Why does Trump get so exercised over black athletes peacefully protesting vs white nationalists?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have no problem with the initial protest or calling it unpatriotic. Of course the NFL was only going to act in their interest out of it. If Kapernick was a better player, things would have been different.

Trump's Twitter wars, however, are ridiculous and childish and comically far from anything relating to the office of President. Republicans should be telling Trump: "dude, WTF, let it go". Not that it would work, but it's disturbing how far people will stretch their sense of reasonable behavior to hold the image of a legit Trump presidency together.

Perhaps if Kaepernick were as good as Aaron Rodgers this would be different but he is absolutely good enough to be a backup QB for any team in the league and good enough to be a starter for more than a few.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
They should be able to take a knee for any reason and for no reason. If people are genuinely watching the NFL only so far as no players kneel during the national anthem then they weren't going to be watching much longer anyway.

Conservatives hate it when black people protest things. You will never find a case of black people protesting where conservatives aren't criticizing it, usually by saying 'if only they had protested by doing Y instead of X, then it would have been fine'. Every time, no matter what they do.

I agree with second part and disagree with the first part. I concur that conservatives have opposed black protests my entire life without a single exception that I can recall.

Regarding the first part, I believe the NFL will hurt itself in the long run if it allows protests for any reason. The NFL is usually platform for people to leave politics/worldviews behind. If it becomes an accepted platform for political speech, it would seem almost inevitable that it will alienate a portion (perhaps significant) of their fan base. There are so many entertainment options today that it seems likely to happen anyways. I once was a religious NFL fan but WOW and youtube have gutted that. I find it hard to watch a NFL game knowing that my hunter could be leading the DPS meters in a mythic ToS raid or knowing that I could be watching some serious Christian pwnage on youtube. The shared American experience (perhaps a myth of the past) is certainly a myth of the present.

PS. My WoW guild has an absolute ban on political/religious talk. You get kicked out of the guild on the 2nd infraction. This is in recognition that politics/religion are divisive.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Perhaps if Kaepernick were as good as Aaron Rodgers this would be different but he is absolutely good enough to be a backup QB for any team in the league and good enough to be a starter for more than a few.

What the hell happened to him though? He was unstoppable for a couple years and then inexplicably dropped into mediocrity.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
At this point, just stop playing the national anthem before the games. I don't go to other events like a concert and expect to hear it. Since the tradition has become so divisive, just stop doing it. Or at the very least, stop having live singers. And if you do have live singers, you should be allowed to designate someone to walk out and smack them on the back of the head if they pull that Whitney Houston-esque noodling shit on it. It's the National Anthem, not "I Will Always Love You". The anthem should not take 5 five minutes! "Banner" has two syllables, not five.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What the hell happened to him though? He was unstoppable for a couple years and then inexplicably dropped into mediocrity.

No, he was unstoppable for about 5 games, at the end of SF's incredible season that was really Alex Smith's season. Kaepernick was there to take Alex Smith's team to the SB and the inability for teams to plan against him, that late in the season against an incredibly good and extremely stout SF team made him look far better than he was.

He came back down to earth promptly during the following season. The guy has really good tools--athletically--but he's probably one of the dumbest QBs--or at least blindest--from the perspective of what is needed to play that position at that level.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, he was unstoppable for about 5 games, at the end of SF's incredible season that was really Alex Smith's season. Kaepernick was there to take Alex Smith's team to the SB and the inability for teams to plan against him, that late in the season against an incredibly good and extremely stout SF team made him look far better than he was.

He came back down to earth promptly during the following season. The guy has really good tools--athletically--but he's probably one of the dumbest QBs--or at least blindest--from the perspective of what is needed to play that position at that level.

He's not one of the best QBs in the league but he's above average. He's certainly better than more than one starting QB and most backups. It's basically unprecedented for someone as good as him to not have been signed by a team.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/colin-kaepernick-is-not-supposed-to-be-unemployed/

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
At this point, just stop playing the national anthem before the games. I don't go to other events like a concert and expect to hear it. Since the tradition has become so divisive, just stop doing it. Or at the very least, stop having live singers. And if you do have live singers, you should be allowed to designate someone to walk out and smack them on the back of the head if they pull that Whitney Houston-esque noodling shit on it. It's the National Anthem, not "I Will Always Love You". The anthem should not take 5 five minutes! "Banner" has two syllables, not five.

