Why should we give NY 60Billion for Hurricane victims?

Dec 10, 2005
Why should we pay for disaster relief when people get wiped out by tornadoes or earthquakes or hurricanes on the Gulf? Maybe we should tell those people to also f*ck off. :rolleyes:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

May 13, 2009
Why should we pay for disaster relief when people get wiped out by tornadoes or earthquakes or hurricanes on the Gulf? Maybe we should tell those people to also f*ck off. :rolleyes:

Like he said. If you took risk of not carrying insurance then sorry about your luck. Tornado or hurricane. I have no problem giving out sandwiches and drinks but no I will not cut you a check because you were too f'ing ignorant to protect yourself.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Because there's more in there than paying for peoples homes, and no state has the money to cover it.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Even if some of them had national flood insurance how idiotic is it for taxpayers to foot the bill to rebuild in the same locations that will experience the same flooding at some time in the future. Millionaires getting their homes rebulit on the shoreline at taxpayers expense is just welfare for the rich. We should do away with the national flood insurance program altogether and maybe the idiots will quit building in flood prone areas.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Pay 60 Billion once, or pay potentially a lot more over many more years for people being homeless, jobless and out of work for a long time because they have no place to call home.

I'm not saying it's fair, but it could suck a lot worse.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Even if some of them had national flood insurance how idiotic is it for taxpayers to foot the bill to rebuild in the same locations that will experience the same flooding at some time in the future. Millionaires getting their homes rebulit on the shoreline at taxpayers expense is just welfare for the rich. We should do away with the national flood insurance program altogether and maybe the idiots will quit building in flood prone areas.
I would agree with that, but the funds are for a lot more than just rebuilding people's summer homes on the shore.

repairing the NYC/NJ subway and train systems, for example.

Tylanner

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2004
Yes, it looks like a lot, but the fact is that taking a few bucks from every citizen and giving it to a few displaced people, but not necessarily poorest or most worthy among us, will benefit the nation as a whole. Stability and normalcy is essential to maintaining a functional economy not to mention a growing one.

I know people here in NJ that have been given on the order of $2,000 to $5,000 checks in the name of disaster relief. They have been living on our couch for the past 2 months or so, but are not really struggling. They do have thousands in repair costs just from a flooded basement...which is far less damaging than any of their neighbors.

In the end, does this heavy influx of money to the Northeast seem fair? Yes and no.

Could we spend 60 million in better ways, to more worthy people? Yes

Are there a ****ton of repair costs to homes/businesses in an area where such a disaster was not predicted/expected? Yes

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
Pay 60 Billion once, or pay potentially a lot more over many more years for people being homeless, jobless and out of work for a long time because they have no place to call home.

I'm not saying it's fair, but it could suck a lot worse.

Well that's why they saved all that money that would of went to insurance and put it in a savings account. Oh you spent it on iPads and iPhones? Tough shit.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

i live in areas with tornadoes. if we get hit the government will not help. that is why i have insurance on my house.

i have little to no sympathy for those that didn't have insurance.

I have no trouble paying taxes to help rebuild the schools, roads, clean up etc. but to rebuild someones home or business? fuck no.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I grew up right near the Texas gulf coast. I went through one major Hurricane and one major flood. The Government didn’t come around cutting checks to everyone. If you didn’t have insurance, you were screwed. Up until now that was the risk you took living near the coast. Now we are just going to throw personal responsibility out the window. The Government will take care of everything.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Obviously we shouldn't give them money because they're Blue States. No real Americans live there, like, say, in Louisiana or Alabama. They're just a bunch of welfare mooches.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Well that's why they saved all that money that would of went to insurance and put it in a savings account. Oh you spent it on iPads and iPhones? Tough shit.
I would agree with that, but the funds are for a lot more than just rebuilding people's summer homes on the shore.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

true. and i agree with repairing the stuff that is needed. The public stuff should be repaired at taxpayer expense.

where i have issue is the grants that will be given to homeowners and business owners.

D

Deleted member 4644

If you did not pay for insurance on your home why should taxpayers fund you for the damages? All the years of not paying insurance should have been saved if you were planning to self insure.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100348216

Because the people of the State of New York have been paying tax money to help those in less prosperous states for oh... about 200 years.

It's called the United States of America for a reason.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Shouldn't the government agencies who own those subway and train systems have their own insurance?

Why should the taxpayers of the USA be responsible for the costs of irresponsible government agencies?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
We should do away with the national flood insurance program altogether and maybe the idiots will quit building in flood prone areas.

Insurance itself isn't the problem. Insurance premiums that don't accurately reflect the risk being insured against is a problem. I don't know enough about the national flood insurance program to say whether this is the case here...I was always under the impression that it's the use of public funds to rebuild houses for people who DIDN'T get flood insurance that is controversial.

Why should the taxpayers of the USA be responsible for the costs of irresponsible government agencies?

Heh.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I think the relief should be 10 - 15 billion to start and increase if necessary after reviewing how much more would be required to restore public infrastructure. As for personal recovery loans (low interest) they should routed through/approved by FEMA.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Oh wow, I live next to the ocean, so maybe I need flood insurance???

Flood insurance does not cost that much.

One of my problems with giving this money is a lot of the pictures of damaged houses are on the Jersey shore. First you had to be rich to afford to buy or build a house on shorefront property, then you are rich so if you did not have the money for flood insurance go to hell. Did I mention, you must be rich to own shorefront property???

My heart goes out to those people who had all their houses burn down. However they should have had insurance. That is what FEMA is for. Dont expect the federal government to pay you 100% of your property value either. Just remember how things went in the flood of 93! Did the federal goverment give illinois 60 billion? I dont really know, but I dont remember that.

This is not any different than those idiots who just have to live along the Mississippi River. It floods once in a while so either move or shut up.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Oh wow, I live next to the ocean, so maybe I need flood insurance???

Flood insurance does not cost that much.

One of my problems with giving this money is a lot of the pictures of damaged houses are on the Jersey shore. First you had to be rich to afford to buy or build a house on shorefront property, then you are rich so if you did not have the money for flood insurance go to hell. Did I mention, you must be rich to own shorefront property???

My heart goes out to those people who had all their houses burn down. However they should have had insurance. That is what FEMA is for. Dont expect the federal government to pay you 100% of your property value either. Just remember how things went in the flood of 93! Did the federal goverment give illinois 60 billion? I dont really know, but I dont remember that.

This is not any different than those idiots who just have to live along the Mississippi River. It floods once in a while so either move or shut up.
why are you focusing on flooded homes?

a large portion of this money is to repair bridges/tunnels/roads and pay for the overtime that fire/police/emergency services had to work... if the local state government can't pay for it, that seems like part of the contract of the United States.

why else would NJ be paying out more in federal tax dollars than it gets back to support all the welfare states out there?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That is what you get when you build trains systems below sea level. New york people are such snobs about people in the midwest, so why shoud the midwest pay for New York? Let the rich snobs solve their own problems. Along the Mississippi we have flood gates. So they are not smart enough to have flood gates? Why do you build a subway under a river?

Last edited:

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Just saw some of the christie presser wow did he go after the house GOP.

I think if any money is used for those who did not buy flood insurance to rebuild homes that is crap. They made the choice and took the risk and should not be bailed out. Also on national flood insurance the most you should be able to collect on a total loss is once. If you choose to rebuild at the same location you should assume the risk not the tax payers.