Why the fascination with Harry Potter

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: akshatp
I have to agree with OP. I am not a fan of this childish HP stuff either, and dont understand the great hype and following by adults.

That being said, everyone has a right to their own likes/dislikes. Im sure many people dont like watching soccer, or hockey, or football, and think its childish for grown men to get in uniform and play team sports. Its called an opinion, and everyone has a right to their own one.

BTW, I tried watching LOTR and hated that too. Got about 1 hour into the first movie before I was in a deep sleep. My wife goes absolutely gaga over any and all of these sci-fi phenomenons (HP, LOTR, SW, etc)

I thought Star Wars was okay, mainly because of the cool special effects that Lucas created in the 70s and 80s.

I friggin hate HP too. Though I did like LOTR.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
the story is 'good' because the author knows how to write. instead of just *reading* about the story, you are immersed in each aspect of the story through masterful narrative. if you havent read the book, u wouldnt understand.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
So, I'm going out on a limb and will probably be ignored by the OP.

To me ricing out cars is pretty lame. I mean seriously, why spend money on something that obviously has no return on investment! Oh, Oh wait, I have another one! Why build the biggest and baddest computer out there when you know full well it will be obsolete the next day. Absolutely stupid!! Different people like different things, therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with adults liking a child's book. If anything I would applaud the fact that these adults and children are reading versus watching TV. The only problem I see lies in some individuals not respecting other people's differences. It's the "why can't everyone be like me" syndrome. The world is great because we are all different.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
I don't really have a problem with the HP books, I have a problem with the rabid fanaticism they've generated on such a broad scale, and I worry about the lasting effects that will have on books and book publishing in the future.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes...so I try to avoid dissing the books or those that read them. But I also think that the books have grown to a point where there are some larger cultural issues here that warrant thinking about.

Everyone says that the books "pull you in" or are "accessible" and "read quickly." ...meaning (though nicely) that they're pretty much TV in book form. Not that there's technically anything wrong with that, there's certainly a market for it amongst children and adults, but I almost have to wonder...why bother? If you crave TV-style entertainment, why not just watch TV? Is the fact that it's words rather than images and sound really any better? (and what counts as "better" anyway?) For all that's been made of the lack of engagement that TV viewing requires, do we really want the brilliance of the flag-bearer of the written word to be a successful mimicry of that? Do we really want books to start co-opting the passive nature of television?

Call me a snob. Say I have "why can't everyone be like me" syndrome. I'm fine with that - But there are bigger issues here.

Axoliien

Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Dubb
I don't really have a problem with the HP books, I have a problem with the rabid fanaticism they've generated on such a broad scale, and I worry about the lasting effects that will have on books and book publishing in the future.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes...so I try to avoid dissing the books or those that read them. But I also think that the books have grown to a point where there are some larger cultural issues here that warrant thinking about.

Everyone says that the books "pull you in" or are "accessible" and "read quickly." ...meaning (though nicely) that they're pretty much TV in book form. Not that there's technically anything wrong with that, there's certainly a market for it amongst children and adults, but I almost have to wonder...why bother? If you crave TV-style entertainment, why not just watch TV? Is the fact that it's words rather than images and sound really any better? (and what counts as "better" anyway?) For all that's been made of the lack of engagement that TV viewing requires, do we really want the brilliance of the flag-bearer of the written word to be a successful mimicry of that? Do we really want books to start co-opting the passive nature of television?

Call me a snob. Say I have "why can't everyone be like me" syndrome. I'm fine with that - But there are bigger issues here.

I don't really see a "bigger issue" because there are some books that people write that are less complex than others. So some books will be published like HP and others won't. I don't think there's going to be a huge lasting effect that will cause publishers to only publish easy to read books. In this case, you are saying why not watch TV, but part of what makes any novel great is that you can imagine and work out your creative brain a bit, even if you are reading something simple.

