Why do people buy "Apple" computers?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bsr

May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: gf4200isdabest
"people that make the big mac switch makes the switch back to pc 90% of the time. .... "

Wow; what a moron. The only reason I feel bad about having an IBM-compatible is because i get grouped with dumbasses like this one. If you have no idea what you're talking about, do the world a favor and take a "shut the hell up" pill

You shut the hell up, prick

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bsr
"people that make the big mac switch makes the switch back to pc 90% of the time. .... "

Wow; what a moron. The only reason I feel bad about having an IBM-compatible is because i get grouped with dumbasses like this one. If you have no idea what you're talking about, do the world a favor and take a "shut the hell up" pill

Post something intelligent.

5. They are 100% non upgradable

Macs are 100% upgradable.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

Oh, the motherboards are upgradable in a Mac? I didn't know that (I did know that you can upgrade - and yes, even overclock - processors in a Mac, and you can also upgrade the disk drives, RAM, and other components).

<-- learns something new every day. :)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty

Oh, the motherboards are upgradable in a Mac? I didn't know that (I did know that you can upgrade - and yes, even overclock - processors in a Mac, and you can also upgrade the disk drives, RAM, and other components).

<-- learns something new every day. :)

Yeah, everything is upgradable. The only part you will need to get that is made by apple or whatever is the motherboard. Everything else is standard.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
please macs are not nearly as upgradable as PC's. It is a lot more difficult to find parts to upgrade the Mac with, and a lot more expensive. Most people simply buy a new Mac rather than upgrade their existing one.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
please macs are not nearly as upgradable as PC's. It is a lot more difficult to find parts to upgrade the Mac with, and a lot more expensive. Most people simply buy a new Mac rather than upgrade their existing one.

And what does this statement have to do with the fact Macs are upgradable? Nothing. Yes, there are fewer parts. Yes, some of the parts tend to be of better quality and happen to cost more. Yes, some people have the money to upgrade their entire system every couple of years. You almost had a clue in the thread earlier. Its my money and I will spend it on what makes me happy, whether I can get 128438452393249874575439845382347 fps at whatever the latest circle jerk first person shooter game is or not.

D1vine

Oct 18, 2002

And what does this statement have to do with the fact Macs are upgradable? Nothing. Yes, there are fewer parts. Yes, some of the parts tend to be of better quality and happen to cost more. Yes, some people have the money to upgrade their entire system every couple of years. You almost had a clue in the thread earlier. Its my money and I will spend it on what makes me happy, whether I can get 128438452393249874575439845382347 fps at whatever the latest circle jerk first person shooter game is or not.
Hey man can you show me how to get 128438452393249874575439845382347 fps at UT??? ;)
J/k

I think we are fighting an uphill battle with these guys n0cmonkey. No matter how many times we tell them that if they don't have anything intelligent to say...then leave, they still have to throw a little comeback.

Whatever, this thread is degenerating into a super flame war fast and is losing all of its original subject matter to proving to people that can't have something intelligent to post to get the hell out of here.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: topaz22
... and what is apple thinking with the xserve ??? hmm... lets enter a saturated server market, with slower hardware, slower software.. (not to mention overpriced) in a world that lives off of performance... who in their right mind would want an apple server?

The Xserve serves 2 functions. First, Apple needed a better server design, period. The Power Mac case wasn't a good fit for sever rooms, and in some ways, offered pointless features; it was barebones in the wrong areas. The Xserve on the other hand is designed to really be a server; hot-swaping HD's, minimal graphics, 1U case, componentized parts, etc. The forthcomming Xserve RAID will in turn be an add-on to the Xserve to give it a rather large SCSI drive array in order to fufill higher-end storage requirements.

The other reason for its introduction was because Apple felt it could make a dent with its strengths. OS X, for all of its graphical glitter, is still a powerful OS. The tools it comes with(espeically GUI) are well designed and easy to use as are all of Apple's tools, and some of its features are downright amazing(NetBoot: in 20 minutes and 3 clicks you have a network bootable OS image; easier than any other platform). With a 1U server, Apple could finally go after this market(a new one for them at that) and see what they could get.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
it's all a matter of choice. Just dont bash us PC users and you wont hear this anti mac stuff. NCO monkey always says how "Cheap" x86 processors are compared to apple's hardware. That statement is just dumb and uneducated. A P4 3.06 with hyperthreading will obliterate anything on the market. You tell me how that makes it "cheap".

