Who's playing Minecraft?

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I searched the interweb and couldn't find an answer so I figured I would ask you guys. My neighbor's grandson is hooked on minecraft and has a new laptop with the following specs.

Dell Vostro 3550
Core I3-3210M, 2.10GHz
6GB DDR3
Intel HD3000

He says it's very/too slow. I don't know what mods, if any, he plays. The graphics look rudimentary so I would think the Intel HD3000 would handle the game graphics. He wants to upgrade the CPU to an i5 but I don't know if that would help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I searched the interweb and couldn't find an answer so I figured I would ask you guys. My neighbor's grandson is hooked on minecraft and has a new laptop with the following specs.

Dell Vostro 3550
Core I3-3210M, 2.10GHz
6GB DDR3
Intel HD3000

He says it's very/too slow. I don't know what mods, if any, he plays. The graphics look rudimentary so I would think the Intel HD3000 would handle the game graphics. He wants to upgrade the CPU to an i5 but I don't know if that would help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think he's SOL. The graphics are simple but Minecraft runs on Java which generally runs slower than most games coded in C++. The weak link is the HD3000 which you can't upgrade on a laptop.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

Dell Vostro 3550
Core I3-3210M, 2.10GHz
6GB DDR3
Intel HD3000

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Yeah, I actually have a laptop with very similar specs. I was pretty disappointing with the performance of minecraft considering I heard that the sandy bridge i3s had at least decent graphics.

I installed the optifine mod and tweaked some of the settings. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-123-optifine-hd-b-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-more/

There is still a little bit of lag as far as player actions but there isn't anymore choppiness in the display.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
wow. 47 pages.

i just came in to say i'm *not* playing minecraft. i'm not buying the million mods thing and i'v grown bored with vanilla.

same old mobs from 1.0

beds made it too easy.

no reason to explore. every chunk has everything you need, just dig.

WAY to slow to get 20+ eye of ender.

still buggy.

in the end, minecraft sort of died around 1.3, it just never really got developed past that. yeah sure, a couple new trees, couple bug fixes, but never really got into what was promised - dealing with NPC, organised mobs, more stuff to build, etc..

the game has a few problems that once you spot them, it makes it impossible to enjoy.

a block is a block. wool is just as good a foundation for a house as bricks are. there is no real *need* to have a solid house, you can totally have stuff floating in the air and who cares, the game certainly doesn't. so neither do i.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
wow. 47 pages.

i just came in to say i'm *not* playing minecraft. i'm not buying the million mods thing and i'v grown bored with vanilla.

same old mobs from 1.0

beds made it too easy.

no reason to explore. every chunk has everything you need, just dig.

WAY to slow to get 20+ eye of ender.

still buggy.

in the end, minecraft sort of died around 1.3, it just never really got developed past that. yeah sure, a couple new trees, couple bug fixes, but never really got into what was promised - dealing with NPC, organised mobs, more stuff to build, etc..

the game has a few problems that once you spot them, it makes it impossible to enjoy.

a block is a block. wool is just as good a foundation for a house as bricks are. there is no real *need* to have a solid house, you can totally have stuff floating in the air and who cares, the game certainly doesn't. so neither do i.

There are some awesome Mods.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Beds do make things awfully easy. Can basically eliminate night time. Once I discovered strip mining, I sort of realized exploring for diamonds was unnecessary too, and exploring, and finding diamonds was FUN! Now, what is the point of exploring when what I'm after is easily available via strip mining?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Just in case anyone was thinking this was a fad, the PC version just hit 6mil sold. Crikey!:eek:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
oh yeah minecraft had its time and it was quite something to play, i would still recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet, but it's a game that you can't play forever.

i'v still played it more than your average EA game, longer than Skyrim for sure, but it's not eternal, after a while you grow bored of the underlying mechanics and whenever you have a problem,you just flatten out everything and stick torches everywhere.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Once the AT server got taken down over a year ago and I lost all my progress on my submarine... I kind of stopped playing completely. I was putting in a good 4-6 hours a night though, building my greenhouse and then laying down the keel for the sub (Los Angeles class 1:1 scale*)

*Slight fudging there, the actual LA class is 10m wide *11m tall (or vice versa), and mine was 11*11 since that made things easier.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
oh yeah minecraft had its time and it was quite something to play, i would still recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet, but it's a game that you can't play forever.