Take the original Dick and Jane books. If you read it today, you would be completely bored, but just reading it probably causes you to imagine or visualize, in some way, some aspect of the story. Dick and Jane go outside. Dick and Jane throw a baseball. You most likely see or at least remember what "outside" and "baseball" look like to you. I would have to say that even this little bit of imagery is working our your creative brain, rather than having it all splayed out for you and using your observing brain for tv, which we use all the time anyway.

You are right, it may not be better, but it is different which can be good for people.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: everman
OP should try some stuff by H.P. Lovecraft.

i have a feeling the OP doesn't read much of anything besides The Giant Book of Trolling, with Extra Large Lettering, Large Spacing, and Simplified Words.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: Strk
I find it amusing how people try and mock the reading level of Harry Potter books. Serious, read current adult books. They're at the same reading level. Hell, in the Harry Potter books, I see a much better use of vocabulary and complexity in the stories than a lot of the drivel coming out by "adult" authors. I read Dan Brown and I think the only word he knows is incredulous.

Let's be honest, the reading level on most books is very low. The only difference is the amount of sex, swears and violence.

Also, as for those mocking them being little kids, you do realize that each book represents a new year? In the last book, they're supposed to be 17-18 year olds (mostly 17 if it makes you guys feel better).

believe me, you'll find me mocking the majority of authors that I can only assume you would classify as "adult." (read back through this thread for a few examples) ;)

what would you classify as an adult book? examples of books and authors

examples of authors that I read

Kundera
Calvino
Kafka
Roth
Beckett
DeLillo (he's like crack)
Joyce
Steinbeck
Murakami
Faulkner
etc...

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I find it amusing how people try and mock the reading level of Harry Potter books. Serious, read current adult books. They're at the same reading level. Hell, in the Harry Potter books, I see a much better use of vocabulary and complexity in the stories than a lot of the drivel coming out by "adult" authors. I read Dan Brown and I think the only word he knows is incredulous.

Let's be honest, the reading level on most books is very low. The only difference is the amount of sex, swears and violence.

Also, as for those mocking them being little kids, you do realize that each book represents a new year? In the last book, they're supposed to be 17-18 year olds (mostly 17 if it makes you guys feel better).

believe me, you'll find me mocking the majority of authors that I can only assume you would classify as "adult." (read back through this thread for a few examples) ;)

Kundera
Calvino
Kafka
Roth
Beckett
Joyce
Steinbeck
Murakami
Faulkner
etc...

Have you ever tried any of Toni Morrison's work?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Dumac

Kundera
Calvino
Kafka
Roth
Beckett
Joyce
Steinbeck
Murakami
Faulkner
etc...

Have you ever tried any of Toni Morrison's work?

oh yeah. good stuff :thumbsup:

Problem is...I can only think of a few female authors whenever I put my mind to it :(

I like some Flannery O'Conner, Plath was one twisted chick, and I sitll need to read Zadie Smith's latest--hell, she's probably one of the top five writers anywhere to show up within the last 5 or so years.

Earlier, I neglected to mention Nobokov, Eco....and damn, Marquez is probably the quintessential "adult" author when you think about it...complexity, rich themes, mature/cerebreal presence...revolutionary for his time, national hero.

oh, and anyone who wants to read a great war-era writer....Celine will never dissapoint ;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
anyway, I came back here to ask a few questions:

1) How many of you are dosin on pills tonight to stay up and read the book straight, and somehow be the first to finish it?
2) c'mon...be proud and admit it....
3) I mean, are there contests in those HP community gathering events, or whatever they do?
4) I'm willing to bet there are at least 5 people on this site who will stay up all night/morning/day until they're done....
5) any takers ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

1) How many of you are dosin on pills tonight to stay up and read the book straight, and somehow be the first to finish it?
3) I mean, are there contests in those HP community gathering events, or whatever they do?
4) I'm willing to bet there are at least 5 people on this site who will stay up all night/morning/day until they're done....
5) any takers ;)

my book is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but i won't read it until i finish my current H.P. Lovecraft book. I won't marathon it either. I'll just read like I normally do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

5) any takers ;)

my book is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but i won't read it until i finish my current H.P. Lovecraft book. I won't marathon it either. I'll just read like I normally do.