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
it's all a matter of choice. Just dont bash us PC users and you wont hear this anti mac stuff. NCO monkey always says how "Cheap" x86 processors are compared to apple's hardware. That statement is just dumb and uneducated. A P4 3.06 with hyperthreading will obliterate anything on the market. You tell me how that makes it "cheap".

Well ANNA, I belive the design of x86 processors and the design choices for much of the architecture is cheap. BIOSes should have been left behind when the rest of the intelligent world grew up. x86 appears to be a bad hack upon bad hack (the entire architecture). Im tired of it. Im bored with it. I enjoy the diversity your type of people do not like. While you are stubborn goose steping to intel I look around at whatelse the world has to offer. Speed isnt everything, helll, it isnt the most important thing to me.

DSTA

Sep 26, 2001
Hm. I'll try to answer the original question for a change :)

Why do people buy "Apple" computers?

Because, in my case, the alternative IBM compatible would have cost roughly twice as much. I was shopping for a highly portable laptop and ended buying an iBook. IMVHO a much better deal than a Thinkpad X or Omnibook 5xx. Cost was 1245 ? for the CD iBook, 100 ? for a 512 MByte stick of RAM.

I use the thing as my portable office, media player, etc. It's easily fast enough for that. Drawbacks so far: only got a single button touchpad, HDD upgrade is *a lot* of work (and voids warranty), no PCMCIA slots. Advantages: excellent value for money (plus resale value is far above average, at least here in .de), good display and general build quality, excellent battry life -- and of course X, which is a *very* nice OS.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001

didnt someone post spec scores in this thread? or was that another? a p4 3.06 surely does not obliterate anything, and your assumption, once again, shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

and if you can't understand why x86 isnt a dirty, 20 year old hack on top of hack platform, well then, um, hm, not sure what to say :)

DSTA

Sep 26, 2001
and if you can't understand why x86 isnt a dirty, 20 year old hack on top of hack platform, well then, um, hm, not sure what to say :)

You must admit that these hacks are working amazingly well despite all the legagcy and crutches being carried around -- especially in the latest (ugly?) incarnation from AMD. My motto: "what get's the job done...".

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DSTA

You must admit that these hacks are working amazingly well despite all the legagcy and crutches being carried around -- especially in the latest (ugly?) incarnation from AMD. My motto: "what get's the job done...".

Why cant this thought be used for Macs? They "just get the job done" for many people.

specktre

Dec 27, 2002
sorry to burst your bubble about macs are faster than PC's because they aren't. u can't even compare macs and pc's on my book its all preferance i like pc's because i play games and use a little bit of office 2000 now, if i had 2000 to spend on a G4 with OSX.2 i would but that is more money than i spent on my car so im sticking with my 800$ athlon XP system till i win the lottery ;)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: specktre
sorry to burst your bubble about macs are faster than PC's because they aren't. u can't even compare macs and pc's on my book its all preferance i like pc's because i play games and use a little bit of office 2000 now, if i had 2000 to spend on a G4 with OSX.2 i would but that is more money than i spent on my car so im sticking with my 800$ athlon XP system till i win the lottery ;)
Macs are designed to get real work done, not gaming. Although the processor may be somewhat slower than a PC's processor, the user interface of OS X allows work to be done more efficiently. It's not things that you'd notice if you sat down to a Mac for the first time, but there are reasons for having a shared menu bar at the top of the screen, and having the dock the way it is at the bottom (hey, the dock must be good - look how many people who run Wintel boxes are trying to emulate it in WinXP ;) ); these things help usability.

bsr

May 28, 2002
I like pc's cause of games and the fact I can build them myself, But I guess I can understand macs in school or business envirnment. But in my opinion there worthless for the average user.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Originally posted by: Go3iverson
Typical?

I'm the only person I know of studing Computer Science, Communications, and Art! ;)

BTW, great discussion in this thread so far! It's been a really interesting read!

