Who's playing Minecraft?

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
My daughter is completely addicted to this game now. All she wants to do when we get home from school is to go upstairs and play Minecraft. Now that I got her a laptop for Christmas, it is likely going to be worse since she doesn't need to use my computer.

We did beat the game in creative mode. I am trying to do the same in survival mode, but the eye of ender seems bugged. It goes up toward one direction, then when I launch it from there, it goes in the opposite direction. I tried digging a few holes in that area, but there doesn't seem to be any dungeons there.

Ihmemies

Apr 18, 2006
I'll post this here too. I think the sandbox mode is pretty fun for the $10 I paid back in the day. Since I don't have that much imagination I've been reproducing existing buildings.

I like getting the blocks just right more than whacking some mindless players or monsters. Batman: Arkham Asylum? Battlefield 3? Witcher 2? zzz snooze.. I'm not very good at enjoying killing or destruction.

Biggest problem is that I never seem to find time to finish the builds... I'll give a few examples of what I've made, and they're all still unfinished >_>

Currently I'm making New York Public library, some screeniess: http://imgur.com/a/Ld0xN

I also made The U.S. Capitol: http://imgur.com/a/9M1E6

And the gothic cathedral of Amiens which I made for FyreUK server's contest: (screens) http://imgur.com/a/8GpL4 & (video) http://youtu.be/2a-g_8pw3-g

Somehow building feels a bit like coding.. getting all the pieces together is quite rewarding.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'll give a few examples of what I've made...

Wow! Awesome stuff! I've only been playing this for a little over a week now (all in Survival Single Player) and I am totally obsessed. I'm always thinking of new ideas on what to add to my little world.

The area I am in is VERY mountainous, with tons of existing cave systems that I really enjoy exploring. A friend of mine that also just started found himself in a MUCH different "biome" (I think that's the word) than mine is. His is mostly flat, by a LARGE body of water, with a lot of trees: kinda boring if you ask me. He seems to have very little of any pre-existing cave systems. Does he just need to get in his boat and roam around? Or how will he find more mountainous, and cave-riddled areas? Also, should I be able to find snow if I explore enough? I've not yet seen that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow! Awesome stuff! I've only been playing this for a little over a week now (all in Survival Single Player) and I am totally obsessed. I'm always thinking of new ideas on what to add to my little world.

The area I am in is VERY mountainous, with tons of existing cave systems that I really enjoy exploring. A friend of mine that also just started found himself in a MUCH different "biome" (I think that's the word) than mine is. His is mostly flat, by a LARGE body of water, with a lot of trees: kinda boring if you ask me. He seems to have very little of any pre-existing cave systems. Does he just need to get in his boat and roam around? Or how will he find more mountainous, and cave-riddled areas? Also, should I be able to find snow if I explore enough? I've not yet seen that.

There are caves everywhere. If there are no cave openings to be found, just dig down for awhie and you'll find one eventually.

Biomes are just areas, travel awhile and you'll find different ones.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
For Survival Mode, do you guys play with the "Generate structures" option on or off?

I leave it on, otherwise strongholds and nether ruins aren't generated (so you can't get nether warts or blaze rods (so no alchemy).

We did beat the game in creative mode. I am trying to do the same in survival mode, but the eye of ender seems bugged. It goes up toward one direction, then when I launch it from there, it goes in the opposite direction. I tried digging a few holes in that area, but there doesn't seem to be any dungeons there.

Have you tried moving far away from that location (and also away from the spawnpoint)? I had a similar issue, but when I went far enough away it started working correctly.

Last edited:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
A friend of mine new to the game decided to go exploring. He ended up getting lost to the point he resorted to building a chest, putting everything on him in that chest, and letting a zombie kill him so he'd spawn back home at his bed.

The problem is that he did write down the X, Y, Z coordinates, but tells me that when he goes back to those coordinates, he's in the middle of a large body of water, and not at all where he left his chest. Does anybody know anything about why this has happened? He claims he was very careful about writing down the coordinates correctly (including negative values) as this was a planned thing.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
A friend of mine new to the game decided to go exploring. He ended up getting lost to the point he resorted to building a chest, putting everything on him in that chest, and letting a zombie kill him so he'd spawn back home at his bed.

The problem is that he did write down the X, Y, Z coordinates, but tells me that when he goes back to those coordinates, he's in the middle of a large body of water, and not at all where he left his chest. Does anybody know anything about why this has happened? He claims he was very careful about writing down the coordinates correctly (including negative values) as this was a planned thing.

Weird. I've never seen this and I use the XYZ values all of the time to plan out bases and tunnels. I know he was careful, but it seems likely that he wrote them down incorrectly.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
There are caves everywhere. If there are no cave openings to be found, just dig down for awhie and you'll find one eventually.

Biomes are just areas, travel awhile and you'll find different ones.

Dig down *carefully*. On his first meaningful venture from our camp, my friend dug down three blocks and fell into a giant (40+ block deep) cavern. :p

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm confused about Redstone torches, repeaters, etc. Can anyone recommend a really good Youtube video that explains the behavior of each of these items?

