Why should we give NY 60Billion for Hurricane victims?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Speaking of self-centered people, have you looked in a mirror lately?

not wanting to waste money is making me self centered. Hardly.

the people in new York that consider the middle of the country fly over waste land, now want our help? that's a good one.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Why should someone from New York or New Jersey die in Afghanistan for some other state? Oh the mind boggles. . .

you mean you had a brain fart right? Anyone who goes off to war for no good reason isn't a hero . If president orders a war without congress . That war is unjustified . If innocent people die that order becomes murder . Its so easy to kill innocent people and than want a pat on the back . If you enlist your either poor or law made you enlist or what ever reason . A war like nam . thats not war . Its murder Iraq same thing shameless murder. Remember whan Obummer said . You didn't build That . But in the 2012 election Obama said I got osoma . Obama wasn't anywhere around the action . He did not fire the gun or fly the chopper . Obama you didn't get osama . Someone else did . LOL when a man like this sits in the seat of power . Only bad things can come of it. To top it off the man who actually got osama a doctor I believe was not given the 25,000,000 reward but a prison cell was his reward . SAD sad country I live in . A hollow place that lacks honor and integrity

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
idiot.

wasting federal taxpayer money is not jealousy. Its higher leave thinking, something you emotional sheep are unable to understand.

That's why you're whining about how mean New Yorkers are to the poor, picked on flyover. Because that's really highly related to taxpayer money.

Chances are good that your state enjoys a better standard of living thanks to the money New York gives you every year. When it comes time to pay a little back, look who cries.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I live in Mn and I tell ya something . We pay our own way . My state taxes are high . but most our State workers at least work and it shows cleanest state in the union best people also . anything east of the mississippi is boarder land dead country. The people are shallow and completely corrupted. Sure there are exceptions . As I am witness to the evil and the eastern mobsters . May justice come to you swiftly be it by Gods hand and in full payment.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
That's why you're whining about how mean New Yorkers are to the poor, picked on flyover. Because that's really highly related to taxpayer money.

Chances are good that your state enjoys a better standard of living thanks to the money New York gives you every year. When it comes time to pay a little back, look who cries.

Wisconsin pays out more then it takes in idiot.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Why should we pay for disaster relief when people get wiped out by tornadoes or earthquakes or hurricanes on the Gulf? Maybe we should tell those people to also f*ck off. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, if we did, they would finally change the building codes to force people to build domiciles that would withstand the hurricanes and tornadoes?

Prior to 1977, Guam (US territory) was hit with a number of typhoons, including two "super" typhoons, which essentially wiped the island clean of many of the private homes, that had been built of wood. The local government decided that enough was enough, and worked with the banks and insurance companies, to pass laws that discouraged the rebuilding of houses, unless they were built with reinforced concrete (which can easily withstand hours of punishment by winds in excess of 200mph).

Nowadays, you basically cannot get affordable insurance on a house that's built with wood......and without insurance, you cannot get a bank loan to build it. You still see some people build small houses with wood (which also has the problem of rotting more quickly in the tropical atmosphere, as well as getting eaten up by termites), but as soon as a typhoon comes through, they evacuate, and come back to splinters.....then call on FEMA for a low interest loan to rebuild, and build with concrete (not so stupid after all, are they??).

Wooden structures simply will NOT withstand hurricane or tornado force winds. Mobile homes simply get shredded (they are, after all, only built with aluminum frame & skin, above the frame). Reinforced concrete is not inexpensive by any means, but modern building methods have made it affordable, and combined with laminated glass windows (shatter resistant) or storm shutters (which simply block debris from getting to the windows), they should withstand the minutes of high strength tornadic winds, or the hours of (relatively) lower strength hurricane winds.

Dec 10, 2005
Perhaps, if we did, they would finally change the building codes to force people to build domiciles that would withstand the hurricanes and tornadoes?

Maybe we could build those stipulations into the aid money that's handed or loaned out.

Regardless of the merits of such ideas, Sandy was an unprecedented storm for the Northeast and there isn't a good reason to be holding up this money.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I doubt New Yorkers would be grateful, they'd probably spit on the money and say it wasn't enough.

One of the most self centered self important people in the world

damn who pissed in you cherrios? why do you have such a hardon for this issue.

I would MUCH rather see billions sent to help out FELLOW AMERICANS and community than see billions sent off to shit holes like Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan and every other shit hole the American tax money goes toward.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I live in Mn and I tell ya something . We pay our own way . My state taxes are high . but most our State workers at least work and it shows cleanest state in the union best people also . anything east of the mississippi is boarder land dead country. The people are shallow and completely corrupted. Sure there are exceptions . As I am witness to the evil and the eastern mobsters . May justice come to you swiftly be it by Gods hand and in full payment.

Holy fucking deliverance batman.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
idiot.

wasting federal taxpayer money is not jealousy. Its higher leave thinking, something you emotional sheep are unable to understand.

its funny seeing a dumbshit like yourself call other people sheep. I shouldn't expect more from someone like you though, lazy people like yourself can't be expected to accomplish or understand things, thats why we have wisconsin.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The storm caused $50-60 Billion total damage to both private and public property. Paying $60 Billion to fix only the Government property damage is just more pork/stimulus. If you are against spending this money then you don't care about the people effected by the storm, even though this money is going to the Government.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
don't worry. this idea of not helping ny/nj is complete nonsense.

the $60 billion will happen, the only lesson we can learn is just how big of a jerk people like Boehner and some Republicans are.