I just got the confirmation that my TiBook is on its way! I'm so excited! :D

I'll let y'all know when I get it!

Mike D

dude, if you've read this whole thread I think you've got too much time on yer hands. ;)

Lethal

<--- Has way, way too much time on his hands.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I just burned a DVD using multiple video clips. The clips have lots of simple effects, transitions and titles. The menu for the DVD has a motion background and motion buttons with video, as well as background music. One button consists of a still image though, linking the viewer to a picture slide show with background music.

The best part is that the entire process was done with FREE software, which are included with the laptop and OS. The software is iMovie and iDVD. One would be hard pressed to do the same on a PC without spending quite a bit of $$$. Actually, one would be hard pressed to find anything with this combination of power and ease of use at any price on the Windows side.

One of the reasons I use a Mac for some stuff is not only because I prefer the OS and some of the hardware, but also because of some of the software which is available for it.

DSTA

Sep 26, 2001
Why cant this thought be used for Macs? They "just get the job done" for many people.

Absolutely agree. That's why I use an iBook -- nice machine, a great help for me. I just wanted to point out that the "ugly" PC compatible machines are working rather well for some tasks.

mjolnir2k

Apr 25, 2001
OK, This is the DEFINITIVE test of computer speed:

I took a G4 and an AMD XP 2800 rig to the top floor of my building (10th story)
I placed both boxes on the edge of the building and gave them a push
The AMD rig made impact 1/10th of a second before the G4 did

Conclusion: PC's are Faster than Mac's!!! :)

ps. Thanks for those trying to give info / honest opinions and not flames. It's been "enlightening" to say the least!

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
bit's all a matter of choice. Just dont bash us PC users and you wont hear this anti mac stuff. NCO monkey always says how "Cheap" x86 processors are compared to apple's hardware. That statement is just dumb and uneducated. A P4 3.06 with hyperthreading will obliterate anything on the market. You tell me how that makes it "cheap".

LOL...

1. isn't that what Noc and Eug, among others, have said two or three times?

2. If you want to see bashing look at the posts by PC zealots. The non-zealots and/or Mac users have been pretty matter of fact w/few flames.

3. Why is this thread still alive? :Q

Lethal

bsr

May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: mjolnir2k
OK, This is the DEFINITIVE test of computer speed:

I took a G4 and an AMD XP 2800 rig to the top floor of my building (10th story)
I placed both boxes on the edge of the building and gave them a push
The AMD rig made impact 1/10th of a second before the G4 did

Conclusion: PC's are Faster than Mac's!!! :)

If the 2800 cpu made it I will give you $10 for it (JK) .... but Ive really seen this thing on tv that there are people that acually drop old computers from buildings.... LOL.

Go3iverson

Apr 16, 2000
Hey Guys and Gals!

Wow, what a thread we've got here! Lasted into the new year too, with very little blatant bashing! Go us!

Anyway, I am 100% thrilled with this TiBook! I mean, its just great. I had used my friend's 400MHz TiBook about a year or so ago and wasn't totally impressed. I mean, the screen, the design, the look, all great, but it wasn't up to my workload. This machine screams though! I'm so tempted to dump one of my G4 towers and use this is as my primary and this is from someone who wasn't a laptop person. I could move my server from my 533MHz/1MB L2 G4 to my 867MHz/2MB L3 G4 machine and give my mother the 533MHz, I guess.....

The new screen on these things is just great. My major complaint about laptops used to be the trackpad, lack of speed, screen, and keyboard (yup I hated the whole thing! lol). Ok, so I still goof on the track pad a bit, but this thing is so sleek and powerful, I'm honestly surprised a bit myself. And it was kinda cool being able to burn some mp3's onto CD while I drove to work this morning! I haven't tested the DVD-R part of the drive....yet....

As for the IBM970 chip, I thought I remember hearing that a 1GHz chip in that line has about the same processing power as a 2GHz G4. Now, I can't remember where I heard this or read it, so don't take it at face value or scream if I'm wrong, I honestly don't remember. Working in an IT dept, you hear a lot of crazy stuff at times!

Oh, and I love the really cool Marware case I got for this thing......if you have one, get that case! It's so nice!

Mike D