Here's an example of what I'm confused by:

Here, I place a redstone torch, vertically, on the ground, next to a block of dirt with redstone dust/wire on top. As you can see here, no power gets transmitted to the wire.

jifsH.png

When I place another block of dirt directly above the block the redstone torch is occupying, somehow that piece of wire gets powered, and I don't know why that is.

I10L9.png

Here, I place a redstone torch on the SIDE of the adjacent dirt block (while still occupying the same block as before), with the same result of the wire not being powered.
3mgTU.png

Now, when I put the block on top of the block the redstone torch appears to be occupying, the torch and redstone wire flash rapidly until the torch enters a burned out state. Again, I don't know what the reason is behind this altered behavior. Is this a bug, or working as intended?

B2nmU.png

I want to learn about these redstone items so I can incorporate them into things I build for my MC world. I want to work with pistons, make an elevator, etc., and it would be nice to have an understanding of how all these things behave, especially in relation to block placement, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Visaoni

May 15, 2008
For redstone, it isn't so much understanding the why as just understanding the rules. They aren't obeying natural laws, but rather whatever was coded for them, and any resulting oddities are just results of that code. The oddities can also be extremely useful, or one of the biggest problems, when using redstone. I used to be more familiar with it, but I haven't done much with it in awhile (or even played MC, for that matter).

At any rate, redstone torches provide power to the block above them, which in turn powers the adjacent wires. When you put the torch on the side of a block with a wire on top, you are creating a very fast clock that will burn itself out very quickly. Basically the powered wire turns off the torch, which removes the power from the wire, which lets the torch turn back on.

There are a bunch of redstone tutorials on youtube. I forget the names of some of the better ones, but they shouldn't be hard to find. You can also throw the term "logic gates" in your search, which should pull up some more advanced tutorials (although they often briefly cover the basics as well).

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
At any rate, redstone torches provide power to the block above them, which in turn powers the adjacent wires. When you put the torch on the side of a block with a wire on top, you are creating a very fast clock that will burn itself out very quickly. Basically the powered wire turns off the torch, which removes the power from the wire, which lets the torch turn back on.

Ok, so I now understand that a redstone torch will supply power to the block directly above the block it occupies (whether the torch is mounted A: vertically, onto the block directly below this occupied block, or B: to the side of a block adjacent to this occupied block).

So, the question now is: Why does the torch mounted to the SIDE of the block that contains redstone wire pulsate and burn out, when the one mounted vertically doesn't have this issue? Is there some sort of association generated to this redstone wire-bearing block because the torch is attached to the side of it? There must be some other rule involved here.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Why does the torch mounted to the SIDE of the block that contains redstone wire pulsate and burn out, when the one mounted vertically doesn't have this issue? Is there some sort of association generated to this redstone wire-bearing block because the torch is attached to the side of it? There must be some other rule involved here.

The side-mounted torch is the original redstone repeater, before it was made as a separate item. They kept the function so existing repeaters wouldn't break.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Just an update, my server was down for a while, but it's been back up for the past 1-2 months 24/7 running the latest Bukkit and a few plugins. If you were on in the past and want to swing by, feel free to visit, we had a great group for awhile before bandwidth issues forced me to bring it down.

Hope to see some folks from the old server on sometime!

Also, if for some reason you try to log on and it's not responding, drop me a line on Twitter at the link below and I'll take a look.

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Just an update, my server was down for a while, but it's been back up for the past 1-2 months 24/7 running the latest Bukkit and a few plugins. If you were on in the past and want to swing by, feel free to visit, we had a great group for awhile before bandwidth issues forced me to bring it down.

Hope to see some folks from the old server on sometime!

Also, if for some reason you try to log on and it's not responding, drop me a line on Twitter at the link below and I'll take a look.

Is it still the same map as early in this thread? The last time I logged into it (a few weeks before the 1.0 patch) I didn't seen any development and my spawn point was on the side of a mountain.

Is essentials loaded?

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Is it still the same map as early in this thread? The last time I logged into it (a few weeks before the 1.0 patch) I didn't seen any development and my spawn point was on the side of a mountain.

Is essentials loaded?

I started a new map with the final release of Minecraft to take advantage of a bunch of the new stuff like abandoned mineshafts and stuff like that.

Essentials is loaded, so once you're added to the builder list, you can access a bunch of stuff that comes with that.

If you want to be added as a builder ahead of time, just PM me with your Minecraft user name or send me a PM on Twitter and I'll add you.

Last edited:

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Hey guys I got my server up and running once more, got the general assortment of plug-ins installed and a basic subway system up and running. Running on a AMD 6 core 1090T with 16GB of ram with a 50down/3up cable internet connection running in Edmonton, AB. Ping should be quite reasonable for anyone in North America.

I'm looking for people interested in building, exploring/adventuring and open to good ideas.

Address is mc.undead.ca or 70.74.177.56
Server runs 24/7, PM me if you have trouble connecting. I play from work over lunch so I know it connects over the internet fine. Runs bukkit (In future if bukkit is out of version with current minecraft version you won't be able to connect FYI)