Why does Trump get so exercised over black athletes peacefully protesting vs white nationalists?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Why is it football players get penalized for disrespecting each other (taunting, etc.) but not for disrespecting the national anthem? Personally, I'd rather get rid of the penalties for the former, but in any case it seems like a double standard.

Or maybe I just don't get this "sportsmanship" thing. (Hey, is that something we could apply to politics?)

Do you stand up in your home when the Anthem is playing? If not then you are exercising your right to free speech, just the same as the football players are.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump thought he could exploit a wedge between fans and players (most of whom are black). But he did it in a way that assumed that the owners would be on his side. He was wrong, just like everything he says and does. He basically guaranteed that every black player is going to take a knee now in support of their teammates that Trump is calling "sons of bitches". If they don't protest then they will look like they're standing because Trump ordered them to, regardless of whether they really feel like protesting or not. And the other players will presumably want to support their team members regardless of race.

The only thing he has succeeded at so far is dividing people - that's really all he knows how to do. He knows nothing about coalitions of people together, for example, to help pass laws; his only true talent is in pitting people against each other and watching the building burn from a distance. And there are still millions of people who think that this is what passes for leadership. It seems Trump does not respect the office of the Presidency, he does not appreciate or knowingly acts ignorant to the responsibilities which come with it, and I have a strong feeling he didn't announce his intention to seek public office expecting to get it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Someone please school me on why it is considered disrespectful to take a knee. You are literally on your knee, if someone take a knee in from of me I wouldn't moan about disrespect. You kneel in from of coach to show respect, it is natural for an athlete. Yeah yeah it was about politics. Who cares? Some people want to be PC only when it suits them, GTFOOH.

Next time you are at a game please look around, people don't take off their hat, people don't keep hand hand over heart, people are wiggling around, people are checking out asses in front.

Moaning over taking a knee, give me a break. How do you like NFL now that everyone is taking a knee. Please stop watching because we don't want you anyway.
Because black people are doing it. They said the same about Tommie Smith in 1968 with the raised black gloved fist.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
it's hilarious/sad how people get upset over someone taking a knee. quite a few people on my facebook think it outrageous (the majority of whom i'd wager voted for trump, and others whom i know for sure voted hillary).

how many people got upset by tim tebow?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ow-a-tale-of-two-christianities-on-its-knees/

Meanwhile, a ton of my family who is pissed off about this, yells "Home of the Sooners" at the end of the anthem and carry these flags around:
ouflag-desktop.jpg

"Respect the flag! Respect the Anthem! Oh, what I am doing isn't disrespectful, you're just jealous of our success!"

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
To listen to Trump, you'd think these patriotic American's on the team(s) had bombed Pearl Harbor. Trump just doesn't get it. No big surprise.
Freedom of speech is a protected American right.
Whether knelling before a game or tweeting absolute nonsense at 5am.
Hmmmm Donald?

Gaud.... I still can not believe this moron is the president.
What an embarrassment.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Just to put things in perspective Obama never said anything about BLM protestors when they were "yelling we want cops dead now". And he never supported the men in uniform who keep our cities and streets safe. But now the dems are making a stink about Trump calling out people who are being unpatriotic and that includes every color. Fans are not taking this "kneeling" lightly.

Currently i dont see how anyone can make this a "Trump thing" or a racist thing but this a people vs the nfl thing and they are saying keep sports and politics seperate. Read the comments on news sites and most everyone is saying protest all you want but do it on your own time. I agree 100%.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Bullshit....every word.
But keep being proud of your "white is right" views on life.

Sad, really, that you believe any of your own drivel.

Just to put things in perspective Obama never said anything about BLM protestors when they were "yelling we want cops dead now". And he never supported the men in uniform who keep our cities and streets safe. But now the dems are making a stink about Trump calling out people who are being unpatriotic and that includes every color. Fans are not taking this "kneeling" lightly.

Currently i dont see how anyone can make this a "Trump thing" or a racist thing but this a people vs the nfl thing and they are saying keep sports and politics seperate. Read the comments on news sites and most everyone is saying protest all you want but do it on your own time. I agree 100%.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Great points let's see what DJT has to say about it:

e5209f028d58d0922cd2f5cd8963869a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chocu1a

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Friendly reminder:

Many of Trump's tweets in the past few days have been obsessed with NFL athletes' protests.

His last tweet about Puerto Rico, which was just devastated by a hurricane and will be entirely without power and other key infrastructure elements for months, was four days ago.

Don't you dare call him presidential.

Reactions: Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Funny I never heard Trump say anything about this being a racial issue.
Funny guys carrying tiki torches never said it was a "race" issue.

Funny Trump said a judge couldn't do his job because he was Mexican never said it was a race issue either.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Speaking of supporting men in uniform didn't Trump disparage a prisoner of war by saying "I like people who weren't captured."? That supporting the troops argument is pure bullshit.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because black people are doing it. They said the same about Tommie Smith in 1968 with the raised black gloved fist.

I’m still trying to figure out what way black people are allowed to protest without enraging conservatives.

When black people were protesting in the streets and it sometimes turned violent we were told that conservatives don’t mind black protests, they just mind violent protests. When black people protest by kneeling during the anthem, literally about the least violent protest you could possibly imagine, conservatives are incandescent with rage, call for them to be fired, etc.

At some point we need to accept the fact that the problem conservatives have with black people protesting is that they don’t like black people protesting.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Why on earth does anyone need to keep politics separate from their professional life if they don’t want to?

Reactions: HomerJS

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I’m still trying to figure out what way black people are allowed to protest without enraging conservatives.

When black people were protesting in the streets and it sometimes turned violent we were told that conservatives don’t mind black protests, they just mind violent protests. When black people protest by kneeling during the anthem, literally about the least violent protest you could possibly imagine, conservatives are incandescent with rage, call for them to be fired, etc.

At some point we need to accept the fact that the problem conservatives have with black people protesting is that they don’t like black people protesting.
Amen

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Trump is playing to his base. I personally don't care for anyone who plays politics with patriotism. That belief applies to flag burning, knee taking and freedom fries.

Also, much respect to Alejandro Villanueva for representing veterans in all the protests yesterday. Rangers Lead the Way.