I see this suggestion quite a bit online. And while I don't disagree with it, do you REALLY think that is going to happen? Can you imagine the backlash from these over zealous, bandwagoning "patriots" if the anthem was completely removed?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

What happened was he was never all that great to begin with. He just confused opposing defenses for awhile before they caught on. He's really only good at running the ball. He can't throw worth crap.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not in the camp that he's at a fringe starter level, but I'm not sure it matters. Reality is, after the first tier of players at any position, there's no shortage of guys at the next level. Collin certainly has elite physical tools, but it isn't (apparently) enough to overcome the baggage. And don't forget his price tag. If he were in the first group of quarterbacks, he'd be playing in the league no doubt.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What happened was he was never all that great to begin with. He just confused opposing defenses for awhile before they caught on. He's really only good at running the ball. He can't throw worth crap.

His total QBR was above average for last year, meaning he was most likely better than the average QB playing last year. Maybe he's not the greatest QB ever but considering the number of teams that are desperate for decent quarterback play not signing him is insane.

Also, the idea that he can't throw worth crap is not particularly accurate either. In 2016 he was below average on completion percentage and YPA but he was far above average in TD/INT ratio. He's not the greatest passer ever but he's far, far from the worst.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not in the camp that he's at a fringe starter level, but I'm not sure it matters. Reality is, after the first tier of players at any position, there's no shortage of guys at the next level. Collin certainly has elite physical tools, but it isn't (apparently) enough to overcome the baggage. And don't forget his price tag. If he were in the first group of quarterbacks, he'd be playing in the league no doubt.

Nobody knows what Kaepernick's price tag is but he should probably be somewhere in the $3-5 million/year ballpark. There's no evidence he has been given such an offer and has rejected it. In fact as far as I know there's no evidence he's been given any offers at all.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
If dipshit hadn't tweeted about it, it wouldn't be a big deal. There was one, then a few guys doing it. Eventually it probably would have fizzled out, or at the least the media and public would get bored of the issue.

End of the day, if their employer is ok with it, and willing to accept the risk that the public will boycott or whatever....and there's nothing legally wrong with it---then that's it. Watch or don't watch if it bothers you.

You'd almost think that "conservatives" just love to have their controversial issues to froth at, and if the issue isn't controversial or big enough, just do what you have to do to inflame it. Trying to tell people who have a strong view about something that they aren't allowed to express themselves...yeah, that's the opposite of trying to get them to stop, and a sure-fire way to draw in others that might have been on the fence about it (as we just saw).

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
His total QBR was above average for last year, meaning he was most likely better than the average QB playing last year. Maybe he's not the greatest QB ever but considering the number of teams that are desperate for decent quarterback play not signing him is insane.

Also, the idea that he can't throw worth crap is not particularly accurate either. In 2016 he was below average on completion percentage and YPA but he was far above average in TD/INT ratio. He's not the greatest passer ever but he's far, far from the worst.

9ers fan here. I've only missed a handful of games since 1980. His problem is that he can't read defenses and if the primary receiver is covered, he just throws the ball away. He's good at doing that, which is why he doesn't throw many INT's. Yet his completion percentage isn't that great, nor is his yards per completion. His QBR last year was above average for backups, not for starters. He's qualified as a backup and it's possible he could be an upgrade at starter for a few teams, but he'd be one the low end of starters. It's too bad because it looked like he had tremendous promise.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If dipshit hadn't tweeted about it, it wouldn't be a big deal. There was one, then a few guys doing it. Eventually it probably would have fizzled out, or at the least the media and public would get bored of the issue.

End of the day, if their employer is ok with it, and willing to accept the risk that the public will boycott or whatever....and there's nothing legally wrong with it---then that's it. Watch or don't watch if it bothers you.

You'd almost think that "conservatives" just love to have their controversial issues to froth at, and if the issue isn't controversial or big enough, just do what you have to do to inflame it. Trying to tell people who have a strong view about something that they aren't allowed to express themselves...yeah, that's the opposite of trying to get them to stop, and a sure-fire way to draw in others that might have been on the fence about it (as we just saw).

