Why should we give NY 60Billion for Hurricane victims?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Who is this majority? Because about 1 person out of the couple dozen I know, who is flaming liberal, think NY/NJ should be getting Fed dollars to the tune of $60B. That is from family Christmas party this past weekend where this very subject came up.

By the majority I mean most people, everyone I know was pissed they didn't pass it. The only people I have found against it are on internet forums.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
This may be hard to believe, but there are a lot of people that don't give a F about NY/NJ, just as we know NY/NJ doesn't give a F about the rest of us.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
This may be hard to believe, but there are a lot of people that don't give a F about NY/NJ, just as we know NY/NJ doesn't give a F about the rest of us.

Good thing the country doesn't actually work this way.

I have $100 that says they get the money

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
By the majority I mean most people, everyone I know was pissed they didn't pass it. The only people I have found against it are on internet forums.

Well, you're in luck. Yourself and everyone you know can simply write your checks, mail them off, and whammo, instant money where you want it spent. Doesn't get any better than that! :thumbsup:

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Well, you're in luck. Yourself and everyone you know can simply write your checks, mail them off, and whammo, instant money where you want it spent. Doesn't get any better than that! :thumbsup:

Already wrote my check when I paid my taxes last year and will be doing it again this year.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sucker bet, of course they're going to get it. Doesn't mean they should, but, they'll get it.

they will get it because they should get it, despite your misgivings about it.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
why should NJ only get back $0.60 for every federal tax dollar it pays?

Redistribution of wealth is a tenet of the left which NJ is mostly comprised of. They wouldn't have it any other way.

Sorry couldn't resist, as a resident that lives on the Gulf Coast I am more than happy to help, via both my personal money and time as well as my tax dollars, my fellow countrymen after they are hit by a massive natural disaster.

You don't just write off huge areas in the country after a natural disaster. When really bad shit happens to your fellow countrymen you help them out, its simply the right thing to do. Ironically I bet the vast majority of the people against this are so called "Christians". I wonder if Jesus would say "fuck those assholes"?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

No its not surprising but I don't think we should be listening to people who don't give a F about our country about how we should run said country.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
No its not surprising but I don't think we should be listening to people who don't give a F about our country about how we should run said country.

If you're electing people to government on their platform of refusing to govern (i.e. members of the Tea Party) this is exactly what you get.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
they will get it because they should get it, despite your misgivings about it.

Right, they're entitled to it. Can you let me know when the Fed bux will be getting here for my driveway crack, and garage floor cracks, and siding? I'm entitled to that too, so I want my money.

Why are you replying to me? I've already said the should get Fed assistance, to the degree they need it, if they actually need it. So far we've seen them going begging, but signing up for little. Exactly what is the total that NY/NJ has signed up themselves to fund on their own reconstruction? Exactly what was the amount they were seeking in loans and could not secure?

Chuck

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Right, they're entitled to it. Can you let me know when the Fed bux will be getting here for my driveway crack, and garage floor cracks, and siding? I'm entitled to that too, so I want my money.

Why are you replying to me? I've already said the should get Fed assistance, to the degree they need it, if they actually need it. So far we've seen them going begging, but signing up for little. Exactly what is the total that NY/NJ has signed up themselves to fund on their own reconstruction? Exactly what was the amount they were seeking in loans and could not secure?

Chuck

there is no act passed by lawmakers as an avenue for your driveway crack relief. But I forgot you only care about what laws have been passed since the founders were around.

I am fine with making sure the money is needed and that it goes where its intended.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
When we got rocked by Katrina, there were a lot of similar questions:

Why do these idiots live along the gulf?
Why should we pay to rebuild their homes and infrastructure?
Why weren't they better prepared?

We used to joke that no one would ask these questions if a hurricane hit the Northeast. It's disheartening to see that they are indeed being asked.

I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw this thread. First thing that popped into my head was "holy shit there are at least a few people bitching that NY is getting help after a hurricane". Then again, I haven't really seen it on national TV like I did the "don't bother rebuilding New Orleans" stuff even though the vast majority of New Orleans damage was caused by the Federal Government and not necessarily Katrina.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Yes, but, a natural disaster for me cracked my driveway. It was a disaster. The garage floor, brought on by another foreseeable natural act, is also messed up. Obviously, this causes me some kind of pain/stress, and, since it was a natural act, the Fed needs to pay. Surely I get Fed money right? I've met the criteria, where is my Fed dough?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
do you know they wouldn't?

since you don't then you cant make the claim its not insurable

Yes, we do know they won't for the same reason that no insurance company will or does insure nuclear reactors. The potential loss is simply to large and virtually impossible to calculate. If some company WAS retarded enough to insure it they would go out of business the very first claim leaving them in the exact same position.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yes, but, a natural disaster for me cracked my driveway. It was a disaster. The garage floor, brought on by another foreseeable natural act, is also messed up. Obviously, this causes me some kind of pain/stress, and, since it was a natural act, the Fed needs to pay. Surely I get Fed money right? I've met the criteria, where is my Fed dough?