The main objection to this bill isn't "helping out NY/NJ," it's all the fucking pork tacked on to this "relief bill."

It's not often that I agree with the Republicans...but on this, we're definitely in agreement.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion...cle_e6d07cac-9617-50b7-a0d4-ae16ab391ebf.html

The new “crisis” that grabbed the Washington spotlight away from the fiscal cliff Wednesday offers the perfect illustration of why our nation is slouching toward fiscal disaster.

We refer to the bipartisan fury from lawmakers in Northeastern states battered by Hurricane Sandy over House Speaker John Boehner’s decision not to vote on a $60 billion relief measure this Tuesday that had been approved by the Senate. Republicans were Boehner’s harshest critics, led by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Rep. Peter King.

Boehner didn’t hold up the relief measure because he’s a mean man who wants the suffering to continue in devastated areas. He did so because the $60 billion was larded with pork-barrel projects unrelated to storm damage. Here’s a very short list:

• $13 billion for large infrastructure projects that we are assured would “mitigate” damage from future storms.

• $10.8 billion for public transportation, almost entirely for future projects, not disaster relief.

• $207 million for the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Manhattan Medical Center.

• $199 million in tax breaks for rum makers.

• $188 million for upgrading, not repairing, Amtrak rail lines.

• $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to provide fisheries in Alaska.

• $100 million for a federal day-care program.

• $57 million for tracking debris from the 2011 Japanese tsunami.

• $20 million for a national “water priorities” study.

• $8 million to buy vehicles and equipment for the departments of Justice and Homeland Security.

Remember, this is just the short version of the pork list. Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, says a bill that focused solely on Hurricane Sandy relief would be less than half of $60 billion.

That’s just the bill Congress should pass – with matching cuts in existing federal spending to keep down the deficit. That’s just the bill Congress would pass – were it run by responsible adults who could do sixth-grade math and who didn’t want to bequeath their children and grandchildren with crushing government debt.

But instead, most Democrats and too many Republicans just want to rev up the presses and print more money.

The Senate measure is just the latest sign that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., is fundamentally unserious about curbing spending. President Barack Obama’s support of the pork-laden bill, combined with his refusal to go along with any budget cuts in the fiscal cliff talks, is even worse.

For years, the president has said that spending has to be brought in line with available revenue. But instead of laying out the options for the public and starting a needed national debate on how to change our course, Obama has chosen to pretend that the crisis could be resolved if only rich people paid more in taxes.

The president got higher taxes on the rich in the fiscal cliff showdown. Now will he stop the pretending and finally seek to limit federal spending? Unfortunately, given Obama’s embrace of Reid’s relief-bill porkfest, it’s impossible to be optimistic.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
• $13 billion for large infrastructure projects that we are assured would “mitigate” damage from future storms.

• $10.8 billion for public transportation, almost entirely for future projects, not disaster relief.

• $207 million for the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Manhattan Medical Center.

• $199 million in tax breaks for rum makers.

• $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to provide fisheries in Alaska.

• $100 million for a federal day-care program.

• $57 million for tracking debris from the 2011 Japanese tsunami.

• $20 million for a national “water priorities” study.

• $8 million to buy vehicles and equipment for the departments of Justice and Homeland Security.

Yep, that's really helping the disaster stricken people. Never let a good tragedy go to waste.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
It appears that Boomer and Matt are on the same email chain list. How many FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FWs did you need to remove from your daily talking point before ctrl-c, ctrl-v'ing it here?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
It appears that Boomer and Matt are on the same email chain list. How many FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FWs did you need to remove from your daily talking point before ctrl-c, ctrl-v'ing it here?

So you deny the pork exists?

oh thats right, when you got nothing just go on a personal attack.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

None...I have the intelligence to go find the info myself.

I'm a life-long Democrat...I've NEVER voted for any candidate with (R) attached to the name...but jeezus-fucking-christ...Pass the Sandy Relief Bill...but leave all the fucking pork on the table.

Shit like that should be passed/rejected on its own merits/faults...not shoved into a bill that should be passed...and calling out the congressmen/women who question it because of the pork is stupid.

It's too bad "We the People" don't have a mechanism to force Congress to stop loading otherwise good legislation with pork.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

These are for repair/protection/hardening of the listed items, entirely related to the disaster.

So we're really looking at 500M ish of pork (less than 1%).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
None...I have the intelligence to go find the info myself.

I'm a life-long Democrat...I've NEVER voted for any candidate with (R) attached to the name...but jeezus-fucking-christ...Pass the Sandy Relief Bill...but leave all the fucking pork on the table.

Shit like that should be passed/rejected on its own merits/faults...not shoved into a bill that should be passed...and calling out the congressmen/women who question it because of the pork is stupid.

It's too bad "We the People" don't have a mechanism to force Congress to stop loading otherwise good legislation with pork.

The amount of pork actually appears to be fairly minimal. Conservatives are counting any money spent that would upgrade assets damaged in the storm to be able to withstand conditions as wasteful spending. Government policy has never been to just restore the systems to the pre-storm condition and wait for it to fail yet again.