Why the fascination with Harry Potter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
I think you're fascinated with Harry Potter. Anyways have a nice two days off. We probably won't miss you a whole lot.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
What's with Lifers calling for ban? I would think with all their posts, they would realized that you will only get ban if you create another thread about the "Final" HP book.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: crystal
What's with Lifers calling for ban? I would think with all their posts, they would realized that you will only get ban if you create another thread about the "Final" HP book.

`(Lifer -> Smart)

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006

Actually if you read the sticky it says "the only HP thread allowed on OT for the time being."

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Ban b/c this poster is just a troll.

If AT enforces banning for a little trolling - more than half members would get some vacation.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mxrider

Actually if you read the sticky it says "the only HP thread allowed on OT for the time being."

actaully if you read it says the only final HP book thread allowed (or something like that)

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Another "A lot of people are enjoying something so I need to bring them down" thread.

You mean an iThread ? ;)

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy

actaully if you read it says the only final HP book thread allowed (or something like that)

In the post in the 1st paragraph last line it says word for word this will be the only Harry Potter thread allowed on OT for the time being

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999

In the post in the 1st paragraph last line it says word for word this will be the only Harry Potter thread allowed on OT for the time being

Cut and pastes from sticky.

The Only Harry Potter Final Book Thread allowed in OT

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

fine read the thread title. "The Only Harry Potter Final Book Thread allowed in OT"

this is not about the FINAL book.

and last paragraph in the thrad. "3) This thread is still the only discussion thread for the last Harry Potter book. Do not start a new thread, because lock and vacation are still in place. Keeping this thread for just this purpose makes it easier to moderate plus these participants don't feel like they are walking into unknown territory. "

AGAIN LAST HARRY POTTER BOOK.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I like star wars, I like lord of the rings, I like good stories. I hate the Harry Potter books and movies. They're just f'ing retarded.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: GuideBot
I like star wars, I like lord of the rings, I like good stories. I hate the Harry Potter books and movies. They're just f'ing retarded.

Why are they retarded? How is Star Wars not equally retarded?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Imp
I haven't read it before, and am pretty confident that it's good/well written. Little boy wizards not my idea of fun. However, I still think there's way too much hype for the book/movies. At least it helps sales...

it's the opposite, actually. it's well written enough so that people don't have to guess what's going on...but so is Stephen King :p There is certianly nothing clever, or original about the writing.

it's a simple, predictable story that is understandably appealing to children. I can only fathom that adults find it appealing because so many of them also found DaVinci Code appealing (engaging story, but simple, hackneyed writing more cliche'd than a Mel Brooks joke...no offense to Mel Brooks)...

I think you can find Harry Potter in grocery stores, no? that explains a lot....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: wnangle
WOW - I'm so glad someone had the guts to start a thread like this. My 9 year old son is very in to Harry Potter. I think that is great. He wants to see the movies too, which I think is great. Is a book written on a 4th grade level also written for adults? I don't think so. I started to watch one of the Harry Potter movies with my son one evening and will have to admit, after about 15 minutes I was bored senseless and could not quite understand what my 9 year old found so fascinating. It appears to me that adults are reverting back to their 4th and 5th grade childhood with these stories and want to be found 'KOOL' with the younger group. Just my opinion.

that, and they don't realize that their reading level, for an "adult" is piss poor.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I haven't read it before, and am pretty confident that it's good/well written. Little boy wizards not my idea of fun. However, I still think there's way too much hype for the book/movies. At least it helps sales...
I'm on this exact boat too...

Plus I don't read anyway.

CatKillaZ

Banned
Jul 9, 2007
I do not see how this topic is more trolling than any other on this board?

Examples...

coffee upsets my stomach

Got a call from Sprint, I suspect it's a scam

$55 too much for a flashlight

OMG It's RAINING!!

Weight lifting question: Smith machine for squats

Either way, I really don't care what everyone here thinks..

Then, if you're asking a question, but don't care what people's answers are, how is that not trolling? -DrP

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
personally I put this in the same category as anime. To me, it's retarded, but if someone likes it, then so be it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I used to ask the OP's exact same question about Nascar. How on earth can someone watch left turn, left turn, go straight, left turn, left turn, go straight,...

Then I realized one day: different people have different interests! Some people like football, some people like Nascar. Some people would rather collect wildflowers. People have all sorts of different hobbies to help them enjoy their days better. Sometimes they spend a little money on their hobbies, sometimes they spend a lot of money on their hobbies. And, if your hobby is reading books of any particular genre, then it would really suck if someone told you the ending before you could even get a chance to purchase it.

btw, OP, what's your hobby?

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I cannot get into Harry Potter at all. My youngest likes it, but it just does not interest me.

StartingLine

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
Originally posted by: zinfamous

it's the opposite, actually. it's well written enough so that people don't have to guess what's going on...but so is Stephen King :p There is certianly nothing clever, or original about the writing.

it's a simple, predictable story that is understandably appealing to children. I can only fathom that adults find it appealing because so many of them also found DaVinci Code appealing (engaging story, but simple, hackneyed writing more cliche'd than a Mel Brooks joke...no offense to Mel Brooks)...

I think you can find Harry Potter in grocery stores, no? that explains a lot....

stating jk rowling is at the level of stephen king is pretty insulting. I cant really think of any Stephen King novel that is at the 4th grade level or lord help you what Stephen King books do you want your 4th grader to read lol.

Oct 4, 2004
I just read a bit of the first book when it first came out and the hype machine went into overdrive. Just read the first hundred pages at a boring party and forgot to ask if I could take it home with me. Then I forgot about it and never bothered finishing it. Didn't see any of the movies either. Magic, wizards, spells and dragons just isn't my kind of thing and turns me off - the only reason I have never played any of the must-play RPGs.

Why is the series hyper-popular? I don't know but I trust the millions of people that swear it's really good. FWIW, there are B-list celebrities that probably have more websites dedicated to them than Harry Potter. And it's nice that a book can be such a grand success without being controversial and pissing off half the world *cough* Dan Brown *cough*.

Besides, it's hard to complain about a book that has captured the imagination of the MTV-generation, notorious for having the attention-spans of goldfish.