Are you seriously comparing a cracked driveway to a monster of a hurricane (size wise not strength, no offense New Yorkers but we consider that a rain storm and have parties for Cat 1s lol) that probably effected a good 1/10 of the entire population?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Don't care, I'm not asking for $60B. I'm simply asking for Fed money for a few things that occurred because of nature and were perfectly foreseeable. Now, I want my Fed money. When is it coming, because I've met the same requirements NY/NJ residents met. When can I expect my check?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Chuck

Sigh...... Ok, like it or not we live in a nation in which the Federal Government is rather large. They collect a ton of GDP in taxes leaving states with somewhat limited means of generating revenue. Its not a good idea to allow an entire state to get into a horrendously worse financial situation after they just got buttfucked by a hurricane. We all lose if we did that.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Don't care, I'm not asking for $60B. I'm simply asking for Fed money for a few things that occurred because of nature and were perfectly foreseeable. Now, I want my Fed money. When is it coming, because I've met the same requirements NY/NJ residents met. When can I expect my check?

You need to read the laws that deal with relief, I posted them above.
You don't qualify

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
But I'm not asking for $60B. I'm asking for a much smaller amount, for exactly the same thing. It is entirely foreseeable that when you put up siding, after a certain number of years, it degrades. It is entirely foreseeable that when you put down a driveway or garage floor, and then put young trees next to them, that those trees if left in time to get big, will eventually bust up the concrete.

None of this is any different than what NY and NJ has done on a much larger scale. All of these people, businesses, Leaders, and Politicians knew over the decades that by living on the coast, they're going to eventually get hit by a large storm. They know that this large and severe storm is going to cause them large amounts of expensive damage.

Now they want Fed money to rebuild what nature destroyed. I simply want exactly the same thing. My situation is exactly the same as theirs. Heck, I'm even asking for way less money! Why can't I, and everyone else affected by foreseeable natural events, get money like they're getting? Where's my slice of the neverending money pie?

Chuck

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
my roof will need replacing sometime soon. I'm pretty sure weather caused it. wheres my hand out.

I care about new York about as much as those d-bags care about the rest of the country.

And of course they'll get the money. the lMSM is based their, and there's no way they would allow anyone to not give them a handout.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
But I'm not asking for $60B. I'm asking for a much smaller amount, for exactly the same thing. It is entirely foreseeable that when you put up siding, after a certain number of years, it degrades. It is entirely foreseeable that when you put down a driveway or garage floor, and then put young trees next to them, that those trees if left in time to get big, will eventually bust up the concrete.

None of this is any different than what NY and NJ has done on a much larger scale. All of these people, businesses, Leaders, and Politicians knew over the decades that by living on the coast, they're going to eventually get hit by a large storm. They know that this large and severe storm is going to cause them large amounts of expensive damage.

Now they want Fed money to rebuild what nature destroyed. I simply want exactly the same thing. My situation is exactly the same as theirs. Heck, I'm even asking for way less money! Why can't I, and everyone else affected by foreseeable natural events, get money like they're getting? Where's my slice of the neverending money pie?

Chuck

your situation is not the same, the law requires the scope to be large, your driveway doesn't qualify. I have to question anyone who compares cracks in their driveway to the devastation of hurricane sandy.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I don't know what there is to question. I'm wanting Fed money for a (to me) significant cost I have to bear because of foreseeable natural causes. NY/NJ is wanting Fed money for a (to them) significant cost they need to bear because of foreseeable natural causes.

The scope is much smaller true, but, the money I'm asking for is the same ratio.

Now you're saying I don't deserve Fed funds? Why? My claim is too low? No problem! I'm sure if we add up everyone in the US affected by foreseeable natural causes not related to Sandy, we can easily hit $60B. Problem solved.

My checks in the mail right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know what there is to question. I'm wanting Fed money for a (to me) significant cost I have to bear because of foreseeable natural causes. NY/NJ is wanting Fed money for a (to them) significant cost they need to bear because of foreseeable natural causes.

The scope is much smaller true, but, the money I'm asking for is the same ratio.

Now you're saying I don't deserve Fed funds? Why? My claim is too low? No problem! I'm sure if we add up everyone in the US affected by foreseeable natural causes not related to Sandy, we can easily hit $60B. Problem solved.

My checks in the mail right?

Go get some legislation passed that would cover you and all that sweet sweet cash is yours! I'm not sure why you're asking this question. NY/NJ will get money because they are covered by relevant federal law. The crack in your driveway is not. If you want the crack in your driveway to be covered, pass a law.