Why should we give NY 60Billion for Hurricane victims?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
your situation is not the same, the law requires the scope to be large, your driveway doesn't qualify. I have to question anyone who compares cracks in their driveway to the devastation of hurricane sandy.

which is bullshit.

If you and your like care about American people why does the scope have to be big?

If I lose my house due to a natural disaster, but no one else around me does, I'm out the same amount of money, as if my entire city gets leveled.

But in the later case, my benevolent government will bail me out, while in the former I'm SOL.

shouldn't government not discriminate against its citizens?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
which is bullshit.

If you and your like care about American people why does the scope have to be big?

If I lose my house due to a natural disaster, but no one else around me does, I'm out the same amount of money, as if my entire city gets leveled.

But in the later case, my benevolent government will bail me out, while in the former I'm SOL.

If you don't like the current law, pass a new one that covers you!

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
which is bullshit.

write your congressman

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
ahh, so you really don't care about doing whats right, just whats legal.

Does the law require us to help ny/nj? if it doesn't then we don't have to help them. though beans

No I think broad disasters affecting multitudes of people are different than your house or driveway, you have private insurance to help with the cost of individual loss, when the loss is so great it impacts millions it should be treated differently.

Your the one with the issue and unfairness of it all, I disagree with you, the law happens to agree with me, so if you don't like it write your congressman.

One more straw man false equivalence and you'll be the first on the 2013 ignore list. if thats a badge you want to earn for being so unrealistically stupid on here so be it.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
No I think broad disasters affecting multitudes of people are different than your house or driveway, you have private insurance to help with the cost of individual loss, when the loss is so great it impacts millions it should be treated differently.

Your the one with the issue and unfairness of it all, I disagree with you, the law happens to agree with me, so if you don't like it write your congressman.

One more straw man false equivalence and you'll be the first on the 2013 ignore list. if thats a badge you want to earn for being so unrealistically stupid on here so be it.

so then in ny/nj the residents should call there insurer to help out. Just like I would.

oh they don't have it. darn. sorry you tired to save 10 bucks a year. guess you lost

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
Why should we pay for disaster relief when people get wiped out by tornadoes or earthquakes or hurricanes on the Gulf?

You don't genius, we buy insurance. Federal funds are only used for infrastructure (roads and bridges), not rebuilding private property!

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
so then in ny/nj the residents should call there insurer to help out. Just like I would.

oh they don't have it. darn. sorry you tired to save 10 bucks a year. guess you lost

I don't think your stupid and don't get it, I think your willfully obtuse and obfuscate on purpose. congrats on being the frist, you had some stiff competition.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
You don't genius, we buy insurance. Federal funds are only used for infrastructure (roads and bridges), not rebuilding private property!

that's just a lie. theres billions in their for fema, billions for hud, etc etc. all agencies that give money directly to private citizens for their private property.

just a bunch of pigs lining up at the through wanting to be fed for by someone else. Christie doesn't even need a costume

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I don't think your stupid and don't get it, I think your willfully obtuse and obfuscate on purpose. congrats on being the frist, you had some stiff competition.

I just find it sickening that we use disasters to pass bad spending bills, under the excuse of helping people.

I find it sickening that if something bad happens to a large number of people, their responsibility goes away and now the collective has to bail them out. But if one person has something bad happen, then all you bleeding hearts go away, throw those people to the curb.

So if ny/nj has responsible people, and are this huge economic force as you and others claim they are, then they should pay for their shit. And disaster funds should be used for those that don't have the means to help themselves.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
what about us tax payers that want to help fund the rebuilding etc?
Those of us with a different view on the role of the fed government in disasters that pay tax?

don't worry. this idea of not helping ny/nj is complete nonsense.

the $60 billion will happen, the only lesson we can learn is just how big of a jerk people like Boehner and some Republicans are.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
don't worry. this idea of not helping ny/nj is complete nonsense.

the $60 billion will happen, the only lesson we can learn is just how big of a jerk people like Boehner and some Republicans are.

did you know that the republicans in the house already passed 27 billion dollar bill to help you leeches out?

why not complain to reid and the libs in the senate they aren't helping you out?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
But I'm not asking for $60B. I'm asking for a much smaller amount, for exactly the same thing. It is entirely foreseeable that when you put up siding, after a certain number of years, it degrades. It is entirely foreseeable that when you put down a driveway or garage floor, and then put young trees next to them, that those trees if left in time to get big, will eventually bust up the concrete.

None of this is any different than what NY and NJ has done on a much larger scale. All of these people, businesses, Leaders, and Politicians knew over the decades that by living on the coast, they're going to eventually get hit by a large storm. They know that this large and severe storm is going to cause them large amounts of expensive damage.

Now they want Fed money to rebuild what nature destroyed. I simply want exactly the same thing. My situation is exactly the same as theirs. Heck, I'm even asking for way less money! Why can't I, and everyone else affected by foreseeable natural events, get money like they're getting? Where's my slice of the neverending money pie?

Chuck

my roof will need replacing sometime soon. I'm pretty sure weather caused it. wheres my hand out.

I care about new York about as much as those d-bags care about the rest of the country.

And of course they'll get the money. the lMSM is based their, and there's no way they would allow anyone to not give them a handout.

http://www.fema.gov/apply-assistance

There you go, have at it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

No they didn't but I am sure that they are very grateful for your tax dollars. If you post your address I will be sure to have them send you a thank you card.

I bet that a good Christian fellow like you would have your heart filled with joy upon reading the first letter from a person that helped in their time of need.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
which is bullshit.

Because it is a national security issue to unfuck an entire city that has been fucked. Your house alone, not so much.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
did you know that the republicans in the house already passed 27 billion dollar bill to help you leeches out?

why not complain to reid and the libs in the senate they aren't helping you out?

The House and the Senate have to pass the same Bill. Republicans and Democrats, from the Senate and House, working together crafted the Bill that passed the Senate and would have passed the House, if it had been brought up for a vote.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
The House and the Senate have to pass the same Bill. Republicans and Democrats, from the Senate and House, working together crafted the Bill that passed the Senate and would have passed the House, if it had been brought up for a vote.

deflection.

if the money was so important, then the senate would take the house bill and pass it asap.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Because it is a national security issue to unfuck an entire city that has been fucked. Your house alone, not so much.

Somehow it appears that new York and nj outside of trying to pork it up are going ok and not posing any security problems.

But you wouldn't lie about the actual problem to get more money. naww

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
No they didn't but I am sure that they are very grateful for your tax dollars. If you post your address I will be sure to have them send you a thank you card.

I bet that a good Christian fellow like you would have your heart filled with joy upon reading the first letter from a person that helped in their time of need.

I doubt New Yorkers would be grateful, they'd probably spit on the money and say it wasn't enough.

One of the most self centered self important people in the world