I wonder how many of the people vowing to never watch the NFL again because somebody kneeled during the national anthem also complain about liberal snowflakes not wanting to be exposed to contrary ideas.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I wonder how many of the people vowing to never watch the NFL again because somebody kneeled during the national anthem also complain about liberal snowflakes not wanting to be exposed to contrary ideas.

No one who's a fan of any team is going to quit watching over that, no matter much they howl over it. It's like all the liberals saying they'd move to Canada if Trump is elected.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

MavericK96

Mar 21, 2009

A whole lot so far that I have seen, let me tell you.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Nobody knows what Kaepernick's price tag is but he should probably be somewhere in the $3-5 million/year ballpark. There's no evidence he has been given such an offer and has rejected it. In fact as far as I know there's no evidence he's been given any offers at all.

I thought his prior contract had bearing here. But I'm talking out of my ass in that regard, anyway.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
9ers fan here. I've only missed a handful of games since 1980. His problem is that he can't read defenses and if the primary receiver is covered, he just throws the ball away. He's good at doing that, which is why he doesn't throw many INT's. Yet his completion percentage isn't that great, nor is his yards per completion. His QBR last year was above average for backups, not for starters. He's qualified as a backup and it's possible he could be an upgrade at starter for a few teams, but he'd be on the low end of starters. It's too bad because it looked like he had tremendous promise.

I don't really disagree but that's sort of my point. The idea that there's a quarterback sitting on the market who isn't taken that would be an upgrade at STARTER for at least a handful of teams and a solid backup for almost all of them is basically unheard of.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If it's already been discussed in this multi page thread, I apologize. But can we also bring up the fact that it wasn't until 2009 when players really were "forced" to even be present for the Anthem? The military has paid close to 12 million in marketing to sports teams to spread the spirit of patriotism. They need to spread more hoo rah energy to replace the bodies they send off to fight endless wars in Afghanistan.

Only then was this whole thing weaponized into some disrespect of the military.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The absolute truth is what you said minus two words:

The problem conservatives have with black people is that they don’t like black people.

And then you have black republicans like Michael Steele that just doesn't make any sense to me.
I mean he tries, he really tries, but he knows what is going on behind the scene.
Still, he tries so hard to support his party.

This has to be extremely difficult for black republicans in general.
There is nothing wrong with being a conservative when it comes to the economy and military and the role of government in ones life.
No, nothing wrong with that.
And there are a lot of blacks that are indeed conservative when it comes to government, the economy, finance, the military.
They would naturally align with republican party when it comes to old fashion American conservatism.
But when the party choses someone like a Donald Trump and acts so offensive towards blacks and hispanics and muslims, it turns into "keep quiet and go to the back of the bus" time.

Even watching the black commentators on Fox News can be painful.
They have the white only microphone and the colored only microphone. Just like in the south 1960.
Black commentators would like to be loyal Fox News republican conservatives at heart, but then some racially charged thing comes along and Fox pulls out the white only / colored only microphones once again. Their black commentators just have to sit there quietly and take it. No uppity attitudes, no ruffling the feathers of their white Fox viewers.
Oh sure, the black commentator is free to find some little picky pointless detail in the conversation where they can chime in on while still avoiding the real conversation totally, that Fox will allow. But dare give an opinion, forget it.

I feel sorry for them, black republicans, because they can either stick with the republican party in the name of old fashion conservatism or they have no home.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I don't really disagree but that's sort of my point. The idea that there's a quarterback sitting on the market who isn't taken that would be an upgrade at STARTER for at least a handful of teams and a solid backup for almost all of them is basically unheard of.

If he had Aaron Rodgers level talent, he would be taken. Given his 2nd tier abilities, team owners are probably blacklisting him because he started a movement that appears to be affecting the entire NFL's bottom line in a negative way. Its all about the green baby......

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

He has huge flaws. I am a 49ers fan, and when we first put him in I was excited. What made him a threat was his speed with a great O-line. What happened was that teams figured out that he was less likely to throw and more likely to run. What made him so effective was that everyone expects a QB to throw any chance they get so the focus on pass defense. Harbaugh knew this and exploited it with a blazing fast player. Kap could swing out and blaze past all but the fastest of players. He also had a hell of an arm and could launch the ball.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/top-5-things-kaepernick-well-2/

Once the league caught on, QBs like RG3, Kap, and even Wilson became less effective. Wilson had a much better team and has been able to hold on, but RG3 and Kap have not.