I got it during alpha, still get into it every now and then. I think I've put over 1000 hours into it easily. Then again I only play single player. No worries about the server owner taking it down or some griefer destroying my creations.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I got it during alpha, still get into it every now and then. I think I've put over 1000 hours into it easily. Then again I only play single player. No worries about the server owner taking it down or some griefer destroying my creations.

most servers I've played on have anti-grief plugins.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I've played minecraft long enough to build a house and then say, "now what?". I think I walked back and forth on the roof for a few minutes and closed the game. Played it again a couple of months later, created a rail system to my mining area. Ran out of stuff to do.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've played minecraft long enough to build a house and then say, "now what?". I think I walked back and forth on the roof for a few minutes and closed the game. Played it again a couple of months later, created a rail system to my mining area. Ran out of stuff to do.

You're only limited by your imagination.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i think the point is there, if i am limited by my imagination, i don't need a game. games are about experienceing other people's imagination, mine ran out of minecraft long ago. tbh i prefer terraria(SHAMELESS MINECRAFT CLONE), it's more focused.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
i think the point is there, if i am limited by my imagination, i don't need a game. games are about experienceing other people's imagination, mine ran out of minecraft long ago. tbh i prefer terraria(SHAMELESS MINECRAFT CLONE), it's more focused.

Well obviously you're limited by what the game can do, same as legos or any other building block. besides that, you're free to do whatever you like. Some people like to be taken on rails, some don't.

Ihmemies

Apr 18, 2006
I don't think drawing or 3d renders are as interesting as building stuff piece by piece. Legos are expensive but Minecraft was only 10&#8364; for unlimited amount of blocks :)

I've been building all kinds of stuff, mostly unfinished because of server issues or the simplicity of subject, and currently I'm building yet anothe cathedral:

As an added bonus Minecraft builds can be imported into 3d software like Cinema4D so you can make some really nice looking wallpapers with that. Of course it takes time so I won't do that before my current build is finished :)

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I picked up Minecraft a week or so ago, and just wow... 15 hours in trying to perfect just 1 construction project and with all the going back for resources and such... amazing game.

This is a type of game I have wanted for a while. As a child I was huge into lego building, and even created new/inventive types of vehicles with the use of legos.

Currently I have been working on a 3 story 32x22 Castle, with plenty of trees on top of it, on top of a 32x22x18 sand "cube mountain".
Only way in/out is up a large "sprial" flight of stairs. Currently I am digging through the bottom of my castle to reach the "bottom" of the sand mountain, and then outwards in a 3x3 long tunnel corridors in 4 "cardinal" directions with torches and plenty of rails and power rails with carts so I can creat long tracks to other parts of the Mincraft map.

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009

I loved Terraria also, but it's discontinued. Minecraft is still releasing, and they make some pretty fun changes from version to version. IIRC the NPC's are interactive in the latest beta. I think you can trade items with the villagers. Granted, it's not a full revamp with quests, but they are still moving in the right direction.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I just got back into MC a day or two ago, and it's exciting to see all the changes.

I will say that I'm trying to avoid strip mining though, as that takes out all the need (that I can think of) to explore deep into cave systems for diamonds,etc., and that exploring aspect, because of the risks involved (falling/getting skely-shot into lava, running out of food if you overstay your supplies, or getting jumped by too many mobs and overwhelmed and losing all that you've accrued) was one of the more exciting/rewarding parts of the game, for me anyway.