just curious is all. i work near the mac store in chicago, and i remember the zealots for the iphone. i was more surprised than i thought i'd be for the iphone fans, and after seeing this morning's news and the bookstores setting up displays for midnight parties....

just wondering about the "scene." :cool:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

I was flipping thru cnn tonight and they had something on about this book. A bunch of morons dressed up in a book store. This is no better than all those dorks getting worked up over the stars wars crap. But eh, thats just my opinion.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Are you serious? It's a children's novel, of course it's going to be easy to read. This isn't Kafka where I need to imagine what it's like to be in the mind of a roach. There's nothing wrong with a quick read for adults who want to enjoy fantasy books. How do you even compare reading a book to watching TV even if it's simple book? The only books you can compare to watching TV are pop-up or picture books.

The whole argument that TV is detrimental to one's imagination is based on the fact that everything is presented to you so that you don't have to picture the event. Even an easy read requires one to picture it through words. Harry Potter books are not going to cause some mass pandemic in the world. That's like claiming Goosebumps was bad for the world or Nancy Drew. It's not like schools are replacing higher reading with Harry Potter. If there's a day when Shakespeare is replaced by J.K. Rowling, then sure, you can complain, but until then what are you complaining about?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: KK

I was flipping thru cnn tonight and they had something on about this book. A bunch of morons dressed up in a book store. This is no better than all those dorks getting worked up over the stars wars crap. But eh, thats just my opinion.

What are you passionate about in life?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: glutenberg

...i'm guessing...not HP...

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: wnangle
WOW - I'm so glad someone had the guts to start a thread like this. My 9 year old son is very in to Harry Potter. I think that is great. He wants to see the movies too, which I think is great. Is a book written on a 4th grade level also written for adults? I don't think so. I started to watch one of the Harry Potter movies with my son one evening and will have to admit, after about 15 minutes I was bored senseless and could not quite understand what my 9 year old found so fascinating. It appears to me that adults are reverting back to their 4th and 5th grade childhood with these stories and want to be found 'KOOL' with the younger group. Just my opinion.

Harry Potter is anything buy "Cool". Rather then trying to blend in with the younger crowd, I'm sure they read it because they find it interesting,

I've only seen 2 movies, and they are ok I guess but I'd never read that.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

That's a pretty educated guess. ;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

That's a pretty educated guess. ;)

I use what limited resources I have :D

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Okay...who's finished it already? I know you're out there...

I would've finished it if I got it at midnight... regretting that I didn't. Have to wait for Amazon to ship it... /sigh

The only reason I'm so anxious to read the thing is because I know I can't check WoW forums or even log in until I do. Anandtech moderation I trust enough to still visit.

Regarding the OP: they're pretty well written IMO- in the sense that they appeal to children and yet adults will also find it an enjoyable read. Speaking for myself, its nice to be able to sit back and have a nice easy/enjoyable 1-2 sitting read every now and then. I've read through many of the more acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi series, and while they're undeniably well-written, they're not "easy" reads by any stretch.

What's wrong with having a little fun now and then? :p Lighten up some. Harry Potter is something you can just lay in bed and spend the night absorbing.

Also, there is something to be said for engaging the younger generation and making them want to read. Anything that does this can't be such a bad thing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think it's great for young kids to get into. I'll admit I probably read much crappier stuff when I was that age. So many adults though...it reminds of an article about modern Japanese culture going through a "no adult" crisis. This is an interpretation from several Japanese economists/sociologists involving the demoralizing loss in WWII and subsequent dependance on the US to recover. (long story, so I won't elaborate) Nowadays, you see middle-aged men and women in suits, reading their manga and anime-porn while on the train. Playing video games, watching kids' shows....etc. And it's apparently quite prevalent.

yeah, and don't give me any bullshit about manga and anything related to that culture being "mature."

This reminds me of this strange addiction to the Harry Potter world, and while I'm not exactly frightened by it, it is a bit disturbing.
For example, compare letters from soldiers written in the Civil War up to WW2, to today's letters from soldiers. disturbing loss of literacy...