up the backlit keyboard along with the trackpad, and the MagSafe as a little thing that Apple does either better or differently than competing PCs.

And the MagSafe is kind of a selling point. Not only does it prevent you from taking your laptop with you if you trip, but since it snaps itself into place, it is very easy to plug in (yes, yes, how hard is it to plug in a cable... it isn't. But, if that task is already easy, why not something that makes it easier?)

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
No they are definitely deciding factors for people. Trust me. The dude wouldn't of even have brought it up if it wasn't.

Wouldn't "have" brought it up.

Still, it's a silly thing to be a deciding factor, just like hinges are a ridiculous thing to care about.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I repeat, just because it is useless to you, doesn't make it useless period.

If what you are saying is that Windows is ONLY important for most people because it is in a position of market dominance then I agree. Couldn't it also be argued that those OSes are aren't in a position of market dominance have to have something else to offer. And maybe that is part of what drives people to buy a MacBook. The backlit keyboard is icing on the cake. But how about if we are comparing two cakes, we make sure that they both have chocolate icing. That is why comparing a $399 blue light special to a $999 MacBook (or refurbed MBP) is bunk. Even if one of the things that the blue light special is missing is a feature that you deem to be useless.

Explain to me what OSX offers the world that Windows doesn't. At least with Linux(or things like FreeBSD) etc I can create and compile my own version of the OS, not to mention I could literally put it on almost any piece of hardware that exists. Comparing laptops should come down strictly to what you need in terms of hardware and what you can afford. Aesthetics are for morons with to much money to burn. Same reason people paid a premium to get neat neon lights in their cases 10 years ago, they're morons.

edit- just saw your edit and now we're just going at each other for no reason and I apologize. at least you know my opinion on backlit keyboards rofl.

The magsafe thing is pretty sweet and like I've said in this thread already I really do like Apples trackpad.

Last edited:

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Explain to me what OSX offers the world that Windows doesn't.

A full unix environment with good tools without the hassle that can come with linux.

I have been a full time linux user for at least close to a decade. I can get what I want from linux + better gaming and some required proprietary tools for my job + really nifty hardware such as the trackpad that has been mentioned a billion times.

I can't do that building my own. I'm not a big apple fan, in fact I really do not like the direction apple is taking their company. I'm sure I'll head back to linux eventually, but right now I'm living the good life with OSX and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Just like with my car, I pay for convenience. Honestly, I can't imagine myself every building a computer again. I want sleek *nix notebooks. Currently apple is the only real player in that market.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
A full unix environment with good tools without the hassle that can come with linux.

I have been a full time linux user for at least close to a decade. I can get what I want from linux + better gaming and some required proprietary tools for my job + really nifty hardware such as the trackpad that has been mentioned a billion times.

I can't do that building my own. I'm not a big apple fan, in fact I really do not like the direction apple is taking their company. I'm sure I'll head back to linux eventually, but right now I'm living the good life with OSX and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Just like with my car, I pay for convenience. Honestly, I can't imagine myself every building a computer again. I want sleek *nix notebooks. Currently apple is the only real player in that market.

In addition to that, there are some really incredible pieces of third party software out there, many of them much nicer than their Windows counterparts such as image editors, the iLife suite, the iWork suite (not on the level of professionalism as Office, but Keynote mops the floor with PowerPoint, and Numbers is actually a really nice spreadsheet program. I like the fact that you can have multiple unique tables per page.

Coda as sourceninja mentioned before, is incredible if you do web design, I really liked XCode when I was studying SE, and Scrivener is an incredible writing tool.