Why do people buy "Apple" computers?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: EdipisReks
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey:and this is really up to the user because I know I dont need a poorly designed 3.06ghz processor

that is about the dumbest thing i've read today. how is the Pentium IV poorly designed?

Have you read the news on it? The original design was pretty nice and then they started to yank stuff to get it out the door to compete with the Athlon. I would consider purchasing a P4 if I was in the market for an x86 machine.

where have you been the last year? the Northwood core replaced all the design elements that were reduced for the original Willamette cored pentium IV. the 3.06 ghz northwood with HyperThreading is about the most advanced, well designed processor you can buy. you really need to read up about the design history of the Pentium IV.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Something I thought I'de mention ....

the general bandwagon trend of crapping on macs and mac users has slowed down here at AT. Sure, we have always had mac vs PC threads, but it was usually nothing more than rabid zealotry on both sides, it's nice to see some moderates. Less bigots is always a good thing.
I like both platforms, all computers are cool in some way.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: smp

all computers are cool in some way.

except for Compaqs and Packard Bells ;)

Compaq's rule, thank you very much.

Well their DeskPro/Evo lines, not to mention the absolutely kickass ProLiants ;)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Go3iverson
I generally prefer the Mac OS. In fact, I just added my newest Apple......I bought a new TiBook G4. 1GHz G4, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD, Airport card, SuperDrive, whole 9 yards....can't wait to get my hands on it...
You like the TiBook a LOT. The first thing I noticed with this thing is that the 60 GB Fujitsu 4200 rpm drive is FAST. Actually in benches, it beats some 2 MB cache 5400 rpm drives. It's not as fast as the 8 MB cache 5400 rpm drives, but then again, it supposedly uses less power. I'm getting sequential transfer rates in the 26 MB/s range which is sweet for any laptop drive, and some people have benched it even faster. Excellent speed for any laptop drive, and unheard of in a 4200 rpm laptop drive. The sequential transfer speeds are TWICE that I was getting with my iBook's 20 GB Toshiba 4200 rpm drive with the same Xbench program.

The only drawback of the 1 GHz is the fan seems to come on a lot and it's pretty noticeable. However, when on battery power the CPU drops to 667, it's pretty damn quiet. Actually for every day type stuff, 667 seems adequate, but of course with hard core stuff, the 1 GHz makes a humungous difference. With 667 and light usage, I've been able to get over 4 hours on battery power. :)

I also love the DVI output. Here is a pic of my setup with an external Samsung 172T LCD. The PC zealots will love this one - classic Mac stereotype about aesthetics... My laptop, my external digital LCD screen, my wireless keyboard, and my wireless mouse all match. ;) The ironic part is that my keyboard and mouse are Microsoft. :p Actually, the Microsoft keyboard and mouse OS X drivers for the Mac are excellent. I'd wholeheartedly recommend this combo to any Mac user.

What you don't see under the desk is my Windows XP box. It shares the LCD monitor. However, lately, instead of just running the PC directly, I just log onto the PC remotely using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection. ie. I just run my Windows machine in a window on my Mac. It's much more convenient this way esp. since I have two screens worth of desktop space to work with.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Something I thought I'de mention ....

the general bandwagon trend of crapping on macs and mac users has slowed down here at AT. Sure, we have always had mac vs PC threads, but it was usually nothing more than rabid zealotry on both sides, it's nice to see some moderates. Less bigots is always a good thing.
I like both platforms, all computers are cool in some way.

I agree. For the majority of its 5 pages this thread has been civil.

Lethal

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
if i had the money, i would probably buy a tibook. however, my dad's new thinkpad is pretty damn sweet in and of itself.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
if i had the money, i would probably buy a tibook. however, my dad's new thinkpad is pretty damn sweet in and of itself.
Yeah I was looking into some of the T series Thinkpads for somebody I know. They seem pretty nice, as do some of the small profile Fujitsus, although I stiill prefer the TiBook.

