Who's playing Minecraft?

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I just got back into MC a day or two ago, and it's exciting to see all the changes.

I will say that I'm trying to avoid strip mining though, as that takes out all the need (that I can think of) to explore deep into cave systems for diamonds,etc., and that exploring aspect, because of the risks involved (falling/getting skely-shot into lava, running out of food if you overstay your supplies, or getting jumped by too many mobs and overwhelmed and losing all that you've accrued) was one of the more exciting/rewarding parts of the game, for me anyway.

You can do both. I strip mine to gather materials for my big construction projects, but take a break exploring a cave system every time I find one.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
You can do both. I strip mine to gather materials for my big construction projects, but take a break exploring a cave system every time I find one.

I do that too, I have found 2 caves underground just digging around in areas, and once I do I explore it as I gather materials from it,

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
So there is one change to the new Minecraft, at least it exists in the current snapshots, anyway, that I do NOT like, and that is apparently even when in single player mode, you're still running a server. This has created single-player lag! UGH! So annoying to have delayed sounds, delayed block response to your pick actions, among other things. I'm annoyed enough with Diablo 3's single player lag, but now Minecraft? Nooooo!! I only play single player (at this point) so this is very disappointing to me.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
So there is one change to the new Minecraft, at least it exists in the current snapshots, anyway, that I do NOT like, and that is apparently even when in single player mode, you're still running a server. This has created single-player lag! UGH! So annoying to have delayed sounds, delayed block response to your pick actions, among other things. I'm annoyed enough with Diablo 3's single player lag, but now Minecraft? Nooooo!! I only play single player (at this point) so this is very disappointing to me.
What? really? thanks for the info, I won't update until I research it more.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Buildcraft + Forestry + Industrialcraft 2 + Red Power 2 + Mo Creatures + Isabella texture pack = :wub:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I did some research, and apparently it's been around since Snapshot 12w18a
In the long run it makes more sense to do it that way. Now they can focus on just MP and improve the experience for everyone.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Bump: Hosting minecraft server- PM for information if your interested in joining..don't want to invite too many people to jack stuff up!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
In the long run it makes more sense to do it that way. Now they can focus on just MP and improve the experience for everyone.
Yeah from a developer standpoint it would seem to make much more sense. But I'm not privvy to their architecture and whatnot, just a .NET dev.

I should get into this game again and see what's changed, and try out some mods which I've not done before. Probably won't even recognize it (I think the last I played was 1.0.0? And that was only for a few days or something) now, haha.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Use FTB. The mod authors don't really like tekkit.

I'm not going to base my decision on what I run for a private server on what a mod dev likes. I just want a solid experience for my friends. If there are technical reasons or better mod choices in FTB I'll use it, but honestly right now I'm leaning to tekkit lite.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I'm kind of disappointed that these mods can't run Bukkit anymore. I'm sure there will be a lot of plugin replacements for the new system but still, it's not going to be as good as bukkit. On the plus side, it does look like they are updating quicker to the latest mc version.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Ugh, i just can't get into it anymore. I think if I had a server of mature people it could be fun to just build some crazy things

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
We are leaning to FTB now after a lot of testing, we want to go with as few mods as possible and FTB seems a little better put together with it's launcher.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm kind of disappointed that these mods can't run Bukkit anymore. I'm sure there will be a lot of plugin replacements for the new system but still, it's not going to be as good as bukkit. On the plus side, it does look like they are updating quicker to the latest mc version.

What new system or mod don't work with bukkit anymore? All of my servers are running bukkit with 1.4.7 without any issues, granted I'm only running essentials, borderguard, dynmap, remote toolkit and a few other minor plugins, but I haven't heard anyone complaining of issues with any of them.

--Oh nvm, I see the discussion was about tekkit and ftb. I don't have either of those running.

Last edited:

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
We are leaning to FTB now after a lot of testing, we want to go with as few mods as possible and FTB seems a little better put together with it's launcher.
It seems like even more of a massive mod compared to something like Tekkit Lite or the new Voltz.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
We have actually decided to just build our own 'pack' for use on our server. There were mods we wanted not in FTB and mods we didn't want that FTB provided. Right now we are at about 17 mods.