Who still plays a really old PC game? (at least semi-regularly)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I occasionally go back and play Full Throttle all the way through. I turn on Duke Nukem 3D but usually only make it through a level or 2. I also did Diablo 1 not terribly long ago, but it's been a while I guess.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
oh hell yea. I'm playing through Deus Ex right now.

I love old school games.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
X-Com: UFO Defense (on Steam). This one the most. Others here and there.
xcom-1994.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I run through HL1 (and 2, and both Portal games) at least once a year, plus DOS stuff like Commander Keen sometimes.

Mostly I like old console games because my family will play them with me. Super Mario 3 is way fun. Plus the old GC version of Mario Kart. I need to get on that new 200cc version on the Wii U, that looks dang fun...

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
X-Com: UFO Defense (on Steam). This one the most. Others here and there.
xcom-1994.jpg

X-Com games were amazing. I grew up on Terror from the Deep, including not knowing about the research tree bug that prevented you from beating the game. I still play them occasionally. Doom as well. I'm working through Doom 1 episode 4 right now.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I play bunch of games from time to time.

Dynamite Dan
Boulder Dash
Moon Patrol
Green Beret
Frogger
Hexen
System Shock
Quake 2

I am happy that I was able to get Dynamite Dan going via simulator, impossible to finish at least to me.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I haven't put any games on my new pc, but if I did, I'd put starcraft/broodwar and medieval 1 and 2 total war.

Oh, jedi outcast and bf2.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I play Ultima Online every now and then, well, I run a server, so I am 99% on my admin char and not actually playing. Working on Christmas event right now.

I also play on the official servers. I've always played free servers and decided to check out the real thing. Been playing this game for about 10 years now.

I still play UT3 every now and then, if that counts as an old game.

How's UO this day? I was on it since first release, I still remember the fireball kill bug lol. I quit after a major update that f'd up all five of my GM character and some mfer moongate into my house and loot everything I had.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I still play Civ 3.

BTW is there anyway to play old school DOS game in W10? Would like to revisit some "number pad" DOS game.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I still play Age of Empires II regularly. It's awesome that a game from 1999 just got another expansion released.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Maybe not a traditional purchase and play game, but I'm rocking some Gemstone IV as we speak.

quakeworld

Aug 5, 2009
still play quake (quakeworld) using ezquake against bots everyday. quick 10 minute match on dm2, dm4 or dm6. people still play online but in EU. the NA is scene dead. LONG LIVE QW!!!

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i still have nox and system shock 2 on my laptop, play them once in a while at work in between projects and such. sys shock 2 is getting increasingly hard to run on newer machines, this may be the last one i try it on. lots of crashes and video bugs this time.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Total Annihilation. Been playing that over the years.

Thing is though I downloaded Postal 2 earlier this year and I've been stuck on it since. It's all I play anymore.

I have Descent 3 installed but had trouble configuring my mouse and keyboard controls into a intuitive layout. So it sits unused. Maybe if I give it another go I can get it right. Used to play it all the time in college.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I've still got an old F-22 Lightning III install. I haven't really looked into anything new yet. Turn on the infinite-ammo cheat and it turns into something like a scrolling shooter from the Raptor era, where you're death in the sky, but can only take two hits. :D

Command and Conquer Red Alert also gets fired up from time to time.

I suppose I should upgrade to something a bit more recent. Elite Dangerous sounds interesting.

Simcity 4, Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, BF2 (I mod the maps), Mupen N64 emulator and play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and a Mario All Stars emulator. I have yet to pass Mario 3 without cheating. LOL

And I can play all this on a Dell Precision M6300!
SC4 was excellent. Very complex, large-scale, moddable, and it never had any online-only DRM/digital-rights-revocation BS built in.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Shouldn't this be in the gaming forum?

Steam has given me access to tons of great old games, and I still play a bunch of them regularly. Flight Simulator is probably the oldest.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
UT99, Doom 3, Quake 4, Bioshock, etc..

unfortunately my UT99 server is down due to a bad hdd.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I just started playing Ultima IV again. I also have infocom lost treasuries for my iPad. I need my notepad and hand made maps for tho

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
Not really old but I keep playing Battlefield 2 and the original Star Wars Battlefront. I really need to find a modern single player replacement.

BF2, me too. I check in every couple of weeks to play a sniper-only server where the game requires tons of patience and cunning.

It's actually more intense than the run-n-gun nonsense that dominates BF4.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
One of these days I'm going to dust off my Apple II+ and play Loderunner again. That's something like 30 years old.

We had Lode runner on the 2E, I believe 1984 ....

We got Lode Runner again when we had the 486dx, but, it was much easier to edit the maps, and it was nice playing it on a color monitor. You can probably find it on abandoned software sites (legality???), and play through dosbox or something...