I don't think I'd be happy with any of the Dell notebooks though.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002

all computers are cool in some way.

except for Compaqs and Packard Bells ;)
My Compaq k6-2 380 is 3.5 years old and still runs perfectly. I haven't had to repair or replace anything on it. Maybe I got lucky, but that computer was / is very solid. And I have to say, the 17" Compaq MV70 monitor still looks great. It is now used by my kids to play their games.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Eug
Yeah I was looking into some of the T series Thinkpads for somebody I know. They seem pretty nice, as do some of the small profile Fujitsus, although I stiill prefer the TiBook.

I don't think I'd be happy with any of the Dell notebooks though.

I read somewhere (and the source could have been wrong, especially since I dont remember it) that some or all of the thinkpads had built in DRM already.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I read somewhere (and the source could have been wrong, especially since I dont remember it) that some or all of the thinkpads had built in DRM already.
??? Doesn't that require a new chip, new OS, and new software?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

The Fritz chip is the Intel made chip that does DRM. I dont know how much DRM this has in it, but Im sure with some of their custom thinkpad software getting some "features" out of DRM wouldnt be too hard...

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
The Fritz chip is the Intel made chip that does DRM. I dont know how much DRM this has in it, but Im sure with some of their custom thinkpad software getting some "features" out of DRM wouldnt be too hard...
What I remember reading (which again is from an unknown source) is that the SDMI (sp?) DRM chip was optional, and you had to specify that you wanted laptops with the chips in them. However, it wouldn't suprise me if it is mandatory that they now come with the chip(s).

Go3iverson

Apr 16, 2000
Typical?

I'm the only person I know of studing Computer Science, Communications, and Art! ;)

BTW, great discussion in this thread so far! It's been a really interesting read!

I just got the confirmation that my TiBook is on its way! I'm so excited! :D

I'll let y'all know when I get it!

Mike D

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Typical?

I'm the only person I know of studing Computer Science, Communications, and Art! ;)

BTW, great discussion in this thread so far! It's been a really interesting read!

Mike D

dude, if you've read this whole thread I think you've got too much time on yer hands. ;)

Lethal

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Typical?

Mike D
dude, if you've read this whole thread I think you've got too much time on yer hands. ;)

Lethal
<-- has too much time on his hands. :eek:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hehehe, I've read the whole thread too, but I got in early on so it wasn't all at once. :)

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
Apple has seen its share of the overall operating system market slide in recent years as Linux gains popularity. IDC estimates that the market share for Mac OS dropped to 3.1 percent in 2001 from 4.6 percent two years earlier. Windows, in contrast, has more than 90 percent market share.

TextCertainly by...2005, possibly by the end of 2003, Linux will pass Mac OS as the No. 2 operating environment," said IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky.

taken from an article on cnet news.com

IF OSX is so great and popular among the unix croud, why has apple's market share for its OS slid, and so why this prediction

and my comment still stands ART = typical

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dannybin1742
Apple has seen its share of the overall operating system market slide in recent years as Linux gains popularity. IDC estimates that the market share for Mac OS dropped to 3.1 percent in 2001 from 4.6 percent two years earlier. Windows, in contrast, has more than 90 percent market share.

TextCertainly by...2005, possibly by the end of 2003, Linux will pass Mac OS as the No. 2 operating environment," said IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky.

IF OSX is so great and popular among the unix croud, why has apple's market share for its OS slid, and so why this prediction

and my comment still stands ART = typical

Mac OS X has increased Apple's sales :p

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

Probably because Linux is gaining ground in the server market, whereas Apple has barely broken the surface of the server market.

Personally, I don't think Linux is even close to being ready for the consumer desktop market, a market where OS X is a better fit for at the moment, and of course where Apple is focusing its energies upon.

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
FYI; this was taken from an article posted on AT today, but i'm pretty sure they were talking about the general usage of OSs in the general public, not server market, but i could be wrong, just check out that microsoft-apple sync. article

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
FYI; this was taken from an article posted on AT today, but i'm pretty sure they were talking about the general usage of OSs in the general public, not server market, but i could be wrong, just check out that microsoft-apple sync. article

The article said, "Apple has seen its share of the overall operating system market slide in recent years as Linux gains popularity." I assume most of the damage done is in the server/business market since I don't see very many consumer machines running Lunix. :)

because they're easier to use. roll;

Five pages, over 200 posts and this is yer flame.
rolleye.gif

Lethal