Why are there no anti-seatbelt groups?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
people who dont wear seatbelts may endanger their lives more than anyone elses, but they also endanger others mentality.

knowing that you killed someone, or someone died in a car accident you were involved in, only because they didnt wear their seat belt, is not something i would want to live with, knowing that i killed, or helped kill osmeone.

btw, you need to get banned again.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
knowing that you killed someone, or someone died in a car accident you were involved in, only because they didnt wear their seat belt, is not something i would want to live with, knowing that i killed, or helped kill osmeone.

???? How would you "help" kill someone? By convincing them to not wear their seatbelt?

S

SlitheryDee

Why not just legalize driving without a seatbelt and balance things out by making driving while talking on a cell phone illegal?

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Why not just legalize driving without a seatbelt and balance things out by making driving while talking on a cell phone illegal?

So take one freedom in exchange for another? What would we gain? Defeats the principal behind the whole purpose.

"In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit."
--Ayn Rand

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JLGatsby
There is a group for almost everyone.

For or against whatever. But there are not groups trying to strike down the evasive seatbelt laws.

I don't know anyone who wears a seatbelt.

I was never required as a kid. I never wear them now as an adult. And it's my choice.

Where are the anti-seatbelt crusaders? Who will protect us from our protectors?

Is this shens/sarcasm? Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but if not the OP is f'ing stupid. For example, as a child passenger I don't remember being required to be in a child seat either but these days it's law and it's a pretty good idea safety wise.

OP - Please continue to 'fight the system' and not wear your seatbealt.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Wearing a seat belt is the law for the same reason that drinking & driving is illegal. Sure some people can do it and get away with it, but the chances of getting in a crash and living are incresed dramatically by wearing your selt belt, just like how drinking & driving dramatically incresaes the chances of having a serious accident.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
There is a group for almost everyone.

For or against whatever. But there are not groups trying to strike down the evasive seatbelt laws.

I don't know anyone who wears a seatbelt.

I was never required as a kid. I never wear them now as an adult. And it's my choice.

Where are the anti-seatbelt crusaders? Who will protect us from our protectors?

You're an idiot for not wearing a seatbelt. I'd like to say that hopefully you won't have to learn that lesson the hard way but I really don't give a crap if you do.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Wearing a seat belt is the law for the same reason that drinking & driving is illegal. Sure some people can do it and get away with it, but the chances of getting in a crash and living are incresed dramatically by wearing your selt belt, just like how drinking & driving dramatically incresaes the chances of having a serious accident.

No, you're wrong.

Drinking and driving is illegal because you endanger others.

Not wearing a seatbelt, you don't endanger anyone else except yourself.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor
Is this shens/sarcasm? Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but if not the OP is f'ing stupid. For example, as a child passenger I don't remember being required to be in a child seat either but these days it's law and it's a pretty good idea safety wise.

Kids should definitely be required to be in a seat belt and in the back seat, but adults should do what they wish.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003

No, you're wrong.

Drinking and driving is illegal because you endanger others.

Not wearing a seatbelt, you don't endanger anyone else except yourself.

I was referring to the probability relationship, not the specific nature of each...

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
I was referring to the probability relationship, not the specific nature of each...

Probability of survival/accident?

What would it matter? I endanger no one but myself. It's my life. That's my point.

:music: So, the choice I have made,
May seem strange to you.
But who asked you, anyway ?
It's my life to wreck
My own way..! :music:

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: SlitheryDee

So take one freedom in exchange for another? What would we gain? Defeats the principal behind the whole purpose.

"In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit."
--Ayn Rand

I was just combining two sensitive topics in one statement to potentially increase the momentum of this thread.

Anyway's I agree with you for the most part.

I hate that damn "Seatlbelt laws protect the emotional states of those who could be involved in an accident that results in a fatality" argument. The government has no business meddling with our emotional states and I'll be damned if I'm going to base my habits around every stranger's potentially fragile widdle mind.

I always wear my seatbelt, It just makes sense to me. If by some crazy chance I'm not wearing my seatbelt and one of you kill in an accident, rest easy, it was my fault...

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
id rather not be thrown through the wind shield 50 yards away and be in a coma for 4 months.

True story, happened to a friend of mine

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003

Probability of survival/accident?

What would it matter? I endanger no one but myself. It's my life. That's my point.

:music: So, the choice I have made,
May seem strange to you.
But who asked you, anyway ?
It's my life to wreck
My own way..! :music:

Regardless if it is legal or illegal, it's your choice. It just happens to be that there are more consequences (besides death and serious injury) of not wearing a selt belt. But by all means, continue...

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only point is, you're a danger to others. If you're going to insist on being that stupid, at least, when you crash, you'll be adding a little chlorine to the gene pool. :thumbsup:

I just hope you don't hurt others on your way off the planet. :(

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

???? How would you "help" kill someone? By convincing them to not wear their seatbelt?

because it was YOUR car that was hit/hit them...

and all that work and everything is screwed because some dumbass cant take 5 seconds to save their own life, now you have someones death on your mind.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005

and all that work and everything is screwed because some dumbass cant take 5 seconds to save their own life, now you have someones death on your mind.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What difference does it make to the OTHER person whether or not I'm wearing MY seatbelt?

You sound like you're saying wearing a seatbelt makes you more likely to get in an accident.

I cannot quite make out what you're talking about, you're not making any sense.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What difference does it make to the OTHER person whether or not I'm wearing MY seatbelt?

You sound like you're saying wearing a seatbelt makes you more likely to get in an accident.

I cannot quite make out what you're talking about, you're not making any sense.

ok car a. your dumbass w/ no seatbelt
car b. some 37 year old mother of 2, with her husband and her 12 year old. all belted in

Car a. runs a redlight and t-bones car b. Car A's driver is ejected through the windsheild and hits car B on the driver side rear door.

now, your dumbass is dead, and 3 people have to live with the fact that they saw a fresh bloody, gory, fat ass, body, and they also have to live with the fact that they were involved in some way with that persons death.

now, all this could have been avoided by a seatbelt.

also, now the tax payers, the insurance companies, and the gov't must pay hundreds of thousands of dollars.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
now, your dumbass is dead, and 3 people have to live with the fact that they saw a fresh bloody, gory, fat ass, body, and they also have to live with the fact that they were involved in some way with that persons death.

They need to grow a pair and get over it.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

They need to grow a pair and get over it.

i thought you would have no response for that scenario. and i was right.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
My sister's best friend growing up was killed b/c she wasn't buckled in and flew through the window. Car landed on her. Sometimes the Gov't needs to legislate things like this to protect the dumbasses that refuse to use common sense.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
I just hope you don't hurt others on your way off the planet. :(

How would I hurt other people by not wearing a seatbelt!?!? WTF?

Scenario:

You are travelling on a highway, downward slope. It's rainy. You're moving with the flow of traffic, which is 55-60 MPH. The person behind you misjudges distance, or otherwise screws up, and rear ends you.

Without a seatbelt, you have a fairly decent chance of being thrown against the steering wheel, sliding in your seat, etc, perhaps causing you to hold on to the steering wheel for support. If you were wearing a seat belt, it would hold you in place (mostly), without you needing to hold on to the steering wheel to keep yourself from shifting or being thrown. That allows you the chance to continue to steer/brake/etc., whereas you might not have that chance if you weren't wearing a seat belt.